ITT: yfw you realized this was the actual AOTY of 1967

ITT: yfw you realized this was the actual AOTY of 1967.

Get offa Sup Forums, Christgau.

banana album is better

Christgau is almost always full of shit, but this was one of the three times he ever got it right. The other two times were when he gave King Crimson - Red an A- and blew Limp Bizkit the fuck out.

He also destroyed Weezer.

>shitty production
>obnoxious commercials
>try-hard Revolver lite
No thanks

He's right though, the young proto-pop punk Who were better than the bloated 70s stadium rock Who.

>try hard

literally the opposite

good

>>shitty production
Sorry that a band in 1967 didn't have 2017-quality equipment.
>>obnoxious commercials
Sorry you hate fun.
>>try-hard Revolver lite
lmao

>try-hard Revolver lite
Embarrassingly wrong

>>try-hard Revolver lite
what
/thread

Did he?
Well, I love the old dying man now!

Weezer [DGC, 1994] :(

Maladroit [Geffen, 2002]

Down from 48 percent to 35 at amiannoying.com, not because they're less annoying but because they're less successful. Annoying they remain, and not, annoying webmaster, because they gigged as Goat Punishment or--who cares?--lost their bass player to the Rentals. They're annoying because Rivers Cuomo is the punk Tom Scholz--a solitary genius in love with big and precise. In Boston's arena-rock, this made sense even though it was annoying. In Weezer's arena-punk (slightly more arena on this outing, and less annoying as a result), it totally misses the point, which from the Ramones to the Libertines has been to achieve concision and economy while just barely remaining erect. Onstage, that is. How Cuomo has comported himself in other areas of endeavor I haven't a clue. B-

I may be alone here, but I think The Who were actually better when they were a youthful, swinging, thrashing mod band of the 60s, rather than a bloated, corny arena/dad-rock band of the 70s.

Call me crazy, but I find stuff like "Magic Bus" and "I Can See for Miles" to be more viscerally exciting than farty stuff like Baba o'riley and Won't Get Fooled Again.

>Terry Riley tribute
>Farty

>Won't Get Fooled Again
>Baba O'Riley
>farty

This "The Who is the GOAT 60s band" meme has gone way too far guys.

the who were my least favourite band of all the british invasion bands of the 60s

but it's true

BRITISH INVASION POWER RANKINGS

1. Beatles
2. Kinks
3. Zombies
4. Rolling Stones
5. Yardbirds

9001. The Literally Who

>the birdshit
>above anyone
Even The Animals were better

Animals had like 3 fucking songs don't be a retard. The Yardbirds' legacy is Jeff Beck Group, Cream, and Led Zeppelin, and by extension all hardrock/cockrock.

Shit taste

>The Yardbirds' legacy is Jeff Beck Group, Cream, and Led Zeppelin, and by extension all hardrock/cockrock.
May God have mercy on their souls then

Shitaste.
BRITISH INVASION POWER RANKINGS

1. The Rolling Stones
2. The Who
3. The Kinks
4. The Zombies
5. Yardbirds

Yeah, that's ok.

I agree cockrock is a pretty crappy genre but the Yardbird's are at least hugely influential in that genre.

>no Beatles
Trying way too hard my friend

If we're talking about those early years like 63' and 64':
1. Zombies
2. Beatles
3. Kinks
4. The Who
5. Rolling Stones
6. The Animals
7. The Yardbirds

How the fuck are the Zombies #1 for 63-64 when they had 1 single during that period? Their first album wasn't until 65.

I wanted to bitch more, but apparently Village Green Preservation Society was 1968, and I'm not a big fan of Something Else. Kinks are massively underrated.

Honestly, huge fan of The Who, but I always found their early work pretty corny. Maybe I should re-evaluate. Quadrophenia, Live at Leeds, and By Numbers are all fantastic though.

Who was the user who said he compiled a supercut of this GOAT album with all the deleted extras like Melancholia, Coke After Coke, The Hall of the Mountain King, etc. that appear on the deluxe editions?

Fuck all you assholes for not including the Hollies.

The Hollies fucking suck. Herman's Hermits/Dave Clark Five tier.

House of the rising son is literally top 4 songs of the 60s and 100 of the best rock/blues songs of all time literally beats out any bitchles album................................Pleb

y put the animals so low

>shitty production

Too bad it's a fucking cover. And it gets real old real quick. I remember being really into that song when I was 13 and a wrong generation faggot. Now I know better

Imagine being this pleb

I agree senpai, My Generation is easily my favorite The Who album

>when a quick one while he's away finally clicks

Anyone else think Pictures of Lily is their most underrated early song?

