/daily/ Shinji Sato is Like Miles Davis But Good Edition

Baaaaa ba ba ba BAP BUDADADA BUDADAAAA

Sorry to make another OP with Fishmans but I thought this was the most memorable moment from last thread.

The point of these threads is to encourage people to look for new and interesting music. We do this by listening to and ideally discussing albums we've never heard before. Many of us already listen to new music daily, these people are in it to venture "out of their comfort zone" by listening to albums they otherwise wouldn't have, or just to have a good time.

neverendingchartrendering.org/
>come here to make charts

plug.dj/sdc-room-3-the-sequel
>come here to endlessly circlejerk over meme videos and maybe sometimes hopefully music

dailymu-sic.weebly.com/
>come here for op pics, charts, listenalongs, misc. stuff

previous thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

rateyourmusic.com/collection/vtimdon/reviews,ss.r.d
mega.nz/#F!LYUnEAaL!p-ZXyKC_7GkMbriy70XHPA
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/siddiq/arnecia-hawkins/
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/eric-taxxon/endless/
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/disconscious/hologram_plaza/
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/infinity_frequencies/computer_decay/
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/trance_biz/sunless/
thequietus.com/articles/22002-listen-new-horse-lords
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

LOL that's the only good Real Estate album and people get so mad when you inform them of that
>b-bb-b-but m-m-m-muh jangle pop waaaaaaaaaaah
ahahahahahahahahahhahahhhh

nat got dubs on his op and you made him delet...

What's your favorite jazz performance? I like the live rendition of Long Season by Shinji and the Fishlads.

an actual, probably 4/10 review comin' up. Look forward to it.

idrc I've never heard much of them

Plus his OP pic was better. I didn't though and was for real just about to delete mine.

What was the test on?

Analyzing the polyrhythms used in Long Season

The Search Party - Montgomery Chapel (1969)
>folk rock, christian rock

Sounds about like what you'd expect a late-60s psychedelic christian folk rock album to sound like. Totally, completely, utterly cheesy. Has a lot of really nice, more delicate moments with some impeccable guitar work nearly reminiscent of Astral Weeks-era Van Morrison, but it also tries it's hand at some more prog-influenced songwriting and technicality, and the band isn't nearly as good at this. This is when the cheesiness really comes into play, it's like a more psychedelic Moody Blues with a truly odious keyboard tone and some lyrics about Jesus. It's really quite alright, but it's so damn unsubtle and over-the-top that really only the more delicate, pastoral moments make it out unscathed.

2.5-

are you doing a big review dump

>Plus his OP pic was better
i'm a big fan of the classics but i will always push for more people using album cover edits for the OP pic

>Ween – Pure Guava

I would argue one of the least subtle albums ever. By design, unpleasing and taboo-attacking, and something that feels crafted just for me. I honestly really have a thing for albums that defy convention by using those same influences. This may seem like a broad descriptor, but it would explain why I get so much love from Magnetic Fields, Zappa (probably one of the few comparisons to Ween that actually makes a lick of sense), and TMBG (a band people incorrectly draw parallels to between Ween). None of which really have much in common with that one element. It shows a passion and genuine love from what you’re lampooning, which is something I totally admire.

I bet most people would get at least SOMETHING out of tracks like Sarah, Don’t Get 2 Close, and, of course, Push th’ Little Daises. All of which show Ween probably find more beauty in what they defy than they maybe pretend they do. I think there’s a lot of great shit here missed in what some people call the “bad” tracks here. I Play it Off Legit Show demonstrates a lot of that killer humor I really have yet to tire of: “My mom bought me a cool shirt/When I wear it I’m legit”. Apparently Deaner and Gener were off Scotchgard for the recording of this, but this track and the more special, emotional tracks give that awesome feeling of losing your bearings similar to that found on The Pod. Ace. Another example of these “missed” good moments are found on the longest track of the album (unfortunately, for most it would seem): Mourning Glory. For real one of the best tracks on here but it’s like nothing Ween’s really ventured into otherwise, so I could see why it’s unappealing to most.

part 1 of 2

>capital H

REALLY basic, surface level psychology. That test in particular was just on memory and language, broadly. I have a B+ in that class, which honestly is really pathetic for me, considering how easy the material is.

if two posts is considered a "dump" then yes.

