Do you think gears still have a future in automobiles since the invention of the CVT transmission a few years ago or...

Do you think gears still have a future in automobiles since the invention of the CVT transmission a few years ago or will they soon be phased out?

Other urls found in this thread:

cvt-transmission.blogspot.com/2012/03/history-first-patent-for-cvt.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Of course, because there will always be people like me who actually know how to drive cars, and prefer a manual transmission.

"Leonardo DaVinci sketched the first CVT in 1490 First patent for the CVT Transmission was made by Daimler & Benz in 1886."
Source: cvt-transmission.blogspot.com/2012/03/history-first-patent-for-cvt.html
Answer: No.

Im with you user i love driving manual. I cant stand when a buddy ask me to drive their car and its automatic. Not nearly enough control imo

>gears
>phased out

Difficult to even conceive

Exactly.

Upsides to a manual transmission:

1) Better fuel economy
2) Far better control in adverse driving conditions
3) Ability to start your car even if the battery is dead
4) Looks cool as fuck and gets girls' panties wet.

Disadvantages:

1) WAHHHH I HAVE TO LEARN SOMETHING NEW?!?

To all men who drive autos: Grow a dick. Drive a stick.

Why the cutting of gears is not straight?

acustic reasons. straight teeth tend to "howl" at high speed + you can translate more Nm since there is always at least one pair of tooth in contact.
source: reverse-gear in almost all cars are straight cut. you can hear it when accelerating backwards.

t. bmw engineer.

If you aren't driving a race car it really doesn't matter... saying I need a manual or I'm gay is retarded and makes u seem like u wear a fedora. Manual vehicles are less popular over here anyways. 4wd vehicles a auto transmission is better.

Gosh dern 'muricans.

>Better fuel economy

That depends alot on the driver. There are people who just drive like shit and waste a fuckton of fuel.

how can a gear be autistic?

He's right. In my Mazda I can go anywhere from 25 to 45 mpg depending on how I drive.

what kinda bearing would that thing ride on?

I don't think they had bearing back then. They just stuck the shaft in there and let it wear

huge one obviosuly

double layered pin rollers propably

a simple bush bearing with forced oil current.
tech is old as fuck.

addtional: due to the V-cut u dont need a axial bearing, since the wheel wont travel long the axis. bretty clever.

>I don't think they had bearing back then
nigguh what?
bearings have been around for like 400 years, first ones were brass slide bearings tho but still

CVT was invented in 1490 you mortherfucking idiot....

Until you drive a manual you don't get to say anything. It just feels so much nicer having your transmission essentially directly coupled to your engine, rather than the indirect coupling through fluid in an automatic

Bearings also include more than just ball bearings

Most CVT Transmissions are glasshouse shitboxes.

gears are used for much more than just transmission uknow?

>1) Better fuel economy
As someone who only drives manual, I'm not sure that is really true anymore. New automatics are crazy efficient.