Is Sup Forums a good place to talk about DAW and related shit?

Is Sup Forums a good place to talk about DAW and related shit?

Post some good tutos or anythign related so we can all learn something from you :^)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=5PEFNxgloKs
youtube.com/watch?v=RTiyGxzYwpA
clyp.it/n1mxlgdr
clyp.it/v1raelkw
clyp.it/ke53r0ah
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

What genre of music are you trying to make?

Yes, the /prod/ threads. There's no active thread right now tho

Dont know..

stuff like this

youtube.com/watch?v=5PEFNxgloKs

youtube.com/watch?v=RTiyGxzYwpA

Nice, thanks

Search "mega tutorials" make sure you have plenty of disc space.

So, since there's no prod thread active, I have a question for y'all interested in daws and production in general. What OS would you choose and why?

Im thinking of installing a linux distro and try to work from there, but Im not sure itll be better/worth it. What do you say?

FL Studio is objectively the worst DAW.

Shit for mixing/mastering. Not compatible with every VST that is compatible with your OS, which is strange. Ugly and dysfunctional design-wise.

3/10

Hasn't that changed in the past couple of years?
I've heard it used to be shit, but that it has changed a lot lately.

t. shit producer

I agree, although it may have been a while since you've last used it because they seem to have fixed the VST compatibility problem, mostly. You still come across some incompatible VSTs every now and then but it's fine.

I agree that FL Studio is shit in terms of design. The 'multi-mini-window' format works well for Photoshop, but not for music.

Not a whole lot. The UI got better for basic composition, but if you really want to mix a song you're better off bouncing all the tracks seperatly and then importing them into pro tools/logic/dp etc.

Even for songwriting, reason and logic have a big advantage in terms of built in instruments, the only reason I could forsee anyone using FL is if they want to make cheap music for no money, since FL is free.

t. child who wants to make boring music who can't convince mom to give him money for reason

post your music now

>Not compatible with every VST that is compatible with your OS
Huh? do you have Linux?
it's your OS' problem, not FL's
>Ugly and dysfunctional design-wise.
Watch out, we have a designer here. It's not for everyone indeed. The thing about FL is it's not for snobbish autists, it's for people who don't want to spend years working on their tracks and figuring out the awkward labyrinthine anatomy of "daws for serious producers", and any fl person can tell you how horribly inhuman most other daw interfaces are, it's like they have no respect for their users whatsoever, or their target market are differently abled special people. Oh wait, I'm a 'normie' so don't listen to me.

Name one (1) good artist who uses FL Studio.

I'll sit here and wait for a legitimate answer.

lex luger

me

sounds like someone's bad

xanopticon

Metro boomin

not a legitimate answer

what makes that not a legitimate answer

trap producers are the stereotypical fl studio pirates

Mac is the industry standard for audio software.
Granted, that statement isn't as solidly truthful as it was a decade ago.
Macs seem to be rock solid when it comes to working on DAWs; Editing and mixing, especially.
I've been in several big studios, worked on massive consoles, recorded a ton of instruments, and my home rig is Mac based. They just never hiccup. I've only walked into one studio that was PC based and it was in the middle of being sold off.

Honestly, just download Ableton Live 9.

Avicii
Afrojack

And what if mac is not an option, for budgeting matters (ie Im a beginner and I have a PC already, not gonna spend money)?

I know its stupid to dichotomize like this but would you pick windows based or linux based system? Supposing theres a difference

>Shit for mixing/mastering.
Do elaborate?

I'd pick Windows, I guess.
I don't know anything about producing and working on audio in general on PCs but I'm assuming it's easier than Linux in terms of compatibility with software.

Logic>every other DAW

>Avicii
>good

that's a funny way to spell Reaper

Could have inb4'd it, knowing a transparent fagmobile like you would pop up sooner or later with his little meme arrows. Faggot.

are you also gay?
do you hate cables?

Eat it and weep bitch. Now come at me with your FL kiddy garbage.

clyp.it/n1mxlgdr

>Mac is the industry standard for audio software.
Why? Are there more VST plug-ins for Mac that Windows? Isn't it more of the opposite? FL Studio, Reason, Ableton, all that is on Windows, so unless you want to use Garageband (why?), you're all set on Windows.

Not music-related, but I also despise MacOS. Sure, it looks nice, but come on, window snapping and other features like that were in Windows 7 from 2009. And it's not really that smooth and fast as I thought it would be, either. Photoshop CC can get laggy even at basic operations. Fresh install, used only for work.

