Im going to be getting my carry permit with my work bonuses, and im leaning towards getting a 1911...

im going to be getting my carry permit with my work bonuses, and im leaning towards getting a 1911, any other suggestions?

Desert Eagle

Fucking yourself in the ass with the barrel while it's loaded and the safety off.

Word of advice, full metal guns will rust if you carry them and it's hot outside, get a striker fired polymer/stainless gun.

that would be awesome, its just out of my price range and is just too large to practically carry. because if i go desert eagle id get the .50

/k/ will be better at giving you options, stick with compact polymers.

even with open carry?

I don't recommend getting a 1911, but if you have the money to buy a good one, money to buy tons of ammo to practice with (9mm is cheaper by a lot), wear relatively baggy clothes (to conceal such a large gun)... then go for it. Just train. Take courses. The more knowledgeable opinions and time firing the gun (correctly), the better. Check out the Glock 36, XDS, and MP45c.

Also, consider single stack CCW 9mms. Easier to conceal, cheaper to train with. MP Shield, XDS, Glock 43, Ruger LC9, SIG P938... so on.

Sig P220. Same or greater capacity (8+1), more accurate, more reliable, easier to operate and maintain.

They can be had for $500-650 as "certified pre-owned," which are law enforcement trade ins that the factory inspects, overhauls, and warranties for 1 year. Look for the red hospital style bracelet on the grip. One of the best deals in the gun market.

A 1911 is too big of a gun for concealed carry.

dont carry a 1911 you retard

i want more stopping power than a 9mm, so im leaning towards .45. in my state i can open carry so concealment is not a major issue.

i can get a new 1911 in the same price range with same capacity

in wisconsin you dont have to conceal it

Also, this is the best way to acquire West German made 220s. I have over 3000 rounds through mine, including a variety of hollow points and a whole case of Wolf, without 1 malfunction of any kind ever.

>
>i want more stopping power than a 9mm, so im leaning towards .45. in my state i can open carry so concealment is not a major issue.

You're a fucking retard. Old wives tale that a 45acp has more stopping power than a 9.

i just picked up a M&P Shield .40 for under 500 bucks yesterday, its a great gun to conceal no matter what you body type. 7+1 of hollow points and you can't go wrong

I conceal carry a Glock 27 (.40 s&w) during the winter and a Glock 43 (9mm) during the spring/summer/fall. The 27 is too bulky for summer clothes in Florida, hence the much slimmer 43 during the hot months.

I have shot thousands of rounds through both without a single gun-caused malfunction. 1911s are finicky with ammunition and even high quality ones will occasionally choke on anything but brass ball ammo (i own a 1911 and enjoy shooting it but wouldn't trust my life with it)

It'd be a lower quality gun. 1911s are a meme. They're good guns, but they're surpassed by many, many modern designs. Like user said above, polymer single stack 9s are superior carry guns.

can't help you without stating the purpose of the weapon.

you mentioned carry, but I'm not gonna assume.

OP, I'm 29, got my CPL when I was 21. I started out with a bersa (horrible) next was a PT92 Taurus stainless 9mm (great gun, but sold) and now I have a Glock 19 Gen 4 9mm, and I will keep this forever.

I concealed carry a 1911 and its a big gun to walk around with. I'm okay with walking around with 3 pounds of steal in my belt but most people find it uncomfortable.

with that thinking your first gun should be a .22 you fucking retard

Stopping power is a myth, as far as how people use it. You have a pistol. None of them have stopping power until 357mag. You have to be able to hit a moving target, multiple times, enough to incapacitate them.

Modern hollowpoint technology from Speer Golddots, Federal HST, Winchester Ranger XT... they all expand to .7inch. And you have more of them when compared to similar sized .45acp guns.

The truth is, handgun rounds aren't meant to have "stopping power". Get a rifle or shotgun for "stopping power".

Having the option to conceal is important. You're call on open carry, be sure to buy a Safariland, Blackhawk, or Bladetech holster that's level III-ish to have that extra protection from gun grabs.

my purpose is for home and self defense.

This will likely elicit some howls:

Let me suggest a Kel Tec P-11

9 mm, polymer frame, 10 + 1 capacity, very reliable. Will kill any nigger assailant.

Won't break the bank.

Get a dedicated carry handgun for carry and a full size handgun for home defense. Or buy a shotgun or even a carbine for home defense depending on where you live.

For a 1911, go Auto Ordnance.

