Why do people smoke despite knowing the consequences? It smells foul and destroys your lungs

Why do people smoke despite knowing the consequences? It smells foul and destroys your lungs.

Why the fuck would a sane person begin smoking tobacco? Addicts, explain please.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=VhblZwp9ESU)
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

the feeling you get.

not everyone thinks it smells like shit. also huge stress reliver

Been smoking 12 years, it is a current stress reliever, but it's a shit habit I wish I never started

Not a smoker myself, so I asked smokers the same questions. It relieves stress a little and they also need to hold something in their hand. I smoked joints mixed with tobacco and after a while of doing this at the first smoke the tobacco kicked in and I felt relaxed for for a fraction of a second. Realized I was craving tobacco and stopped smoking completely for a few months. I am okay now.

Not a smoker anymore but I smoked for around 3 years.
My job was stressful as fuck and had way too much responsibility for my age at the time. Started smoking just to leave the building for 5 minutes or so at a time and get my mind off of the work.
I quit smoking around a month after I left that job.

>It smells foul
Only if you're a faggot
>destroys your lungs
How'd you know that?
Have you done some research about it?

Dopamine. Smoking, just like gambling, sex, stealing, working out, and eating sugar releases dopamine in your brain. This is the chemical that evolutionarily told us to continue what we were doing.

Fast food causes cancer and other similar health risks but faggots don't get all emotional about it like smoking.

It tastes and feels good. That's pretty much it. I like smoking so why should i stop? It doesn't affect my job, relationship, my house, or recreational activities so why should i care?

I like the fact it's slowly killing me

It creates a dependence but not in a good way where you feel good, it makes your brain used to a certain amount of chemicals and activity and your brain becomes desperate for it when it lacks it (kind of like xanax except xanax actually makes you feel good)

This

started at 15 because I thought I was cool. Started heavily smoking during my first job due to stress and 7 years later im currently on day 3 of trying to quit eating my second packet of aldi thin mints trying not to head up to servo to grab a deck

started when I was 12 to look cool, 20 years later I just quit.....last week in fact

It helps me not do hard drugs that i want to do. Also serves as a good reward system for completing work. "Do this for an hour and i get a ciggy"

Ultimately, i hate living with my species, so this will speed up the game in a socially acceptable manner.

Damn, good luck user. Keep at it.

Because i thought i was being edgy and cool and turns out im super prone to cigarette addiction. I just couldnt stop once i was hooked.

I also got a dna test done for unrelated reasons and it came up that if i ever start smoking im likely to be a heavy smoker with issues quitting.

Tl;dr i was an immature wanna be cool edge fag with a serious disposition to nicotine addiction now dealing with the consequences if my own stupidity.

Ive been fighting hard this year. Im on quit 3. Quit 1 was 6 months, quit 2 was a month, and im on quit 3 right now. Holding on for dear life. This is it.

It happens when people can't solve their problems and build a need for something that confort them.

>mfw when I don't have to worry about lung cancer, heart attacks or a build up of tar in my lungs in the immediate future
>mfw when I have no face

Why do sane people smoke weed. The smoke is no better the tobacco smoke......

Because I'm addicted, fucking idiot.

live near a city? if you answered yes then your statement could be very wrong

finally learned how to
  ▲
▲ ▲

self pleasure
it's the same with any other drug

i grow my own tobacco plants and pure dried tobacco tastes way different than all the other shit cigarettes have

All right, I get that smell is subjective,
but how can you deny it causes damage to your lungs? Do you believe in a flat earth too?

An economic perspective:
1) Stress relief / habituation - once you've already started, it's something you need.

2) "Time" relief - cigarettes are perfect for short breaks, related to (1).

3) Social benefits - if you go clubbing, partying w/e, going for a private cigarette with a potential mate is the best excuse these is for some time together.

4) Peer pressure and observational learning - you learn from your peers and your parents, and cigarettes may not smell that foul when you're frequently exposed to it already.

5) Consequences are long-term but gratification short-term. If you assume hyperbolic discounting of a person''s utility function, the short-term is always preferred to the long-term even if the latter has catastrophic effects.

You're doing god's work, user.

For those who have quit and started again: why?

