Alright mu, what are your thoughts on piracy? Does pirating music negatively affect the music industry...

Alright mu, what are your thoughts on piracy? Does pirating music negatively affect the music industry, or is there some benefit to spreading links in sharethreads and such?

Other urls found in this thread:

informationisbeautiful.net/visualizations/how-much-do-music-artists-earn-online-2015-remix/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

When I'm not broke as shit and have a well paying job I'll buy music. Get off my dick for now breh

I don't believe in intellectual property
If you want to create music and share it with the world you are welcome to, but don't think for a moment that you have created anything "new" and that the world owes you something for that.

If you have a medium to market your music and people pay for it then great

So you feel you're entitled to free music? Why?

free music already exists.. and it is not a matter of entitlement.. I don't feel the world "owes me" music. Music is there and it goes in my ears and I either like it or I don't.

I said I don't believe in Intellectual Property as it pertains to this thread I am specifically referencing music. Nobody is creating new words or tones in music, just simply rearranging them/sampling them etc.

Good and bad both really. I would never have heard of some of my favorite bands without it. YouTube has helped greatly with this but it can still be for more obscure bands to gain exposure and a larger fan base.

At some point though, if you actually like the music, you really should show your support by actually buying the music

Who cares if I don't pay for my music, if I don't some cuck like OP is going to

one of my favorite artists and unironically Sup Forumscore said:
>>"Dub it off ya man don't spend no 10 bucks"
>>"I did it for the advance the backend sucks"

I'd imagine most artists don't want you to do that with their music though.

most artists don't get international acclaim either but my favorite told me to dub it.. so that's what I do. sorry you still got your mixtape nobody wants homie

artists probably don't care, it's the record labels that care

I have no issue pirating music, if I enjoy a release I get that release physically or purchase it digitally. I'd even do so for artists signed to record labels who obviously don't need my money but it's been a long time since that's happened

art should never be paywalled, you should be able to view art first and then decide if you'd like to pay for it, not the other way around.

He's right. The backend is a load of dicks and usually the record label pockets most of the cash.

While indie labels do usually do 50/50 on the sales, they still usually have liberties over their signatories.

informationisbeautiful.net/visualizations/how-much-do-music-artists-earn-online-2015-remix/

i'm against it but i do it anyway, and i hate myself for it. I always make sure i pay for smaller artist's releases whether it be in physical format or download from their Bandcamp.

A follow-up question for you: If an artist is dead, is there any incentive to giving the record company money (i.e. J Dilla, etc.)

no of course not.. that's why I said I don't "believe" in intellectual property (obviously it exists in practice whether I believe it or not).

who owns that property now that an artist is dead? people who simply control the rights but had no help in fostering said property? why does that make sense at all?

Dilla is a perfect example. his music should be released for free otherwise any cent made posthumously should go directly to his family.. but that isn't the case as we all know

Nah.

The artist is dead and usually I don't see as to why I should give it to his/her family.

Perfect example is Micheal Jackson. I don't understand as to why I should give money to Joe Jackson when he had no hand in Micheal's art.

even this is a fair argument. I said to support Dilla's family, if you are going to make money off of a dead man, but again if I am not advocating for any intellectual property rights then his family also has no true entitlement to his works.
This has been happening forever, Mozart's wife sold his work after he died.

>I don't believe in intellectual property
LMAO

You shouldn't laugh at disabled people user

So you don't believe in supporting an artist's family at all? What if you died, would you not want any new revenue that you made to go to your [nonexistent] spouse and/or kids?

whether an artist is dead or not does not change my stance on piracy. if I enjoy a dead artist's work, I will most certainly buy a physical or digital release. if the money goes to the family, then that is a good thing. if it just goes to the label, that's totally fucked up.

but I adamantly believe in listening first and then paying.

i dunno, i'm just broke desu.

nice b8

I pay to see music live.
If I really want a physical item then I buy it.
I don't consistently buy music because (1) I can't afford it, (2) most of what I like isn't available in my country and I definitely can't afford to import it, (3) I have no space for it, (4) I'd rather pay for a live performance than pay so record executives can continue to make a career out of being rich and owning distribution companies.

Piracy is good because it makes things available. It's only bad if you consider revenue the end goal of a creative project or if you support paying people who have nothing to do with the music getting paid better than the people making it.

>artist
Well, if you're talking about 'art' - unrelated to the sale of commodities produced solely for entertainment and targeted at specific demographics under specific, structured genres - you only buy it as a physical item because you want to show it off. I have only ever bought one artwork and I never took it out of packaging I received it in.

The same sort of applies to music. Only buy it physically and only if you either enjoy playing physical media or if you want it as a decorative item/part of a collection that acts as decor.

There's no ultra-true hyper-moral options or whatever. If you want to pay then go ahead, but there's no point unless there's a function that purchasing it affords you.

Just go to live shows, keep up with your local scene and support the bands and engage in conversations. That's the best support you can give. Buy merch if you want, I guess.

wtf are you talking about, he's right no-one should own what is basically just a load of hypothetical waves

I bought most of my record collection back in the 90's and have no intention of buying the same records again in digital format. If I like a band enough, I will buy their merch and attend their concerts to show my support. That's all I feel obligated to do as a fan.

I don't really pirate music anymore thanks to streaming/bandcamp. I only really pirate something if it's not available on the usual services, which at that point is on the artist to make their music easily accessible in this day and age.

yo LIL WAYNE GOT LIKE 5 million whatever and we all know that like musicians never get the profit from theirs albums they gotta tour and stuff so yeah ill pirate
but if its like some bandcamp weirdo im not gonna pirate that like... thats just another person making music

Lil Wayne owns a record label and Drake and Nicki Minaj are signed to it so he makes money from them.

not even b8 in the slightest.. are you user's really so vain to believe that someone can have an idea that nobody has ever once had ever therefore in entitled to some sort of monopoly on said idea?
You do understand that music is a form of art and all art is expression which has been recycled ad-nausea