Consider the following:

Consider the following:
>drums by Phil Collins
>guitars by Robert Fripp
>an album-running concept about mental and societal breakdown and decay
>storytelling lyrics that could have come right out of Selling England By The Pound

Is it safe to view Peter Gabriel [III] as the Peter going back and writing the one last Genesis album that he regretted never being able to do?

Peter Gabriel [Mercury, 1980]

After hitting a sophomore jinx with Peter Gabriel, on Atlantic, the first man of Genesis fulfills the promise of Peter Gabriel, on Atco--with pessimistic postprog art-rock minidrama rather than DIY DOR. "Games Without Frontiers," a different kind of internationalism, and "Biko," a different kind of Africanism, lead and finish side two rather than side one. Either he doesn't know his own strengths or he underestimates his audience--or both. B-

>The songs aren't in the right order
what an absolute hack

I don't know what's more loathsome, Christgau or avatarfagging

>guy who's never created any artistic work in his life because he had no creative skills
>dedicated his life to taking out his frustration on actually talented people

>with pessimistic postprog art-rock minidrama rather than DIY DOR

This is exactly the same as that ELP review where he gives it a D+ because hurr you can't dance to it. What a pleb.

Digits confirm.

Also, Family Snapshot is a fucking masterpiece

no, but it's a great fucking album

It's probably his magnum opus

I always thought this album was unfortunately dated and cheesy, but I guess I could give it another shot

Anyone know what DOR is? Tried googling and whatnot, to no avail

I mean, people really love to rag on critics like Christgau, but critics are arguably essential in the producer-critic-consumer triumvirate. I think critics are most valuable when they put their critical reputation on the line for something new that they love. (see: Lester Bangs; repping Velvet Underground, Beefheart, garage rock, Astral Weeks, NY punks, etc. before most other critical acclaim arrived).

Christgau's approach to rating based on what he thinks everyone will enjoy is kind of inherently flawed though, especially because he brings his own personality and preferences into the fold so often

he makes way too many assumptions about the intentions of the artist, then tries to rate them for achievement
kind of like the music equivalent of a sports journalist

Security is the best Gabriel solo album

All albums are of their time, that's why listening to music is so special, because it's like a gateway to the emotional climate of the time that it was made.

That said, Melt is an absolute masterpiece. Grab a FLAC/vinyl and some good headphones and get ready to be blown away. The production alone is incredible.

When will 2017 take this talentless fucking scourge of society?

Looking at that beady-eyed face and reading that drivel is enough to fill anyone with antisemitic rage

>Anyone know what DOR is?

Dance Oriented Rock, ie. stuff like Blondie.

He's not Jewish though.

The apartheid protest song is comical in retrospect now that we've seen what giving freedom to the jigaboos has done.

I feel the same thing when I listen to it.

It was a different time, and they didn't know what we know now. You just have to respect that Gabriel et al were doing what they thought was the right thing with the knowledge that they then had at hand.

Even still, while I'm all for race realism and I believe that any attempt to equalize outcomes between blacks and whites is doomed to failure, I still think that we should treat the niggers with respect and dignity and allow them the same opportunities to succeed that we give ourselves and that there's no reason to be raging dickheads to them like the Afrikaners were.

We just shouldn't be surprised when they don't succeed the way they do, and we shouldn't be afraid of saving them from themselves.

Tell that to his nose.

Exactly. It's like leeching. You can't fault them, they genuinely were doing what they thought was best at the time. They didn't have the knowledge and experience that we do today.

I honestly think that in the coming decades we'll grow to see the provision and protection of jobs appropriate to the full IQ spectrum as a human rights issue, as human biodiversity both within and between races becomes impossible to ignore.

i honestly had no idea that peter gabriel and eric clapton fans had such an overlap

it's underrated but not as good as Melt - second best, I'd say

This post made me figuratively spit my coffee all over the keyboard

Peter Gabriel has popped all throughout my day and now I come on Sup Forums and see this

"in many ways the work of a critic is easy. We risk very little yet enjoy a position over those who offer up their work and themselves to our judgement. We thrive on negative criticism, which is fun to write and to read, but the bitter truth we critics must face is that in the grand scheme of things, the average piece of junk is probably worth more than our criticism designating it so." - Anton Ego, Ratatouille

>Ratatouille
BRAVO PIXAR

Ratatouille was absolute and utter kino in a way that we have yet to replicate. Disney himself would have weeped tears of happiness were he to see it.

>any ELP album
>better than a D+

Are you implying that posting a picture of a well-known individual like Christgau alongside a quote of Christgau is avatarfagging?