/classical/

Young composers edition

>General Folder #1. Renaissance up to 20th century/modern classical. Also contains a folder of live recordings/recitals by some outstanding performers.
mega.co.nz/#F!mMYGhBgY!Ee_a6DJvLJRGej-9GBqi0A
>General Folder #2. Mostly Romantic up to 20th century/modern, but also includes recordings of music by Bach, Mozart and others
mega.co.nz/#F!lIh3GRpY!piUs-QdhZACFt2hGtX39Rw
>General Folder #3. Mostly 20th century/modern with other assorted bits and pieces
mega.co.nz/#F!Y8pXlJ7L!RzSeyGemu6QdvYzlfKs67w
>General Folder #4. Renaissance up to early/mid-20th century. Also contains a folder of Scarlatti sonate and another live recording/recital folder.
mega.co.nz/#F!kMpkFSzL!diCUavpSn9B-pr-MfKnKdA
>General Folder #5. Renaissance up to late 19th century
mega.co.nz/#F!ekBFiCLD!spgz8Ij5G0SRH2JjXpnjLg
>General Folder #6. Very eclectic mix
mega.co.nz/#F!O8pj1ZiL!mAfQOneAAMlDlrgkqvzfEg
>Renaissance Folder #1. Mass settings
mega.co.nz/#F!ygImCRjS!1C9L77tCcZGQRF6UVXa-dA
>Renaissance Folder #2. Motets and madrigals (plus Leiden choirbooks)
mega.co.nz/#F!il5yBShJ!WPT0v8GwCAFdOaTYOLDA1g
>Debussy. There is an accompanying chart, available on request.
mega.co.nz/#F!DdJWUBBK!BeGdGaiAqdLy9SBZjCHjCw
>Opera Folder. Contains recorded video productions of about 10 well-known operas, with a bias towards late Romantic
mega.co.nz/#F!4EVlnJrB!PRjPFC0vB2UT1vrBHAlHlw

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=nnk78xvil14
youtube.com/watch?v=42cVbfcDKag
youtube.com/watch?v=cwNwuIt1GjU
youtube.com/watch?v=XD4kNY34AoE
youtu.be/lu0xLLuXTgQ?list=PLVsq55dF2rEOCTvX1yUi0Y4wjZnsDQdQD
vocaroo.com/i/s1vgFEauH3KF
monoskop.org/images/d/da/Schoenberg_Arnold_Fundamentals_of_Musical_Composition_no_OCR.pdf
youtube.com/watch?v=9zHWp9nEL0s
youtube.com/watch?v=Q1XNlrb0UQg
youtube.com/watch?v=eHdu7meKk00
youdubber.com/index.php?video=_Ka289l3W0Q&video_start=0&audio=k-Tw1sqzkfk&audio_start=6
youtube.com/watch?v=n74kKqwWViU&t=1263s
youtube.com/watch?v=SusSQfxyMiE
youtube.com/watch?v=79Zzyyq3oII
youtube.com/watch?v=ol-uN2OxEYw
youtube.com/watch?v=DsB4woyXoXE
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

reminds me i need to get a haircut

Also still working on the copypasta

Taking suggestions

Brahms

youtube.com/watch?v=nnk78xvil14

Hindemith - Concert Music for brass and strings Op. 50
youtube.com/watch?v=42cVbfcDKag

CPE
youtube.com/watch?v=cwNwuIt1GjU

>implying classical is good
eurofolk/neofolk>>>>>>>>>>classical

Excellent. Recommend me some good European folk from before World War II.

What's this about a copypasta?

>tfw haven't gotten a haircut in months

Name your favorite composer thats NOT in the canon

Zelenka

Romantic > Contemporary > Baroque > Modernist > Classical > Medieval > Renaissance

you know it's true

t. retard who knows jack shit about theory

faggot

Who counts as a composer not in the canon?

does John Williams count?

disgusting

Nothing has ever been published about their music

lol sure kid

Examples?

Spent half of my 50 freeleech tokens on Bach albums. Why is he so amazing?

Josef Suk

fuck off PTH/curry scum.

if hindemith was friends with morrissey he would be hindesmiths

maybe

if hindemith was figuratively handy he would be handymith

If HIndemith were into glass working then he would be Windowsmith

if hindemith walked outside in the winter he would wear hindemitts

youtube.com/watch?v=XD4kNY34AoE

I'm very new to composition and wondering if anyone here can have a look at this opening to a string quartet I've written. I'm trying to stay between the root and dominant chord, hopefully that's done succesfully. Any kind of feedback would be appreciated.

