Hebrew?

Can anyone read Hebrew?
This guy I know just got a tattoo of a biblical term in Hebrew but people on facebook are telling him its not actually Hebrew lol. Can anyone confirm? Where my Isreali brothers and sisters at?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/user/AominOrg/videos
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/I_Am_that_I_Am
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tetragrammaton
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Royal_we
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ars_(slang)
twitter.com/AnonBabble

This is what he thinks he got... I already see a problem so what does his tattoo actually say?

It says YHWH.
Now, in exchange you have to watch youtube.com/user/AominOrg/videos and often.

its hebrew
says yahweh
thats a boring ass tattoo

>Americans are literally branded by Thier slave masters

This image is actually wrong, not the tattoo.

He's a super boring guy.
Christian preacher dude, 17 kids or some shit.leads a church group. Probably has a sex dungeon in the basement type guy.
Does the little left squigley thing not fully forming up mean anything?

Thanks for the info

Any advices?

Boring and religiously inappropriate tattoo. I'm not some aspie that gets mad when someone gets a tattoo in Hebrew but even in the Talmud it says that every rabbinic authority knows that you cannot tattoo the name of God on yourself.

its just how hebrew letters look, ה

>religiously inappropriate tattoo
why's that?

On a scale of chill to autistic screeching, how upset do you get when a random Sup Forumsster replies "I'm a goyim"?

Tradition dictates that Jews do not write the name of God, except in the Torah. Even in English, Jews observant of this practice will write "G-d" instead of "God", for example.

In Hebrew, the name is usually replaced with "elohim" or "adonai", as appropriate.

Tattoos are routinely forbidden.

>לא תתנו בכם. אני יהוה.
>Do not tattoo (lit. mark) yourself. I am God.

That's not to say Jews didn't still tattoo themselves. It got to the point where some rabbinic authorities said that you were only forbidden from tattooing God's name on yourself and others said that any tattoos were straight up not allowed. The latter opinion was followed but pretty much every single Jew would think this isn't appropriate or acceptable. Even Jesus would have thought you were an aspie or idiot if you did this.

now why would i be upset about that?
with no flock the shepherd has nothing to herd

ok.. but that tattoo says 'I'm that I'm', right.

k.. so the whole process of tattoo is fofrbidden.. not the meaning of those particular words.

He means that it's grammatically incorrect

>G-d
Not necessary if you're on a computer. Computer typing isn't writing because it's not permanent. Your screen has a refresh of at leas 60hertz a second which means that every frame it is redrawn. Plus, web pages get created, destroyed, and modified all the time.

Furthermore, you can't write אלוהים or אדוני or any holy name on a parchment if it is planned on being shredded up or discarded later. You totally can write יהוה outside of a Torah script. You just can't shred it later on. Those documents need to be "buried" which usually means digging them a literal grave or throwing them into a huge vault. The Qumran scrolls were disposed of by leaving them in a cave.

No. That's a different phrase entirely. That image also uses the wrong letter twice:
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/I_Am_that_I_Am
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tetragrammaton

The image says יחוח instead of יהוה.

Judaism forbids tattoos
Judaism also forbids writting or saying יהוה in any form
Thus, tattooing the word יהוה is a double negative and allowed

t. Jewish master of theology

oh right
although that's how you say it in hebrew and since they're trying to emulate zog like speech i guess it's somewhat correct

>double negative and allowed
that was sneaky.

Get off muh Sup Forums you doss

>Not necessary if you're on a computer.
Really? I wasn't aware that there's a halakhic precedent for allowing the name to be typed on a computer screen.

Full disclosure, for you and others: I'm not Jewish myself; I've studied the religion and language to some extent. There are a million people who know this stuff better than I do (and a million who don't know it half as well, I suppose).

Exactamundo. It seems that Sup Forums pals can't understand basic rules of plurality in grammar. So they post cringy statements like that. Imagine if a Chink went onto Sup Forums and posted, "I have a big fat dicks." It's just stupid.

Yes the entire process of tattooing is forbidden. It was not always so unanimously viewed that way (i.e. there were some minority opinions that felt that tattooing pagan shit was what was banned) but I can't imagine a single Jew saying that it's okay to tattoo God's name on yourself. It's like a Hindu writing the Vedas on leather from a cow he slaughtered specifically for this purpose. It's just counter intuitive.

It's not right in Hebrew because it's plural
אי אפשר לאמר "אני גויים".

>it's an "american jewaboo thread" episode

>Judaism also forbids writting or saying יהוה in any form
Not exactly true. Tefillin have parchment scrolls with יהוה written on them. You just don't write them unnecessarily. It has to have an explicit purpose or else you risk having a latter sin of disposing the parchment inappropriately. There are certain cultural and rabbinic rules that kind of limit its written case to only a few instances in Jewish life, but it's not like you write it and you instantly die and get thrown into the depths of hell lol.

