>Give and receive feedback/discuss production topics

>Production Resources:
>Pastebin - Links, books, videos, articles, tutorials and stuff
pastebin.com/pYGCLu6q (embed)

>/prod/ wiki - still looking for contributors
mu-sic-production.wikia.com

/prod/ IRC is up!
To join, you can go to rizon.net/chat
Choose a nick, put #/prod/ as channel. Enter!
Or you can get a lightweight desktop client here hexchat.github.io/downloads.html

Remember to use clyp.it to post your tracks/WIP: posting a clyp.it is just providing sound for a question, posting a Soundcloud link is making self-advertisement and the thread doesn't need that.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=2EvQLMaeoOA
clyp.it/r3ssknir
clyp.it/41ndeagv
clyp.it/wrz00hzs
clyp.it/efjkzn0t?token=745425e05740563c7e246f42ef2b5cef
i.4cdn.org/gif/1489505982610.webm
clyp.it/3chuhxzh
clyp.it/ktw4mkb1
clyp.it/truiqrdc
clyp.it/pvz0zaao
clyp.it/0hxtcege
youtu.be/vj5i8s6icsQ?t=1m24s
youtu.be/5onaWSflUQ0?t=2m51s
clyp.it/lo2zb2gz
clyp.it/dx5nt5hq
clyp.it/kqfckkvt
clyp.it/qfwjeypt
clyp.it/i1pjrtgn
clyp.it/g00kyg0q
freevocals.com/acapella-category/free-downloads/
rutracker.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4680823
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

youtube.com/watch?v=2EvQLMaeoOA

my newest track

Jorman God - Akiller
hip hop instrumental

hope you like it

>always wanted to do sicc synth music
>never got to learn how to play any key instruments
>plug gt100 into computer via usb
>enable guitar to midi
>open ableton
>spend hours looking through all the midi instruments

why did i never have this idea before?

clyp.it/r3ssknir

Not sure what the opinions here are about trap but yeah give me some opinions.

clyp.it/41ndeagv

advices for better transitions?
Also any kind of feedback appreciated, thx

just ordered a microbrute as my first synth. pretty excited lads.

clyp.it/wrz00hzs
I just started making music, any critiques welcome.

please clyp user. I listened, but will post feedback once you clyp.

low end is mixed nicely, 808's and bass have that nice glide between notes. How'd you do that?
I would add something else later on or change that looped melody you have because it gets a little boring after a bit. You for sure what know you're doing, I think you just need to keep making stuff, it'll only get better. Good work!

Not 100% sure I know what you're going for, the trap hats almost dont fit in with the lead melody synth. I would try and get more of a stereo vibe to add to the spacey, ambience of it all.

I'm like the cars driving by in the intro, that was neat. Those vocals are so awesome!! the build was really nice but i think it would benefit your drop more with a smoother transition rather than the few pauses before going in. I really dig this though, user!

Here is mine, it's just a snippet from a song ive been working on. Wondering what you guys think of this break down.

clyp.it/efjkzn0t?token=745425e05740563c7e246f42ef2b5cef

I know we only judge clyps but i have been practicing making visuals and have made a webm of a chopped up kpop video to go along with this, can you please tell me if it's fitting or not?

i.4cdn.org/gif/1489505982610.webm

link to a prev. thread?

I really really like how you used your sample. It chopped up very nicely.
I don't really know what to call them but the rising clicks in between vocals are also really satisfying.
As for the visual I think it fits very well
Overall great job, user!

user who posted Twinkle, thanks a bunch! I'm writing it as an instrumental to (hopefully) collab with a friend at the moment so I wanted to avoid too much going on melody-wise.

As for the glide, its just pitch bend on the 808. The kick is also tuned to the same notes. The pitch bend has to be super aggressive to be noticeable on that sort of 808; pretty sure I'm generally starting about 12 semitones from the note and returning to it/pulling away from it.

