How will this be viewed 50 years from now?

How will this be viewed 50 years from now?

In VR

As a potato

in the history museum with all the other guitar based music

From the pit we have dug ourselves and subsequently lain in.

Also, on vinyl

fuck, came to post this

ITAOTS has grown steadily from month to month since its release. Neutral Milk Hotel now has half a million monthly listeners on Spotify. In 25 years, songs like KOCF pt.1 and the title track will be staples in modern music history even for ordinary listeners.

In 50 years we'll all be dead from a nuclear holocaust.

I came back here after 5 years of being away and a thread about ITAOTS is at the top of the catalog. We still won't shut up about it in 50 years is my prediction

Will they remember it 50 years later?

In the library of congress along with all media eventually. If the entire n64 library can fit on a 10 gb flash drive than certainly most media will be archived on massive multi-terrabite hard drives.

like a classic

Good post

What does this cover mean?

Really poor microphones or audio quality or whatever. Makes you nauseous

That's nice.

they're gonna be able to beam the album at perfect quality right into your cerebrum and ppl are still gonna buy it on vinyl.

dude in 50 years there's gonna be a way to generate unique realistic live performances using machine learning that can be experienced in virtual reality indistinguishable from real life. hell you can probably go in VR and be friends with a recreation of Jeff Mangum

>Really poor microphones
[citation needed]

Its shit now and it'll be shit then

It isn't a big enough cultural touchstone now to exist then. Despite this albums modern popularity, the only people who will even be in the position to pass this record along will be discriminating music nerds. In fifty years I'm not even sure The Beatles and Elvis will be recognizable cultural objects.

It won't.

came here to post this

Well, how was this album viewed 50 years later?

If shit like Jackson C Frank, who never had success when he was active, can have a following more than fifty years later, then I'm pretty sure ITAOTS will be remembered by more than just basement dwelling music obsessives.

But all of Jackson C Frank's followers are basement dwelling music obsessives.

This album is far more important and infuencial

Yes, and he's remembered half a century later.
My point is that NMH Hotel have a massively larger following than Frank ever did, so if he's remembered, then Jeff definitely will be

In 50 years, ITAOTS will be as well

Who the fuck cares about that garbage album outside of the nu male section of Sup Forums and pitchfork, which no one cares about?

No a lot of people care about Velvet Underground and Nico

I don't care about them either and think that most of their music is alright at best, they're not really influential either but they're still more influential than a small internet meme of an album in a genre that only hipster pretend to like that is already dead anyways.

>If I don't care about them, that means no one else does!

>tfw most of us are too autistic to pass our superior music tastes to the next generation due to not having any offspring

You were implying that I was attacking ITAOTS because I care about VU&N so I said I didn't care about them either to make my position more clear, but also, very few people actually do care about the Velvet Underground, especially these days.

"no"

Indie hasn't really taken off the same way rock and it's various subgenres did in the late 60s until well into the 90s...

There are indie music threads here daily, as well as people pitching about Indie ruining music or whathaveyou
Not an argument
It's often ranked as one of the greatest albums of all time. Nice try.

>It's often ranked as one of the greatest albums of all time. Nice try.
Yeah by autistic """critics""" like Christgau

Other than '05-'10, when was Indie music culturally relevant?

When was "culturally relevant" a rubric?

When multiple david bowie tier superstars point at ITAOTS being their influence you might have a case but untill then, "no"

You could have said the same thing about VU&N as well ten years later

Patti Smith, David Bowie,Iggy pop, the Sex pistols, all in under 10 years

faaxxx

a shitty meme that was only known by some numales on Sup Forums

TVU&N is mostly important because of its effects on music culture.

Like NMH
Arcade Fire, Decembers, Fleet Foxes, Bright Eyes, Father John Misty, Mumford & Sons, etc

"Like" NMH, but unlike it in far-reaching/decade-spanning impact.

>far-reaching/decade-spanning impact.
That is happening right now though.

Dude, NMH will always be win.