I always see people shitting on VLC. What are some good freeware alternatives then?

I always see people shitting on VLC. What are some good freeware alternatives then?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=L34S4Tt1EuQ
sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/037859559500031X
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X264
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/H.264/MPEG-4_AVC
twitter.com/AnonBabble

How about watching films on an actual TV screen like any sane human being?

Hating on VLC is a meme

its literally the only media player you ever need for movies and series etc

>Small as fuck
>Fast as fuck
>Can use subtitles
>Many controls to synchronize audio/subs etc
>Can play anything

mpc hc

Sarcasm?

>fast as fuck
lol

MPV you dirty pleb

>He doesnt have his PC also connected to a tv

Media Player Classic. VLC is fine though. It was trash once but they fixed it.

it works fine deal with it

the same people who shit on VLC are the people who shit on yifi for it being hurr durrr not autism compatible

>Can play anything
kek

Heres another (you)

>he thinks VLC and yifi audio is fine

Just fuck off mate, youre not wanted around here.

it can though

wow i wanted to try VLC but these arguments have convinced me otherwise! Haha fuck VLC am i right guys? VLC is stupid !!

VLC hate is meme forced by Sup Forumsutists

Fuck off linuxfag

>Just fuck off mate, youre not wanted around here

this

VLC is fine

/thread

lmao make me you butthurt autist

>>Can use subtitles
what modern media player can't?

sorry, i'd rather spend my time watching movies, not fucking with a player until it's able to play video as well as mpc does

mpv

mpc here too, mainly for the customizability, mapping shit to mouse buttons and such. but maybe vlc can do that too?

I have been using GOM Player lately, it has better quality than VLC.

irfanview

anything else is bait

I thought potplayer was superior for a while but after an update it doesn't work so well anymore. It now cuts off videos at the very end, or is this just happening to me?

MPC-HC + MadVR

Windows Media player

>He isn't watching avis on this sick puppy

vlcs playlist functionality is absolutely fucking shithouse

i use zoomplayer + kcp. you need to turn off zoomplayers auto codec shit though and select madvr in renderer.

MPC, and a codec pack if necessary.

/thread

Only autists need anything besides VLC and MPC-HC.

Keep that in mind

>VLC hate is meme forced by Sup Forumsutists
this

whenever some elitist gooch gets particularly butthurt about VLC expect an inevitable smug anime face reaction image if they post long enough

>sanity

Get a load of this normie

Daum Potplayer > Everything else

Vlc started playing mkv files in pixelated stuttery garbage for me, but mpc-hc worked fine with the same file

People who hate VLC are the same sort of people that pay thousands of dollars for audio gear and buy shit like this

RealOne Player

To be fair, there once was a time, I think about 8 or so years ago, where VLC DID have trouble with mkv files, which for a long time was the standard file for animu so it makes sense that it got a bad rep on Sup Forums. That problem has long since been fixed though, so I have no idea why some people still keep going on about this shit.

>8 years

Nigga, please VLC was still causing problems back in 2013

It's just a meme. VLC had some problems in the past but half the people memeing on VLC don't even know why it was hated.

I have yet to encounter a commonly used format that it can't play

What kind of crazy obscure autismo shit are you watching that vlc can't play it

SMPlayer
haven't needed a file type it can't play, fast, doesn't resize the player automatically, can have more than one playing simultaneously and can skip with just the arrow keys(unlike vlc, great for watching stuff one handed)

youtube.com/watch?v=L34S4Tt1EuQ

>obscure filetypes
can't remember the last time i watched anything beyond mkv, mp4 or avi.

Enjoy your artifacts

I've only had this happen on complete shit tier computers

or, you know, update your VLC player because the artifacting problem has been fixed years ago.

never had a problem with this
guess my computer is just better than yours?

>le werks on my machine meme

who made this? thats so great! can I find it on youtube or something?

you fucking retards laugh at this but 1% of the population can hear audio frequencies into the MHz range where noise reduction techniques like this are VITAL. I doubt a single one of you can hear anything past 20khz.

>Chuck McGill reviewing headphones.mp4

>I doubt a single one of you can hear anything past 20khz.
i.e. the upper limit of the human hearing frequency range, beyond which no human being can hear anything.

You're retarded.

>beyond which no human being can hear anything.
is that what your mommy told you to console you about your trash ears? there's a REASON this high end equipment exists, your body just isn't up to the task of using it.

No, that's basic human anatomy

>there's a REASON this high end equipment exists
Of course - it exists to separate fools like you from their money

Nah, it has to do with performance. On my first bottom end laptop shit could become unwatchable, especially if I had other programs running in the background, but as soon as I got a good desktop I never saw artifacts again.

dumb redd͏itor

you mean my body already does the same thing..