Also, [spoiler]I'd bang that fox[/spoiler]

>mfw I finally get some nice feedback on a mix and then fuck up a spoiler

nice user

make sure you remember to hit record even when you are messing around

As an aside to any new anons here, remember to dither to 16 bit when you upload to clyp. You can have a tiny bit of unpleasantness introduced into your mixes since clyp downmixes to mp3 (if you didn't already bounce like that like me).

I need your honest opinions, or else I'll kill you.
Is 60+ kHz recording a meme of producers? Why do many prominent engineers repudiate it completely? At what kHz do you produce/record and why should it exceed 44.1?

48 for me. Music doesn't generally ever hit a medium above that in terms of consumers, there's no reason to use up all that extra disk space when maybe 0.1% of your audience will be able to access the extra data. Besides which, most people who don't have a trained ear aren't going to notice anyway. I've listened to one of my mixes on a 192kHz setup before and there was literally zero difference.

>clyp.it/wrz00hzs
Yea I've been tweaking the transition trying to make it better. Do you have any suggestions on what I could do maybe?
Also thanks for the compliments!

RIP

It makes life easier for people involved in the mastering process, that's it.

Anyone saying that it has any impact on sound quality is either a retard or trying to sell something.

Thank you very much, i feel the same way whenever i hear that part i get goosebumps haha.

fair enough, then i think you're for sure on the right track! thank you for the info i will go and try that - i can make really good synths and melodies but making good bass is my weak point.

she's a hot fox for sure haha.

No problem, I really like it! Off the top of my head nothing at the moment, but just keep experimenting with different transitions, try some sweeps,maybe a large kick and automate a filter on the vocals with a high cut down to 1k and make it sweep back up to it's full range, along with some volume automation as well. might seem like it's way distant and flying forward at your face/ears. (if that makes sense)... Just listen to lots of music and pay attention to their transitions and builds and something will come!

I could honestly say that shaping bass is probably the area I'm most confident in. Don't go full retard with your subs, try and focus on 80-200Hz for EQ. Saturation and compression is also your friend, just be careful with how wet stuff is.

Also something I just figured out now, but denoising the mid/high-range on 808s can work wonders. A bit of distortion is nice, but often 808 samples will have a touch of muddiness lurking when you get them loud enough. ERA-N is a fantastic denoiser and is super cheap at the moment, can highly recommend (especially if you actually record anything rather than electronically creating everything).

Also, check out the Softube Saturation Knob plugin. Its free and stupidly useful on basically every mix. I shill it every /prod/ I'm in for a reason.

clyp.it/3chuhxzh
i'd appreciate tips on how to make my 808s sound better here.

how about Pono players?

Believe me, when you record a full orchestra in a beautiful church with a stereo pair of expensive German mics into a clean preamp outputting a purely digital signal into an expensive interface, 192 KHZ really makes a world of difference when it comes to detail.

When you're recording a grimey drum kit in a shit room, 44.1 is all you need. It's all about how much you value the sound quality.

However, ALWAYS record in 24 Bit.

clyp.it/ktw4mkb1

I made this yesterday, pretty psyched about it so far.

>192 KHZ really makes a world of difference when it comes to detail
Can you hear nuances at 96 kHz frequency? Not really since you can't hear it at all.

It's not about being able to hear it.

When it comes to classical music, it's all about sound quality and capturing the space in which it's being performed.

Like I said, it's all about perspective and what you're trying to accomplish.

Get them in tune for one thing. Notes sound way off. Focus more on your 120Hz, take some of the distortion out.

And if you have the means to capture such a beautiful audio source, why not use the highest sampling rate possible?

>it's all about sound quality and capturing the space in which it's being performed.
What do ultra high frequencies which you can't hear have to do with sound quality? In 192 khz recordings there's as much data per second as in 44.1 ones PLUS a whole bunch of additional ultra-high frequencies which can't be heard by human ears whatsoever and can't be played by most systems, in what way do they increase the 'qualuty' of a record?

