What does Sup Forums think about spending ~$500 on a watch

What does Sup Forums think about spending ~$500 on a watch

>pic related can't afford

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=gy4tXbm-HN4
youtube.com/watch?v=2kzP0CvjWpk
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

do it, i love it when i see peasants & bitches glance over at my watch

If you can spare the money and want it, buy it.

Don't get some designer shit with a cheap quartz movement for the name. Get a quality watch with a good movement.

My everyday Zenith cost about £1000. It's super-thin for an automatic movement, keeps time to within 40 seconds per week and, at 38mm case diameter, fits my wrist (fuck my skinny-wrist genes).

Not many people know what a Zenith is, so I wear it for me, not what others think.

Pic is similar except mine has all batons

Looks like a cheap fucking piece of shit

absolutely retarded, like seriously

500$ for a watch makes u a peasant when others have some worth many thousands

>watch
>in the year of our lord 2016
use your fucking phone faguette.

well he never said his was 500$ that was OP, he was talking about them looking at HIS own watch.... which is likely a fake

I'd much rather spend 500 on a MotoGen 2 with customization, which I have and is baller. Check emails/calls from your watch without having to constantly get your phone out, yes please.

My phone does the same better...

It's okay if it's not a piece of shit and you LIKE watches.

>40 seconds per week

What the actual fuck? I wear an $80 watch that has a crack on the face and I loose like 5 seconds ever few months. Something is wrong.

There's a damn bit of a difference between paying more than 500 keks for a watch and paying however many thousands for a stupid looking Rolex

I'd go as high as 1500

KEK you think that is baller? are you serious, you normies never fail to entertain

why do you care what people think?

luxury watches are for rich men who want to show off or men who want to become one of them.

Real men wear pocket watch's now that's some timeless classy shit, anything else is just beta fags wishing to be alpha
>my actual watch

I just bought a gshock ga700 for 99 bucks. which is an awesome watch. I'll be getting the gshock ga110 sometime early 2017 as well. Big fan of their watches. The one I truely want is way too expensive. lol.

Idk, man. My watch was

I have wanted pic related for several years, but could never afford.

Now that I can afford I know there is other shit I need to do with my money, like make more money.

So I dont own pic related. I would like to though.

More fedora than a fedora

Thank you
>tip fedora

I'd buy two watches for 250 and wear them both at the same time.

if you r unable or not willing to spend at least 2k, usd or euros, don t even bother, a decent watch no autistic rolex shit though is at least 2k

It is a cool accessory, I'm not gonna waste 6000 on a Mariner when I can't afford that kind of luxury yet.

No, it's a mechanical movement, not a quartz.

Definition of an officially certified mechanical chronometer is better than -4 +6 seconds per day.

Mine isn't a certified chronometer

I have a Rolex which is say around $5k-$6k (not sure on the current price), and I have an Omega Seamaster (Bond version). Of course, both of these are automatics and virtually timeless in design. I still get plenty of comments on both watches no matter where I am.

To those of you who keep saying "why, I have a phone for time"; you won't ever get it. Having a hand-made, precision timepiece is a bit of luxury... But it's the quality of watch, it's engineering and materials which brings people to buy these things. It's not so much the "ROLEX" aspect (at least for me).

I'm all for it, I don't wear any kind of jewelry. Having a nice watch is a statement without looking like a flashy jackass. I currently wear a blue faced Movado museum watch.

The watch in this pic is way fucking more than 500.00

Agreed. I sold my Rolex (bi-metal steel) to buy my Zenith, as at the time people were having Rolexes removed from their wrists by Jerome and his friends

> you won't ever get it.
Youre right. I think people who buy expensive watches are just tricked

At $500 thats not a real rolex, more like $3-5k

If you want it and you can afford it, I don't see any reason why you shouldn't. People who go around lecturing other people on how they should spend their money are jealous idiots. I had a friend who was rather poor but could not stop talking trash about other friends when they bought something he couldn't afford but obviously wanted himself. I called his bullshit and the little bitch got upset. Suffice to say, we're not friends anymore.

