Local Music in your area

What is the local music scene like in your town/city?

Growing up in Chicago, we had tons of concerts like these (link below). All the local people would show up and have fun. Now we have next to nothing, or it's just a bunch of fucking creep weirdo EDM types.

youtube.com/watch?v=P4MiC67seUY

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=lYkV-GtwgdY
youtube.com/watch?v=u83anUXFjek
youtube.com/watch?v=lXyjjjIHwkU
youtube.com/watch?v=FM6XQ2J3kQ0
youtube.com/watch?v=MazQzh6Y6bA
youtube.com/watch?v=2b4dP_nS-mM
youtube.com/watch?v=A_oaS2JNHvE
youtu.be/t7fZB1xJdDQ
nichardixon.bandcamp.com/track/a-eulogy-for-eugene
youtube.com/watch?v=L1NhQAhVVw4
youtu.be/xfhHKZlaE-U
youtu.be/Y8xU9uUVKFA
kitchenpeople.bandcamp.com
thepissedcolas.bandcamp.com
heltaskeltarecords.bandcamp.com/album/beyond-the-black-stump-lp
miningtax.bandcamp.com
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Town in Sweden called Gävle. Big metal town tons of bands around.

youtube.com/watch?v=lYkV-GtwgdY

Not the best in town but I know one of the guitarist who joined a while back after this video was made.

We have local acts like this in Chicago, and some of them are actually really good. Not many people show up though, and people kinda just look at them like they are sad and pathetic.

That looks fucking awesome btw. Literally dream about playing gigs like these guys do in thier music video.

we used to have a band called toilet fetus in the hampton roads area. they were meh but here's their song assphyxiation
youtube.com/watch?v=u83anUXFjek

It's really sad bro, the magic of rock n roll has died for alot of people :'(

Working hard playing in two newly formed bands myself to try and revive it somehow.

>magic of rock has died for a lot of people

I think that's it. Why is that? It seems like local rock/metal aren't making music that connects to anybody.

Like the link I posted, that band isn't amazing or anything, but people were really excited. You can tell that they felt like they were apart of something really cool. That does not exist anymore.

I had a local band when I was younger in Chicago and we had shows like that. 100+ people would show up and scream our lyrics and stuff. It was really exciting.

If I tried to make a band and do something like that today, people would roll their eyes and laugh.

I'm in Seattle and the music scene is pretty good.

Everyone listens to Grime in my area. No live bands ether.

That's one of the few spots where the music scene is always doing well.

I saw The Fall of Troy there a few years ago, was pretty cool.

Fuck, it's makes me really bummed out. I still have hope though. There are some new bands that still have that spirit in thier concerts. Take death grips for example. Like them or not, thier live shows are bloody warzones y'know.

I live in Mexico. Nothing happens here.

>death grips

Yeah I don't like them but they definitely have that old energy, like people are excited. They have that edgy dangerous vibe that people dig.

They were also innovative. We have barely had any innovation in music in the last few years, or at least not any innovation that actually excited people.

Boston here, everything fucking sucks, there's no night life, every local band that plays basically just invites their circle of friends and they all leave when they're done playing. You would think that the city with the most colleges in it would have some sort of scene, especially since we have Berklee and the New England Conservatory of Music. But no, they're just pretentious fart sniffing cliques that look down upon everything you don't do that they did when they were kids being forced to do music.

Except for Wally's jazz club. That place is the shit.

north Argentina
music scene here is kinda small but unique
some bands mix local folk music with experimental pop sound
id share but it's only spanish and you wont probably get it full
Scaruffi likes our scene tho, but we are far of becoming a meme

Live in Downey, CA. The major music acts in this town are cover bands of old 50's and 60's hits being played by old people. Everything else is really bad metalcore.

Everything around me, like Long Beach or LA, it's just this psychy garage rock stuff that I'm not really into and isn't really all that good to begin with. It seems everyone wants to be the next Strokes, or Growlers or something like that, which sucks since that means I can't find anyone to make music with that have similar tastes as me.

youtube.com/watch?v=lXyjjjIHwkU

Lmao do you live in Kenosha? I know these dudes.

They don't even play anymore do they?

Chicago's still got a good scene.
Just gotta know where to look.

Buenos Aires here, share some music user! Also, what bands did Scaruffi review?

>>Yup. They broke up a couple years ago.