FL Studio, Reason, and Ableton aren't considered studio standard.

Pro Tools is the standard. Some studios may also have Logic Pro and, rarely, Ableton.

If you're at home, use whatever you're comfortable with. I was just giving him perspective.

Reddit desu. Find the sub for the daw you want.

Ableton Live is REALLY good.
I'd suggest though that you try at least two DAWs, each for a month or around there, so you can see which fits best in what you want to do.
Most popular DAWs are really good, but they vary quite a lot in functionality and UX so try out a few and see which matches your style of working.
Also, don't close yourself on other DAWs once you think you've found the one. I started with FL and after some years switched to Ableton Live and it blew my mind completely, it made my life easier basically.

Additionally, most studios don't use VSTs.

Depending on what version of Pro Tools they have and what interface, they use AAX, RTAS, and TDM/DSP if they have any plugins at all.

>Worst
Lol have you ever used Logic?

What makes AL so good in your opinion compared to, say, FL? What is it better at? I've used FL for quite a while too and I'm comfortable with it but I'm thinking of trying something else. And on the topic, would you say there's anything FL does better than AL?

clyp.it/v1raelkw
get @ me

>rarely, Ableton
now that's ableism

>but I'm thinking of trying something else
what are you, a nerd

I am gay
And hate the messy cable shit in Reason

come at me and we'll see fag

How can I get FL studio for free these torrents are fuckin complicated

better get Reaper + a proper synth like sylenth1

AL is (i'm tempted so say objectively) more robust than FL, on a lot of levels. For example, say your PC explodes and you were working on AL. If you can turn on that PC again, AL will recover what you were working on based on Undo history. On FL you would lose your work, and on top of that the .flp may be now corrupted, which is lovely of course. Obviously, you can counter this by autosaving and creating backup copies. Still, it's wonderful to recover your work like that.

Doing backup on FL has been an absolute nightmare. FL kinda obfuscates managing the files your project is using. The only thing it can do is to gather all the files it finds and copy them on your .flp folder and that's it. If there are two sounds with the same filename but different paths, FL only grabs one. So, say you have ../sounds/snare1.wav and ../drums/snare1.wav in your project, well if you wanna collect all and save, one of them doesn't make it. It's unbelievable but test it out.
Also, when you use collect all and save (I think that's what is called, but you know which), the project still references the old filepaths. Problem with this is that FL discards info when you load a different sample for an Audio clip. So if you then open the flp on a different machine, FL has to reload the samples because they were referencing to filepaths that now it can't find, and sometimes you can lose pitch and time settings for some of the clips when it does this shit. I think FL 12 fixed this though.
AL just makes much more sense for managing the files your project's using. It's got more dedicated functionalities for that.

I found AL a lot more practical for recording than FL too. Actually FL made me throw up a bit when i wanted to record for the first time.

Automating things is more straightforward. On FL i usually ended up with tons of automation clips and it got messy really fast. On AL is different (look it up on youtube).

I could keep going but cba
Try it out

Okay, thanks. Yeah, FL can be a bit clunky for automation I guess. And recording, yeah, I've had some issues there too. So might give AL a try sometime.

I suggest you do if you got the chance.
It should be horrendous at first, cause you're gonna be way too used to your previous DAW. But ignore that and keep going and see what happens.

lol spot on, you're spot on about the horrendous bit. You get comfy in a workflow - and you know the rest. You have to way up the benefits of the new DAW versus learning its workflow and whatnot. Which is why I asked for that comparison. At the moment it's probably only AL I'd consider leaving my comfort zone for. So thanks.

Try out several different DAWs.

Torrent this, crack that. If you find something you like enough, go ahead and actually buy it.

We live in a great time for music technology. It hasn't really ever been as democratized as it is now.

fucking lol

I got both ableton and fl studio.

im thinking of using fl studio because something i dont like from ableton is that when you click to create notes on the piano roll you cant hear the sound of that note, you cn just hear it when you click the key on the piano roll, or is there way to make it like on fl studio?

clyp.it/ke53r0ah

no samples, just a bunch of generative vsts

can't tell if this is satire

>i dont like from ableton is that when you click to create notes on the piano roll you cant hear the sound of that note

there's a small headphone icon just above the piano roll, click on it and you'll be able to hear it

Thanks mate