So I'm trying to get into Bjork but this is a lot more inaccessible than I thought it would be...

So I'm trying to get into Bjork but this is a lot more inaccessible than I thought it would be. I was expecting quirky artpop, but this isn't it. The melodies just meander aimlessly and what's up with all the breathless whispering?
Anyway, where should I go next? I want something poppier and more fun, I guess.

Other urls found in this thread:

drownedinsound.com/in_depth/4143741-interview--bjork-talks-piracy-punk-lady-gaga-and-biophilia
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Listen to Debut and Post

Is that the album you started with??
Go chronologically my dude, you'll feel her progression. In the end vespertine and homogenic are probably my favourite

If you want poppy and fun, Post is your best bet

I HAVE A RECURRING DREAM

bjork is basically pop, wtf are you talking about?

Just go to your hidden place.

>The melodies just meander aimlessly
Literally what? They are normal, repetitive pop melodies, except for maybe Frosti, which has a clear "aim".
> poppier and more fun
Debut and Post, as others have said, but Debut seems to be more up your alley. Post loves the vocal games that include "breathless whispering" more than Vespertine.

Yes I started with Vespertine because I'd heard wonderful things about it.
I guess I'll go to Debut next then.

Didn't hear the pop in this album. Perhaps a couple of catchy choruses, but that's it. Very sparse overall.
'It's Not Up to You is quite good though, probably my favorite off the record

yes because top 40 stations are just dying to play bJOKE.

get a grip

I don't know, perhaps it's her delivery that I thought was off-putting
There were a bunch of songs that felt aimless though though, like Undo, An Echo, A Stain, Harm of Will etc.
Not my kind of thing

I'll try Debut

i like you

>The melodies just meander aimlessly

what do you even mean by this?

People here love to classify Bjork as pop for some reason, I think it's a means to try and dumb her down/belittle her.

Quite digging Debut so far

Her melodies don't start meandering aimlessly until after Vespertine actually. For an artist that has produced such beauty, I've been very disappointed in her last few albums.

¿no? If you consider pop an insult, you are too hung up. Her style is clearly pop. She often is clasified as art pop to make clear that she cares about what she's doing, grouping her with the likes of Kate Bush.
Venus as a Boy made me fall in love with bork.

Bjork refers to her own music as pop. Nothing wrong with that. Stop being an elitist
She does push pop music to its limits though, at times even going full-on experimental.

I like Bjork in general but even I find Vespertine to be a hard listen, far too glacial and stagnant in its pacing. Very pretty sounding but it's just one stark, monolithic 4-5 song after another and it all just sort of bleeds together to me. I'd recommend Debut and Post like everyone else if you want something more accessible than that but to go deeper you're gonna have to get used to her peculiar take on vocal harmonies. She doesn't so much as sing with the music as much as overlay the music with a sort of meandering tone. It's just what she does.

I love pop music, but a lot of people use it as an insult.

I remember during Biophillia she mentioned being pop, but in an interview during that time M.I.A and Joanna Newsom were described by the publication as being pop girls too
drownedinsound.com/in_depth/4143741-interview--bjork-talks-piracy-punk-lady-gaga-and-biophilia
There needs to be a middle ground, being a pop star has evolved and none of them are that.

LISTEN

TO

THE

GREATEST

HITS

COMPILATION

is medulla a good place to start because i like its title and album cover

Try Debut. Still my favorite.

No. It isn't. At all.

God no, it's one of her most experimental mainline releases. It's mostly digitized vocal stylings - a capella, beat boxing, chants, even a little Tibetian throat singing, not to mention a good chunk of it is in Icelandic. It's good but it's one of her most inaccessible, and I say that as someone who champions it as her best.

Thanks going to listen to Debut then Medulla it sounds like something I'd like.

OP I recommend you give vespertine a few more listens. It will grow on you. Vespertine is quirky, beautiful artpop of the highest order

Possibly the worst place to start

Apparently anything other than top 40 and grimes is too "challenging" for you

I don't think the music proper on Vespertine is at all challenging, I just find it difficult to endure the sameiness of the album for almost an hour straight. Not enough variation to keep me from falling asleep.

I'm gonna be a bit of a contrarian here and say if you listen to the right songs on Medulla, you can still enjoy yourself.
If you're interested, try this selection:
>Pleasure Is All Mine
>Who Is It
>Oceania
>Mouth's Cradle
>Triumph of a Heart
And if you're feeling a little more daring after that, listen to Where Is the Line

I would add Desired Constellation to this list as well, though it is a bit slower and more abstract