I could go off reviewing what elements I like and dislike about every track, but the reason I’m writing this review is to see if I think it’s perfect, just as good as I thought, or worse. After sitting on this one for a few weeks, I think it’s fair to say it’s AMAZING, but not quite perfect. Specifically, Flies on my Dick and Loving U Thru it All are the only two tracks I find myself skipping constantly. There’s just not that much there for me with those two. They’re fine, but have no specific elements I could really praise in comparison to everything else.

This gets an O for still great, but not a 10. Wouldn’t really recommend to anyone not a huge Ween fan already. And even that is a pretty broad, unfair group that might not get out of this exactly what I do.

What should be next? I’ll probably just be doing at a slow pace I feel appropriate, but I would love to hear some feedback.

>no reply

>REALLY basic, surface level psychology. That test in particular was just on memory and language, broadly.
So like what, semantic networks?

>Hungry and haven't done groceries for a few days
>open freezer
>Frozen red block of food
>looks like soup or chili
>microwave it

Long story short I ate spaghetti sauce for dinner.

Gonna rip some studying and listen to more Minimal Piano Collection volumes, got 4 more to do.

so what is the point of this just listening to your favorites and asking yourself if they're a 10?

Stella Luna - Stargazer (2002)
>shoegaze, dream pop

Yep, this is certainly a shoegaze EP. It does little to offend but it does very little to engage either. I'm a big fan of its focus on the spacier textures of shoegaze, coming off like a nice mixture of Souvlaki and Lazer Guided Melodies (both albums I love in styles I'm not huge on), but Stella Luna's approach to this style isn't nearly as engaging and innovative as what was presented on these two albums. It meanders along without ever really giving the listener anything to truly latch onto. That is, until the last track, which is the EP's finest and one of the more intriguing shoegaze tracks I've heard. Its influence from space rock and post-rock adds dynamic to the band's sound that doesn't exist on the first three tracks, and it's so much damn better than these tracks that it's almost a tease. Enjoyable little EP, but a bit of a slog and the last track really overshadows everything else.

2.5-

King Crimson - Larks' Tongues in Aspic (1973)
>progressive rock, art rock

Another fine album from Fripp and co. The late John Wetton takes on the coveted vocalist/bassist role here, a role he'd continue on Red, my favorite KC album, and he does a damn fine job. His presence seems to kick the band into heavy metal overdrive (funny, considering his stuff with Asia), and that's no exception here, this is probably the band's heaviest release. That's not to say that it all sounds like metal (although both parts of the title track are proto-metal at its finest), the band's experiments with free improv and the more chaotic ends of free jazz are brutal, and they compliment the more traditionally heavy tracks well. Not huge on "Book of Saturday", the album's shortest track, or "The Talking Drum", which has some weird, goofy sound effects that clash horribly with everything else on the record, but I like this a lot.

3.0+

From a study guide I made:

>Representation and Organizaiton
>Protytype theory, hierarchical models,
>Representing visual-spatial info as propositions
>forgetting curves, decay, interference, etc.
>retrievel cues
>Constructive effects in memory: works of Bartlett and Loftus
>Amnesia, agnosia, aphasia
>Competence vs. performance ins language
>structure of language: phonemes, morphemes, phrases, etc.
>Neuropsychology of language, identifying areas like Broca's area, Wernicke's area and what they do

Stuff that would be hard for people that have spent less than two minutes with the subject, maybe. I don't know many other people in that class so idk how the class is doing as a whole, but stuff seems pretty obvious to me.