>A Quick One While He's Away repeats the word "cello"
>later, Fiddle About from Tommy repeats the word "fiddle," another stringed instrument
Pottery

OFFICIAL WHO ALBUM POWER RANKINGS:
>The Who Sell Out
>Quadrophenia
>Meaty Beaty Big and Bouncy
>Tommy
>Who's Next
>A Quick One
>My Generation
>Who Are You
>The Who By Numbers
I'd put By Numbers higher, but it's so fucking soulcrushingly depressing.
Anything without Moon is not the Who.

Their best record IMO DESU is Live at Leeds because it captures the unique energy the group brought to performing rock.

Anything after Tommy is not the Who, it's a bloated proto-Springsteen dad/arena rock band

Springsteen shits on The Who, show some respect. They never did an album as good as Born to Run

So now you're 14 and you think you're better plus Eric burdon went on to make fantastic funk in the 70 The animals are objectively a top 30 greatest bands of all time

>The animals are objectively a top 30 greatest bands of all time
What a laughable opinion. Here's your (you), but it's (your) last.

see

It's true though.
.............plëb

Yea probably exactly number 30 on the list.

>pleb
hehe but it was them who were the plebs
>*teleports out of this thread*

1. Herman's Hermits
2. Them
3. Yardbirds
4. Beatles
5. Kinks
6. Rolling Stones
7. Who
The Rest

Herman's Hermits fucking suck. The Hollies/Dave Clark Five tier.

I bet this isn't even your favorite record.

I bet you don't think listening to avril lavigne is patrician you disgusting plėbdīæn

Seriously though, I think several singles by Herman's Hermits had intriguing musical ideas and production, with a nice layer of twee irony. Songs like Mrs. Brown with it's stringy overproduced ukelele and sunshiny backing vocals can be seen as a predecessor for Sgt Peppers or early Pink Floyd singles.

They are probably not better than The Beatles, but they are nothing to sneeze at either.

Then why'd you list them ahead of the Beatles, you wanna fight bitch??

Just being provocative mostly. You should try it.

I would never tell a lie anonymously on a Sri Lankan basket weaving consortium.

When your actual taste matches the consensus of a few elite, ivory tower rock historians, exaggerating your personal preferences makes you less of a boring old fuck.

"36 CHAMBERS IS THE BEST AMERICAN COMPOSITION OF ALL TIME!"

I mean it is what it is. Most people say the Beatles are the best for a reason.

Seriously though the Beatles are probably not the best. They're great songwriters, but featherweights compositionally and emotionally. The Beach Boys were much more emotionally raw, plus Brian Wilson was just a much better composer and producer.

I concede that Pet Sounds is superior to the best Beatle album but you can't be serious when you say something like
> featherweights compositionally and emotionally
I mean, WHAT? I won't even respond to this one.
That being said, Brian Wilson's prime was short lived and the Beach Boys meaningful output in the 60s is simply too limited. The Beatles put out a classic record, every year (and sometimes twice), from 65-69. It's just an unapproachable "winning streak".

Emotionally they always felt a bit limited, their playing was too melodic without any soloing or really abrasive stuff like the Velvets, the Stones, the Doors, any of the hundreds of harder rock bands were doing. Their playing to me is just kinda predictable and tame, less real and emotional.

Back when they were a singles band, The Beach Boys were blowing away anything the Beatles put out. I Get Around, Good Vibrations, California Girls, Don't Worry Baby, miles ahead of the Beatles work at the time.

Their post Pet Sounds work is amazing too, Smiley Smile, Surfs Up, Wild Honey, The Smile Recreation, even that weird experimental EP Brian Wilson did at the end of Holland, incredibly top notch.

Honestly bro I don't know what to tell you other than listen to the Beatles discography because almost everything you're saying is wrong (I disagree with).

>It's just an unapproachable "winning streak".

They were still outclassed by Zappa in every way for every year during that streak.

I've listened to them, and my reaction to them really depends on my mood. If I want something deep or meaningful I can emote to, I am disappointed 99% of the time, if I want some supremely made show-tune style pop songs, often highly produced, I enjoy myself.

them is better than the literally who beatles, faggot

GLOOOOOOORIA

British invasion patrician opinions power rankings:

1. British invasion bands SUCK.

Pretty much, yeah. British Rock is pretty over-rated and they didn't invent even a quarter of the movements they claim to have invented.

The soul of rock music is distinctly American, and Black Americans pretty much won the 20th century.

There are still a handful of decent Brit Invasion bands though, but they were mostly rip offs of American rock groups. Britain didn't find it's own voice until the 70s.

