wat do?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/QY6D-QBWD5k
youtube.com/watch?v=K-XIm_r6EQs
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Write a screenplay
Direct it
Rinse repeat

If you have any talent maybe someday someone will pay you for it.

Write and/or direct

Write and direct

go to films

Make a "deep" capeshit movie and get praised by Sup Forums

It's too late man wait for your next life

Buy a cheapass DSLR
Write some shitty short
Shoot said shitty short with said cheapass equipment

Repeat

this

write until you see words and scripts in your sleep

do a short film every few months, get anyone and everyone you can and lead them to the final cut

know that you can do this for years and still never get anywhere, so you'll either be working a shit dead-end job while you follow your passion, or you're a trust-fund baby and will suck dick because you've never had relate-able adversity in your life

at the end of the day, you probably shouldn't do it if you have to ask

write/direct

You have to write a low scale screenplay first or know someone who is writing a good screenplay. Then direct that. Or find indie bands and dirdct their music videos.

>Watch every movie on Sight and sound
>Idolise Kubrick, PTA, lynch, fellini, bergman, dryer ect
>Actually believe you have a natural talent for movie making and writing
>Write a tarantino-est script
>Get no where
>Get a job to support yourself
>Keep telling youself this how all the greats started out
>Still get no where
>Learn you are not special
>Get depressed
>Kill yourself

something along those lines op

I actually think it's impossible if you're not jewish or if you don't have connections in pedowood.

>Write a tarantino-esque script
Stopped reading right there.
Even without ever directing a film I am leagues above the feet master, king of farts.

Pretty much, connections are extremely important otherwise anyone with a meme film degree would be directing films left and right.

You're either OUTSTANDING in your art, where nobody could turn you away, or you're connected... there's really not a lot of room in-between.

suck jewish penis

Write and direct.
Deconstruct movies, read screenplays and watch behind the scenes. Acting classes are also an option and it'll give you and idea of what it's like to be in front of the cameras instead of behind.

write something then find actors and go direct it

1) Watch movies
2) Study something useful, philosophy, religion, history, etc
3) Watch movies
4) Get some life experience doing all kinds of jobs to support yourself
5) Once you have gathered enough money, go to a film school
6) Meet people
7) Work at anything you can that is somehow related to movies
8) Repeat step 6 and 7 until you feel talented enough to work on your own indie film that has a high chance of winning at Sundance
9) Make your own feature film

>you probably shouldn't do it if you have to ask
this is a false statement

Implying film school is needed

The only good things about film school are the equipment and people you meet, rest is bullshit, you could legit do film school by yourself through your own research, i dont need to spend thousadns of dollars to get a professor to tell me why Citizen Kane was so good

Film is 40% music, so find an incredibly talented INSPIRING composer to work with... (srs, this is your guys golden ticket to stardom, don't ignore tihs tip)

>asking Sup Forums for anything useful

you are already destined for eternal failure

film school is generally seen as a bad investment

Also find a bestie actor who will make it with you

I'm a successful director and I've been on Sup Forums for years.

What have you directed?

the thin red line

knight of cups

Don't even need a cheapass DSLR for your first film.

You can use your phone.

it is tho

you should be writing and crafting those amazing scripts

your questions should never be "how do I become" but "WHERE do I find good actors for this awesome script I have" ect.

give up on your dreams

We didn't need your life story, mate.

I'm sorry things didn't work out though. How old were you when you threw in the towel?

Cinema is the fusion of picture and sound. Learn cinematography, editing and sound design and cultivate a cinematic worldview. For the writing process go read books and cultivate a philosophical worldview. Get a camera and people, let the people behave over an extended period of time with the script narrative they've been given and capture it.

im only 18, this is just how my life will pan out

Look at sad/interesting pictures and create the story that lead people to that point.

Nah. It's just extremely harder. It's definitely an industry where connections are paramount but if you can get enough attention from making quality films that find progressively larger audiences there will be some Shelstein who is willing to try and make money from you by getting more of your films made or purchasing the rights to your existing work.

>sad/interesting

idk mate i asked someone how to make music 3 years ago and he told me to download fl studio and i've been working on it since then.

i don't see the point in telling someone to give up before they've even started.

>tfw my first script (short) got critical acclaim 3 months ago
>tfw now too scared to write/publish another

All greats start out by writing 1 (ONE) single script then giving up?

Badlands

aha I think you are taking it too literal m8

The most practical tip I can give you is figure out your financial situation & backup plan.

Assuming you're COMMITTED to pursuing this creative career (anything creative is highly sought over, make sure you're ready to compete) you need to understand that there's no chance of success and if you end up 30-40yo with no success to your name or meaningful career gains, what's your out plan?