For another gun, go Steyr.

Solid suggestion. Same with Versa Thunder .380s; not flashy, not expensive, just simple guns that do the job.

>Versa
Bersa?

i live in a small apartment, so a handgun would be better, a long gun would be impractical i feel. i can see most of my apartment from my bedroom

You're showing your complete absense of experience with firearms here. .45ACP is a massive round and completely overkill for carrying. Carrying 9mm will give you more ammo, which you will do you more good in a real life scenario. You're not Rick Grimes, this isn't the walking dead, you will NOT be getting headshots 90% of the time. If you want a large caliber go ahead and get one to keep at home and shoot at the range. No reason not to have multiple guns. But for CARRYING, get a 9mm. You'll thank us later.

This guy nailed it perfectly

This is entering pocket-pistol territory. I have no problem with it, and have one myself for when I'm wearing gym shorts and my larger guns would pull my pants down.

However, the downside to these pocketguns is training with them. They are meant for shots taken from less than 10 feet. And they HURT your hand to shoot them. Adrenaline pumping, no problem. Practicing at the range... it won't be fun to shoot.

That's why the CCW polymer gun industry has skyrocketed in the last 10 years. Something you can get a full grip on that can be easily concealed.

If this is your first handgun, don't go on looks alone, 1911s are not the most beginner friendly handgun, unless you've shot them before. Most people either start with a revolver or a striker fired pistol like a glock or S&W sd9. 1911's need a lot of tender loving care when you field strip them and you better make damn sure your spring and firing pin are in tip top shape before you dry fire it.

i was leaning towards remington

No. Remington sucks

the head is too small a target, center of mass is where to aim.

A full sized 1911 is a terrible CCW choice. Your first gun should be a Glock 19. Highly reliable, high capacity, compact enough for CCW.

Springfield Armory, SIG Sauer, Colt, Kimber, Para Ordnance... Those are you options if you're life is on the line.

ive fired revolvers, a bunch of different 9's, .40s and a 1911. the 1911 felt the best in my hands and it was my most accurate results

In that case you are probably correct in your assessment. A full-sized handgun like a Glock 17 or 19, both of which can accept extended magazines, would be excellent choices. Or... A pistol-caliber carbine. :)

You guys like your fucking guns.

1911s are fun range guns but not good for cc

springfield and colt are others im considering

Springfield, no
Sig, maybe
Kimber, god no
Para, no experience

Auto Ordnance is best

FBI just released their "study" showing there isn't much difference between .9mm, .40 S&W, and .45. and actually 127 grain .9mm penetrated the furthest with an almost equal cavity created in ballistic gel as a .45 JHP.

i probably wont conceal tho

Damn right. Also nice dub dubs

Comfort and accuracy are important... but so is quality, cost, and concealability

If you like the 1911, you like a high bore axis. Consider the Springfield XDS, XD/m 9 subcompact, and SIG 220 (used), SIG 938, and used HKs.

>Not suggesting THE gun

nice, then go for it, just know you have to treat them with more care than other guns.

Mateba Autorevolver in .454 Casull.

Kek

1911 is four king huge for CC and I think the safety system is nearly suicidal. Go with a compact 9mm or a 4" .357

This. It's probably one of my favorite things about it. Breaking it down every 100 rounds, scrubbing it out, it has never misfires or jammed and I've had it for years. May need to replace the ejector at some point though

Yeah, autocorrect.

>Kimber
They've had some bad times. I'd be careful with them. Not bad, but nowhere near worth the premium price. I'd buy a Rock Island before a Kimber, just because the bang for the buck would be there.

I have a Bersa Firestorm .380 auto. Nearly identical to the Thunder. Very similar to the Walther PPK. I'm happy with its. Ammo is a little pricey.

they do make compact 1911's for easier concealment

here's my experience after 12 years of concealed carry. you're going to need at least two handguns. the 1911 is fine for winter, when you can hide it under a coat. but keep in mind it's only an 8 round gun and it's S/A, so you will either have to carry it cocked n locked or rack the slide in an emergency. in the summer, you will need something smaller and lighter that you can hide under a shirt or in a pocket. that's something like a snub nose revolver. i carry a .357 for belt under a shirt or a light .38 if i'm carrying in my pocket (with a pocket holster always). i own a lot of handguns, but that's how i do it

Springfield makes a good 1911 at a good price point

SIG is running away with the non-classic 1911 industry

Kimber is expensive... and not what it use to be. But is by no means to be discounted.

