The holy trinity of jazz

Discuss
>Inb4 Scaruffi drone

i dont get black saint

I feel like stating there is a "holy trinity of jazz" is kind of dumb. There is a very big array of albums that deserve just as much respect as these 3

this

i can accept this

But the average person on Sup Forums hasn't heard anything other then these so they consider these the pinnacle of the genre.

is my favorite things pleb?

Hello RYM

That isn't Davis' best album but its really captures the sound of what most people think of as jazz, so I could accept that. Bitches Brew and Dark Magus are better, though. Also, John Coltranes Interstellar Space and Stellar Regions are better, but A Love Supreme is still excellent.

Well of course. I'm only counting the three I find most important or musically impressive.

The real holy trinity is

>Louis Armstrong
>Duke Ellington
>Charlie Parker

Jazz isn't solely an albums medium. Stop limiting yourself.

name some better then

enlighten us

And why do you define them as the most important? Don't get me wrong they are all fantastic albums but a lot of albums got equal praise and were equally as influential.

I am finally gonna listen to the Black Saint. Will report back in a bit.

Post those albums then
Or at least some of them

Mine is
>Evan Parker - Topography of the Lungs
>George Lewis - Chicago Slow Dance
>Paul Bley - Improvisie
The single holy trinity
>Fletcher Henderson
>Duke Ellington
>Lionel Hampton

those are pretty much the three most enjoyable by people who don't listen to jazz. I say this as someone who hasn't listened to much outside of those three

Head Hunters

>The Shape of Jazz to Come
>Out to Lunch
>The Jazz Messengers
>Birth of the Cool
>Portraits in Jazz
What said + Django Reinhardt
>Saxophone Colossus
And many more

This is better and more influential then all three of those together.

Couldn't there be a 'holy trinity' for almost every jazz artist?

The first time I heard It i was like "Fuck this, too noisy, its all over the place. Fuck it."

But once I put it on and stopped doing anything else and intently listened to the music, I really enjoyed it,

Still not as good as a love supreme though

This has to be my favorite jazz album of all time, although i'm still relatively new to the genre.

Compared to the "Holy Trinity", It's just as good

>holy trinity of jazz
>picks albums that are as non-jazz as jazz can get
At least you didn't pick Bitches Brew fucking casual

>Evan Parker - Topography of the Lungs
That's a collab album

This is the single most important contribution to the history of music jazz gave to the world and it's barely jazz

That's interesting. How so? What did you read about it. I don't know shit about jazz.

It was the last nail in the coffin of musical conventions. That album pretty much started the quickly spreading fire of free improvisation in all forms of music. Up until then even improvisational music was tied to at least one aspect of musical form, be it tempo, tonality or structure (A-B-A-C etc). Albums like Ascension and groups like AMM took the idea to its logical conclusions, surely, but Free Jazz basically freed (sorry) music from conventions, allowing it to become a pure exploration of timbre and dynamism, that is to say an exploration of sound itself. That album was, to me, a huge "wait, we can do THAT!? We're allowed??" moment for music as a whole.

I might be a bit over my head about this anyway.

No but it was aimed to be a commercially viable album.

When you're listening to Charles Mingus, just remember that he's not like other jazz acts. His music is incredibly artistic, almost to the point where you have to be paying complete attention to them to even remotely understand it. I remember listening to a song on Mingus Ah Um (though I can't remember what it was), where I thought a song was absolute bollocks during the listen. Then, I closed my eyes for a second, and all of a sudden the song had an entirely new meaning. It was insane the way Mingus could just become something so different when you take a look into the music.

Another thing you should note about Mingus is that it's easy to get a headache listening to him. Not because he's a bad player, but because of how many ideas his music is riddled with and how complex they are. Soon enough your head will fill to the brim and the rest will just sound like noise to you. Just turn it off and give it a listen the next day.

If you don't like the music, you'll definitely at least enjoy reading through the lead sheets, and picking apart the song itself and all of the artistic values that go into making it the complexity that it is.

>His music is incredibly artistic, almost to the point where you have to be paying complete attention to them to even remotely understand it.
All composers of academic music are laughing at you right now.

Really, jazz is for people who want complex music but can't handle academia.

I'm guessing Captain Beefheart probably was influenced by him before doing Trout Mask Replica.

Not sure Beefheart had any influence other than his latent schizophrenia

"Trane was the father. Pharoah was the son. I was the holy ghost." - Albert Ayler
There's your answer.
In all seriousness though, both Davis and Coltrane have monumentally better albums than those featured in OP's image. Coltrane's Ascension really creates a feeling of spiritual liberation more akin to the Holy Trinity imagery, and most of Ayler's work goes without saying.

He made good music, but his opinions were clearly shit

I liked blues train more than ALS

He idolized Coltrane, viewed him as almost an alien. Ayler also viewed his style of jazz as a spiritual communication medium. What about his opinions are shit?

You answered your own question

me, too, user

Autist of the day.

>Can't handle academia
Kek

>anyone who can handle more complex music than me is AN AUTISMO XDDD
Nevermind the fact that the more complex aspects of jazz were taken from early 20th century academic music

Beefheart was mainly influenced by old blues legends

Rahsaan Roland Kirk - The Inflated Tear is one of my favorites I never see mention here.

He's a blind guy who played multiple instruments, constantly switching between them live and put an incredible show.

Academic music isn't even a thing, try to realise you're retarded.

It's a better term than the historically inaccurate "classical" music or the vague and meaningless "art" music that people usually prefer.

Omfg, your so autistic dude. Please try to understand the way you think is deeply flawed. No one will have the slightest idea what you're going on about if you use the term "academic music"

>Couldn't there be a 'holy trinity' for almost every jazz artist?

This. It's too difficult coming up with a single album to represent an artist, most of these have so many different styles that appeal to different people you can't just call only one their best.

yeah he was. I remember reading about him attending a show Coleman played and being inspired