Theory is irrelevant.

sorry forgot picture

bog

its beautiufl user

Romantic > Classical > Modernist > Baroque > Renaissance > Contemporary > Medieval

any other ranking is objectively false

Thoughts on Jean Langlais?

youtu.be/lu0xLLuXTgQ?list=PLVsq55dF2rEOCTvX1yUi0Y4wjZnsDQdQD

Baroque=Classical IMO

In general, add the leading tone (B#) to the dominant chords where you want to emphasize the return to the tonic.

Clean up measure 4 and 5 some. suddenly having the viola double the cello at the octave is a bit abrupt. maybe have the viola follow the violin 1 part down a sixth? Also, the falling figure in the violin 1 part first two beats of measure 5 is very common in V-I progressions. Should you choose to change the harmony in the first half of measure 5 to a dominant chord (personally I think it sounds better that way, but you be the judge), change the underlying harmony (in half notes) in measure 4 to F#7-Bm. This lets you have a nice chromatic line (maybe in the violin 2?) going A#-B-B#-C#. Under all that, the cello in measure 5 going from G# to C# would definitely strengthen the tonal center (I assume that's what you want if you're trying to stay between the root and dominant chord).

It's fine for now, but later definitely spice up the viola and cello parts.

Thanks very much. I'm uneducated enough to not understand all of this, but I've tried to interpret and apply some of what you have said; see pic related.

There's also an mp3 here vocaroo.com/i/s1vgFEauH3KF

Give me your top 40 favourite organists.

Ugh, can it be ANY number other than 40? I just don't want to be reminded of... THAT top 40. *retches*

Helmut

Cherubini.

Being "in the canon" is somewhat open to interpretation, all composers of all time could be considered "in the canon". If you mean the commonly played repertoire, then Martinů
legitimately underrated composer

Its not great but keep at it. Look at the scores of great composers, see how they handle melody, harmony and form. For string quartets look at Haydn, Beethoven, Janacek and Bartok
Also clyp.it > vocaroo in terms of quality

Pretty sure all of these guys are more or less canonical.

Jan Kalivoda, Norbert Burgmuller, Franz Lachner, Johannes Verhulst, Franz Xaver Schnyder von Wartensee, Eduard Franck, Carl Reinecke, Johann Joseph Abert, Woldemar Bargiel, Robert Volkmann, Albert Dietrich, Felix Draeseke, and Friedrich Gernsheim.

Define the musical canon then. Come up with something better than this idiocy

Thanks for the advice. I'll have a look at Bartok's because I've enjoyed his. I've also tried looking at Ravel's string quartet because it's probably my favourite.

Yep the Ravel and Debussy quartets are masterworks.
Are you studying composition? or just having a crack at it?
If you're not studying it, reading Schoenberg's "Fundamentals of Musical Composition" can give you some good ideas about how to write themes and work with form.

Just having a go at it, I did the basics of music theory a long time ago at school (GCSE music). I'll purchase that book, I've heard it recommended and wasn't sure if it was too advanced or not, but it sounds like it might be good for me.

There's a few free PDFs floating around
monoskop.org/images/d/da/Schoenberg_Arnold_Fundamentals_of_Musical_Composition_no_OCR.pdf

This thread is now dedicated to early Baroque.

youtube.com/watch?v=9zHWp9nEL0s

youtube.com/watch?v=Q1XNlrb0UQg

not that guy but thanks for this, looks pretty interesting

> Post your favorite Bassoon Concertos.

youtube.com/watch?v=eHdu7meKk00

youdubber.com/index.php?video=_Ka289l3W0Q&video_start=0&audio=k-Tw1sqzkfk&audio_start=6

>boogie-boogie-jiggy-boogie-jiggy-boogie-jiggy-boogie

Baroque and early classical era music is the most intellectually impressive from an academic's point of view, but as music it tends to sound a little bland and expressionless. On the other hand, romantic and late romantic era music is overly melodramatic and expressive to the point of being vulgar and artificial.

There is only one composer who managed to write intellectually sophisticated music that was still interesting, sang from the heart, but didn't whore itself out by forcing drama and theatrics like Wagner and Brahms did. The only truly great composer, for me, is Beethoven.

youtube.com/watch?v=n74kKqwWViU&t=1263s

youtube.com/watch?v=SusSQfxyMiE

>as music it tends to sound a little bland and expressionless
nope, you're 100% wrong.

Wow more empty plinky-plinky, noodling tripe, and tragicomical pianisms in a single sonata than in all of Chopin's works. How do bogbillies even pretend?