Once I quit I found myself repulsed by cigarettes... I can't imagine something making me take the step to pick one up again

Fuck you faggot

I am the Hammer,
I am the edge of His Sword,
I am the tip of His Spear,
I am the mail about His Fist,
I am the flight of His Arrows,

I am the right hand of my Emperor,
I am the instrument of His will,
I am His Sword as He is my Armor,
I am His Wrath and He is my Zeal,
I am the Bane of His Foes and the Woes of the Treacherous,

Let us be His Shield,
Let us speak His Word as He fuels the Fire of Devotion,
Let us fight His Battles, as He fights the Battle at the end of time,
And let us join Him there, for Duty ends not in Death,
In Vengeance be true, In Valor be Strong,

I am the Hammer,
I am the Sword,
I am the Spear,
I am the Shield,
I am the soldier at the End of Time.

I just started becoming a pot head actually and im 29.

Our governments pushing for legal recreational weed and the scientists came back saying the greatest risks are to people under 25 as their brain still develops. After that its pretty mild unless you smoke it, but i eat it.

Seems i picked a decent time to start. Its to date the only thing that makes my brain stop screaming. Doctor thinks i have a less obvious form of OCD.

Helps coming down from meth

Because you're out partying one day and you get drunk.

Nigga if you live in a country with internet, you still have to worry about lung cancer. Shitty food makes you more prone to heart attacks then smoking 2 packs a day.

pleasure

>Doctor thinks i have a less obvious form of OCD.

Kind of curious to know some of your symptoms.

I smoke on and off, usually only when I'm out partying, and in highschool during breaks.
smoking has got me laid big time, lots of girls who smoke are generally cool and way more social and easygoing, in comparison to stuck up girls and shy girls who both think casual fucking is as bad as a cigarette.
besides to light one up together after sex is amazing, and smoking also gives you more conversation tools. (youtube.com/watch?v=VhblZwp9ESU)

*when is was in highschool during breaks

Consider getting into vaping. Just don't be a douche about it. I was a pack a day smoker for ten years and then switched to vaping and haven't had a smoke in 4months. I don't even want to smoke one anymore.

>started smoking at 15
>smoked everyday for 7 years
>now smoke only when drinking
>Never crave cigs unless drinking
>nicotineaddictionisalie.jpg

>>be anti-cig
>>go to college/uni when i turn 18
>>eventually get drunk and try a cig (had smoked weed before but never cigs)
>>drunk cigs turn into sober cigs
>>couple months and i'm a full blown addict
>>get cranky as fuck if i don't smoke for a while
>>one night smoke several cigs back to back
>>wake up feeling like total shit with chest discomfort
>>realize these things are literally killing me
>>quit cold turkey by age 19
>>never buy cigs again
>>VERY occasionally (read: 2-3 times per year maybe) will get blacked out drunk and smoke a cig
>>always feel shitty the next day
>>remember why i don't actually smoke anymore

I feel like the first part of my story is how people get addicted. I'm just lucky that I quit after only a few months of feeling "addicted" but many people don't get to that point until they're so far addicted physically, psychologically, and socially that they have a tremendous time stopping or quitting.

>Why the fuck would a sane person begin smoking tobacco?
Because we were young and stupid.
That's why I'm in the process of quitting.
Been doing the gum for a month and going to switch to the patch for the new year.
Should be nicotine free by Feb.

Chipper smoker here. Been smoking less than 4 cigs a day since I started 2 years ago.

I say less than 4, but it's usually closer to 1 cigarette, and only because I'm living with a friend that smokes. I only smoke in social situations, because I find it "enhances" conversational attitudes. Makes me want to talk about deep stuff. I feel kinda cool, but I don't care much about being cool.

I sometimes go long stretches (1 week or 2) without cigarettes if I feel I'm smoking too much. Usually though I just skip a day. Another reason I smoke is because I'm well edcuated on the risks, and find the risks marginalized when "chipper" smoking.

I will quit before age 30 when I feel my lungs are becoming less durable.

What kind of faggot situations did you get yourself into to where you need to smoke to relieve stress instead of handling it like a rational person?

Shits nice man. I used to be like you at first. Hated it because especially because I grew up around it. But I smoked one when I was drunk and high and it was beautiful. Was smoking for about 2 years and now I'm a faggot and vape.

THIS

>being this idiotic

My sides

When my brain gets on a topic it doesnt let go for hours. I vocalise my thoughts, out loud if im alone, or quietly with my mouth if people are around.

I also have intrusive thoughts of cringey things ive said or done i cant control. When that occurs i have a loud outburst that seems like tourettes.

I thought it was tourettes forever but tourettes is constant and unrelated to thoughts, and my outbursts are transient and related to thinking.