Yeah I you can't tell exactly what it is but it is that dangerous feel almost. I think singers are really important in this matter since they best capture the human emotions in the music. And having a singer going out of his mind with emotional energy gets the people moving.

these are two good bands I like from the semi local tristate area I live in

youtube.com/watch?v=FM6XQ2J3kQ0

youtube.com/watch?v=MazQzh6Y6bA

youtube.com/watch?v=2b4dP_nS-mM

>just gotta know where to look

Exactly. That's what I'm saying. The local music is heavily divided and hidden away to different parts of the internet. Most of it is gay as fuck too. You have:

>tumblr feminists playing female folk
>skinny white balding guys in flannel shirts playing self-hating "indie" rock
>a few gay as fuck beatdown hardcore bands
>some Black Twitter tumblr-ish rappers
>the old classic metal bands that are just pathetic now (Sworn in, barrier, Rooks ect.)

The women who show up to all of these things are Columbia art students with black lipstick and a septum ring, and the guys are nu-males. And they're all retarded faggots who inject far-left politics into every single thing they do/say/think.

Like people are not excited/proud of local music anymore. Shit really fell apart between 2012/2013

Im not into this kinda shit but they have a following here.
youtube.com/watch?v=A_oaS2JNHvE

Yep sounds a litle bit like here.

It's because the bands who are playing don't actually love music, and the people showing up don't actually love listening to music.

youtu.be/t7fZB1xJdDQ

Punk scene in Cincinnati used to be pretty tight.

Amherst MA

>> Despite massive success and full attendance, every open mic night has died off
>> Occasionally local bands play small shows. This would be nice if they had a fucking clue how to market themselves but I guess that's not cool and indie enough
>> Was invited to a concert at a local college party house, upon arrival I realize it's just a "dj" playing his iTunes playlist with a turntable that isn't even plugged in

Catchy/comfy, really bad image though

you know this music video isnt real, right?

Yeah, basically. It's about keeping up appearances. And everyone works early in the morning so they can't be out too late. Even if they were the subway stops running right after midnight.

Where are you talking about?

Chicago.

I mean, there's always been people who are just playing music and attending shows for image or to post about it on social media. No big deal. But the problem is that those are the ONLY people involved in music now.

I know this because none of the bands practice their instruments. They have a bunch of pedals/a vintage-ish guitar/faggy tattoos/undercut and then do a far-left rant in between songs.

They get barely mediocre at their instruments and then stop trying. The rest is just image.

The worst part is that they are not interesting people. They haven't had interesting life experiences, they don't have anything unusual to say, they don't read books (unless it's part of their far-left bullshit), and they don't have any interesting hobbies.

Idk, in my opinion, music (even underground) is in a crisis. The musicians are faggots and the concert-goers are faggots.

It's not that I'm wearing nostalgia glasses and ranting about how "music ain't like it was in the old days!" or some shit. If I ever hear an album that I like, I usually find that it was written before 2011

Usually a band will say "hey we're filming a video for our song, if you know the lyrics, show up and you can be in the video". Then after that they'll play a few songs and leave.

But besides that, most of the local shows I used to go to were just like the video. I even used to play in a band where we had a lot of people showing up who knew our lyrics and were stoked.

Haven't been to any DIY/Collective shows in a while so I don't know who's doing what or what spaces are still up and running. I used to go to quite a few show in the Pilsen/Little Village area back in the day. (Think maybe four years ago or so) Got to be a lot of back stabbing and in fighting in recent years. I don't want to get involved in scene politics or gossip.

Now I just look for any open mikes that will allow punk rock and let me get on stage and play my music audience be damned!

Yeah four years ago the scene was still doing ok but that's definitely when the type of people showing up started turning into retarded drama kings/queens.

what kind of music are you trying to make? i've lived mainly in west la and sfv and i've always managed to find every kind of genre you could think of going on around la.

i do agree with you on that whole garage rock trend though, growlers were almost over so many times (i have friends who knew some of the guys), but business picked up and a bro's gotta eat you know? i'd be lying if I said i wouldn't do the same thing.

Just gotta know where to look is right. Heads up though, it won't be at subterranean.

Chicago has a rich history of awesome industrial and house music, an active hip hop community and a handful of non embarrassing metal bands. The shit posted in this thread makes me glad I graduated high school like 15 years ago because I can't stomach this shit.

I live in Southampton, UK. It's a city so naturally it has quite a range of venues but when I first moved here I thought the music scene was a bit shite. I've since found out I was wrong, there are lots of comfy bars and gig venues hidden around town with some great alternative music. There's one I like in particular where people sit in a comfy as fuck lounge as just jam with strangers on the huge variety of instruments there. There's a good funk/soul bar next door too. A lot of young people like myself going there which is nice to see, but if I hadn't stumbled across it while out on a walk I would have never known it existed.

In terms of what local bands play, unfortunately it tends to be boring run-of-the-mill indie rock bands which dominate the venues. No big artists who have risen up the ranks from the city in a while as far as I know too, the last to have considerable success being Craig David, which is a bit embarrassing.