>you doss
You doss cunt*

yea you're right
drop the boo and you're correct

>youtube.com/user/AominOrg/videos
Hey there bro in Messiah

although it is never written in Tanach to not write nor say the actual Shem

>american jewaboo
I'm not an Evangelist. Those guys pay $3k to go to Israel and pick grapes FOR FREE. It's pretty fucking hilarious.

Yeah we're pretty fucking horrible. We're either hyper atheists that want to ruin the world with multiculturalism or we're hyper religious freaks that stand up in planes during takeoff because some girl is sitting besides us. In a lot of ways, we're a lot like Israelis lol.

But we have one thing that makes us infinitely more insufferable than Israelis and that is our:
>consistent
>fucking
>whining

I'll see a Jew living in Upper Manhattan spending $3k a day with daddy's credit card and she'll cry that she is discriminated against and lacks "privilege" because some homeless black dude called her a kike on the street.

That's Hebrew. It says G-d.

Even worse

>Tanakh
Doesn't matter what it says in Ketuvim or Nevi'im. They're supplementary works but we don't pasken biblical law from those works. Christians seem to think that Chronicles matter just as much as Exodus and it's pretty weird. It's just a really black and white way to view canonical works and it just gives ammo for secularists to throw at religious individuals.

Not saying I'm religious either but I prefer religion to be more organic than dictatorial.

it's funny you say that because my best online friend is Jewish

At least from my experience they seem pretty nice, keep to themselves, and have a religion that seems more interesting than protestantism.

Yeah it's obvious hyperbole. Most Jews are cool people, but we do have our extremes.

>Can anyone read Hebrew?

Well let me rephrase that. It is not found on Torah to not say nor write the tetragrammaton. I don't understand the big deal, if anything it is written many time to call His Name.

Yeah, I'm just being a stickler. You really didn't have to rephrase it, I'm just being autistic.

>I don't understand the big deal
It's mostly a case of oral law where many of these prohibitions stem from.

It only seems more interesting to you because it's exotic.

Not necessarily. Christian mysticism doesn't get nearly as much attention as its Jewish and Islamic parallels—not that any of them get a ton of attention, but the Christian side is especially quiet in my experience.

Then there's Hinduism, which doesn't really have a "mysticism" element to speak of because the whole thing is that.

False

Which branch of Judaism do you associate yourself with?

There's several reasons why I'm interested in it. The two big things are their version of God is more abstract, (where as big parts of Christianity anthromorphize God due to the likes of Michelanglo), and their culture is pro-intellectualism.

I think if the world took more after cultures like modern Japan (not into Japan at all btw), the world would probably be a lot better.

Christian mysticism is a thing because the reformation and enlightenment happened to dispose of mystic beliefs. Not to say you don't get mystic inspired works in Christian faith. See works like Dante's Inferno.

To be fair, Kabbalah is just regurgitated neo Platonic thought. It essentially started as Pythagoras literally worshiping octagons and progressed with this continued obsession over numbers and processes. I think Christianity manages to avoid a lot of it because they have a detailed canon for the metaphysical explanation of afterlife whereas Judaism and Islam do not.

isn't a thing*

At least our charedim aren't as insane as yours. They don't throw riots all day erryday and shit their pants when the government wants taxes.

Branches are dumb. I just identify myself as Jewish though I guess you could say I'm Orthodox/Dati because the only shul I'll walk into is one that identifies as such. Reform Judaism is a meme that died 20 years ago and only lives because it has a shit ton of political groups and committees and depend on the Reform movement to exist. The Conservative movement is basically an Orthodox Rabbi serving a secular/Reform community, so I give it less flack. Especially considering that it didn't exist until the 20th century (e.g. the JTS, a Conservative institution, and the RCA - an Orthodox institution, were both created by the same person).

I am really interested in hebrew mysticism, but i don't know what's the right point to start, i've a book about it in general and i bought the zohar wich is a really nice reading.

I especially like the influence this type of studies had oneuropean alchemy and science in the medieval/renaissance period

>book of zohar
I can't handle this spicy maymay

The Zohar is basically a transcript that compiled a large range of mystic beliefs that culminated into maturity during Muslim rule of Iberia. Of course mysticism has been around for thousands of years, but the field as imagined as a rigorous discipline really finds its roots in Muslim Spain.

