How to lose respect in a musician

>"guitarists" who use a capo
is there a faster way to lose respect in a musician than seeing a guitarist use a capo?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=n7eFB2b_Tmk
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Your mom has to put a capo on my dick.

>Implying guitarists require respect
Also honestly I never really admire musicians for thier ability to play, it's the composition that matters most. Who cares if they cut corners when performing if it enables them to more accurately reproduce what they intended?
Also this is coming from someone who used to play in a post hardcore/skramz/twinkle band and never used a capo because I didn't own one. But if I did I probably would have.

If you already know how to play why use a capo in the first place? It's like putting on training wheels after you learned to ride a bike.

But OP, capos aren't that bad when you consider the fact that most guitar players can only read tabs

>it's this same fag who doesn't know how to use a capo thread again.

you're so dumb

a capo changes the tone of the key in a way barring the chord won't.

Because it's much easier to play in different tunings than standard using a capo, it's decently difficult to reproduce certain riffs live and sometimes I'd drop a note only because I simply couldn't move my fingers fast enough. But of course I'm not the greatest guitarist but again I always prided myself also on composition and never playing ability. If I owned/ cared about a capo at a time i might've wrote them differently honestly.

>artist has any slightly conservative views

wait what

capos just make it sound different

i think open strings sound nice, and maybe a capo is used to transpose to match the vocalists range, idk

basically i agree with

>giving a flying fuck about a musicians politics

>It's cool to make things unnecessarily difficult for yourself and likely inhibit your live performance
Does that mean that alternate tunings are "training wheels" too? Same concept

I know the capo thing is a meme but there are actually people in /gg/ who feel that way
My question is, how are you supposed to play 4-finger chords or high-neck chords with open strings without a capo?

>artist references their political views at all in their music

Insta-removed

100% not the same concept dumbass

>not liking hardcore punk, neofolk, or nsbm
fagtron

>barring a chord is difficult to do in a live setting

You don't play guitar.

it's a meme you dip

haha whoa guys what if i play a g open chord... but in A flat whoaaaaaaaaaaaa that's like the 3rd fret right

So am I.

If you're playing non-standard chords (many of which use 4 fingers, or need a 4th finger free to play a melody) or playing fast enough, especially while singing, and have to constantly think about moving and transposing, you're going to trip up unless you're very high level
Alternate tunings are just ways to make a certain arrangement more easy to play, prove me wrong. If you were a seven-fingered Vai-level master you could immediately mentally know every note and have no need for easy tunings.

you use alternate tunings to get different sounds you fucking idiot
>all that gibberish about steve vai
it's called traing your ear, the fuck does "easy tunings" even mean

>you use alternate tunings to get different sounds you fucking idiot
literally the same as a capo

in a very restricted box. Which wasn't even your argument to begin with retard

not him but you can't get all the same variations with a capo that you can with alternate tunings

>spergs out over capos
non-musician detected

I guarantee you every professional guitarist in the world owns a capo.

(Not true, by the way)

i just meant that capos are also used to get different sounds (high open chords)

Man this dude fucking sucks. Capos are such a crutch.
youtube.com/watch?v=n7eFB2b_Tmk

They should if they're smart and prepared.

>Band ironically pushes for a Che Guevara style militant Communist uprising but their talking points are so philosophically sound and eloquently presented that people think they're serious and not parodying hyper political acts.

I know its a troll pasta thread but purposely making it hard on yourself is just dumb.

all of you are retarded

>guitars who don't have 6 fingers

Honestly, this is kind of true. Any scenario you would use a capo you would be able to use an inversion to get the EXACT same effect.

The only difference is if you're playing alot of open melodies/hammer on's in the first position and using OP's logic then you'd have to lose respect for musicians who use alternative tunings. There's just certain finger picking songs you cant get away with barring a fret, you would need to use a capo but thats EXTREMELY rare about 98% of the time you can bypass it with fretboard knowledge. So it is true, not having a capo doesn't limit you (98% of the time) , but having a capo will always limit you.

there are some voicings that you can only play with a capo

Boy, these sure are some shitty opinions

whats an example? I can't think of a single one.

let me repeat that

>but having a capo will always limit you.
I suppose that's true if you're simply talking about having less notes. But capos allow guitarists to play chords and runs that use open strings in any key, which is extremely common in fingerstyle guitar, flatpicking and contemporary jazz.

ntpb a good example would be transferring many piano voicings, like Sid Jacobs did with Bill Evans. He transposed Bill's arrangements to a key that worked with non-capoed standard, but to play in the original key, you'd have to use a capo because of the distance between the open strings and the higher fretted notes in the cluster voicings.

>is there a faster way to lose respect in a musician than seeing a guitarist use a capo?
Yes, musicians using single coils
>muh hum

itt: shitty guitarists who use capo's aka "training wheels" or "sound goodizers"...

let me guess, you finger pick and tap higher notes when playing as well don't you?

pick in standard/eflat> playing guitar like a short philipino in jordans

>But capos allow guitarists to play chords and runs that use open strings in any key, which is extremely common in fingerstyle guitar,

That's literally what I said, but to be honest 90% of that is possible by barring, and really not that difficult. As for chords there's always, ALWAYS an inversion thats extremely easy to play, people are just too lazy to learn them.

>their chosen genre is metal

I automatically assume they can't play worth a shit but simple chords.

Your "percentages" are misleading when you consider the styles I'm referring to, especially fingerstyle and bluegrass flatpicking, where using open strings is a huge part of the sound and phrasing. In many cases, playing without a capo and using different forms and voicings is entirely possible but it completely changes the original arrangement into something less fitting for the style. You're just being stubborn if you don't recognize how central this is in bluegrass and fingerstyle genres.

And "inversions" (I'm 90-98% sure you don't literally mean inversion) are not always preferable. If you have any good sense of voice-leading, you'll know that even if a capoless alternate voicing is possible, it's not necessarily preferable.

Alright, I'll bite.

Some pieces are literally not playable in their intended key by a normal human with two arms and ten fingers unless you use either a capo or some pitch shifting gear, because it is physically impossible to, say, do subsequent pull-offs from some of the higher frets on the fretboard to any of the lower frets, bar the open string. Of course any piece could be arranged to avoid using the capo, but in doing so some of the intended sounds, like the aforementioned pull-offs, would be unfortunately lost. Additionally, in a lot of cases, arranging the piece in such a way just to avoid using a capo is considered by many to be elitist and trite, since it usually demands unrealistic amounts of technical skill, and as we all know technical ability is only tangentially related to musical skill.

Furthermore, using a capo is an accessible way to change the key of a song according to preference, while still using all of the original chord voicings, again without the need for in this case an above-average amount of skill. Using a capo in this situation is sometimes frowned upon, but only by frustrated hack guitar players who play in the 10 millionth lo-fi indie band of the month and angrily post on Polynesian pottery propaganda boards because the girl they have a crush on didn't repost their shitty uninspired jam session of last night on Soundcloud.

Good post. Capos can be a crutch but if you (these agressive shit-posters) value technical ability over songwriting, expression, and sound then you're confused about the purpose of music.