$3k - $5k? Those were prices over 15 years ago. Today, the least expensive Datejust from Rolex (stainless) is starting at $5600 from what I recall.

I don't really see the point of expensive watches unless you need them specifically for a job or hobby type thing. One exception is skeleton watches. If I were to spend a lot of money on a watch I would want a skeleton one so I can see all the tiny gears that were ever so painstakingly machined.

If you are able to then I say do it, I dropped right around 2500 for my time piece. If you do it I suggest doing a lot of research on it before shelling over the cash. I ended up going with the valjoux 7750 movement on a custom watch.

That looks like a $40 Timex

I have a omega seamaster automatic too. I didnt buy it for anyoene else to look at just because i could afford it. 18 years on its still pretty much worth what i bought it for which i couldnt say for any other watch i own.

Exactly. It attracts no attention at all, yes it's a Swiss-made watch whose manufacturer makes their own movements.

You'll probably not get your head around that

Funny thats when i last bought one!

Having a nice timepiece that you care for is good. Part of who you are and what you wear. It's like a fine suit. But like a suit, a watch won't "make" you. The amount of people who will recognize a very nice, yet smaller, watch company is well below 10%. You're not going to get oohs and ahs most of the time if you're wearing a Junkers, Frederique Constant, Hamilton, or even a nice Seiko.

While the dress-to-impress is Omega, Rolex, IWC, etc., You can't afford that and are therefore in a position to buy a watch that fits you and your personality and fashion rather than "one that is cool".
$500 is a good spot for quality/recognition/durability. I'd suggest $750-1000, but but that's just where my preferred watches lie. I appreciate a good mechanical watch, not so much paying an extra $9,000 just for the name.

Anyway, you can spend your own money any way you want to. Don't let the neets ITT make you feel stupid. My advice, though, would be to save up. Don't buy until you are absolutely sure you won't regret spending the money. Can you put away $50/Mo just for this? Then you can have the watch you've been eyeing by Thanksgiving 2017.

Pic related, my nice mechanical watch I bought for ~$1000 after saving up. Got it as a self-gift once I got a nice promotion. Haven't regretted the purchase once. Wore it my wedding, will probably give it to my kid someday

Seikos cant be beat

Watches are still practical. I use one when flying. Cops need them, nurses/docs need them etc. its really impractical to dig for your phone (or carry it at all sometimes) when you need to note the time or start a countdown.

Yeah, I got my Bond Seamaster for such a low price (from a watch dealer who was closing)... It's worth way more than I bought it for. I think the new version of my watch is nearly $4000 (same face and bracelet).

I wear it everyday...

lol I got my mine in 2004.

>I'd get a skeleton watch

I, also, was a teenager once

Buy a decent quality rep from Andrew at admin AT trustytimezone Dot com. He's trustworthy in the replica watch world.

1. Ask for an ETA brand movement, you might get one.

2. Don't buy a gold rep, it wears off quick.

3. Learn how to care for an automatic watch.

Study up on the rep forums, you have a lot of homework to do. Find the watch you want to buy a genuine one of, and get the rep for a hundred or two first. Good way to live with it BEFORE you drop thousands on the gen. (Don't ask how I know all this!)

I'm 33. I just think seeing the gears move is really neat.

And here is the front face it is blurry as it was in my winder but you get the idea of it.

Ok, so I am kind of a mechanical watch enthusiast, so I am biased but I think there is a decent argument for a good mechanical watch in 2016.

Today everything is disposable. Cars, phones, and most other parts of life are often cheaper to just replace than fix. Men don't generally have a possession to hold on to and look after over time. Women typically have jewelery, but most men do not. Although antiquated, a good watch is an opportunity to hold on to a functional object for a very long time in a world where almost everything gets thrown away like a tissue. It is an enduring, special object in a throwaway culture. I place I high value on a single object being with me and useful for years on end when everything else changes so fast. Obviously you can make the same argument for a woman to have a nice watch, I just wanted to present it through a male lens first.