Over time, it spread throughout Europe and the Near East. Many early European "scientists" picked it up as a mix of fact and folklore which lead to them thinking you can turn lead into gold or other silly ideas. Because these mystic beliefs were so religiously neutral in their initial impact into Western thought, they had spread throughout a variety of cultures and peoples fairly quickly. They especially blossomed with the invention of the printing press and their printed works only solidified their presence within the Western world.

Quite honestly, you're not going to really find any good materials on Jewish mysticism that aren't written in Hebrew or Aramaic. A lot of new age mysticism (i.e. the kind of shit that Madonna said she studied) is unreliable bullshit. You're getting some hippy interpretation of mysticism when you read Kabbalah books written by Joe Schmuck in his "Adventures for Easy Monetary Benefits: Let Me Show You God's Third Eye". I really don't know where to refer you to for literature but I'm sure someone out there might.

Not the RCA, I meant the Orthodox Union.

The Zohar is really dumb and it's written in bad Aramaic too. It contains a lot of post-hoc justifications for weird practices and traditions that were found in a few Jewish communities.

looks like hebrew but IDK it so I cant say. I am pretty sure though in Judaism tattoos are taboo, and considered not kosher.

It's a bit of an irl meme in Israel

>duuuuuude did you hear about the rabbi who read the zohar and went crazy/raped some kid/killed himself/etc?

That's actually kind of sad. It's just some dumb book with mystic interpretations of the bible and practices found within 12th century Spain. I don't blame them though, I go insane when reading the circular reasoning in the Zohar too. It basically wants to make me kill myself thinking that religious Jewry thinks this shit is real or relevant.

If you ever find someone trying to shill that shit on you, tell them that Moses de Leon made it up and pretended like Shimon ben Yochai wrote it. They'll sperg out and leave you alone shortly after.

It's a meme because no one actually went crazy from it, it's just a dumb elementary school rumor that magically explains any somewhat religious person who disppears for some reason.

Oh I know, that's just so funny. Why can't they just accept the fact that the dude just went ghost to Haifa and now mainlines dope after he got tired of all the religious shit?

It reads "Good goy"

maybe he's an anti-semite and he does it to piss of jews?

>In Hebrew, the name is usually replaced with "elohim"

but elohim is plural

Nah, nobody's that edgy. He's just some dumb Christian Pastor probably.

>but elohim is plural
Yeah interesting thing about that. It's clearly plural but we use it to refer to a singular entity (God). Some archaeologists and anthropologists say this means Judaism started off polytheistic but it's a historically interesting word. But, to be honest, mayim is also plural but we use it in a singular sense.

I guess it's kind of like how scissors are plural but we obviously use them in a singular sense.

What do jews think about judeo-christians or evangelical protestants?

I notice a lot of them resent it, it may seem cringeworthy to some Jews but it helps Israel survive, right?

It's like the royal we
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Royal_we

Plus, in Modern Hebrew the word Elohim evolved to just being the term for a singular god, and is gramatically singular.

The general word for a god is El, and the plural is Elim

Even writting Elohim is heretic for most religious people, so they write Elokim (the k letter looks like the h letter), or just the letter ה', which is just the letter h but is read as Adonai, which means "my lords" (again, majestic plural).

Wrong.
There are proofs that Judaism used to be poly, but this isn't one of them.

Also, water isn't singular, it's an uncountable plural, like in English.

Average secular pov:
>Judeo-Christians
Weird but harmless christian LARPers. Either be full Christian or full Jewish, you know?

>Evangelics
Crazy but give us money, so they are fine.

Religious view:
>Judeo-Christians
Literally worse than Hitler

>Evangelics
As long as they stay in America and just give us money it's fine. The moment you start talking about Jesus here it's chimpout time

>There are proofs that Judaism used to be poly, but this isn't one of them.
That's why I said some. It's not a really good proof and most academics throw it out nowadays. It was kind of pushed in the early 20th century.

>Also, water isn't singular, it's an uncountable plural, like in English.
An uncountable plural would be something like waters or seas. If water is an uncountable plural than meat is an uncountable plural of muscles and tendons.

But you're right, mayim isn't a singular word. I'm just trying to convey the point of plural not really being plural. I think your royal "We" example was better though.

That's sad, friend. Jesus died forJew too

Christians aren't really hated here, but Jews-for-Jesus are

>

why are judeo-christians worse than hitler

i mean I understand judaism is a religious ethnic based group, but I don't know why jesus would upset the average jewish person /that/ much

also random off topic thought, do you think the messiah being limited to the lineage of david is good or bad? how are you supposed to track that lineage?

Jesus fucking christ, religious people are stupid.

There's a branch of their organization down the street from the university I went to. On Thursdays, they'd set up a little stand at one of the main entrances to the campus and offer free cold-brew coffee to the students. Brews for Jesus, they called it. They didn't try to push their message or anything, even. Just wanted to offer us free coffee. It was nice.

