Who was the woman im the cave?

Who was the woman im the cave?

Me

Him

Roberta Paulson

Rachel

The owner of the island mentioned in the title, fool.

Didn't exist.

You're the cave.

Didn't you watch it? She was an escaped patient.

His daughter

How open to interpretation is the ending? I saw it theaters when it came out and left with the obvious impression but am wondering if perhaps his initial instincts could still have been right and he got rused into believing he was insane.

I remember when watching the shrinks explain to him how he was actually crazy thinking "no, don't believe that shit its a trap" only for it to become more and more conclusively obvious.

It was Plato's cave. In a sense, the woman was us.

It's a book adaptation remember, it's all explained in the book. He is legitimately crazy, there is no trick.

Bane

I like the possibility of the trick end better. I wish Inception hadn't been made and the proverbial spinning top had been put in this superior film instead.

The only thing open to interpretation was whether or not he decided to lobotomize himself.

Grendels mother

Ms. Shutter Island

Your mom

People tell the world you're crazy, and all your protests to the contrary just confirm what they're saying. Once you're declared insane, then anything you do is called part of that insanity; reasonable protests are "denial," valid fears are "paranoia," survival instincts are "defense mechanisms"

>perhaps his initial instincts could still have been right and he got rused into believing he was insane.

This is pretty much what I believe. They were feeding him hallucinogenics in the cigarettes.

what was the deal with the rats?

departed reference

Ratatouille reference

hinting that they were dumping bodies there

a decorated veteran like himself would instantly feel the difference between a gun and a piece of wood or whatever they used

and why the hell would they let him go on a boat that leaves the island if he's their most dangerous prisoner