B O G
I
L
L
I
E
S

What a stupid comment. Why would you screencap this?

t. butthurt child psychologist feminist employed by big pharma

>Young composers edition
I costantly imagine music (sometimes in my room I'll just start conducting imagined string quartets and piano pieces in my head), but I've got no musical training.
I don't think that it is well structured (for example I'm pretty sure that the harmony is either too randomic or too derivative), but the melodies are usually original enough for me to not link them to any piece of music I've heard so far, and I'm pretty sure I've got a talent for motivic developement, since on a single theme I can spend even hours tweaking it in all shapes and forms, with very few repetitions.
How much time should I put into the craft to get something out of it? How much study is required to be able to structure this music and transcribe it?
Is it one of those things I could do in a year or two?
Also notice that I already play classical guitar at a almost virtuoso level, but my theory is completely lacking. My sight reading and solfage skills are, instead, on point.

Buy some theory books and some sheet paper and start writing, all the time.

I'm not thinking about becoming a self-taught composer, I am pretty sure that I can get to learn it with some pretty good composers and theorists in my city.
Yet I still don't know how much time and work is required to become at the very least decent, if not proficient. In a year from now I'll write full-fledged string quartets, or will I still deal with writing simple melodic lines? How hard it is to learn theory, melody and harmony?

Get a teacher, and practice writing all the time if you wanna learn it, that's self-evident. Start writing a string quartet right now if you want to write a string quartet, I'm not sure I understand the question.

Petzold

Your forced meme is a tired meme.

youtube.com/watch?v=79Zzyyq3oII

Which composer would you eliminate from history?

Mozart

Shostakovitch moar liek, shostablowvitch

All of them.

Carlos Seixas, Mattheus Pipelare, Johann Caspar Kerll, Mateo Flecha, Francesco Gasparini, Antonio Bertali, Anthoni van Noordt, Giovanni Girolamo Kapsperger, Gioseffo Guami, Johann Baptist Vanhal.
Where do you get your music from? I remember searching for some of these composers and getting nothing.

> but I've got no musical training.
Ignore what everyone else suggested. They give stupid advice. Learn to play an instrument, practice until you can play the melodies in your head on your instrument of choice. Learning music theory and composition techniques is putting the cart before the horse. Composers that write their music straight down on paper are EXTREMELY RARE. Not even Mozart composed like that. He always used a fortepiano or a harpsichord to fiddle around and get a sketch of a composition tight, in playing. Think of it as piano reduction in reverse. The piano allows for most elaboration, but you can do the same thing on any instrument on which you can play chords. You can also do it on instruments that can't, but there you're limited to experimenting with the melody only.

Same advice to the other user that posted a small composition ITT: audition your music before you write it down. Hum, whistle! Whatever.
Staff notation is not a tool used in composition per se. Unlike in painting, here the paper is not your canvas. It is a mnemonic device you use while you compose (while you hum to yourself for example, the melody will naturally change and you have a high chance of forgetting where you started with the melody -- which is why you write it down), and a storage schema after you're done. The snippet you posted is a cacophony (no offence), because, I am pretty sure, you did not audition your music. You can't simply apply some composition rules and expect to get a good result. You shouldn't even expect a mediocre result.

Music is a dynamic art. Composition =/= writing stuff in staff notation.

garbage OP, just shitpost until bump limit

The second comment is not me. I always put spaces between the letters like this:

B O G

I

L

L

I

E

S

See?

This. But mainly B*ch.

Please adopt a tripcode.

Why does AoF sound so autistic on a piano?

Am I pleb for liking it on organ better?

youtube.com/watch?v=ol-uN2OxEYw

Have some music and crawl out of the bog already.

I cannot emphasise this enough: this is imbecilic advice! Do you have perfect pitch? Then you might have a small chance in succeeding with composing like that.

Learn a fucking instrument.

It's not a fucking accident that virtually every composition course either recommends or downright makes it mandatory for you to also minor in some instrument (typically piano).

underrated post

youtube.com/watch?v=DsB4woyXoXE

>scriabin's marginal pieces are more musical than anything peathoven made

who is this qt

(You)

back to your containment thread

>ranking baroque in third to pretend you know your stuff
xD

Modern > Romantic > Baroque > Renaissance > Contemporary > Classical > Medieval

Modern German Neoclassical > Modern = Romantic = Baroque = Renaissance = Contemporary = Classical = Medieval

People still do Neoclassical? what?

>plebs underrating the Classical era
Classical > Baroque > Modern > Romantic > Contemporary > Renaissance > Medieval

remember when bogspammer went on an autistic rant?

>Learn to play an instrument

He already said he played "classical guitar at a virtuostic level".

Renaissance > Medieval > Baroque > Romantic > > Classical > Modernist > Contemporary

Fine. I pick Pisendel.

>Renaissance > Baroque
Fine
>Medieval > Baroque
"No"

>posts worse Dettman mix
oh boy i like him a lot but he fucks up everytime he put a surprise techhouse shit

Petzold

Classical > Baroque > Renaissance > Modern > Romantic > Medieval > Contemporary