A LOT of people are trying to do this, many of whom are working 7-8 hours a day on their craft... you better start cracking and believe you have a unique vision to stand out from a crowd of would-be filmmakers.

We're talking about film directors not people that make 3 hour European perfume video advertisements.

>there's no chance of success
I mean no GUARANTEE of success, regardless of how much you put into it.

Accept that it's gonna be bad and fulfill the prophecy.

Days of Heaven

>end up 30-40yo
nobody should ever struggle for that long

i'd suggest 2 years tops, and if you haven't demonstrated a fluid talent by that time, that would warrant continuing, it's best to give up and go to law school or something

But school taught me to never give up on my dreams.

>critical acclaim 3 months ago

From who?

There's a chart that details filmmakers who made their first feature at the age of 40 and older. Lot of brilliant names there. They were all active before that point but none successful and many would have been struggling. Success doesn't come quickly for careers like that. What everyone who gets into it should realize. I do believe everyone who does pursue a creative career should have a more practical and secure back up career though.

yeah I dunno bros, only the individual can know how long and how far they're willing to go

you only live once, do what the fuck you want, just try your best not to end up on skid row

This user knows what's up. I graduated on April and still haven't found a job

The absolutely easiest way to do that is to make a short horror movie by yourself.
Send it to various film festivals and hopefully get noticed.
Once you do use that to make a feature-length horror movie.

Horror movie fans have no taste and lap everything up and horror movies in general are easy to make and you can always infuse them with your style and basically showcase your talent so that you get noticed.

Once you do that you can do serious movies.

Do the work, learn the craft.

In 2012 I entered the film industry, and BS'd my way onto a film as a 1st AD. I have no idea what I was doing but it was like a 50k budget feature. The following year I wrote, directed and produced 5 short films. I fucking hustled and busted my ass.

In the meantime I wrote 3 different feature screenplays.
(I learned screenwriting from reading hundreds of screenplays)

In 2014 I was offered an opportunity to write and produce a feature film for money. After creating something that got some press, etc.

That feature film is coming out this month in a limited release in theaters across the US, with name talent.

I'm currently working towards directing my first feature film.

I always thought it was impossible, but it's not. Trust me.

Be prepared to work harder than you've ever worked. Give up all free time to reading feature scripts, understanding why movies are good and are not good. Start PA'ing on film sets, do unpaid work, but move into paid quickly like commercials.

Learn how to produce.

The fastest way to get to what you want is by doing it.

Also - what city are you in?

Start working on something that you want to see and that absolutely nobody else could make. Find your voice. Making Hollywood shit and shit that you think other people will like is a waste of time, even if you find success. Change the game.

>Also - what city are you in?
not OP but I'm interested senpai, I'm currently in Oregon close to Portland...

what did you do all this?

>(I learned screenwriting from reading hundreds of screenplays)

>I read hundreds of books am I bookwriter yet?

> I watched thousands of movies am I director yet?

post your script or gtfo

What would you like to know?

I have nothing to prove.
Take it or leave it.

Do you have to live in a big city to make it?

What's even your point?
Yes if you draw, read or watch mindlessly you won't gain anything, but learn to use your head a little, observe and analyze and you can definitely learn a shit ton about directing from watching films and definitely how to write screenplays.

Since you seem to know what you're talking about, what would I have to do to get a no budget character piece made? Like a Korine style film. And should I even make it? I really want to make films but not Hollywood films. Idk if that's really even feasible nowadays

Broi. You aren't gonna be a good writer, director, screenwriter, whatever the fuck unless you know a shit ton about the medium. It doesn't mean you are instantly a good director just because you've seen a shit ton of movies, but it definitely fucking helps ya tard

Graduated with a degree in what?

Also what relationships and connections did you establish during your time there?

feels when you are in Australia stuck with hot as fuck whether and actors with shit accents

Question. Due to the technological age we live in, how would audiovisual mediums such as youtube fit into the modern aspiring filmmaker's handbook? Most on the "filmmakers" on youtube make boring, uninspired, shittycgifilled, numale shorts. How do you think actual kino would work on youtube?

I hate this "creator" genre of filmmaking these day. It is so lazy and generic, and the worst part is millions of people watch it, fuelling their ego into thinking they are making meaningful work

Avantgarde. There's a guy who posts in the fmg threads on here who makes great shit, I wish he'd show up again.

>TFW I want to be a writer/director/actor, but have no friends with similar interests and can't find a job
And every movie idea I come up with is too ambitious for me to make by myself, but if it's not ambitious enough it won't get noticed.

You know his channel?

Are you ashkenazi

do you know jews in hollywood

any relatives in hollywood

do you have distinct jewish mannerisms

if not, then you have to fuck off.

