In this thread you are FREE to discuss any music you want

Have a good thread!

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/Czfo2EDumgU
youtu.be/6Mz5rR0y0fM
youtu.be/PrK1DayUFP0
youtu.be/Svlg8Hp3Jyc
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Anyone else here like Herbie Hancock or am I the only one?

I would genuinely like to discuss his works.

What is Björk's best album?

Head Hunters was the album that got me into jazz. I recommended Sextant to a friend of mine, who's not really into jazz and all he could say was: "WOW". Herbie Hancock is just great.
youtu.be/Czfo2EDumgU
I recommended Sextant to him, because of this video and because I thought it would illustrate the atmosphere Neil's been talking about.

Debut or Post.

I'm kinda surprised you had him start with Sextant since that was Herbie's most bizarre/abstract album. I'm not saying it's BAD but it definitely took a while to grow on me (and I'm still trying to get Rain Dance to click).

Has your friend tried out any of his other albums? What's your favorite?

He did listen to Head Hunters before though. It's so groovy and lighthearted, that anyone I've recommended it to loved it. I haven't listened to all of his albums, but as of right now, I'd have to say that Sextant is one of my favorite albums of his. And pic related is what I love about him.

I also enjoy zap noises.

What have you heard from him?
What video is that YT comment on? The one you shared?

I didn't mean zap noises exclusively, I meant innovation and forward thinking style. That comment is from this video:
youtu.be/6Mz5rR0y0fM
I also enjoy Crossings and Mwandishi. Which experimental albums of his would you also recommend?

This may be one of my favorite albums of all time. In regards to its content it is in some way to Sextant. I don't know if you're a fan of Eno, but this album is a masterpiece in my opinion. Pedal steel guitar on an ambient album, go figure. And it works. What he set out to achieve on his latest album, Reflection, he achieved for me on Apollo.

Grimes

is anyone into opera here
if so what are your favourite songs

cantaloupe island is nice but I never heard anything else by him

>Which experimental albums of his would you also recommend?
That was pretty much it for his experimental phase, between those albums were his Funk phase.

Fat Albert Rotunda was released right before Mwandishi and has a lot of the same funk vibes that Headhunters does. Would highly recommend it.

Thank you. What other genres do you listen to?

>cantaloupe island is nice but I never heard anything else by him
Start with Empyrean Isles and Maiden Voyage.

You're safe with anything from the Blue Note years (Takin Off, My Point of View, Inventions and Dimensions, Empyrean Isles, Maiden Voyage, Speak Like a Child, The Prisoner)

A lot of hip hop, some baroque (pop) and psychedelic.

But then again it's impossible to fuck up Psychedelic.

I like Foetus

I LOVE CARLY

I can't wait for her next album

John Frusciante's solo work is really good. What do you think?

Psychedelic pop or psychedelic rock? If it's psychedelic rock, I have a recommendation for you.

Both. Send me the rec.

some user recommended pic related to a guy who broke up with girlfriend.
im diggin it

like said, Head Hunters got me into Jazz. Nowadays I prefer Empyrean Isles and Maiden Voyage, but I'll always feel nostalgic for Head Hunters. I had the privilege of seeing Herbie live with Chick Corea a few years back, and it was undoubtedly one of the best concerts I've ever seen

>I had the privilege of seeing Herbie live with Chick Corea a few years back,
You. Lucky. Bastard.

I haven't been to a concert yet but I'm going to be going to one in July.

What else by the Herb have you heard? What did they play at the concert?

homogenic imo

I mainly stick with his Blue Note stuff, as I'm more into Modal Jazz and Post-Bop than World and Fusion Jazz. When he played with Chick Corea, I honestly didn't recognise anything, they just went nuts improvising and riffing off of each other. I'll be seeing him again this summer, but I have no clue how he's gonna top that, safe for reanimating the corpse of Bobby Hutcherson

While this may not be a psychedelic rock album, I think you'll enjoy it either way. They pioneered it at Woodstock by the way. Other recommendations: Cream - Disraeli Gears, The United States of America - S/T, Gong - Camember Electrique, Captain Beefheart - Safe as Milk, Syd Barrett - Barrett.

How much were tickets to see him? I would kill to go to one of those concerts.

I remembered putting a lot of these on my 60s chart. I look forward to listening to them. Thanks.

Literally only know about Herbie through you Herbieanoan. Still never listened to him

I'll have to look that up, I got em a while back. I know for a fact that they weren't cheap, he's playing at a very nice concert hall in Copenhagen

Any other anons fans of Bright Eyes here? One of my favorite bands, up there with Swans Animal Collective and GY!BE

Listen to him already then ya goof.

Lucky. Bastard.

Homogenic

Can anyone recommend more music like this? Obvs besides QOTSA and Screaming Trees. Recently started listening to Mark Kozelek, sorta similar.

youtu.be/PrK1DayUFP0

Recs for me to become less plebian if I'm a big jack white fan?

Look into early 2000s garage rock.
Also blues punk.
Similar sound, a little more 'raw.'
Here's one by The Immortal Lee County Killers.
youtu.be/Svlg8Hp3Jyc

robbie basho maybe

what is a good website for high quality album art?

google is failing me now.

Try googling spotify with the name of the album, that way it shows the visuals spotify uses (not sure if that's high quality enough)

albumartexchange.com
fanart.tv