>le call someone a redditor because you can't refute them maymay

there is no exact upper limit in theory for all humans, just like with frame rate and vision.

in fact, it has been proven that humans can hear up to 25kHz and even beyond.

dumb redditor seriously argues with a meme

VLC performance is unadulterated garbage. Just because it can handle your 720p movie does not mean it is "fast", it just means you have no standards

VLC literally invented the x264 codec, even if you use something else you're still using it.

nope, physical configuration of the middle ear creates a consistent upper limit
sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/037859559500031X

frequencies up to 50kHz can be heard through bone conduction, which doesn't help you since music is heard through air conduction

Do you seriously believe having a slightly more sensitive hearing (you're probably younger than 20) improves your experience? You just hear a bit more shit nobody cares about. It hardly makes a difference.

I don't even bother plugging in my good headphones for whatever piece of media I want to listen anymore because hearing more shit isn't all that important—audiophilia is a fucking meme.

I use mpc-hc, seems slightly faster than vlc, but i don't know. I just like it better over vlc.

>just because it works does not mean it works
wew lad

x264 is a software library, not a codec. You are thinking of h.264, which VLC had nothing to do with. x264 is used to encode to h.264

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X264
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/H.264/MPEG-4_AVC

mpc hc is the only real choice

I'm saying that it's not impressive for a video player to run your extremely low bitrate video. It's like saying "I have the greatest computer in the world because it can run club penguin perfectly".

I don't understand the ridiculous brand loyalty when the alternatives are free to download

mpc hc is definitely much better but that could just be slightly changed color options in one player

>creates a consistent upper limit
yes. but it's not 20000hz for every single human obviously. i and hundreds of thouands of others can hear at ~22 and there have been records of humans hearing above that, without use of bone conduction.

my point is, humans aren't made in factories with standards set at certain frequencies. there is no exact upper human limit across the board.

i'm only pointing out that 20 is not the limit. that's all.

I don't understand the need to switch when I already have VLC and it does everything I need it to do

No you wrong, h.264 is just the standard. x264 is a software that encodes to it hence a codec, just shut up.

My only issue with VLC is the lack of a preview thumbnail on my webms. I hate having to open them all to find a specific one. Is there any way to fix that?

Congratulations? You're still an idiot if you shell out any money at all for any of the placebo products marketed to audiophiles

i think his point is that you don't use x264 when watching something in vlc, or some other media player. we don't use x264 in vlc, it's used to encode.

> You're still an idiot if you shell out any money at all for any of the placebo products marketed to audiophiles
never said I did, but it's false that 20 is the limit.

Dunno, vlc seems to have slightly better picture quality out of the box but it's heavier on the PC so I have to sometimes use mpc on more demanding rips because I have an ancient laptop

That is the correct definition of a codec.

>you don't use x264 when watching something in vlc, or some other media player

You kinda do when the majority of video files comes from it, given it is the only open source library that encodes to h264 or we would still be stuck with xvids files.

firefox

I hope to god you guys don't use mpc-hc out of the box, it looks like garbage with default filters/codecs. default vlc is actually better.

There is literally nothing wrong with vlc

You are a dipshit who doesn't know what a codec is. Look it up and then come back to this thread.

Do you say that you are using photoshop when you see a picture that was saved with photoshop? Have you ever considered the possibility that you are a moron?

>You kinda do when the majority of video files comes from it
from vlc? no.

Sure

>you kinda do = 100% not doing it
absolute kek

If you wasn't such a moron you could open that wiki page on x264 and see what it is on the description of the article, wait let me help your retarded level IQ a little more, it is there on the right you know what right means don't you?. If you still can't see it come back here I'll take a picture.

>x264 is a free software library developed by VideoLAN for encoding video streams into the H.264/MPEG-4 AVC format.[1] It is released under the terms of the GNU General Public License.[1]

>x264 is a free software library

Are you illiterate?

what does it matter?

you're still watching a pirated .mp4 on pc screen you fucking pleb shits

If it was an exclusive file format you could say so, but it not strictly necessary just a technical thing, you also don't need to name the operating system when you see the picture but are in fact using one.

what makes you think that someone can't use their tv on pc? .

>switch to media player classic
>double forced subtitles
>have to go through 5 menus to do simple things like sync audio, change subtitles, change audio track
>clicking pauses and unpauses

Oh Jesus you're really retarded.

What does it say on the type section of my picture?

If you still can't see it just kill your self.

Btw it's a graphics card driver issue if your vlc has bad colors. If you can't fix that you're an idiot.

both of you are cancer. please kill yourselves asap. thanks! :)