Why is Sup Forums so against this?

Curiously inquiring and let's keep it classy San Diago

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/_8c0mbVBh_4
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

its shallow, which can be fine, but this is annoyingly shallow.

because fantano said so

because p4k said so

It's a terrible album. There's literally almost nothing good about it

>generic folk rock sounds
>generic edm influenced pop sounds
>multiple instances of his rapping
>dual themes of being "lol just a folksy guy doin his thing definitely not a multimillionaire famous musician lol people shouldnt judge me just for being a non college educated folksy guy" and judging people for not living life the way that he does
>literally nothing new or innovative on the whole album
>subjective, but there are no songs that distinguish themselves as remarkable in any way shape or form, even including their context as generic top 40 pabulum

i love pop music. this album is an affront.

I just don't think it's good. Just another blah album that no one will remember in a few years desu.

xxxtentacion is more musically talented desu kinfolk

I can see why you feel that but should much depth be expected?

Just waiting for the guy that's always like "Dude girls tell me I look like Ed Sheeran I get so much pussy LOL!"
There's always some motherfucker that looks like Ed Sheeran

Granted its not a remarkable album by any means but it'll surely be remembered at least for a few songs

not that user but it's possible to have distinctly made or well-crafted shallow music; the depth is in the execution of the craft and how satisfying it is to listen, rather than in innovation or profundity. This album is not well-composed or well-crafted, really, which makes its shallowness particularly salient

More creative, yes. But definitely not more musically gifted senpai

Granted he did strip it of any cohesion with the whole "divide" concept. But there are songs that are not that bad

I know hardcore fans of his that say it's his worst shut the fuck up. it's bad because it's bad.

So much for staying classy

i'm not saying he was ever good but his albums keep getting worse and worse
his first album plus showed at least some potential
but i can't blame him for taking advantage of being able to write 10 songs that could all be top 40s

>mfw I heard him rapping on a live recording

fandango wasn't off with his review of it though
galway girl was gross
if his name wasn't attached to this album it'd probably be some sort of Target album

Oh fuck off. We literally never talk about it until you idiots make a thread like this. You're basically asking for the pessimists to come and tell you why they don't like Ed Sheeran when they don't even like popular pop music in the first place.

yeah but that seems like kind of a cop-out to me. like he called his album "divide" so he just gets to make a jumbled mess of songs? Like i'd buy it more if he were also saying something with "divide" as a concept, but he's not. It just seems to be an excuse to not make a quality album.

are you kidding he did not cover galway girl what the fuck honestly

Wanker

I agree

yap. the cardinal sin of this album is that its not actually fun to listen to. carly rae jepsen and daft punk lack profundity but are primally satisfying

I've only listened to a few tracks; namely Galway Girl and Nancy Mulligan because I'm from Ireland which gave me at least half a reason to give them a try. The fusion of Irish music with modern pop just does not work whatsoever. I really can't bare it. Trying to be too Irish in terms of its lyrics, instrumentation; it's just trying to pander to Irish people really.

I can see why every girl with a "passion for music" in highschool loves this guy but I can't bare him for more than 10 minutes

I like A-Team. I mean, it's nothing more than a guy backing himself on guitar and singing, but at least the subject matter is more interesting that the stuff he's putting out now.

A-team
UNI
Kiss me
Give me love
This
Small bump
Wake me up
Drunk
Sunburn
Autumn leaves
Lego house
One
I'm a mess
Photograph
Bloodstream
I see fire
Afire love
Homeless
One night

As I said I liked A-Team but I really don't listen to Ed Sheeran at all outside of that.

I was just using your A-team mention to trigger muh list desu

youtu.be/_8c0mbVBh_4

I can't fuck with any artist that channels christian rock aesthetics w/o the jesus.

it's hard to articulate exactly
i guess the best way i could describe it is that the entire thing just seems cynically calculated

You may have won the night sir

thanks
to add, i think part of the reason it comes across so cynically is that the thin veneer of sheeran as "guitar singer songwriter guy" is stretched so unbelievably thin by this point it just seems like a total lie. it's not even the basis of his music, it's just the packaging that goes over a pure mass appeal pop protein bar and there's nothing he won't do if he thinks it can give him a bigger audience

I enjoyed Dive, the guitar solo there was easily the album highlight. The guitar ton was really tasty in a few other spots but as a whole the album is a resounding meh. The singles were garbage

Boring and uninspired
Emphasis on uninspired
Trite and has no feeling

This, holy shit, when I first heard Shape of You on the radio I had no idea it could have been Ed Sheeran. I thought I was being meme'd when I heard it was his song. The sound and lyrics of that tune are just matched up so poorly with Sheeran's image. Not to mention the album art looks like it should be for some shitty euro EDM from the early 2000's.

Fun Fact: Clapton actually played the solo on dive

I thought + was a decent album, but he's been kind of shit ever since then. Lego House is a pretty good song though.