Bojack Horseman

What do you guys think?

I personally think it's god-tier, and surpassed my expectations in every way. It's so much more than another "adult cartoon". What about you guys?

I think you're a twat.

pls no bully

I thought the pilot was a bit on the nose but the show turned out to be phenomenal.
Bojack is a perfect story of being pitiful, sympathetic, ans abhorrent.

i saw season 1 and liked it, but i feel i can only get so much from the whole crushing depression, i'm a shitty person to everyone theme.
is s2 bretty gud?

Yeah, it's a lot more depressing but there's some uplifting stuff at the end

The greatest asset of Bojack Horseman is that it's judged by the same standards as Family Guy.

Never before have I seen such a mediocre show be fellated so much.

What shows are you comparing it to that it is mediocre?

It's a rare kind of show. It's much easier to get praise when you have no competition.

This. It makes a sorta half-assed attempt at trying to mimic the tone of shows like Wilfred or Legit (lightheartedness among crippling depression and spiraling out of control), but it never really gets past the point of him feeling sorry for himself because he's ostracized for shitty actions. The lack of substance involved only makes the cartoon animals part seem like more of a gimmick than it already did before I watched it. This user is 100% right, it only seems like something deep when it's held up against typical adult animated shows. It's extremely shaky when you try to stand it on its own.

Compare the dramatic aspects to live-action.

It's on the same level as "Scrubs" but it's lauded like it's Sopranos. Which is not to knock scrubs, it had some well-done poignant moments, but nobody is hailing it as PHENOMENAL because they introduced mature themes in a comedy sitcom.

Every dramatic moment in BH is drawn out with a longwinded monologue in a overly theatrical style. It's insultingly blunt. Nothing is left for the audience to figure out. Every character spills out exactly what they're thinking.

Its attempts at humor are also often ponderous (think Vince Adultman) or misplaced, stepping on the toes of what would otherwise be compelling emotional moments.

I don't hate the show. I like that it incorporates ambitious elements for a cartoon like a character driven story line, continuity between episodes, 'dark' themes, an overarching plot. However, its execution is lamentably poor and it gets by by setting itself up originally as being something Family-Guy-esque (first 3 episodes deliberately play into that image) so it can subvert the low expectations it set for itself.

I don't agree with that. I think the lack of substance is important, mostly because it drives home how little even the show matters. I think it's a good bit of absurdism.

It fucking sucks

I think you're reading a little too deeply into it to rationalize it being a half-hearted effort.

>but it's lauded like it's Sopranos

I have never seen anyone compare the show to The Sopranos chill man.

> It's insultingly blunt. Nothing is left for the audience to figure out. Every character spills out exactly what they're thinking.

So you didn't watch the show? I can give you the two most obvious examples: Whether or not Bojack is a good person, and whether or not Bojack instigated the encounter with Penny.

It's complete pretentious hipster garbage

It'a basically Evangelion for people who don't want to watch anime. That said, the show is pretty good, the setting is interesting and the subtle animal jokes are top kek. I really like how Bojack just holds on to some random distant memory when everything was better and convinces himself that he was in love with the deer the entire time to make himself feel some emotions.

>lauded like the Sopranos
>compare it to the Sopranos
Those are not the same thing.

And I can just as easily say nobody praises Bojack Horseman for its nihilistic themes, rich cast of characters, etc.

"God-tier" and "Phenomenal" are from this thread alone. If you've ever been in a Bojack thread before you've no doubt seen similar worship thrown at the show.

>Whether or not Bojack is a good person, and whether or not Bojack instigated the encounter with Penny.

I'm talking about Character Motivations. Everyone spells out exactly what they're thinking.

What are you getting at? I'm not the guy you were replying to, I'm just saying those aren't the same thing. He was just talking about the level of hyperbolic praise it gets from its fans, not comparing the themes or supposed prestige the show might hold.

Somehow, out of all the T.V. i've seen, this somehow manages to be the most human, and the most relatable show I've ever seen, which gives it a bit of meta-humor when you remember half the cast is animals

nu male shit

You seriously need to read a book.

Pick up Notes from the Underground by Dostoevsky, its where the Bojack character was ripped from without all the wacky comedic bits and hamfisted social commentary.

It is unadulterated.

How the hell did books play into this?

I said: It's a relatable and human T.V. show, which is ironic because the cast is comprised of cartoon animals?

What're you talking about, man?

I'd say Bojack is "phenomenal" considering we haven't had too many animated shows that tackle the ideas Bojack does. It's most definitely overblown. If anything it shows people wanted this kind of show.

>I'm talking about Character Motivations. Everyone spells out exactly what they're thinking.

That's fair man. I don't mind that sort of thing I guess.

I'm a furfag and I've never seen a more dull cartoon in my life. The artstyle is pretty awful and every character annoyed me to some extent. F is for Family is better.

I'm saying if Bojack has had such a profound effect on you it's probably because you don't have much experience with superior media.

Pretentious and asinine.

It's like mad men for people with adhd

I don't know why people in this day and age don't just watch anime if they want animation that's more than cartoons and sitcoms.

Negative stigma to watching anime (being a weeb).

I really liked the first season, it felt very genuine and heartfelt, but the second season felt like a room full of executives said "Yes, do that again but do it bigger." I don't give up on many shows, but I definitely did here.

I enjoy it a lot.

Lol what the fuck is that nigga

It's already stigmatizing to want serious animation. That's one of the major reasons why watching anime is stigmatizing.

you're on Sup Forums you twat

Am I wrong?

When's the last time you cracked open a book for pleasure?

It's kind of odd but charming in its own way. I will go to for the general consensus and say Episodes 1-5 aren't worth watching. Rest of Season 1 is raw and substantially superior. Season 2 is GOAT. Some of the best moments in cartoons.

I can't wait for Season 3.

I think its a solid show

redpill me on this show Sup Forums

reddit

have yet to watch, dethklok is my current go to at the moment.

this other guy is praising the lack of good writing lmao like a shit show about depression is some some of real representation of depression

but then he tries to fuck the daughter of the deer for no reason after having some actual moral ground what kinda half assed shit is that? with the alc poisoned girl scene stretched out for no real reason at all making no real point, the whole thing feel like they just tried to write a show where everything that couldve been well done was just shit and a waste of watching time

it would be better if it was just a dark comedy and didn't have will arnett speaking quietly about how he is a fuck up every episode

First half of the first season is more of a "have to watch this to get war's going on" than enjoying it.
It gets much better after that.

The animation, direction and character designs are boring. Not enough visual interest.

A chef d'oeuvre.