Track flows decently well, synth needs a lot more movement and track would be really great. Probably also add a little panning as well to some of your percussion.
Needs more variation, kick is way too wide. Sample is really badly warped, if you're using Abelton, don't warp samples like that with beats. They stutter really hard and mess up the flow of the track.
808 way too loud, you're probably going through the same problem most people have. You've listened to the track so much that the bass is muted for you basically. You can make your 808 sound better by for one turning it down, balancing the rest of your mix, and also having parts in the track where the bass isn't being played. Believe me, you don't need to do anything crazy with your 808, it'll be more clear once you rest your ears and you clean it up a bit.
Kick pattern is a little confusing at moments. You want to have other elements to establish rhythm like some hi hats or other various percussion. Good use of sampling, might wanna add some filtering throughout the track to vary it somewhat if you plan on making it longer.

Good basics for a really good instrumental, but for me the lo-fi effects just sound to forced. Try to mellow it out and see if you like it better that way.

This has some potential, but unfortunately, it gets boring very fast. It also sound like something I've heard before a zillion times. Try to spice it up with some diffrent sounds than the basic 808-style sounds. Otherwise, pretty good mix!

Really nice atmosphere in this one! Try to swap out some of the drum samples. This, also, sounds like something done before. Really nice mix!!

The vocals fit in really good and creates a sweet summerish atmosphere! Try to spice up the beat patterns a bit as it sounds off in a forced kind of way.

Sounds really cool. You chosed some really good sounds and placed them in a interesting way. Try running the track through a hardware compressor and a hardware EQ (If hardware is aviable for you) as the timbre of the track sounds a bitt messy and could need something to bring it together. Also, if you have a mic, try reamping the whole mix and blend it in with the current mix!

I think I get the idea you're aiming at. The composition and arrangement is really good! But you really have to work on the levels and paning as it sounds very messy in the dynamics. Try to raise the 808 almost an octave up, it sounds like you went for a really low 808 and just cranked the volume up. Higher 808s can do alot, and doesn't always mean the mix will lose some pressure and weight in the bass regions.

Cool idea, but the mix sounds a bit messy and some of the synths sound out of place. Try fiddling around with some FM synths and try to reamp the synths if you have a mic, it really does alot. Otherwise good!!!
Good job anons!

COMPRESS THE SHITTTTTTTTTT OUT OF STUFF

THE FUCKING SHIT

like experiment compressing things ten times more than you think is healthy

thats the best way to grow honestly

start by SEVERELY overcompressing and then work back from there, not the other way around. thats the best way to come to understand how it works for real, i think

Don't do this, you're just destroying your sample.

Maybe not 192khz. But at least with 96khz, there's a noticeable clarity.

And it's not so much about capturing ultrasonic frequencies. There sometimes exist some harmonic content in those upper ranges.

192 khz is overkill for most things, yes.
But saying that recording above 44.1 khz sampling rate is useless, I can't agree with.

Have you listened to SACDs through a good DAC? The detail and depth is insane.

claiming that people can hear anything above 30 kHz is total quackery. Again, what's the point of having high harmonics you don't hear?

He's talking about the sample rate.

Not the played nor percieved frequenzy.

clyp.it/truiqrdc

Finally my first completed song.
I'm still not too satisfied with the middle part though. What's your opinions?

holy shit, stop it already, you're confusing sample rate and the frequency spectrum and acting like you're the one that knows more than the other guy

Hey thanks for feed back

I am
cool you said that the synth needs more movement, after i uploaded the clyp i added trem to the synth and it has a nice stereo pulse and delay to add more character to it! Feels a lot better now!

I will look into my friend's gear and see if they have any, but my external hardware is limited to just some pieces for when i am mixing bands in a live setting.

tried tidying the kick rhythm up as well as added a bit of percussion. Let me know how it sounds.
clyp.it/pvz0zaao

>the sample rate.
Do you imply that the 0-44100 Hz part of 192 kHz sampling has a higher data per second rate than the 0-44100 Hz part of 48 kHz sampling?

44.1 master race

This.

I didn't even know this was something you were getting confused about.