We do get the mega artists playing in the city centre on their UK tours because it is a major part of the south coast of England, but I rarely go to those types of gigs anyway.

Post more Kim K

long island, ny
> a bunch of 17 year old guys playing metal
> 55 year old men in cover bands

you would think living so close to nyc there would be something decent

Denver here. Most of the scene here is just OK. It's very lively, but it's mostly hipster folk-rock, generic pop rock, or 90's style all rock that would have sounded outdated even in the 90's.

You do get some real good acts come out of it, one punk band I saw a year or two ago called the potato pirates was pretty alright, and of course we get acts like Candy Claws come through every now and then (they're from further north, but it counts fuck you).

What's living in Denver like?

I've been thinking about moving to Colorado Springs to be close to the mountains.

I'm from Southwest MI but I am around the Ann Arbor area.

Right now indie wise/underground several lo-fi artists are making impacts.

Garbage Kids are one of them, they are like some post-ironic shit

Nichard Dixon (Montie's solo act) is the other. Especially in South Bend Indiana people are getting into it.

nichardixon.bandcamp.com/track/a-eulogy-for-eugene

Thats an example I can give.

You're getting a really good Decibel show this year. Hope you like metal.

Extremely expensive, it's quickly becoming the San Francisco of the Rockies.

here's the freshest in local music
youtube.com/watch?v=L1NhQAhVVw4
montreal is doing terrible these days

ay im moving there in may what's it like?

It's nice, but its not cheap. I'm living in an apartment in the suburbs at the moment. Denver is farther from the mountains than the springs, so mountain stuff like hiking, hunting, or skiing is all a day trip. Other than that, the city itself is nice and there's usually stuff to do outside, which is ironic since I spend most of my day inside.

I wish it would rain here more too. If you move here get ready for constant sunshine with not many cloudy days.

Gardenia
New rose a la vinagret
Los Random (this one)
Sumaimana
Nagoba
Hiena Conti

there are plenty more but you wont find info cause white argentina

I've been posting these guys a lot on here but they're one of my favorite locals

youtu.be/xfhHKZlaE-U

I've seen them play a few shows like OP's vid except not fake

Boston has a great scene tho

I want to make post-rock, not so much in the vein of GY!BE, but like if radiohead went post-rock. I chatted with one guy and he seems to be down, but we'll see where it goes.

She has a thicc bum

youtu.be/Y8xU9uUVKFA

more great local stuff

Victoria bc canada
Pretty varied, mostly shit.
Alot of indie, and some decent basement punk shows from time to time. The new generation seems to either be soundcloud rappers (all white teenagers trying to sound like uzi and shit) and "experimental" bands that just make total garbage that "you wouldnt understand"

homeown
>country
>country bar scene
>very underground punk scene

college
>overly hipsterrock/pop
>country
>bar party rap

south texas.
it sucks.

north texas also sucks if that makes you feel any better

Pretty good music scene in Perth, Western Australia, still suffering the fallout of Tame Impala's success but some neat punk and garage bands scattered amongst the Impala clones

kitchenpeople.bandcamp.com
thepissedcolas.bandcamp.com
heltaskeltarecords.bandcamp.com/album/beyond-the-black-stump-lp
miningtax.bandcamp.com

I'm in Perth, Western Australia and if you ignore the wannabe Matt Corby types down in Fremantle there's a pretty good psychedelic rock sorta thing going on (I mean Tame Impala being an example of one that got incredibly huge) and a healthy experimental underground community.

SF/Bay Area

A bit of everything, it's really nice. A little too much trendgaze for my liking and the whole artbro/aggressively bowl cut post punk I could do without.

Haha damn Perthmind

Woah, hi! :')))

let me try that again, hi. that was a crazy coincidence

Austin was amazing last year. I don't have any favorites this year so far but I'm still digging through stuff.

Pollen rx - Sunbelt
released January 27
indie rock, garage

Blushing - Tether
released January 13
dream pop, shoegaze

I'm from Long Beach. I was in a band called 3rd Perspective when I was like 14-15 and it was wannabe chili
-peppers funk-rock.

Then when I was 19-20 I was in a band called Good Times that ended up being more of that growlers sound. It's what the guitar player was into but I just had to leave because the freedom was getting more restraint.

Now im 21 and I'm starting a label with 5 very unique artists, including myself and my most trusted musical colleagues. I have a lot of hope and trust in the talent and ideas that are sprouting. It feels very natural.

I don't know what you play, but if you have music I'd love to hear it

Are you winning yet, Sonny?

