Modest Mouse

Is there any hope for them to make an above average record again?

Other urls found in this thread:

oregonlive.com/music/index.ssf/2015/03/modest_mouse_isaac_brock_interview_strangers.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

No it's pretty sad. Lonesome Crowded West is still one of my favorite indie albums of all time. NO chance though, the've been washed for over a decade at this point.

yes if isaac stops making albums for purely commercial reasons
he said they had a lot of leftover songs from StO and i'm curious to hear those considering the best songs recorded for both good news and wwd didn't end up on the albums.

Just curious could I see the source for him saying that? Was it an interview or something

isaac said in a number of interviews around sto that he had basically written enough material for two albums. it shouldn't be hard to find

Ok. I'm just blue balled for the next album, it doesn't seem like they've given any hints when it could be released

Their last album was good man. You're just stuck comparing it to their old stuff eternally. Just take each album on its own, as if it were the debut of a new band.

If he was selling out he wouldn't take 8 years to release a record.

He's not an angsty young man living in the suburbs anymore, why do you expect him to make the same music now?

I still enjoy their music, there was some great songs on StO. I'm just wondering if Isaac will ever start giving enough of a shit again to make something that's on par with M&A or LCW. I don't like how overproduced their stuff sounds now desu.

Probably not. How could he? How many examples are there of masterpieces 20 years apart? Artists just don't have that much juice.

I guess so. It's just disappointing that StO was all he could muster after 8 years. Maybe I'm just impatient.

The way I see it, Mouses output through M&A is already so legendary it doesn't matter if anything else comes out. It's all bonus y'know?

That's a good way to look at it. MM is my favorite band so maybe I just expect too much from them.

Pups to Dust was a great track

"I don't think [2004's] "Good News" was a particularly good record but why shoot the cook? Dude's got bills to pay. It's not like it's a bad record, but I think sonically it could have been better and it could have been a more complex record than it was. But it turns out when I do complex records people don't tend to like 'em until 10 years later and that doesn't do very much to keep the lights turned on in my house, does it? [2000's] 'Moon & Antarctica' is a fabulous record. No one liked it, really, until they had to deal with two other Modest Mouse records that they didn't like as much."
oregonlive.com/music/index.ssf/2015/03/modest_mouse_isaac_brock_interview_strangers.html

Same. Well, not fave, but top3 certainly. I like all the albums people like to shit on, like Good News and We Were Sinking. So they sounds different? If I wanted the sound of the old albums I would put on the old albums. And so what if they sold out? An artistic mind like Isaac Brock doesn't deserve to end up working at a car dealership later in life.

the magic of modest mouse was the trio of judy brock and green. once they started fucking with that it went downhill. now judy is gone for good, and there's 8 fucking band members... it all sounds way too overproduced and showy, they need to cut it down to 3-4 people and start doing hard drugs again.

for the record, this is my favorite band, long drive is my favorite album.

My main problem now is they aren't nearly as creative with their song structure as they used to be. Take a song like Coyotes for example. It's a decent song but it feels like it could've been so much more. They no longer go into extended jam-session-outros like on Other People's Lives, and they no longer unexpectedly change up the structure like on Teeth Like God's Shoeshine or Lives. You've still got the catchy riffs and Isaac's lyrics are as great as they've ever been, but instrumentally they're too safe now for my taste. I don't mind the cleaner production, I just miss when I couldn't predict where the song was gonna go.

No ones first and you're next should have been named an official album, not just an EP. It's perfect. Nothing else is perfect by them. I will name my first born son after him for that.

I think they still write very good songs even though they aren't as complex. Off the top of my head, on the last album, God is an Indian and You're An Asshole has become one of my all time favorite songs. That thing is straight out of the 90s for them. Reminds me of Wild Pack of Family Dogs and Cowboy Dan.

I really liked Good News

>I don't think [2004's] "Good News" was a particularly good record but why shoot the cook? Dude's got bills to pay. It's not like it's a bad record, but I think sonically it could have been better and it could have been a more complex record than it was.
This is dumb, Good News is definitely superior to TM&A
Maybe he just developed shit taste and that's why he can't make music anymore

>Good News is definitely superior to TM&A
Please elaborate further

I know it's kind of a meme, but maybe Trump's presidency will get Issac pissed again. His knack for lyricism might be enough to break the trend of corny anti-Trump tracks. If that fails though and he puts out another hokey, heavy handed, no subtlety joke of a track like most of the other artists then we have verifiable proof that memes break logical discourse and are the ultimate form of psychological warfare.

>being this much of a contrarian

swans

>again
That would imply they've already made an above-average record in the first place.

>Good News is definitely superior to TM&A
there's no way this isn't bait

isaac's life is too good right now for him to make good music desu. he has a huge comfy house in portland, as much money as he needs to spend on new instruments and production equipment, record label management to do, and small tours and festival headlining when he feels like it. in all of his interviews for the last like 8 years he just strikes me as the type of middle aged guy who's calmed way down and even though he still has that same spark that made him cool when he was young, now he sees the old days more in a shrug and laugh sort of way: 'yeah man, i was crazy back then.' he can still write good songs but the real artistry behind it has faded since there's not much more to challenge him. he's always been at his best when his life is shit, whether he's an angsty teen or drug addict or going insane from constant touring. but, you know, good for him that he overcame it and i'm happy for him that he's lived through it and found new interests in middle age. say what you will about Strangers but the production was pretty impressive.

in the end you can't expect somebody who's artistic image is based on youthful angst to produce masterpieces forever. it's good that Strangers was a solid but not incredible album because honestly the alternative is Isaac trying to be "that same old crazy kid" and embarrassing himself horribly. as said, yeah im grateful to them no matter what because of their first 3 albums and to a lesser extent the next 2. if they can keep releasing albums with a couple of solid songs each that might not break new ground, that's pretty much good enough for me considering all that they've meant for me over the years. maybe we'll see a more mellow side of MM like in "pups to dust" but they really shouldn't continue with anything too edgy, especially since judy is gone.

Pretty much nailed it. This is what would've happened to Nirvana if Kurt hadn't an heroed.

Almost definitely but I still wish he had lived long enough to make his folk rock record with Michael Stipe and maybe a solo record