>Beatles
>Emotionally limited
>Julia, In My Life, I'm So Tired, Yesterday, For No One, Long Long Long, Golden Slumbers, Real Love, Across the Universe

But nah I mostly agree with you, which is why Plastic Ono Band is so great

>won't get fooled again
>farty
>any negative connotation in general

They have a handful of romantically sad songs, just like any pop artist of the past 200 years. They're missing the fire, or the true highs and lows of their contemporaries.

>plastic ono band
>implying this album is rated for any other reason than John's premature death and edgy screams
Fuck off with your shilling of this mediocre at best album.All things must pass is miles ahead of everything Lelnnon ever did.

He screams on like 2 of the tracks my man. Also sure ATMP is a good album but it certainly wasn't groundbreaking or innovative material at the time, and it doesn't come close to John's work in the Beatles

t.swans fag

I think it just comes down to preference and what you value more. What you get out of the emotional and sonic rawness of TVU and others is what I get out of their lavish and melodic pop songs. I mean, TVU & The Doors wouldn't be able to create something like Strawberry Fields or Penny Lane in the same way The Beatles or The Beach Boys wouldn't be able to make something like Sister Ray. I do agree with you for the most part though like I said. I really wish Paul in particular had made more stuff in the vein of Helter Skelter, he was a songwriting genius imo but I feel like he never really cut loose or showed off his vulnerable side.

The only drawback of Sell Out is that it's starts off strong with a great concept that being a tribute to British Pirate Radio but the whole concept falls apart in the middle of side two after Relax and I find that it sort of hurts the album a little bit even though it's one of The Who's better album. Pic posted is not only a slightly better album in my opinion but my favorite Who album of all time.

That single is better than everything the beatles had done at that point.

>They were still outclassed by Zappa in every way for every year during that streak.
Christ such fucking terrible taste

Sure, and this is the AOTY of '87.

The fact that so many books still name the Beatles as "the greatest or most significant or most influential" rock band ever only tells you how far rock music still is from becoming a serious art. Jazz critics have long recognized that the greatest jazz musicians of all times are Duke Ellington and John Coltrane, who were not the most famous or richest or best sellers of their times, let alone of all times. Classical critics rank the highly controversial Beethoven over classical musicians who were highly popular in courts around Europe. Rock critics are still blinded by commercial success. The Beatles sold more than anyone else (not true, by the way), therefore they must have been the greatest. Jazz critics grow up listening to a lot of jazz music of the past, classical critics grow up listening to a lot of classical music of the past. Rock critics are often totally ignorant of the rock music of the past, they barely know the best sellers. No wonder they will think that the Beatles did anything worthy of being saved.

There is a kernel of truth in this I greatly agree with, but the Beatles weren't completely afraid to go raw. The Help! album, and particularly John Lennon's hystrionics on its title track display this more vital side to the Beatles.

Still as nice as it is that the Beatles are universally recognized to this day, it comes at the cost of making their peers look like they couldn't compete, when in fact they were outmatched in many aspects. I really dread teh day of Brian Wilson's death if for no other reason because I will realize to what horrible extent American mainstream culture is completely blind to any work the Beach Boys did after 1966 or even 1965..

I agree, with the exception of Quadrophenia

This is correct but only if you mean ODB's Return to the 36 Chambers.

Because they're fucking plebs.

Plens stand aside, objective ranking coming through

>Quadrophenia
>Tommy
>Sell Out
>Who's Next
>A Quick One
>Who Are You
>My Generation
>By Numbers

Limp Bizkit is great. Any critic who disagrees automatically delegitimizes any opinions about music they've ever had.

nigga what are you doing

Yeah, great at polluting the atmosphere with their godawful sound waves.

British Invasion rock is one of the most important and consequential movements in popular music you PLEB.

The title track is the only thing that makes that album great. Everything else is just the individual members trying to compete for Pete's approval with their own songwriting.

Wrong on all accounts.

I think it's pretty annoying, actually. To each their own

But Quadrophenia is like the epitome of bloated 70s-ness

Any reason why?

I agree for the most part but the Lifehouse sessions were one of their most creatively fertile periods. Even the outtakes were great.

>tfw the full Who band versions of Mary and Greyhound Girl will never be released, since the tapes crumbled

Townshend's demos are still pretty great on their own, though.

>he doesn't like Boris the Spider

>The Help! album, and particularly John Lennon's hystrionics on its title track display this more vital side to the Beatles.

I can appreciate it somewhat, but if you listen to the rock n roll artists from a decade before like Little Richard, Chuck Berry, Screamin Jay, and more, as well as the soul and rnb performers of the time, it pales in comparison.

>I will realize to what horrible extent American mainstream culture is completely blind to any work the Beach Boys did after 1966 or even 1965..

"The Beach Boys? You mean the guys that did Wipe Out? That is for gay 60s teenagers."

And it is mostly a rehash of American Rock n Roll and Garage Rock.