Uncontrolled thoughts are medically referred to as obsession and the vocal part is a compulsion ie something I MUST do to accompany those thoughts or in the case of outbursts, relieve the thoughts.

Hence OCD.

>implying being super healthy is worth anything

I have a full life and its not damaging. Its annoying and a bit embarassing at times. I still have a healthy normal life and relationships even though i can off put people who dont know me.

So i am not receiving treatment and my doctor is more playing with the idea than he is actually pursuing a diagnosis. Its more for self trivia than self help

Some people have destructive personalities. There are all sorts of dangers associated with cigarettes, alcohol, drugs, and even casual sex, but so many people don't care about the known consequences.

They wish to "live in the moment" and then justify their actions by suggesting that they aren't hurting anyone. To be honest, people like this can do whatever they want, but if they whine and cry that they have lung/throat cancer, lose their job, get an STD, or miss out on life events... then I tend not to have any sympathy for them.

They chose to do something where they knew the consequences. If I jump off a building, there will be consequences. If I become paralyzed (instead of die), then why should anyone feel bad for me? Harsh? Absolutely. The truth hurts.

this. Also What's the point of living after 50

You answered your own question idiot. They're addicts. Do you not know what that means?

i wonder the same every day

>THIS

The only people that want you to live along time are people dumb enough to create unrealistic emotional attachments to you (i.e. Oxytocin addiction, or believing you "posses" someone) or your government wanting to keep strong and healthy workers.

There's not a hard purpose to living. It's usually more pain than pleasure. Anyone that really loved you would want you to be able to die at a reasonable time in your life.

just fucking quit then ye scrub

I was 14 and didn't have any weed. My friend had some cigarettes and I was a broke ass fiend so I tried it. Got dizzy giggled and fell off my skateboard. Thought it was cool. Got hooked cause I'm prone to addiction.
I'm 30 now. After battling an alcohol, coke, weed, and meth addiction, I'm 7 months clean and sober, and one month cigarette free. I vape and it works for me, but I know a lot of dumbfucks who vape and smoke cigs.

Good for you Sup Forumsro. Don't fuck up.

I was asking WHY they became addicts you fungi-infected thundercock.

Did I really have to explain this?

This is exactly, exactly what I have. I'm amazed to hear that someone else has been doing this, because I've been having trouble even describing it to my doctors. OCD has come up a few times but more so as an idea rather than a diagnosis.

>So i am not receiving treatment and my doctor is more playing with the idea than he is actually pursuing a diagnosis. Its more for self trivia than self help

Same here, user. Is weed the only thing that has really helped with this?

mere drug addiction. used to smoke 12 years. today cannot bear how that shit smells.

Many people tend to regret smoking once it causes irreversible damage.

Some people even lose their vocal cords due to smoking. If you make it past 50 whilst being a heavy smoker, you're gonna be in for some real torment.

curiosity, stress, not giving a fuck

after that phase addiction kicks in and for a lot of people(myself included) the pros aren't that convincing to put it down.

Cigarettes are a stimulant. It helps me focus when I have to stare at a wall in a dish pit. Also they feel nice when it's 20 F out.

Why do people drink coffee when if smells foul, destroys your teeth and gives you liquid shits?

I'm a coffee person too, but it because it isn't stigmatized it's easy to view it highly

and? We all die as old fucks.

This.

Until you need one and dont have one then it will cause more stress then it ever relieved

basically what these guys said:
Weed is very expensive in my country so everyone smokes it mixed with tobacco. Started smoking weed when I was 16 and I was obviously smoking tobacco too. I didn't start seriously smoking cigs until I was 17; I had a girlfriend who was a heavy smoker.
I have since stopped smoking weed but I still smoke cigarettes because as others have said here it helps to relieve stress.

Weed has been the best quick fix. I take it, its gone.

In public i have to actively search for something new to occupies myself with. Sometimes breathing deep helps, but not always.

In the car if im annoying myself ill out on music and sing along. If i dont sing the thoughts will come back.

Its also better at night which makes me wonder if coffee plays a role.

I smoke very rarely but if I have to be in university 6 hours after it working 6 hours, I smoke a cigarette to stay awake and go into working mode, it helps me to keep pushing. but this i dont do often. Or if I have to drive 4 or 5 hours in the night even if I am not tired, it helps me to focus, maybe im bullshitting myself but it works for me. Its like drinking a coffee.

you fucking morons, the only stress relief is the relief of smoking after you crave it because of your addiction
your total stress is much higher than those who don't smoke

are smoke fags really this stupid

The smoke is actually much better and a couple little puffs will get you high for hours.

