Gamergate

>Gamergate
>Pizzagate

Why the fuck is there a "gate" in these phrases? The hell does it even mean?

Also, what in the actual fuck is pizzagate by the way??

get off Sup Forums and go learn some shit you NEET

g o o g l e

also, underage b&

Bait

Wrong website. Google is just onnnnneeeee bookmark over to the left.

There’s nothing wrong with being self-obsessed. Or rather, there is plenty wrong with it, but ours is a culture that thrives on everyone being fascinated by how they are perceived. And most writers are narcissists anyway: they write about themselves, they talk about themselves, they write about how they write about themselves. They talk about themselves as though they were separate from their characters; they want to be known as the creators of those characters; they sue for plagiarism; they promote their own work everywhere they can. A writer writes about how the life of a writer is a constant reinvention of the self, paradoxically always sounding like the same basic narcissist. Writers, once published, Google reviews of their own work, sometimes yearly, sometimes every eight minutes.

This concern with the self has given the world many beautiful books. But it’s 2014, and whole businesses exist for helping you “manage" your online reputation, and image can feel like everything. Aside from the basic self-obsession that makes us write, we feel we must be extremely presentable as we look for readers.
A writer writes about how the life of a writer is a constant reinvention of the self, paradoxically always sounding like the same basic narcissist.

To be fair to all of us, certain “realities” (the internet, the changes in publishing) have forced us into an awkward position. We seek a balance between hysterical individualism ("I WROTE THIS BOOK!!!”) and a feeling of solidarity, even community, among other writers. After all, those other narcissists with pens are often our first readers. And a big-name blurb never hurt, if you can get one. So we must cultivate an audience by projecting an image of who we are without crowding out other people.

In practice, this means we too easily end up loud and aggressive in a community of louder and more aggressive people, in all the coy and subtle ways we’ve discovered don’t feel too degrading. I imagine it’s like being a fishmonger at the local market trying to be less loud than the most obnoxious guy a few stalls away, but still loud enough to be heard over some of the others.

It is, nevertheless, degrading. There is a difference between, on the one hand, the self-regard that goes into writing a book expecting it to be read and, on the other, the obsessive need for control over your book’s success and your own reputation, your Author’s Platform. When you’re seized by the latter kind of self-involvement, you’re likely to start wanting to pander to hypothetical readers because, well, it just felt so damned good the last time you got more than two comments on your blog post. You spend a surprising amount of money on books about marketing books, and get busy becoming a “personality” out there.

Some people do the selling-books-online thing admirably well. I know a few authors who are so good at it that I’d trust them to take over in a hostage negotiation. But emulating them can be disastrous when you don’t get what you’re doing. A few months ago, I got so exhausted by the constant self-promotion of other authors on Facebook and by my own feeling of having cheapened myself to the point of no return on social media that I just deleted my account and went for a hike. Now I use a secret account simply to manage my public Facebook page*, where mainly I post funny pictures that my friend Sam finds on the internet. I haven’t figured out how to be relaxed about any of this. I fear becoming unbearable. (I have a problem.)

Ive actually been curious about that too. Anyone remember DEFLATE GATE about how PEYTON MANNING'S FOOTBALL HAD AIR MISSING?? Or whatever the fuck that stupid shit was on about.

Whats with all the gates?

Erich Fromm wrote about “marketing personalities” as distinct from narcissists and other personality types. (It is, in my opinion, a better term than “narcissist” in this context, but I was afraid I’d lose some readers if I’d started this list with “You have to be a narcissist to write, but a marketing personality type to sell your books.”) For the marketing type of personality, even the “person” they are is a kind of commodity.

Spend a bit of time surrounded by anxious writers (especially online, but also at conventions) and then read the paragraph below (lifted from here), replacing “marketing types” with “writers who spend time too much time online”:

Unproductive marketing types lack direction, as well as the ability to commit themselves to people or projects. But when productive, marketing types are good at facilitating teams and keeping the focus on adding value as defined by customers and colleagues. Like obsessives, marketing personalities are avid consumers of self-help books. […] They lack the daring needed to innovate and are too responsive to current—rather than future—customer demands.

People like Chuck Wendig are around to help incompetent self-marketers like me find our way. They market their own work beautifully, and they give good advice without coming across as smug or deluded. They are, sadly, the exception.

Have you underage cuckolds never heard of watergate?

Google Watergate. Also, are you underage b&?

Has to be trolls

underageb&

fucking American education is shit

Watergate ruined scandal naming forever.

christ. read a book for fucks sake

Got you.
went to wikipedia.
"Pizzagate is a debunked[1] conspiracy theory which emerged during the 2016 United States presidential election cycle, alleging that John Podesta's emails, which were leaked by WikiLeaks, contain coded messages referring to human trafficking, and connecting a number of pizzerias in Washington D.C and members of the Democratic Party to a child-sex ring. The theory has been discredited by a wide array of sources across the political spectrum, described as a "fictitious conspiracy theory" by the District of Columbia Police Department[2][3] and determined to be false by multiple organizations including Snopes.com,[4] The New York Times,[5] and Fox News.[6]"

It's actually a decent question. Watergate has nothing to do with water, it was the name of the hotel. So everyone putting "gate" after a scandal is fucking retarded and lazy.

The natural value of egoism. — Self-interest is worth as much as the person who has it: it can be worth a great deal, and it can be unworthy and contemptible. Every individual may be scrutinized to see whether he represents the ascending or the descending line of life.

Scandalnaminggate?

consider my record corrected

>retarded and lazy

Congratulations, you just described 87% of all news sources and 98% of all the people who read them.

>Snopes.com,[4] The New York Times,[5] and Fox News.[6]"
And these are credible news sources? hahahaha

Snopes is a fine source. If you don't trust it, just go there and see what sources it used.

Snopes has been around researching internet conspiracies for longer than you've been alive faglord, stop believing dumb conspiracies you read on taiwanese netting enthusiast imageboards

Reuters, long regarded as unbiased to a fault, also declared Pizzagate to be horse shit after a short investigation.

>baitgate

the suffix -gate is a reference to the Watergate Hotel scandal and is used to connote a large scale conspiracy to commit something illegal, immoral, or both

congratulations on knowing fuck all about history and proudly displaying that ignorance on the internet

That would be, Washington post again... are we seeing the obvious pattern yet? Or are you a nigger loving faggot too.

Snopesgate

sotp this madnesd

>implying every person in the world has to know every bit of american history

>implying watergate wasn't such a massive change in us politics that non-americans shouldn't know about it
>implying that someone who knows about other american scandals publicized with the -gate suffix shouldn't know about watergate

OP here

For those that answered my question: thanks for not being a edgy fuck wad and honestly didn't expect me to automatically think of the Watergate scandal when I think about "misogyny in video game culture" or stupid fucking emails. Jesus fucking Christ you asshats was that so hard?