Took me forever to find it in the archives youtu.be/QY6D-QBWD5k

Sorry for the belated reply.
I would try to be in either Portland, Vancouver, Seattle, New York, or LA honestly.

I totally know what you mean.

Honestly I haven't 'made it' yet. I'm just in an okay position to get a film funded now at this point in my career.

I would say go for it, try and film it for nothing. But honestly put money in SOUND, GLASS, CAMERA, etc.

make what you want. Festivals are a crapshoot for so many reasons.

Do you have a script?

i'm in west linn

i need to find the portland film industry. i haven't been looking hard enough

Hey man, look at the Aussies who have made it out.

Feel free to ask me anything guys I have a little bit of time.

People always seem to want to know the easy route to all of this. The fastest and easiest way is creating stuff, constantly. Evolve your craft.

Research the fastest way to get to where you want to be! Not where you think you should be before you want to be, super rookie move for film people.

I know people who have wanted to do what I've done for the past 20 years but have been stuck being in production on commercials the whole time.

Success really comes from decisiveness, work, luck and connections. Which also factors with having a personality that can handle it.

Honestly I think some people are simply NOT cut out to be a writer, director or producer because of lack of resolve and fortitude.

what's my best resource as far as learning the ins and outs of producing? I've got at least some experience with writing, directing, editing, and being DoP, but producing is something I've mostly neglected and I feel like I'm missing some important skills and/or knowledge

Start here and make posts asking for help or you are looking to learn something. Be humble and don't be entitled.
Facebook - /groups/portlandfilmcommunity/
Facebook - /groups/pdxfilm/

Facebook - /groups/114973949012/

Get some cash and some homies together to do the Portland 48 hour sometime.

Can confirm, did this.

youtube.com/watch?v=K-XIm_r6EQs

Working on a Hotline Miami short trailer right now, storyboarding some rough ideas at the moment. Obviously I'm gonna try and put a little more effort into it this time, have my actors be familiar with the source material, work on my knowledge of lighting, and try and altogether make it look really fucking professional, or as professional as I can on a budget of jack shit.

shit dude, thanks a ton

commit suicide and hope you draw better with reincarnation

tough one.
I learned from experience.

Producing at first is knowing how to create to your stuff. understanding the logistics that goes into everything. understanding each and every department function.

working in multiple departments.

understanding SAG shit.

Honestly you need to try and research and learn as much as possible about how each type of production is ran.

How much was the budget?
Why was it that much?
Look at commercial budget breakdowns, movie, etc.

Look at as much documents you can get ahold of from AD department, and production. (PM & Coordinator for sure)

Learn to live on 2 or 3 hours a sleep a night for days or weeks on end. If your lucky.

what was this shot on? Doesn't look like a DSLR

thanks mate

I actually almost did a trailer for their second game but they didn't go for my bid!

Is this just your own thing?

Canon 70D, and I didn't know how to fuck with F-stop, ISO, shit like that at the time to make it look better. I just sorta rolled with it.

Good couple nights of filming, fun stuff.

oh damn, maybe I have more knowledge about producing than I realized. Thanks for the guidance though. Appreciate your feedback

post in this one first -----> /groups/pdxfilm/

Do it asap.

Ahhh shit. That's a shame, 70D is a nice piece of equipment

Yeah, something to satisfy my Refn-Neon boner.

The short's mine too, I directed and did cinematography. I couldn't get the actors to do ADR (tried, nearly started crying trying to get it to work) so we scrapped it.

Yeah that's the funny thing.

Producing is just such a weird title, you just do shit to make sure the production happens and continues to exist. It really can be so many things depending on how many producers there are on something.

I'd appreciate any tips you could give, make shit look better

film on a DSLR minimum.
Rent nice glass, like the nicest glass you can afford.
Light well, but use mostly natural lighting.
production design well.
good costumes that pop or fit the tone.

GREAT talent, cannot stress that enough.

Don't settle.

Also don't listen to nay sayers or negative people. They are just jealous of you.

What got people's attention of my own work is the quality I brought in production but in story as well.

I feel like most shorts or films in general suffer from just plain laziness and excuses to not better themselves.

i mean, learn the basics. Anything looks infinitely better when your ISO, f-stop, etc. are set correctly. Honestly, even just reading books about still photography helped my cinematography immensely. Also, lighting is always more important than most amateurs realize

>Rent nice glass, like the nicest glass you can afford.
Explain further.

Also, thanks for all that. I feel like I need to listen to people that don't think it's good, just for input. I heard once there are two audiences for any film: Those who will judge it based on how it is, and those who judge based on how they want it to be.

I'm gonna try and grab a couple books tomorrow, thanks.

totally. take good critical feedback.
I meant don't be discouraged to follow your dreams.

Glass - Lenses. I remember renting some really nice ones for a 5D on my first short for a few days for like $150 total.