You must not have a real job or bills or a wife or a kid or ambitions or anything else you can't get rid of that causes immense stress on a regular basis that you have literally no control over. When you're an adult and you have to buy your first house and your wife doesn't want to move out of the city and you don't want to pay $500,000 for a 1400 Sq ft condo you'll understand why some people smoke occasionally and why your fee fees about the smell couldn't mean less to them.

This. Plenty of studies confirm.

After a cigarette youre as stressed as you would have been as a non smoker but removing the stress of withdrawal makes it seem like its a stress relief.

Its a good way to shorten the wait and enjoy something at the same time.

>It doesn't affect my job
only smokers work at shitty jobs like as a cook
>relationship
quality people would never date a smoker
>my house
you will be in a shock when you have to sell your house to afford the chemo to keep you alive from the cancer raging inside of you in 10-30 years after you start smoking
> recreational activities
do you not do any type of physical activity?

the buzz and something to do and why the fuck would a sane person want to live long?

As gay as vaping is it does help allot

Says the overweight btard huffing his inhaler and while looking for his blood sugar tester because his feet are swollen.

They start smoking when they're too old for weed. So like around 14.

>You must not have a real job or bills
You realize that smoking costs 8500 dollars a year if you smoke a pack a day
are you really this fucking delusional, smoking literally causes you to have less money to pay for bills!

Just because there is some other shit people smoke doesn't justify your shit habit

It's not even worth debating with you fucking smoke fags
you are so cucked by smoking no matter what you will always try and justify it to yourself and others, everyone else sees how sad and delusional you guys are

Sometimes to get rid of the discomfort of not vocalizing or squinting/twitching, it works for me to just start playing a certain tune in my head over and over. Usually it's a christmas jingle or the fugue in g minor.

I guess that's a sort of compulsion in itself, but it's better than anything else when I'm in public.

>Its also better at night which makes me wonder if coffee plays a role.
For me anything anxiety-related seems to correlate with how often this happens. It probably does make sense that coffee could worsen it.

Everyone knows smoking is bad for you, fatty. So are lots of things. Plus cigarettes still beat weed.

Except I have a kid and a house and a wife and a pet and school loans and bills. Sorry you're a cuck with a shitty job and a shitty wife that does nothing but stress your poor little feelings out.

I don't smoke frequently but I like to keep a pack of Lucky Strikes around because on occasion they sound nice. I like the taste and the smell of the smoke, and if I've had a long day, the act of smoking can help reduce stress. Still, I tend to be bad about letting my cigs go stale - takes me more than a month to finish a pack, generally.

>Why do people smoke despite knowing the consequences?

>Why do people eat excess sugar and fat despite knowing the consequences?

>Why do people drive fast despite knowing the consequences?

>Why do people gamble despite knowing the consequences?

>Why do people have unprotected sex despite knowing the consequences?

>Why do people pollute their environment despite knowing the consequences?

>Etcetera, etcetera.

>faggots
>fat
>idiots
>retards
>idiots
>smart

>stress reliever

It's not a stress reliever.

The "stress" you feel before smoking a cigarette is the fact that you're already going through withdrawal. The "relief" you get is from feeding the addiction.

wow what a response. you must be a loved individual.

doesnt subtract the good feeling m8

It will be much harder to sell your house when it reeks of smoke

Sorry user but you tried acting superior like you're the only one with any kind of responsibility because you're an "adult" fix your life and you won't feel like you have to smoke

There are way more things to do that cost less and are more fun than smoking. And if you have a pretty good life, you'd want it to last longer.

Generally, most smokers smoke because their life is shit. Thinking it will relieve their stress but all it is is an expensive habit that makes their life more miserable in the long run.

Because coffee doesn't kill you over time...

I got hooked when i smoked weed, really regret it and i'm going to quit. cigarettes should be banned.

If you havn't had nicotine in the last 3 days you should be good. The cravings will kick in hard again sometime on the 6-7 day mark. Consider it a final hoorah from your brain to get you back on it.

After that the resistance to it gets stronger as your brain is slowly realizing it can live without it.
You will never be totally over it. You will always get flashbacks when you smell it around you or see someone light up, and you will instantly want one. But that intense, painful urge won't be there.

the fact that you cant smoke without involving the ones around you into your toxic habit makes every smoker egoistic to me. I would always prefer a non smoker in my environment.