Seeing if favorites I've accumulated while doing /daily/ (or, in a couple cases, just before) are 10/10, just as good as I thought they were when I heard them, or worse than I originally thought.

I haven't given any album on /daily/ a 10 yet, so I thought spending whole weeks/months with albums I consider favorites would help.

haven't listened to much KC in a while, have the urge to now.

I listened to that Tuxedomoon album today, it's good stuff. The vocals were kind of bland but the sax and violin coupled with some minimal wave esque synth made a really cool atmosphere.

You should listen to Kazma Kazma soon, you'll probably like it

yeah, a bridge to nowhere is a fantastic song. i'm just a sucker for space-gaze

Sounds like a pretty good class, and surface level only in that it doesn't really require any prerequisite knowledge. I dunno how in depth you studied each of those headlines, but it covers most of what we learned in cognition class, and a bit more (language stuff we went over in developmental psychology for some reason).

>Not huge on "Book of Saturday"
It gets a lot better when you dive into how incredible the guitar performance is on it. It's basically jsut a very subtly done Fripp guitar wank track.

If you like Wetton era KC, the Great Deceiver live box is mandatory listening. And if you like Belew, Absent Lovers is also amazing, it's basically the definitive live takes of their New Wave era.

Karma is not a 10 you frick. But you do have 3 of my 10's in there so I'm kind of in a pickle about shitting on your taste. Do those next and bump them to like a 6 or something please.

Yeah, out of the ones I've been revisiting, Tuxedomoon and Satie seem the most likely to get a 10.

Tuco hates Desire with a passion for some reason, so I'm considering giving it a 10 for no reason other than to piss him off.

Yeah I enjoy it so far. I'm probably doing well for no reason other than I really enjoy reading into the material.

>I'm probably doing well for no reason other than I really enjoy reading into the material.
This is the best reason possible. Are you taking more psychology classes or was this a one off?

Idk why jazzlords hate Karma so much now. I know he a lot of ideas from A Love Supreme, but wouldn't music be better if everyone did this?

And no one knows if it's gonna be a 10 yet. Not even I :{}

I'm taking a full year. Pretty sure taking a year of entry-level science classes outside your major (could've also taken bio, chem, physics, etc.) is required for my degree, and I would guess in most colleges in US. Probably gonna just finish out this year of classes and then probably won't take many more. Will probably focus more on the programming/software development route.

Fair. Personally I probably wouldn't have taken psych, but I'm just pretty bitter about my education right now on the whole.

the guitar is great, i'm just not into really anything else about it.

i'll check em both out, thanks!

had you the chance to do it all again, what would you take instead?

Uh, dunno. If I could go way back I would've actually studied in high school and gotten into medicine, maybe technical physics engineer. Going back two years, maybe nursing.

>McCoy Tyner - The Real McCoy

I suppose this was "good" jazz "objectively" in that it's straightforward and clearly played skillfully, but nothing here grabbed me. It seemed so standard and paint-by-numbers.
I liked the tenor sax and some of the piano interludes, but other than that it is pleasant, inoffensive background noise.
It falls short of the masterful organized chaos of tropical vibes that was Sama Layuca, which got me interested in him in the first place.

>Bull of Heaven - 351: Total Bliss

I don't know why I decided to check this one out, but I guess I wanted to see if this meme band was capable of actually making something engaging. Not really, as it turns out. This is essentially a band making a poor Earth impression. Nothing to see here.

>Blind Willie Nelson - The Complete Blind Willie Nelson

Yeah I'll probably get shit for my lukewarm reception of this record seeing as how pretty much everyone adores it for whatever reason, but I don't know what I'm missing. Don't get me wrong, his voice is absolutely incredible and his lyrical hooks are instantly memorable. He gets a solid score for that alone. But that's all this is. Call me ADD but I need a little more sonic variation to chew on. I also feel like I have to be in a specific, desolate mood to appreciate it. A tad to repetitive and draining on me, and I even listened to each disc with a break in between.

