Advice on turntables for a newcomer?

What sort of setup do you recommend for someone getting buying records? An all in one? Or...?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=uo2Rbt-uf-8
youtube.com/watch?v=HbAJVP89JLg
youtube.com/watch?v=ZeZ9liZO-f8
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

It's required that your turntable has a counterweight.

Your cheapest option is going for a quality vintage table and receiver/speakers. If you are buying new and want a cheap decent setup then I would go AT LP120 with some powered speakers. Don't buy a LP60 they are shit.

>not this
>or this

Most turntables like the Lp60 actually have built in counterweights and anti-skate. They are all based on the same design and probably made in the same factory t b h
If you're on a tight budget then and Lp60, denon 200 or sony ect in the same style would be pretty good. The tracking force is a bit heavy at around 3.5g but nothing noticeable unless you play the same record 1000 times over

You have no idea what you're talking about. You contradict yourself literally twice in this post.

Stop posting.

I've got this turntable right now and it's really good. I don't think there's anything for cheaper that's going to preserve your records (counterweight presence, mainly).

what if I dont have lp120 moneys but I have lp60 and all in ones moneys

I'd get something second hand.

like what specifically? Model I mean

If you don't want to invest into a proper setup then why do you want to even bother starting a record collection? You realize vinyl itself is not cheap right?

Bumping with some gear I found in my parents garage
>Toshiba Stereo Amp SB-M36
>Toshiba Cassete Deck PC-G22
I'm gonna build a system once my taxes come in, and I thought these would save me some dough. Thoughts?
I heard you shouldn't get a two in one. My first turntable was a two in one, and it wasn't all that good for several reasons. Unless you know what your looking at, and doing research I WOULDN'T get second hand.

All in one* my bad

I dont see how not going for something beyond my budget is automatically me not wanitng to invest in a proper setup. And I'm only just now getting into this sort of thing. I dont really wanna drop that much on a turn table alone when I'm a novice. Clean, good, healthy sound quality and durability that wont break the bank is the goal

He didn't. You just don't have good reading comprehension.

LP60 is fucking fine, the only people who will shit talk it are either literally autistic about sound quality or pseuds who think it'll damage your record.

The LP60 doesn't have adjustable tracking but its factory set to around 3 grams. The recommended weight is 2-5 so it won't damage your records. Its literally fine for just starting a collection.

youtube.com/watch?v=uo2Rbt-uf-8

I don't know much about Record players. But this was the last one my Dad bought.

The general consensus with my friends (not hipsters) that just buying older players is better then buying new ones of the same price.

Could anyone else here care to enlighten me on the topic at hand?

LP60 is indeed okay as a beginner table. What fucks up records on all-in-one players like Crosleys is not necessarily the 5-6g tracking weight, but the vibrations that the built in speakers introduce and those shitty ceramic carts that can't track for shit.

However, for the price of an LP60, you can do much better going vintage. The BSRs that have adjustable tracking force and antiskate are particularly underrated. Built like tanks and all metal parts, so they'll essentially last a lifetime. You can get them for 30-70.00. Stay away from BSRs that don't have a half inch cart mount, though.

Ok cool. Any suggestions on entry level receivers to look through?

normally the older players compared to a new model at the same price tend to be better in terms of factory quality. older part replacements and warranty may turn some people off but otherwise its good if you know what youre buying.

As for the turntable in the vid, its pretty good for a cheaper model. I myself just recently bought an akai bt500 which is made by the same people and has treated me well so far.

If i look to pick up an old BSR; what can I expect to change in required parts and set up vs getting something like the LP60?

BSRs typically don't need parts replacement outside of the needle and cartridge. To get a neglected BSR up and running again, all it takes is cleaning up all the old grease from the parts and relubing it.

youtube.com/watch?v=HbAJVP89JLg

They're fun to work on if you're dig fixing shit. If you don't like tinkering, just search on eBay for vintage record player serviced. Should give you a few options.

Project elemental - best budget

Rega planar 1 - mid range

Come on guys that audio technica is ugly as fuck

I have a Stanton ST.150
is that any good for casual listening

Its a good turntable but its a direct drive dj turntable. I wouldnt get it if you dont need those features. Unless you are beat matching theres really no point. Get a belt drive TT where changing from 33 to 45 is not too cumbersome. Like Project Elemental.

Belt drive system • Integrated motor control with DC power supply secures silent running • Central gravity mass point made from artificial stone • Main platter bearing made from stainless steel runs in bronze bushing with Teflon bottom • Low resonance MDF platter with felt mat • 8,6” ultra low mass tonearm with straight arm tube • Pre-adjusted tracking force & antiskating • Gold-plated RCA contacts & cartridge pins • Colour options: red-black, white-black, silver-black

Ops thought u were considering buying it sry. St.150 is on par with techniks sl1200

Why did you respond to my original post asking that? I'm just as clueless as you

You don't need a receiver with it, it has a built in pre-amp. You can go direct to speakers.

>straight tonearm
>no cover
>can't do 78s out of the box

just fucking put some money aside until you're ready. don't skimp on a good table.

kinda meant that for everyone, sorry op

If you are gonna cheap out but you're still serious about it then you'll just end up drumping it for a better turntable later. May as well save up for that right out of the gate.

t. poverty stricken wageslave who shelled out for a LP 120 2 years ago and has since spent about the same amount on like 70 decent records

78s i hope you are joking. Autist detected

>78s

Lp60 fucking sucks!!!

Please for the love of god don't get into vinyl with a budget turntable. Either buy a nice new table OR do what I did and grab a vintage for around the same cost as some garbage entry level setup.

Vinyl is super expensive anyways. You can expect to spend an entire Craigslist table's price on 3 or 4 new records. Poorfags will endlessly tell you that their crosley/lp60/Sony whatever the fuck with no tracking adjustments are perfectly fine. Please! You literally cannot even put a real needle in one of them. They sound like aids on any quality set of monitors and will make your records sound like shit over time.

Budget vinyl is a complete and utter meme, please do not fall for it OP!

I watched this whole video and feel confident with purchasing an lp60

youtube.com/watch?v=ZeZ9liZO-f8