You know, I see what he is saying though, I will watch the back of mine for minutes at a time in awe of the movement of it. That being said, I wouldn't have a skeleton watch...

if its genuine, its a bargain.

kys the best advice I can offer you

I used to think those were slick, too. But it takes me twice as long to comprehend the actual time on those with all that background noise. Also, I grew out of that style years ago.

mah nigga, this is the type of mentality that will make you wealthy one day. I can easily afford to buy luxury goods like a Rolex, but I don't cause retiring when 50 with a couple mil in the bank is gonna be fucking lit

^^This guy gets it^^

For some people $500 is not a lot of money, so for them, its fine. If you work for wages or salary, $500 can be many many hours of work, so you better REALLY like watches.

I'm guessing most people don't like watches as much or more as other things $500 can buy, so they're just buying it because GQ told them they'd get pussy that way. Like everything else men's magazine's say... it WILL work for you if you're good looking, because everything works for good looking people.

Very few people care how expensive the watch is. If you're a gearhead and it's your thing... go you, but otherwise you're just trying to signal others about yourself, and you already know what watches say about people (for the people who choose to show off via accessories they wear).

If you have a big, shiny metal one, some people will assume you are old and/or have money. Just like anything you wear to signal how rich you are, the kind of people who are drawn to that are the only ones who will really notice. A big metal watch says "my wife got me this for my anniversary" or "I really really care about money".

If you have a normal-looking one with a leather strap, people will think it looks nice. I've gotten compliments from a $60 watch I bought at the mall before. That's all most people care about.

If you have a clunky digital sports watch that looks like a kid's toy, people will think you're a dork. You probably are, but at least you own it. I bet your watch can tell you my darkest secrets.

I only buy swiss watches, poor fag.

~swiss fag

Totally

the only watch you should be wearing

Start with a good Seiko diver. Under a couple hundred on ebay, bulletproof movement, excellent lume, and a great entry into the auto watch world.

Good working watch but you clearly dont get the difference.

Oops, forgot a lume shot!

The engineering feat that is accurate timekeeping is impressive, sure. I'm just saying you could get something that looks JUST like that for peanuts. People will probably assume Zenith is a cheap brand unless you told them what you said in this post.

I'll wear an Apple Watch at those times when I have to look like I'm not a pleb, but in the satellite age, accurate mechanical timekeeping is pure novelty.

while an accurate statement, yes. the same could be said about pretty much anything, I can look at digital photo from the top of half dome, but actually hiking and looking off of it are two drastically different things.

This was an $80 rep I bought many years ago. Wore it during 73 Easting. Toughest timepiece I've ever owned. Haven't serviced it even once, and it always starts with a gentle swirl.

Cool if you got the money

>I'm just saying you could get something that looks JUST like that for peanuts.
I know. I could also have got a huge chunk of well-known bling for the £1000.
>People will probably assume Zenith is a cheap brand unless you told them what you said in this post
Not my job to educate people and I don't care if they think it's a piece of cheap tat. I'm really not interested in what people think.

I know it's a fine Swiss timepiece by one of the better, but lesser-known makers.

You probably won't understand because I'm not about the flash.

An example to try to explain: one of the favourite cars I've owned was a Volvo V70 T5. I de-badged it and had it Polestar chipped. Looked just like a bog-standard Volvo estate, no big or fancy wheels, no twin tailpipes, no fancy trim or obvious go-faster bits. Over 300 bhp and buckets of torque, but nobody knew until they suddenly realised it was in front of them.

>braided watchband

hello new friend

Worth it

some watches cost 300,000.

youtube.com/watch?v=gy4tXbm-HN4

youtube.com/watch?v=2kzP0CvjWpk

some are completely wooden

>
>
>>braided watchband
Braided flat paracord watchband. All the silly operators and bad actors are wearing them at the range, kid. Get on my level.

Either buy a Swiss timepiece or forgot about wearing a watch.

>will probably give it to my kid someday
Just remember to carry it in your ass before

faggot welfare queen.