That comp is some of the most crushing, raw, emotional music ever recorded, but I wouldn't quite say it's for everyone dude. I would expect everyone to get SOMETHING from it, but not for everyone to love every song. After all, it is an hour and a half of more or less the same.

No matter how you feel, you can't not love Dark Was the Night or God Moves on the Water. Those are always the most memorable to me anyways.

I've thought about doing nursing for a while, idk if I'd risk it with all the sketchy shit happening with healthcare in the US though. I'm enjoying what I'm doing in programming anyways, but it's pretty much at least a few hours a week by myself hunched over my laptop on some processing application.

>Idk why jazzlords hate Karma so much now. I know he a lot of ideas from A Love Supreme, but wouldn't music be better if everyone did this?
lmao did you just assume my opinion of it so you could attack it?
Also I'm just one dude; it seems pretty universally liked so I'm not sure who you're referring to.
>jazzlord
Because I went through an exploratory period? I'm as much a 'jazzlord' as I am a proglord or a minimalismlord or a blueslord.

Delete this, I'm not fucking around.

Deathspell Omega - Fas – Ite, maledicti, in ignem aeternum (2007)
>black metal

One of the more intriguing takes on black metal I've heard. It's not all good, mainly because the more aggressive tracks all kinda blend together, but it knows how to use dynamics and I love how avant-garde it gets at times. Every track sounds like it's nearly on the verge of falling apart but none of them ever do, it's controlled chaos at it's finest and I really dig it. The ambient tracks are a nice addition to the album as well. Definitely wanna look more into this band.

3.0-

aw, sucks that you weren't that into blind willie. totally get it how it could be draining though.

there will still be quite a few nursing jobs in the coming years, even with Trump doing his thing (weird how that turned out you retarded trump supporters) a lot of the nursing population is "graying" and going to retire soon so new and a lot of nursing jobs will open up. This is ofc not including how most hospitals are understaffed nursing wise atm. Sure was a bitch getting into nursing school tho, and now that I'm in there's more work than I ever imagined there would be, good thing my program is accelerated and I'll have a BSN in two years :D

TL DR: you become a nurse, there will be a job waiting

Glad you liked it to an extent. "A Chore for the Lost" is probably my favorite metal song period.

I think you're the one assuming too much dude. I was 100% joking.

I guess you're right though. I saw a lot of "Pharaoh Sanders is FAKE African and RIPPED Coltrane" in the past couple weeks so I guess I assumed it was common consensus. Still has a 3.99 (!!) from friends though so I guess disliking it that much is probably rare anyways.

And Jazzlord is a great descriptor don't deny it.

you're probably right, but I'm glad I stuck with programming anyway, and I think I'd be more passionate about this subject anyway than anything health-related.

Good for you tho man. Med school sounds like a bitch for sure.

just peeping one of my friends ratings after writing that post I found this: rateyourmusic.com/collection/vtimdon/reviews,ss.r.d
which is basically what I said anyways.

If you did one of your troll reviews in this format I wouldn't even be surprised cuz it's what I hear the most when talking about the album negatively.

>Bullshit 3 1/4
Very fun experimental psych record. Unfortunately, this threw alot at me and very little stuck.

>I Don't Remember Now / I Don't Want to Talk About It
A textbook example of minimal synth that utilizes it's limited synth palate well. Could have taken more risks, and the forced baritone vocals did't really fit.

>Under en sort sol
I wasn't too woo'ed by the melodies and song structure provided here, but fuck me does this album have a well realized and full sound. It also manages to pick up the slack on the second half, and provides a more palatable display of songwriting.

My new hobby is submitting assignments and reports with capitaI i's in the pIace of Iower case L's.

If l was gonna write a troll review I'd talk about how it sounds like a 5-year old indian child humming to a loose rhythm section for 32 minutes being transcribed to sax, with instruction to make the timbre sound extra emotional :''''''(

In reality though, it's just an alright album, but I really don't get the acclaim. Maybe one day I'll do an actual review of it.

