Why doesn't this country have its own name?

Why doesn't this country have its own name?

The "United States of [continent]" is not a valid name for a country, especially when there are other countries on the same continent that are not part of the "united" one.
In addition to this, there also exist countries, similar to the one this thread is about, which still have their own name, although they consist of multiple states, like Germany for instance. Germany is not called the "United States of Europe", is it?

So why doesn't [flag.png] have its own name? Is it because they couldn't find a fitting one? Or what's the issue here?

Do you have any naming suggestions so we can help the poor citizens of this unnamed country to finally find their identity?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Amerigo_Vespucci&mobileaction=toggle_view_desktop
merriam-webster.com/dictionary/America
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

The flag is called the Star-Spangled Banner.
Also that flag is wrong.
The reason we're called the United States of America is because each state in America was originally intended to autonomously with their own constitution and laws.
This didn't work too well since the federal government lacked any ability to collect tax and amass an army.
We made several governmental changes that involved giving the federal government more power and taking that power away from the states.
Initially the states still acted fairly autonomously; however, in the past century the federal government has amassed so much power that it has over-shadowed the states.
People used to identify themselves by their state and now they simply call themselves American because federal government has significantly more power than the states.

>now they simply call themselves American because federal government has significantly more power than the states
And we are calling ourselves European because the German federal government does have more power than each state alone?
Your agument is not really convincing...

>Also that flag is wrong.
Dunno, I just downloaded it from Wikipedia

And what name do you propose?

America is our name and our states are united.

Atleast we are not chinks.

The Americas is two continents.

Also it has its name because it didn't exist as a cohesive entity until the Revolution, in which the thirteen colonies, which had by then become states in their own right by declaring independence, located in America, united. Hence, the "United States of America"

We were the first independent western style nation-state country in North America so the demonym "American" just stuck as it was shorthand to describe people from that region. The country also tried to change it in the 1930's but found it was too confusing for most people.

We know nowadays most countries in the Americas are autonomous and independent (which is why in Spanish the demonym for Americans was changed to roughly translate to "United Statesian") but back then it was just an easy shorthand to describe people from that country

We have this same argument every day

"America" in this context refers to the country. No one cares other than butthurt South Americans, and if disambiguity is absolutely needed "Pan-American" is used for stuff from the Americas.

daily reminder that germany has NEVER won a world war

Why do they keep trying

joachim gauck more like joachim cuck lol

yeah but see, USA is about 213 years older than me.
on the other hand, I'm older than your country.

The US (and Canada) used to be called Columbia, hence the "District of Columbia" as our capital. I guess it's too late since Colombia exists and there would be a lot of push back against renaming the country after Christopher Columbus who most people associate with genocide and colonialism now.

Most people don't even know the Americas got its name from another Italian and if they ever found out it would likely cause a politcal shitstorm

en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Amerigo_Vespucci&mobileaction=toggle_view_desktop

Nice

Vampire?

>american reading comprehension

this is the last time I try to defend you dumbfucks.

Oh lol you meant reunified Germany

Quit being so tsundere:)

Shartinmartiany

So were born before 1871 (or before 1949)? Interesting...

Second United Kingdom or hawknsland

Because we are not a country, we are a union of states.

You didn't read the whole post.
Germany is a union of states as well, but it still has its own name. Your cunt on the other hand does not have its own name.

But isn't deutschland literally translated to "land of germans"?

That's not much for a name either but whatever.

Good old king george buttrape of the colonies really fucked the idea of a central government.

"""""New Mexico"""""

America.

Federal Republic of Germany
People's Republic of China
Commonwealth of Australia
Kingdom of Belgium
United States of America

See how that works.

Germany lies in Europe.
China lies in Asia.
Australia lies in Oceania.
Belgium lies in Europe.
America lies in America.

Because they are oppressive Yankees. Dixie would of had an actual name, remember that.

>would of had

There is no continent called America. America lies in North America.

>The Americas, also collectively called America,[4][5][6] encompass the totality of the continents of North America and South America

You herd me. Yankees are mostly krauts too aint theys?

merriam-webster.com/dictionary/America

I like how they marked the third option red.

ameriKKKa

what about German speakers who don't live in Germany? you are being exclusionary towards them by calling your country "Germany".

What about people in Germany who don't speak German or have German ancestry? are you going to be more inclusive towards them when you make a new country name?