I'm talking about how many snapshots per second are being taken of a specific sound wave as it's being recorded.

Nicely done, the percussion will need some more variation probably but you understood what I was talking about.
Pretty interesting track with a lot of good melodies. I think layering a few more synths in the middle to really establish some chord progression could do some good for the track. Also, finding space in the track to leave the arpeggiation out for a bit and bringing it back would help vary the track.

clyp.it/0hxtcege

The vocals sound pretty off right now, I just switched comps and my autotune vst didn't cooperate with my ableton after getting transferred so I gotta retune everything.

Does anyone know how to get this sound? It seems like vocals go through Distortion effect + some kind of EQ, but I can't get that sound no matter how much I experiment with the effects.
youtu.be/vj5i8s6icsQ?t=1m24s
youtu.be/5onaWSflUQ0?t=2m51s

Yes, this is what I meant! Even if it's not as complex as before it flows much better with the rest of the track! Nice! Also, try to bring the kick down a bit in volume maybe? You are on your way to a nice mix!

lastest track, pretty minimal but i like the mix, any comments/criticism?

clyp.it/lo2zb2gz

though on this sound?

>clyp.it/dx5nt5hq

Higher sample rates are needed exactly for capturing higher frequencies, can you describe in clear English how higher sample rates affect common musical frequencies of 20-25000 Hz in any way?
>holy shit, stop it already
Ok, just answer this.

Awesome, I'll try that with the kick. thanks so much!

>layering a few more synths in the middle
I'll try doing that, thanks for the feedback!

I can't. Because you don't have the relevant experience to be able to explain it to you in words.

It's a feeling. Science can't explain WHY we perceive higher sample rates to be clearer and more detailed. Music isn't a pure sine wave. There are dynamics and harmonics that we feel.

Rent out a legit studio space with mastering quality DACs and A/B a normal audio CD and an SACD or DVD Audio disc.

The differences are hard to describe.

Until then, just agree to disagree.

>I can't. Because you don't have the relevant experience to be able to explain it to you in words.
Very well, I understand you, bye.

>can you describe in clear English how higher sample rates affect common musical frequencies of 20-25000 Hz in any way?
i guess one way to do that would be to say it's like capturing video in higher framerate. 30fps/44.1 is gonna be fine most of the time but going higher will let you capture additional detail

Nyquist Theorem

basically sample audio at twice the required highest frequency to get accurate reproduction of all frequencies up to the highest. anything higher than 2*25000 will not affect frequencies 20-25000

actually i lied, if you have frequencies higher than 25000 at 50000 sample rate, if anything goes over 25000 you can get aliasing, where frequencies essentially wrap back around to 0 and start going up again.

so a higher sample rate helps combat that. i believe it's called 'oversampling'

Hence why sounds recorded at a higher sample rate sound more "open" and clearer. The anti-aliasing filter is at a much higher frequency preventing high frequencies from clouding up in a way.

(regarding )
thanks guys, it's nice to get an opinion. i tried raising my 808s an octave but i don't think that works well, it just makes it into a different song. so i tried lowering the volume and distortion, and i also tuned them which i actually have tried earlier but felt like by doing that i lost something.
here's the quickly edited version
clyp.it/kqfckkvt

is it so obvious the previous one wasn't tuned right whereas this one is?

Your 808 isn't out of tune, some of your synths are clashing with the melody but you are singing in the same key as the bass, assuming the bass is the tonic(first note of the scale).

You can actually fix this pretty easily, just base all your synths off what your autotune is tuned at, which if you didn't change it is probably in C Major.

I'd say its low passed with light chorus, delay and distortion. Then the distortion is on full when it drops. Get exponential Excalibur

So my Ableton Live trial ran out, and I'm not quite sure what to do now. I don't have $700 laying around, and I don't know where I could pirate it. Not a chance I'm using The Pirate Bay unless there's a torrent that doesn't have some trojan included.

you on any private trackers?

