Sunday in English is "Sunday"

Sunday in English is "Sunday"

In Chinese, days of the week for Monday to Satuday are “星期”+number. eg Monday is 星期一 since 一 is 1.

But Sunday in Chinese is 星期日 where 日 literally means sun in Chinese.

This is purely coincidental and has not been derived from European languages.

Does anyone else know of interesting language trivia

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mbabaram_language#Word_for_.22dog.22
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>the flag
>that post

Fucking boat people.

But user I am white

My family came here in 1840's

it is also 礼拜

lots of chingchongs came here in the 1840's too, zhang

With a boat. So I am technically correct.

Here you go, chang

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mbabaram_language#Word_for_.22dog.22

>Mbabaram is famous in linguistic circles for a striking coincidence in its vocabulary. When Dixon finally managed to meet Bennett, he began his study of the language by eliciting a few basic nouns; among the first of these was the word for "dog". Bennett supplied the Mbabaram translation, dog. Dixon suspected that Bennett hadn't understood the question, or that Bennett's knowledge of Mbabaram had been tainted by decades of using English. But it turned out that the Mbabaram word for "dog" really is dog, pronounced almost identically to the English word (compare true cognates such as Yidiny gudaga, Dyirbal guda, Djabugay gurraa and Guugu Yimidhirr gudaa, for example[3]). The similarity is a complete coincidence: there is no discernible relationship between English and Mbabaram.

Do you guys hate boat people?

Yes. The once proud city of Auckland is now just another Melbourne, with the occasional enclaves of Polynesians (who are, ironically, boat people themselves).

"boat people" doesn't mean the same thing as "immigrants"

>2017
>being racist unironically

The idiom 2 birds one stone exist in French, english, Chinese and Japanese.

一石二鳥 (in chink jap)
Faire d'une pierre, deux coups (fr)
Two Birds, One Stone

>grow up in nice suburb
>polynesians move in
>now a shit hole with burgerlies every week
>"huur durr why r u racis user"

Fuck off you liberal cunt.

Got no problems with chinks though, at least they obey the law and get jobs.

>2017
>still believing liberal means left wing

liberals lean left

all leftists are utter scum

一举两得

I'm a liberal and I vote centre-right

In Chinese the word for ear sounds like er and mama is mother. There's a few weird coincidences like this

жeнa (zhena; = wife in russian) is the cognate (same words root) of queen in english

but its cognate in latin means cunt (cunnus as in cunnilingues)

cunt == queen (for autists)

my name is a cognate of rectum ffs

Because only communists vote for labour or greens right now. You're still a leftist faggot, there's just no viable leftists to vote for right now.

Mama is not a coincidence. That's the case in most languages, as "m" is the first sound a baby can make, with very few muscles needed compared to other sounds.

>liking small government and personal freedom makes me a leftist
what did he mean by this?

english - name
japanese - namae

i like this thread

>wanting the erosure of one's culture with mass immigration and sub-human polynesians

Leftist

greens are just commies anyway

I WILL be voting national this year and there is NOTHING you can do to stop me

I really don't care. Labour has no chance anyway.

Hopefully National losing support makes Labour realise they have a chance so they can go center and stop being a bunch of communist faggots.

i thought australia was the shitposting king

>center

barely any Immigrants come by boat, all are legal

>tfw only lurks 4chin to laugh at American's political status, but knows dick about my country's politics

>"I" in Vietnamese is "Tôi"
>"You" in French is "Toi"
>French settled in Vietnam

Confusing!

》》》草泥马

Legendary grass mud horse

Aka fk ur mom

Isn't the concept of the week western thing? Actually we call days of the week 월,화,수,목,금,토 and 월(月) and 일(日) mean the same as monday and sunday.

isn't there a heap of modern loan words from english in most languages? I'm not saying this is a case of it though.

The 5 days of the week in spanish are named after planets (and the moon):
Lunes (Luna/moon) Martes (Marte/Mars) Miercoles (Mercurio/Mercury) Jueves (Jupiter) and Viernes (Venus)

Yup, a common word in the north of Mexico for Car is Carro, which comes of course, form Car.
Another one is Yonke, which is derived from Junkyard, which is what they are.

Christ, Americans really are this stupid.

We also call sunday 'ravivar'.
ravi means sun and var means day.

and the rest of the week is based on planet names unlike rubbish engish week day names.

wow so high and mighty mr loo