Christgau's top 40 albums of the '70s

Christgau's top 40 albums of the '70s.

Holy god, how much more plebian can you get?

what are the 16-5 numbers supposed to represent

>There's A Riot Goin' On not top 10
He should kill himself

Pretty great list for the most part. Not sure what you mean

mmmuh New York Dawls

What's wrong with them?

Bonnie Rait isn't that good, he only liked her for waifu reasons.

He did his part in establishing the canon as it is in the present. What else did you expect?

It's not even bad, like at all.

So, just like Sup Forums and Lana del Ray?

Mmmm hmmmm.

>Plastic Ono Band
>good
costanza.jpg

like Sup Forums and grimeth

like Sup Forums and death grips

Christgau likes a lot of female artists strictly for waifu reasons.

>le downvote yoko meme

>No Dark Side of the Moon

>nothing by ELO
Why exist?

I agree with this.

that album is boring

>hating ELP
Pleb.

No Zep 4, no deal. People gotta stop pretending it isn't at least as good as any of that junk. Hell, fucking Presence should have made that list. Captcha was mountains so you know it's true.

IDK about that, but he had a massive waifu crush on Debbie Harry.

>No Wish You Were Here

>Rolling Stones
The Wikipedia and the albums say its THE rolling stones?

I'm more of a metal guy, so I haven't listened to the overwhelming majority of those albums and can't comment.

>No Bee Gees

Mother
Fucking
DROPPED

>wild tchoupitoulas
It still blows my mind that zydeco was super popular at one time.

The Bee Gees needs to be at the top, complete with picture of the trio in matching, polyester sequined red jumpsuits, complete with V-necks to show adequate chest hair. I accept no substitutes.

Like, fuck the Eagles, man.

Master of Reality [Warner Bros., 1971]
As an increasingly regretful spearhead of the great Grand Funk switch, in which critics redefined GFR as a 1971 good old-fashioned rock and roll band even though I've never met a critic (myself included) who actually played the records, I feel entitled to put this in its place. Grand Funk is like an American white blues band of three years ago--dull. Black Sabbath is English--dull and decadent. I don't care how many rebels and incipient groovies are buying. I don't even care if the band members believe in their own Christian/satanist/liberal murk. This is a dim-witted, amoral exploitation. C-

this is a good list though

Hotel California [Asylum, 1976]

Speaking strictly as a non-fan, I grant that this is their most substantial, if not enjoyable LP--they couldn't have written any of the songs on side one without caring deeply about their California subject matter. Problem is the transparent insincerity that mars much of the delivery--Don Henley will probably sound smug croaking out his last words. Also I wonder what Mexican-Americans think of the accents on the title track? B

>No Led Zeppelin IV

>Queen

I knew I wasn't the only one who thought they were fucking shit.

>no floyd whatsoever

Queen II [EMI, 1974]

Wimpoid royaloid android heavoid no void. C

A Night at the Opera [EMI, 1975]

This is near enough to the reported mishmash to make me doubt that it sells for what's good about it. Which is that it doesn't actually botch any of a half-dozen arty-to-heavy "eclectic" modes--even something called "Prophet's Song" sounds okay--and achieves a parodic tone often enough to suggest more than meets the ear. Maybe if they come up with a coherent masterwork I'll figure out what that more is. Maybe if they come up with a coherent masterwork they'll figure out what that more is. B-

The News of the World [EMI, 1977]

In which the group who last winter brought you a $7.95 LP to boycott devotes one side to the wantonness of woman and the other to the doomed-to-life futile rebelliousness of the poor saps (those saps! you saps!) who buy and listen. C-

Jazz [EMI, 1978]

Despite the title, this isn't completely disgusting (Ry Cooder come back, all is forgiven!) and "Bicycle Race" is even kind of cute. Worth 10ccs. Now stick a spoke or a pump in their ass. C+

Return of the Champions [Hollywood, 2005]

Freddie Mercury was a real queen, but Paul Rodgers is a big disgrace. And that's not even getting into the Humble Pie cover, the Free cover, and (let's not kid ourselves here) the HIV song. D-

Yes. His thing is that he likes punk and foesn't like prog and all its pretentions. Not close to my list, but understandable.

>No The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders from Mars

Post your list.

>Freddie Mercury was a real queen, but Paul Rodgers is a big disgrace. And that's not even getting into the Humble Pie cover, the Free cover, and (let's not kid ourselves here) the HIV song. D-

Goddamn, is this ever homophobic. :^)

He was a personal friend of Lennon and Yoko Ono.

"When everyone else were down and out and messed up with drugs, Queen were making music."

-- Ozzy Osbourne

>In which the group who last winter brought you a $7.95 LP to boycott devotes one side to the wantonness of woman and the other to the doomed-to-life futile rebelliousness of the poor saps (those saps! you saps!) who buy and listen

In his Korn reviews (written years later when he was much older and wiser), he admits the futility of teenage rebellion.