Why is post rock so bad?

why is post rock so bad?
>amateur musicianship
>boring ass songs
>melodically bankrupt
>fucking 3 chords stretched out over 20 minutes
>quirky sound effects instead of clever instrumentation
not only does it suck, but each song is over 20 minutes long, making it even more unlistenable.

It's like ambient, only it sucks

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=hfgvMPJkvD4
youtube.com/watch?v=CpEILvXQaZM
youtube.com/watch?v=79pmP4FjnXc
noisey.vice.com/en_us/article/sigur-ros-is-for-adult-babies
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

thats only godspeed you black emperor, which do suck. Theres some post-rock i like but a lot of it is music for pretentious rockists

Post rock is bullshit. Food for hipsters.

youtube.com/watch?v=hfgvMPJkvD4

>implying

Agreed
Post Rock is a fucking cancer

ok at best
The best rock scenes rn are desert rock and black metal (personal opinion)

because anything called "post-rock" shouldn't have a specific, easily-identifiable sound. and yet it does

Post Rock is basically elevator music but even more soulless and boring

>tfw I unironically love post rock
I don't even know why I go here

Post-rock is one of those genres that seems amazing when you first discover it but then realize that most bands are dull derivative garbage

Sort of like shoegaze

Which is weird because both those genres have a ton of potential for artistic development but nothing new seems to ever happen

bingo
that being said more good shoegaze then good post rock

shoegayz is better than post rock though

At least elevator music has some kind of melody. These post rock pieces are endless and tuneless.

It's honestly amazing because it's gay as fuck and I love it for that. If it was str8 it would probably have been Nu Metal tier cancer.

I feel you mang,
I think you're just not finding the right stuff. There's a good bit of variety in shoegaze and while post-rock has become crescendo core there are still plenty of interesting artists that I don't think the genre should be written off entirely.
They're amazing combined though.

Honestly you guys are saying shit I couldn't have said any better.

that's so fucking accurate
you find like two-three good bands and think
>wow, this genre is pretty great, hope there's more good shit here
no
there is not

mathrock is also like this, albeit with some more good bands

nr
they're just sorta boring. It takes the part of shoegaze that rocks out of shoegaze.

>They're amazing combined though.
rec me some good albums that do this pham

>Sup Forums suddenly hates post-rock
What the fuck happened???

It became less cancerous and full of neckbeards probably

Like what? the only good shoe gaze bands I know of are MBV and early mercury rev. Ride sucks overall and there is an endless stream of shit shoe gaze bands. That being said not a fan of much post rock either

The Texas-Jerusalem Crossroads

because neither should really be considered a genre

neither messing around with pedals or using rock instruments to create something more abstract than the traditional rock song is really criteria for a genre. bands in any rock genre can do either of those songs, having it as the core foundation of the music being created and not just a tool or technique to be used when the situation requires it leads to incredibly boring music with no variation

but since people fall for marketing so easily, lazy bands have found success by just blatantly ripping off the sound of one or two bands who happened to get labelled with the genre (in this case mbv and gy!be)

>Sup Forums is one person
kill you are self

and maybe coctuea twins, there okay.

I always thought Sup Forums hated post rock except for GY!BE and maybe Sigur Rós. Apparently I'm wrong

The Twilight Sad
HANL
That Kairon Irse album

They're sub-genres though.

Funny because I felt exactly the same way about blackgaze and post-metal

Sup Forums pretty much hates third wave post-rock in general

*either of those things

and it's worth pointing out that the original first wave post-rock bands (the only ones worth listening to) all came from completely different contexts within rock music, weren't originally labelled as post-rock and most importantly weren't trying to make post-rock. same with shoegaze to a lesser extent. mbv was a post-punk band at first and it shows. ride has more in common with neo-psychedelia

they're not even that. slint and talk talk sound nothing alike. they're not the same genre

>GY!BE and maybe Sigur Rós
Probably in earlier phase, now it's all about circlejering first wave like Slint, Swans, Talk Talk and Bark Psychosis

In fairness, slint could easily be considered math rock.

slint and swans have been Sup Forumscore for at least five years user. same with talk talk really

GY!BE is mostly liked, I sure love them.
Sigur is pretty ambivalent.
Swans could also qualify as post-rock and are pretty popular here.

Shit like Explosions in the Sky, God is an Astronaut and all the other reddit-tier derivative heaps of garbage - those are the hated ones.

That's my take at least.

false
youtube.com/watch?v=CpEILvXQaZM

Explosions in the Sky sound like Coldplay instrumentals stretched to 7 minutes

65daysofstatic are one of those abnds that I should like more than I do, they have cool ideas, but they are not very well executed.

>no-man's-sky-core

any band as popular/seminal in their genre as godspeed is going to get a lot of shit on Sup Forums. and I think they get an extra bit of shit because they popularised the sound that so many generic third wave bands ended up copying

tbf the Soundtrack was the only good thing about that game

>everyone who doesn't like what I like are neckbeards

nr
Theres some pretty neckbeardy shit I like. Just nothing quite as cancerous as post rock.

it was not bad, but not thrilling either
it did fit the game though, i gotta admit

these image captchas are retarded btw

ITT: contrarians

Listen to HUM's You'd Probably prefer an Astronaught or Auto Lux's Future Perfect and Pussys Dead
Also shoegaze has more ties to texture based music so if you're going into it for rock you're setting yourself up for disappointment.

You might actually be retarded

does the twilight sad sound anything like the other two?
if it does it must be based asf

No it's just indie rock with more reverb

ah fuck

It's still ok though
youtube.com/watch?v=79pmP4FjnXc

damn that's a thick accent

They're Scottish

Pretty much this

I mean I'm into Black Metal and my favorite shoegaze band is probably either curve or the boo radlies so probably not.

First wave post-rock (stuff like Stereolab, Moonshake, Tortoise, Th Faith Healers, Slint and Pram) is a very interesting an varied genre.

It's the third wave post rock where it all gone wrong.

noisey.vice.com/en_us/article/sigur-ros-is-for-adult-babies

This