Using Piratebay isn't hard to figure out. If the poster is an admin it's not gonna contain a virus. If the torrent has a lot of seeders, that's a bunch of people vouching for it. I've torrented for years and never got a virus, unless I might have some hidden malware somewhere deep in my pc chipping away at bitcoin, which I highly doubt.

Nope, too dumb for that.

clyp.it/qfwjeypt

any tips on cleaning up these vocals? I've already EQ'd the fuck out of them to get rid of all the other instruments from the original song but i think there's still some seeping through.

Rutracker.

The issue is that the instrumental doesn't fit with the vocal, it's like they're in different keys.

get Reaper

Here's another project I am working on.

more of a straight forward house track. Does it need more complexity or does it feel nice to just "ride the vibe" all the way through.

clyp.it/i1pjrtgn

learn c++ and write your own daw

what daw are you using?

i use ableton, any comments or critiques for my clyps? :O

You could pan the vocal chops from right to left in sync with the kick at parts like 2:48 for example. Would give it more impact and some variation when nothing more is happening. I'd also make the snare i tiny bit quieter, but maybe that's just me.
Sounds nice otherwise, I like it.

where did you get those vocal samples?

clyp.it/g00kyg0q

how does it sound now?

It sounds more in key than the previous clyp for sure but some of the bass notes are questionable, I think they clash with some accidentals on the vocal, not sure what's going on but the mix and arrangement need a lot of work.

Thanks for the feedback, this clyp is a little old and I did notice the snare was a bit too "in your face" so I toned it down. I will also add some variance in pan for the vocals too!

just digging around the internet, there are a few sites that you can go to to get some a cappella vocals.

freevocals.com/acapella-category/free-downloads/ for example is one, but try other ones too.

stfu do you want /prod/ stealing your vocal hook and spoiling it forever with their shit

Best not to use those because they're not royalty free which means if you make something great by accident you now owe free vocal and the singer money

So I downloaded this 242gb torrent on rutracker called Komplete 9.

So I installed it and I have all the shitty plugins, but I can't figure out how to register them. There's nothing said on the fucking page about what to do after you run the setup. There is an ''''activator''' in the folders for the plugins, and presumably it should register the plugin, but it doesn't.

Anyone got experience with this shit? Google translate must be hiding sth from me...

here is the torrent I'm talking about : rutracker.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4680823

>not sticking it to the man
>not fucking the system
>not pirating everything without a single fuck
>not ignoring the judicial system around music rights

hahahahaha

[spoiler]ha[/spoiler]

release it for free not everything has to be about shekels

Nothing would happen until you attempt to license or sell your music that has copywritten samples. Im sure none of us in this thread will make any money from our music.

Go ahead then, its about the stupidest thing you can do. Imagine making a popular song and then all, that's right ALL the money you make from it has to go to someone else

i made 3 euros on bandcamp today so up yours

who gives a fuck about money when making music

that's not the website i used for this track though, i wont reveal all secrets but you gotta help out others.

I understand that, mine are royalty free though. and if i use some that are not, i wont post it to make money.

Is rutracker trustworthy? Last time I downloaded something off there I had to scan my PC for like 5 hours.

look at mr bigshot over here

>mine are royalty free though
from that site? I don't see any

you'd give a fuck if you spent hours on a track and it made money that you have to give away as well as legal fees, its not even worth playing around with not royalty free vocals

pleas, i was downloading it for a week

If only you knew russian, right. There's probably english guys who've run into that problem just google it

mine are from a different source

mentioned in this comment. i just posted an example for user asking. there's tons of royalty free sites out there, but i went to recording school and worked with lots of local artists, so my vocal samples are pretty extensive. I understand what you're saying though, I've seen that happen to artists before. Gotta be careful.

Yes it is.

A difference between parallel compression and merely using the dry wet knob is you can add effects like saturation to only the compressed send

i'm having trouble googling how to crack a vst lmao shit

look at all those pages and pages of russians having problems with it. 53 pages! So did you see that and think, this should work fine??

could be pages of russians thanking the uploader tho