Artist's best album is universally shit upon

>artist's best album is universally shit upon

Wrong pic?

Because that's definitely not their best.

they've never written a song better than Transcending

>finally, someone who agrees with me

One Hot Minute was fucking fantastic, and the singles were all objectively better songs than their equivalents on their other releases.

i wish navarro meshed better in the creative process and hadn't been shitfaced enough to get kicked out

it's probably their most mature and introspective album and for all the "muh california" bitching RHCP get you'd think more people would be drawn to this album

This whole album is calling you a liar.

And so is this.

>highest concentration of california
>peak of corny gimmick lyrics
>28 fucking tracks, most of which repeat the same theme or topic with very few being stand-out / memorable
She's Only 18 is pretty fucking tight though

Storm In A Teacup
Stadium Arcadium
Hump De Bump
Charlie

True none of the tracks are too stand out from the album, because the whole album is on point.

i'll give you charlie because it's catchy as fuck and SIAT because it sounds like some tony hawk shit

stadium arcadium is the worst chili's album

have you heard debut

Never before have his flow, rhyme-scheme, and storytelling been so on point.

But nah it sucks worse than Encore and Recovery cause muh accents

OP is a true Patrician. One Hot Minute is by far RHCPs best album.

you first

Not the best but definitely the most underrated

Frusciante just happens to be the right guy for RHCP, but Navarro did a great job on this record

>shitty blues solos throughout
Nah

this album is actually pretty good

I LIKE PLEASURE SPIKED WITH PAIN

One Hot Minute is alright. But don't trust anyone who says Blood Sugar Sex Magik is their absolute best

Wet Sand is one of their Top 3 best songs they've ever done and side Jupiter is at least an 8/10 but Side Mars is fucking dreadful, excluding Desecration Smile and Death of a Martian

WAIT FUCK

I meant to say

Don't trust anyone who says BSSM ISN'T their absolute best

BSSM a best

I'm actually listening to this album right now.
It's... fine. It's probably in their bottom two or three but I don't think the Peppers have put out a shit album, just some average ones and some really good ones. Aeroplane is heaps of fun, as is Coffee Shop and Pea. Best Peppers album is By the Way

Sam's town was imo the killers' best album but I felt like it wasn't very popular.

It's too late, I read that post first and now I don't trust you

>She's Only 18 is pretty fucking tight though

Would have worked better had it not been sung by a 45 year old man.

Too bad this period was when they stopped being a good live act.

>this isn't like the s/t wtf its shit

The problem with OHM is that it came out when the Chilies had only just recently become a major name rock act. Most fans had only jumped on board with BSSM and they were slightly jarred at the shift to a darker, more grungy sound on this album. It wasn't the good-time fun frat boy music they expected, also the Anthony-Dave kiss in the music video for Warped turned off a lot of homophobic white trash rock fans.

Warped was the first single released from OHM, well over a month before the album came out. It's funny because Pea was obviously a little extra track stuck onto the album in about 5 minutes because Flea was butthurt about the angry reaction over the Warped music video.

Oh, and a lot of fans despised Dave for replacing their pwecious Johnny boy.

>Most fans had only jumped on board with BSSM and they were slightly jarred at the shift to a darker, more grungy sound on this album. It wasn't the good-time fun frat boy music they expected

It is a little darker. Anthony's drug problems and the guys having a little crisis at turning 30 possibly had to do with it. And also maybe trying to adapt to the times since mid-90s rock was dominated by such cheerful bands as Smashing Pumpkins and Korn.

I enjoyed it. Personally, RHCP has been diminishing returns since this one.

I will admit that this has some of great tracks, which of the albums 5 million songs is your favourite?

>good storytelling

The Red Hot Chili Peppers [EMI America, 1984]

As minstrelsy goes, this is as good as it gets (and minstrelsy it had better be). The reason it doesn't quite come off as good-natured can be found in this mysterious observation from spokesperson Flea--"Kurtis Blow and Grandmaster Flash have great raps, but not the great music to go along with them." Coming from a bassist, that's serious delusion. B-

Mother's Milk [EMI, 1989]

Punks who loved Hendrix and P-Funk, they've decided to cash in on their excellent tastes. Problem is, they didn't have the chops to pull it off before, and now that they've pushed the guitar up front, they sound even cruder. But I'm sure they're nice guys and all--even mention "compassion" in the first verse of the first song. C+

Blood Sugar Sex Magik [Warner Bros., 1991]

they've grown up, they've learned to write, they've earned the right to be sex mystiks ("Give It Away", "Breaking the Girl"). *

