Well damn

Well damn...

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=36LTsWALHSM
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

ONCE A MAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAN LIKE THE SEA I RAGED

wtf i like dadrock now

First time I listened to it was on my teacher's house, I was already into dadrock at the time but mostly pink floyd. The guitar solo blew my mind

>my teacher's house
Why were you in your teachers house?

The guitar on The Moonlit Knight is incredible. Hackett doing the "tapping" technique that Eddie Van Halen used to propel VH to superstardom, about 7 years earlier.

She is a friend of my mother, I wish I had a good pedophilia story but I don't.

i was fucking him. and no im not traumatized and dont regret it. i liked it

>"When you're not with me I lose my mind
>Give me a siii-ii-iiign
>Sell-ing Eng-land by the pound"
Seriously?

Steve Hackett is possibly the greatest rock guitarist of all time. He could both bend and manipulate tone better than David Gilmour AND shred harder than EVH, Vai, Malmsteen, Hammer, etc, and he did it all at a time when Pete Townsend and Jimmy Page were the state of guitar talent.

That last guitar solo at the end of The Battle of Epping Forest is fucking phenomenal.

Problem?

Well, I just drove back from York PA to Baltimore after a day at the range, blasting this album the whole way.

I came to Sup Forums to challenge anyone to name a better, more perfect prog album, and what do I see but this thread at the top of the catalogue.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who feels this way.

I might have to give it another listen tonight, I like the second half of the album THAT much.

Sorry, folks, but we all know what the ACTUAL best Genesis (and overall) album is.

I'm OK with this.

But Epping Forest and Cinema Show push Selling over the edge for me.

Do we?

>Epping Forest
debatable
>Cinema Show
DELET

I never said SEBTP was the better album, I wholly agree with you

lamb lies down is their best. got tired of the medieval shit on their earlier stuff.

>He doesn't get the tingles as the pro soloist soars over the mellotron vocals of the back half of Cinema Show

Pleb plz

Here is the true GOAT.

The last minute and a half of The Musical Box basically invented the melodic guitar solo sound that would define Brian May's work with Queen, and so many others.

Wait I misread your post. Thought you were being negative.

>Wandering through the chaos the battle has left,
>We climb up a mountain of human flesh,
>To a plateau of green grass, and green trees full of life.
>A young figure sits still by a pool,
>He's been stamped "Human Bacon" by some butchery tool.
>(He is you)

>He could both bend and manipulate tone better than David Gilmour AND shred harder than EVH, Vai, Malmsteen, Hammer, etc

lol slow the fuck down. I love Hackett's phrasing but he is no shredder and his tone is pretty bad actually. Especially if Gilmour is in the same conversation.

No, Cinema Show was one of those rare prog songs that absolutely delivered on every single bit of promise that the prog genre ever had.

It really feels like the true spiritual successor to pre-prog 60s songs like Suite: Judy Blue Eyes, Deja Vu, Here Comes The Sun, and A Day in The Life.

I think even David Gilmour himself would probably agree that Hackett was technically the better guitarist.

It really depends on the time of day whether I think Steve Howe or Steve Hackett was the best guitarist of the prog era.

As for shredding, he did more or less invent it, especially since Eddie himself remarker that he taught himself how to two finger tap after listening to Hackett's parts.

Hackett mops the floor with howe if you ask me. Howe's best playing wasn't even with Yes

youtube.com/watch?v=36LTsWALHSM

If we're talking about his phrasing as a classically trained musician yes, I agree Hackett has a much better understanding of theory. He's not a "guitar solo" guy though, which is what Gilmour is famous for. Hackett writes great lead parts that serve the composition, but he never goes off on brilliantly emotional linear soloing over a progression like Gilmour does. They're two very different guitar players.

Yeah, he absolutely does once you really think about it. Hackett's average lines sound like Howes career greatest solos. There's really no comparison.

And I fucking love Steve Howe, too. Hackett's just on a completely different level.

His weird counterpoint-y leads are in a class by their own. I can't think of someone with a more distinctive, more immediately recognizable sound.

it sounds super similar to the stuff he did with yes, how is it more technically demanding?

not that I care too much about technique, that is for meal kids to discuss, I've heard lot of technically difficult songs that are shit and a lot of great simple songs, who cares what painting took the most skill to paint, the final result is what matters not who would win, spiderman or superman

It's not the technique, it's the phrasing. I feel that Howes solos in Yes didn't really go anywhere. He was a boss ass rhythm player, but wasn't really good at soloing over odd time signatures (to be fair few people are) Perfect example of that is Starship Trooper (my favorite Yes song) all this fucking build up to a solo, then pretty average blues lines with very few melodies tying them together.

Howe really shined through Close To The Edge, especially his work on And You And I and Siberian, but yeah, he feels like he was heavily underutilized in the rest of their albums.

Excuse me, did I overhear you folks implying that I am not the greatest guitarist in prog history?

Fripp was conceptually the most influential, but I'd bet that even he'd agree that Hackett was both better technically as well as artistically.

Fripp's the Brian Eno of guitarists. He's pretty cool on the basis of what he himself actually recorded, but he's a literal god among men in terms of who he influenced, how he influenced them, and on the basis of the work that he helped others achieve.

these are truly unpopular and controversial opinions