Para is a great budget 1911.

This for when you in da club and bae is eyein that nigga cross da room

FBI created .40 Short & Weak because their lady cops couldn't handle the glory of the 10mm.

124 grain* I'm tired as hell

>Springfield makes a good 1911

Yes, but they don't meet the cost and quality standards.

Sub $600 and not a shitty Filipino knock off

in my state i can open carry, im a fan of knowing who has a gun rather than guess.

Proof that 1 round of 9mm can be all you need.

Police have reported that 1911s, when stolen and used to commit crimes, are often too complex for your average Hi-Point user to comprehend.

>compact 1911's

anything shorter than commander length and you risk fail to feed, the 1911 was not designed to function in a 3" barrel setup. for a carry gun, first consideration is always reliability

>has frame mounted slide lock
>also has grip safety so you have to have your hand around the grip
>has one click colt safety
You are literally fucking retarded

Only political statement making idiots open carry. It makes people nervous (and rightly so) to open carry, but most importantly you give concealed carriers a bad rap by association with your stupid ass. Unless you live on a ranch in the middle of fucking Wyoming, conceal your shit.

Same with armed robbers.

Fixed barrel .380s are stupidly accurate, and PPK clones point like a dream. I spent some time with a Sig P232; it was like going from shooting a .30-30 with irons to shooting an AR with a nice optic. That big of a difference.

>im a fan of knowing who has a gun rather than guess

the people you need to be worried about aren't the ones that are going to open carry or have CCW permits.

1911s are great, I love them, I even carry a 1911 in the fall and winter but...they're not great guns for your first/only carry piece. 1911s have two major problems in my eyes: they're heavy and they're long. I'm 6'1" and used to be a rugby forward and its hard for me to find the right combination of holster/belt/clothing to properly conceal a 1911.

You're also going to need to consider costs. A 1911 is going to cost a lot more to shoot and you're going to want to spend a lot of time practicing if you're just starting to carry. You're going to spend more time cleaning it. A good 1911 is going to cost a lot more than a striker fired workhorse.

Do you play poker with your cards facing your opponents too?

Bitch, please.

Why don't people fucking understand this?

>le point 9 mm

you can always polish the feed ramp

Glock 19.

>the safety system is nearly suicidal

you don't know what you are talking about. i'm an ME and i'll tell you, there is no physical way a 1911 can fire with the safeties engaged. it's just not possible. you are scared of seeing the hammer back, that's all

I think if done right, open carry is good.

When I have open carried, I've worn a long sleeve button up (nice), relaxed fit khakis (no holes, nothing trendy), and I carried in a Safariland SLS and ALS holster.

To be honest, most folks assumed I was a cop. No one stared except younger kids who just seemed interested in the gun. If you open carry, don't wear jeans and never wear a tshirt. You'll get negative attention.

im well aware but seeing people with guns is a great visual deterrent

Don't leave Dan Wesson out.

THat's not the issue. It's lack of slide mass.

>717024159
>you can always polish the feed ramp

doesn't matter, my point stands. it wasn't designed for that and it has problems with a 3" setup

>When you see what he's packing at the urinal, and realize it's time to call for a Skyhook

I want to send my Beretta in to Wilson Combat and have them make her even sexier.

It's legal to own an actual fucking tank in the US, why not just get one of those? No one will fuck with you then

makarov is bestarov
>Glory to Mother Russia

Is this your first handgun? Because an M1911 is one of the worst handguns for ccw.

Get a CZ75.

Dubs, respect.

A lot of this is demographic as well. Open carry is technically legal in my state (Washington) but only idiots open carry in any remotely populated areas.

Oh, of course not. But I'm talking under $1000. Or I'd mention Nighthawk and the like.

gotcha, I've never shot Government sized 1911s

Just get a Walther P99, best damn handgun on the current market

a tank dont fit next to my bed if a jigaboo is stealing my tv

He's probably referring to the fact that it's overly complicated. SA + a grip safety + a frame safety is just more shit going on than you really need to have. Another reason to prefer a Sig or Glock.

god damn I am tired, I've ONLY shot Government sized 1911s*

Open carry is the easiest way to be the first target. Conceal it.

To be fair, if you're carrying a 1911 and using a shitty holster theres a good chance you'll accidentally drop the safety eventually. Too many people, especially new carry people, don't put the same time and money into their belt and holster that they put into their carry piece.