>l was 100% joking.
Oh yeah bitch well I was 105% joking.

>William Onyeabor - Who Is William Onyeabor?
this is a pretty sweet compilation of extremely funky, synth-fueled tracks from william onyeabor. its a nice album to get lost in the vibe of, but of course, doesn't come nearly as close to the pummeling groove of fela. nevertheless, this is still an enjoyable listen.

3.5-
>The Upsetters - Super Ape
pretty nice introduction to dub for me! i like the earthy, atmospheric vibe to the whole album. since its more of a chill out album, it didn't grip me that much. but its still a solid album that i could recommend to anyone. not too much else to say about it.

3.0+

trip im gonna relisten to public strain now

You should also use non-breaking spaces in weird spots and use inconsistent formatting if you want to bug people. And using Cyrillic characters that look identical to the English one

I emailed moot for a delet request; not sure why he's not responding

I can't wait to be done with this lame ass sonic youth book

>The The - Soul Mining
The The's first album is... pretty ok. it's fairly standard new wave / art pop stuff. opener is nice but everything else feels pretty normal for the genre. the songs feel way shorter than they really are, i couldn't believe the the closer was nine minutes.

>John Wetton takes on the coveted vocalist/bassist role
john wetton is such an amazing vocalist
im listening to a king crimson album right now and it's pretty weak but boy his vocals make it worth sitting through

Lark's Tongues is the best crimson tho, props to trip up or stick

also I memed myself with the blind willie nelson, forgot I did that

Oh for sure there were a few tracks that really stuck with me: God Moves on the Water, Lord I Can't Just Keep From Crying, You'll Need Somebody On Your Bond. Everything else though. Not sure.

Yeah I definitely wanted to like it because I like the aesthetic, but it didn't do enough for me. Ah well.

what did you like about the aesthetic? BWJ never struck me as an artist who was big on that sort of stuff

ooh yeah, that was probably my favorite song on it.

I doubt it was his intention and maybe aesthetic is the wrong word to use, but despite generally disliking singer/songwriter records, I liked how stripped bare his songs are, it pairs well with his dusty vocals and their emotional impact.
There is only a quiet guitar strumming in the background with occasional backing vocals and nothing else. It's cool to listen to it now where it seems post-apocalyptic though it came from the past.

Stuff like that is an automatic 20% grade deduction per mistake, they don't fuck around when it comes to professionalism in Engineering.
The I thing though, is flawless.
I like to imagine the TA marking it has a keen eye and can spot a slight disturbance with the microscopic thickness increase (Il) but couldn't possibly mark it wrong for fear of looking insane.
It probably keeps them up at night.

don't pan it! or do! just be genuine

>Stuff like that is an automatic 20% grade deduction per mistake
fuck me

I thought I had it bad when I got reprimanded for having a page header a half-inch off.

this is the most jangle post ever

What kind of engineering?

How, there's no pig?

Hey Fish, I was told to come here since I wanted a high res scan of Kuchi Camp. Can you hook me up?

*Kuchu
kms. also I mean the album art if that wasn't clear

>mistake
Civil

:^)

The class average for our first assignment was like 40% lol. On one hand it's pretty dumb to lose so much for something not really related to the subject matter, but on the other the University is doing a pretty fucking good job ensuring professionalism in it's graduates, which i tend to agree with even when I get fucked by it.

Woopers that 'mistake' is not supposed to be there, minus 20% off my Sup Forums score

I gotchu

rest of the scans can be found here:
mega.nz/#F!LYUnEAaL!p-ZXyKC_7GkMbriy70XHPA

>Everyone in the pic looks high as fuck because they're high in the air

Damn...

thanks man, I love you. keep on keepin' on

Who else hype for the vaporwave chart?

Inspired from my newly found love: Chuck Person

I prefer the s/t. One of my favourite records of the last 10 years.
Days is great too.