Californication [Warner Bros., 1999]

new age fuck fiends ("Scar Tissue", "Purple Stain"). *

By The Way [Warner Bros., 2002]

How desperate rock scribes are for remaining bands of any commercial clout that this release was greeted with Hosannas in a slow news month. This piece of let's-slow-things-down-a-little isn't too bad unless you were expecting thee funk, but it's certainly a turn or two slacker than Californication, and when you're an energy band, wisdom doth not an album make. Problem is that it's not enough to simply get all mature, you also need to say a thing or two about maturity. And unless I'm mistaken, Anthony Kiedis has never had one thing to say about anything else. B-

Stadium Arcadium [Warner Bros., 2006]

This familiar tale of a band's validation by Grammy nomination and the old double-album-should-have-been-a-single says a few things about them, above all that they're an '80s band--their spiritual center, such as it is, is rooted in the agony and ecstasy of heroin and cocaine. Once a bassist's band, they're now ruled by the guitarist. At least when the bassist ruled, they livened this overworked dynamic with beats. Now they tax it with tunes, at least when they're on their game, such as in the dead-end relationship song "Desecration Smile" and the marriage proposal "Put A Ring On It". B-

BSSM is one of the best albums of the 90s

Nothing will top that album from them.

I never got why the Chilies disowned this album and Mother's Milk.

They only like albums that produced hit singles and made them tons of money.

Correct

Hallowed Ground is pretty much always recognized as their second best album, plus it has at least a couple songs that are corny as fuck.

This. It's them dropping their schtick and writing about what the band that made Mother's Milk thought about selling their souls to be an international sensation and the toll that it took on them physically and mentally.

And of course it got shit on by fans, critics, the charts, the record execs, etc for not being another BSSM, so they decided to embrace the soullessness and churn out an endless stream of BSSM clones every couple years to keep the cash coming in.

HEY! LEAVE KORN OUT OF THIS, OK?

They don't like OHM because it reminds them of drug addiction and gay sex with Dave Navarro.

So "One Hot Minute" is a reference to how long Anthony could last inside Dave's tight ass?

Basically, the producer pushed a more metallic tone on the guitars for Mother's Milk, and John hated it

I've actually always liked this one the best as well. Good choice OP.

>we will never get another grieving song like Transcending
>instead we get shit like Feasting on the Flowers

>Mule donkey ass you bore the load
>Of all creation's tortured souls
>Choices are, for one and all
>All we are is, leaves that fall
>Like no other, I love you, you're my brother
vs
>Everything they said about everything
>Was a coming undone it's a life supreme
>I do and I don't, well I do and I don't, Oh yeah

>implying it's not By the Way

The song Don't Forget Me was pretty reminiscent of the OHM era

the 'official' reason, i think it was flea who said it, is that they just "don't relate" to that time in their career anymore.

though i'd imagine the legitimate reason is that it pisses frusciante off to the point where kiedis mentioned that he'd refuse to listen to anything off of OHM

I don't understand Frusciante's hate for the album
In an interview he said that he just doesn't connect or relate to any of the songs but I think he's just really pissed that they made another album without him

If you haven't noticed they've started performing songs from OHM since Klinghoffer joined

it comes off as really fucking immature
he dipped because BSSM got popular, did he expect them to just sit on their asses and break the band up while he isolated himself from the rest of society?

True but then again he was the main reason they pulled through after Slovak died and after they almost broke up after Navarro left
He did launch them back into the mainstream with Californiacation so I guess its not too much to ask that they not play songs from a record he doesn't like

That and he pushed them too hard to get a hit single out of the album.

That Warped video was certainly gay af.

>Anthony and Dave making out
>everyone dressed in bondage gear and banana hammocks
>you could tell from the expression on Chad's face that he's thinking "Why am I doing this?"

>bloated collection of filler highlighted by a stolen Tom Petty song

TRUE MEN DON'T

I saw them twice in the last 12 months. First time they were bad but they were great a few nights ago. Really good energy and the band still jams and has fun with it.

Anthony has probably fallen off very hard.

>Ywn be a gorgeous rockstar at a time when being one meant that you were drowning in an endless sea of 10/10 pussy, and get so bored of sex with women and the fact that you can look at a Vanity Fair photo spread of A-list starlets and literally rattle off which ones are screamers, which ones are biters, who's a limp fish, who can can get their legs behind their head, who does that amazing thing with her tongue, etc that you decide to have a fling with another equally gorgeous male rockstar, because getting your cock sucked by another dude is the only way you can manage to make sex feel fun, exciting, and 'new' again.

I want to kill myself, desu senpai