It was called Germany on purpose to avoid any idea that there could be other German countries. Every other German state before was just called German ___, like German Reich or German Democratic Republic.

Well, it's pretty simple.
The Spanish part of the States was just called "Spanish America" or "Mexican Spanish America", and there's already a "Spain" and a "United States of Mexico".

The eastern part was called the "13 colonies" or each by their own name, and "Britain's possessions in the New World" wouldn't sounds right nowadays.

The middle part was called New France, but most of what's in the United States was called Louisiana. Because it also makes up a big part of the States, it makes sense to call all of the States "Louisiana" or Louisiane or something close. It means "Famed in war".

Why not call them Colombia? Because they were discovered by Columbus.

Because of Vespucci.
You could call it after Bjarni Herjólfsson, the Viking merchant who found America, or after Leif Erikson who made the first Viking settlement too.
Or you could call it "Vinland" like them too. It means the land of wine, but they're not famous for their win, so it sounds weird.

Burgaria.

But it does it's Estados Unidos de Mexico del Norte

*their wine
And Vinland's settlement is technically in Canada, they wouldn't want to get their name from Canada.
Canada means "village" in a native american language from the St. Lawrence valley.
Burgaria (Burger, Burg) means town or city. It's very fitting. I think that's the best choice. The smaller "village state" close to the big "Burg state".

We could always call it Frankreich. It means "kingdom of the free."

Realm, not Kingdom. As in Area or Domain.
Why not Freedomia ? Domain of the Free.

Shut up, Texas. Don't you have a border to watch?

shartland 1776

>be american
>use my god given right of voting to change the name of the country to shartmart, sponsored by mcdonalds
>yellowstone erupts, killing everyone instantly
>walk outside, eat a big mac, shart
>get shot
>shart pants again
>die
>shart

>confederate states of AMERICA

Literally kill yourself, you fucking albertan dixieboo faggot.

>Germany is not called the "United States of Europe"
Merkel sheds a single tear at this.

Why is everyone so rude towards us on this board?

>big mac
>not chic fil a
>not popeyes

2bh if only europoors could have chic fil a or popeyes.

Trumpistan

America is a country not a continent

You'll be soon called "United States of [continent"

fuck off, at least we're not the "United Kingdom." literally the most generic name, at least we tried

Hi there!
You seem to have made a bit of a mistake in your post. Luckily, the users of Sup Forums are always willing to help you clear this problem right up! You appear to have used a plural when posting, but your comment is in reference to a singular noun. Whoops! You should always remember to check your grammar before you post!

Now, there's no need to thank me - I'm just doing my bait to help you get used to Anglophone image-board culture!

>Why doesn't this country have its own name?
you could say that about a lot of countries.
Uruguay and Austria come to mind.

shall we call you South Canada, then?

Lucky you

Burgerland.

That flag only has 49 stars and the bar colors are inverted

t. slightly butthurt

When some latin american remarks this you never use arguments and tells us to go back and shit. Now you're being fucking nice with a german. Fuck you hypocritical assholes.

I'd be offended by that. Burgers were a German invention. Hot dogs as well.
If you want to call them by a typical murrican food, you should go for.... wait... there's none... Murricans don't have culture. What a shame.
Let's call them non-metrics.

Ok how about New Burgerland then?

amerifats BTFO :^(

reminds me of NES color

>names proposed after American Revolutionary War
>Freedonia, Appalachia, Alleghany
>Freedonia
>americans unironically wanted to name their country freedonia

Can you imagine what the banter would be?
>Burgerclap shows up
>A FUCKING FREEDONIAN

What is a name? Most names come from old words that mean simplistic things.

>texas

found it, the usa should be called texas

Uhh actually the South is more German
"Yankee" america is mostly English/French/Italian/Irish

United States of America
Acirema fo Setats Detinu

>be a greenlander searching for new settlements
>reach North America without even having the notion of ''continent''
>create a prosperous settlement
>get beaten and defeated by Algonquins and Iroquoises
>return to Greenland and Iceland without telling anyone about your discoveries

Muh nordicz virzt in Amerika

>calling ''genocidal'' a ligurian merchant and explorer who was looking for new trade routes
>on the other hands glorify tainos caribes nahuas and other bloody and cannibalistic societies

Only the hispanics or white liberals