But yeah, the last record (and these new singles) mostly suck ass.

there are only 4-5 really worthwhile albums on there desu.

spoiler: disappointment

As I was saying, Long Season at its peak was as good as any top class jazz composition, obviously you can compare some details such as the improvisation and complexity can't we. Its even more surprising considering Fishmans wanted and really loved being a DUB band. . . really guys, just stop and think about it

if the biggest fucking vaporwave post internet nerd on daily is saying this then boy you are in for a really bad chart

what vaporwave do u like then

is this that trip thread everybodies been talking about

Is Fishmans any good? Been meaning to listen to the one with the three dudes in the air but I've been putting it off

they're pretty bad for a jazz band but they're pretty alright for a dub band

You'll either fall in love with them or be confused as to why they're so popular

they're not as good as j cole let's put it this way

I'm not in love with them but I get why they're popular
I guess I'm in the minority

What would be good entry point? Thanks.

Fag

Drunkposting time boiiiiis

I got to listen to some straight up og Blind Willie Johnson, lemon Jefferson, and blind boy fuller 78's tonight. Was p good

no

Also I might say here than I'm going to prepare another...uh...review for otokotachi no wakare.

The reason is because I wanted to make things more clear and more detailed, and since i wrte that one in like half hour i decided to give it a better spin

Thinking about preparing maybe 2000 characters for song. That wouldn't be a bad idea. Again not sure because i'm not really a regular here

vaporwave more like trash

fuck this general

no u

With the amount of Fishmans talk here, a containment /fish/ general wouldn't be a bad idea.

there's no point in making that comparison tho that's what's up

>>/jazz/

tru
macplus and far side virtual (though not really vaporwave) are pretty essential. mediafired and dds are good too.
these albums are also pretty essential:
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/siddiq/arnecia-hawkins/
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/eric-taxxon/endless/
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/disconscious/hologram_plaza/
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/infinity_frequencies/computer_decay/
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/trance_biz/sunless/

Fishmans are illegal for the rest of the thread starting here. I originally joined /daily/ to escape Fishmans/Jason Aldean posting so maybe it's time to bring that back if things get out of hand again.

okay as arguably the biggest Fishmans fan in the western world I hope this is a troll.

>improvisation
??? Uh...some different variations are in the live performance. Maybe you could argue the drums are improvisational at parts, but it's certainly not jazz level.

>complexity
Long Season is amazing, but it's stupidly simple in it's themeing, structure, and note choice. Not even in comparison to jazz. More complex pop music has been made for the longest time. You ever heard Pet Sounds?

please do not

It would be cancer and 90% U GUYZ TOKE IT WHILE LISTEN TO SHINJI AND CRY?? so no.

the one guy just wanted a pic idk what your beef

yes but terrible timing

pic

don't tempt me. I've never given a good review out of spite but it might be my first.

Fishmans more like meme

you're not wrong bud

That was definitely sdc you were responding to

are we still doing that read-along thing?

fishmans more like suk my dik mans lmao

We need another music meme instead.

How about the true meme that the only good song on Pass the Distance is Jerusalem.

If it was sdc where's the sicilian boys/keneth anger pic huh??

no but for real I know. I just don't want people to be annoyed by the pure sight of them because of tasteful shitposting. It happened plenty last year already.

I'd be down, but I'm gonna be really busy for the next half a month.

new order? more like poo order lololol

are we the only sane ones left

thequietus.com/articles/22002-listen-new-horse-lords
This is stupid. It's a hip cover of a Julius Eastman composition.

Driving trucks
Small house near a farm
Sippin Jack Daniels with my pal Dave
Are things Shinji Sato can't have in his grave

which one

>It's a hip cover of a Julius Eastman composition.
Basically all of Minimalism post-1980 but that's none of my bizniz :^)

>How about the true meme that the only good song on Pass the Distance is Jerusalem.
i feel personally attacked how can anyone think this
jerusalem isn't even the best song on pass the distance