Why do kikes follow such retarded rules/traditions? Its pretty sad, really.

That's the Tetragrammaton.your friend is going to hell for writing a forbidden word, Sonny.

can non jews convert to Judaism?

my jewish friends say you can but i have another friend who's pretty smart and he says according to the bible you can't be a real jew.

You sound like a literal cuckold-faggot. How do you even live with yourself?

What do you mean, user?

But they are evil ~MISSIONARYS~ who want to turn us all into Jesus worshiping atheist satanist!

>our
You are not an American. You are not white. You are not even a true human being. There should be laws against you and your "people" even having access to computers, let alone the internet.

wait so after reading through this thread you are telling me there are no cute tattooed israeli girls because of fucking judaism?

>when will the torment finally stop

You can.

The question is why.

Incorrect. That would be אהיה אשר אהיה. The Tetragrammaton is literally just the name of God. Your friend literally just had the word "Jehovah" tattooed onto him.

There are tons of people with tattoos here, even semi-religious arsim.

I don't know much about the reason behind it. I'm not Jewish, myself. I suppose it's a means of showing respect, but don't quote me on that.

Yes, free coffee is going to be our downfall, gasp!

(((Yael))) Kushner did it. Surely you can too.

>יתות
>יא' תות
lel

jewdaism is an intellectual cancer, yet you continue to happily preserve it and propogate it. And you do it for free. Why?

why not

>You are not an American. You are not white. You are not even a true human being.
;_;

>There should be laws against you and your "people" even having access to computers, let alone the internet.
What's funny is that some Charedi communities ban computers and the internet. Some others have cell phone stores that install kosher internet filters lel.

>semi-religious arsim
Ah yes, the arsi. The true pinnacle of Arabic """culture""".

>jewdaism is an intellectual cancer, yet you continue to happily preserve it and propogate it.
What's wrong with Judaism and Jewish thought?

>And you do it for free. Why?
Free kiddush lunch rocks, that's why.

>71644719

judaism is one of the most intellectual cultures on the planet

your post makes no sense

I think you don't know exactly what an Ars is.
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ars_(slang)

>tfw to inteligent to be a goy

I know what an Ars is. I'm just pissing the shit by calling Mizrahim "Arabs".

>your post makes no sense
Prove me wrong, bitchboy.

my iq is like 130 or so but i'm pretty sure im a goy

my mom's maiden name was hoffman but her family was just trailer midwest crap i'm not sure where it comes from

>gee us Jews sure are smart not like those dumb goyim hehehe
>now let's interpret scripture literally and physically put verses on our head and arm, that couldn't possibly have anything to do with our thoughts and actions

To be honest, prayer is kind of laid out like that. The Torah says you should get up in the morning and say the shema and it also lays out a few verses literally to say throughout the day. There is an argument about this topic in the Talmud though. One rabbi said prayers were standard, the other rabbi said prayers should be whenever one feels like it. The ruling opinion is with the former rabbi and not the latter.

Thinking about it, wouldn't the former opinion make more sense? Prayer isn't for you. When you think of a non believer praying in his darkest moment, we see that as a little bit petty. That the only time he prays is when he wants something from God. But prayer isn't about sending requests to God, it's a duty.

He's a Tetragrammaton Cleric?

I am criticizing the outwardness and literalism of practices such as wearing tefillin. You can pray with the mouth, the mind or the heart, the latter being the most exalted form of prayer -- the constant invocation of the divine name, to "pray without ceasing" (1 Thessalonians 5:17). And you should do so inwardly, by "going into your room and closing the door" (Matthew 6:6). This is contrary to the outward practices of the Jews, for whom "everything they do is done for people to see: They make their phylacteries wide and the tassels on their garments long" (Matthew 23:5).

>I am criticizing the outwardness and literalism of practices such as wearing tefillin.
It's very clearly an old tradition. Tefillin are found as early as the 3rd and 4th centuries BC. It's not like Jews got together one day and said, "Lol Bible said it! LMFAO" Some argue that it was probably borrowed over from the Babylonians or Persians.

>You can pray with the mouth, the mind or the heart, the latter being the most exalted form of prayer
You're not going to turn minds to accept that by quoting Thessalonians and Matthew. If the NT is a logical extension of the OT, then quote verses from those works as well.

>This is contrary to the outward practices of the Jews, for whom "everything they do is done for people to see
It's both a benefit and a problem. It's a problem because you get people spending $1000 on etrogs, but it's a blessing because these are community minded commands. You're supposed to do these things in the presence of others. It's preferable to serve God with your people.