>living in chicago
>disrespecting the 30+ year strong house music scene

Don't forget
>when your punk scene is run by the mob

>tfw you live in Western Ma and the music scene is actually pretty good

>that autotuned "miaow" 10 seconds in
>My fucking sides

A few good local acts
Mamalarky
Sure - Man
Curtains
twin palms
camp life

The ATX scene is doing great

Bangladeshi here, rock bands are doing great here few of my favs are:
shironamhin
arbovirus
shunno
artcell

sad that most rap and rnb artist are garbage.

You mean Nervous Curtains from Dallas and Twin Scars?

nothing recorded, but I have about 2 albums worth of material and I'm currently working on the third album. I would play everything myself, but I kinda wrote the parts out of my level of skill. I play the sax and do some vocals (very few vocals are needed for the songs though). I'd love to get in contact with you

lol you posted these bands last time fuck off. every fucking "alt/fuzz/psych/punk" band thinks they're following their own path when its painful how much they rip off impala, the only hip hop act to come out of perth was fucking fueled by kevin parker, perth is a great city if you love dying edm trends and playing guess which sample pack this fesival dj is using.

noob question here:
bought a ticket for a concert, used my application to save the qr code.
but to be sure, I also printed the pdf.
The qr code on the printed paper looks different than the one on my phone.
Is this normal?

The fuck are you talking about Perth has a decent bleep scene too just look at the shit Good Company and Cossi Cossi Records puts out, far from festival edm shite

*Cosi Cosi Records I mean

just straight up vinyl dj's who are elitist about their 90s breakbeats

tbf i havent lived there for 2 years but it cant be that much better.

You forgot Extortion

Orientation?

A bunch of people in their 40s and 50s listening to outdated rock music from the 1980s. Not even the good stuff, just radio songs that they get nostalgia for. The youth listen to a bunch of boring radio rap and pop. Whenever I mention somebody like Kendrick Lamar or Danny Brown, I just get stares and they tell me that Jay Z and Drake are better.

bump

still bumpin

no, its completely different. but i looked after it, they say its possible for the same code to look like multiple ways, depending on masks or whatever... so im probably good.
its for a marilyn manson concert btw (hate me all you want, i just want to experience it)

I don't recall seeing that hobbit in Lord of the Rings. Was that in an other movie?

Anyone /newjersey/ here? Any good scenes in this great state of ours? Specifically north nj/Bergen county area? I ask because I'm completely clueless when it comes to nj culture considering I went to school all my life in NYC.

Porto Alegre (Brazil). In Brazil practically every major city has the same scene, an indie rock one consisting of two types of band: Tame Impala rip offs and early Arctic Monkeys rip offs. There's some other bands doing stuff aside from that and for the poor people in Brazil there's the Brazilian funk (or Funk Carioca, or simply Funk) and the Samba Pop (what we call Pagode) that are strong, there're some listenable (and even great/good) stuff in those genres. There's also the fucking College Sertanejo (kinda similar to the american Bro Country scene), would recommend to kill anyone that try to show you College Sertanejo (unless you ask for it). And finally there are few meme rappers popping up, Criolo being the biggest in the indie crowd and Emicida the biggest in the popular crowd.

>south park amirite XD

>Chicago
Come on people.
Twin Peaks
Archie Powell and the Exports
Melkbelly
Yoko and the Oh Nos
Mucca Pazza
Island of Misfit Toys
Netherfriends
Fox & the Hounds
Meat Wave

I've played with excellent bands from a lot of these "terrible" cities, you guys should probably go outside more or expand your horizons

Indianapolis
>memecore sadboy rappers
>generic pretentious kit-builder harsh noise
>normies have discovered "underground" clubbing
>but bluegrass is self sufficient and doing fine

Nashville here. Music scene here is fuck huge of course. Despite this, there are very few artists here that excite me at all. Lots of emo-revival shit and blues rock.

Right on man, in my short time producing and making music I find its best to be the creator of you're own visions of sound.

Email me @ [email protected]

I'd love to jam and share some music with each other. You mention you like making Radiohead esque stuff so I can already tell I like the emotion you put into you're creations

>Atlanta
>trap 24/7

Chattanooga reporting in.

We literally have nothing. Not even house shows.

Maryland. Pretty good. Doom and hippie funk is big in my area. Also the expected bad indie, metalcore and rap.

Sheffield, UK

Fucking shit, populated by southern wankers who come for our Unis and make the kind of unoriginal music where they blankly state "oh yeah we're an afropop vaporwave indie band" and that sort of shit, I hate it

St. Petersburg, FL
>Some band called Sonic Graffiti, that's actually really good
>old people and wiggers