The watches I wear are in the $100 range.

"Going out" watches are at max $250

But my regular everyday watch is a Pulsar
I don't worry about scratching it, it works great and it wears well.

Ana-digi's are fun, too. I was wearing this when I pulled my future wife out of a herd of nubile college pussy.

WTF it's painted black?

Kill yourself. Fake watches for fake people, and that's a shitty fake at that. Also a braded strap?

I picked this up new for $50 near the old Port Orient bar at Subic before Pinatubo wiped it out. Cheap 21j movement, but it works every time I swirl it into life.

I thought armed forces used these kinds of watchbands in combat. Course I dont know shit, but my dad had a watch strap like this. Are they still used/practical?

it was nylon with velcro closure. Pic is shit, but its the first one that popped up when I searched.

man them squinty eye people can do anything, they make good knock off suits too

It looks like the plating is coming off

(Off a stainless steel watch?)

I've never liked them. They're itchy on me, ymmv.

Nah, everybody wears what they want. Most of the FNG's wear gshocks. I never liked them, but I'm odd. Something about the whole world crashing around me, but inside my watch case, all's well. A tiny bit of order in a FUBAR world.

Here's a 21j Breitling Chrono Evolution rep I'm building from spare parts. Still looking for two hands and the 3 and 6 o'clock bezel pointers. The UTC module runs on a battery.

Nah, it's just really scrubbed! That watch is all solid stainless, even the links in the band. Heavy as fuck.

someone please explain to me why there are 3 dials in the watch.

Why is your watch wearing a watch? Does it ask the little one what the time is to keep in check?

Generally, a chronograph has one sub-dial that records elapsed minutes and is graded in segments of 30, while another sub-dial graded in segments of 12 records elapsed hours. The third sub-dial may show the elapsed seconds, or, if the seconds are counted by a central sweeping hand on the main dial, this sub-dial may count fractions of a second. If the third sub-dial runs continuously even when the stopwatch is not running, it is most likely used in conjunction with the main dial and is independent of the chronograph feature.

My Gucci watch was $1000.

Yup, some amazing stuff out there. You should see some of the display back Panerai's they're making. Nearly perfect replica. Of course, any competent watchsmith or Genuine employee can spot them fairly quick, but even some of the bigtime collectors can't. The guys with a couple hundred reps, and 5 or 6 genuine watches worth a few thousand each.

You know, many rich guys, rappers, and movie/TV people have a rep for all their gens? Keep the good one in the safe, wear the junk when you're in a tough part of town or you think you'll beat it up.

When the rep falls off or gets stolen, claim the gen on insurance! Profit.

I've been considering getting a chronograph watch that has 1/1000 timing on it. the ga110. For no particular reason. maybe i'll learn to time travel.

Gucci is utter shit when regarding watches. Sorry kid.

I am betting he didn't buy a watch, he bought a nameplate bracelet. there is a huge difference.

>~$500
So cute
At least cough out a few grands dude.
5k is the initial price for good quality watches.

It is still shit, tho

Gucci watches used to be made in the same factory as Fossil. Don't believe it? Go to a higher-end Macy's and compare. You can find nearly the exact same model from both makes, just with a different logo stamped.

I found out from the sales person at Macy's itself. She even showed me the shipping cartons, which were exactly the same except for the model numbers and customer name.

BWAHAHAHA! Yeah, they talk to each other!

A UTC module is a way to have the time in two different timezones. Set one to London, one to NY. Handy for pilots and world travelers. Breitling is very airplane oriented. Most of their line is built for pilots.

Universal
Time,
Coordinated

Unless you wear business professional or golf outfits, you look like a trashy drug dealer who doesn't know what to spend his money on while thinking everyone is a "peasant".

It's only good if you have the outfits that go with the watch. Otherwise you throw words around like "bling bling".

That's precisely my point. Fossil is utter shit as well.

However, in perspective, Gucci watches are even worse, since they are more expensive and a more obscene raping of idiots like that user.

You fags are just mad.