Lodger, Never let Me Down or Next Day

I noticed all three of these albums were Bowie focusing on songwriting and self-reflection. Which is the best of the three? I'd vote for Next Day.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=YkFK8LJ98D4
youtube.com/watch?v=CH8Wc_kX6bY
rateyourmusic.com/collection/Prismadoll/r4.5
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

does anyone have a link for the next day??

Probably The Next Day. There's tons of underrated songs in there, most from the second half of the album, which is often overlooked.

...Do you honestly expect ANYONE to pick Never Let Me Down?

At all??

But anyway: I vote for Lodger. I love the travel concept and the World Music theme.

give me a sec I'm uploading it now. It's at 15%

>btw it's NLMD>Lodger=TND

The Next Day Extra
So many good fucking tracks
NLMD gets shat on way too much though I'll admit
Anyone else had made it they'd be talking about it's redeeming points

Lodger is the best. Really great album that people unfairly dismiss just because of Low and Heroes. Next Day is great too for a newer album though.

Lodger but only on vinyl or the West German RCA CD, every other release belongs in the trash with NLMD youtube.com/watch?v=YkFK8LJ98D4

What are the differences?

>mfw I found out in the chord progression under the lyrics "Die - die - die - die" in the song You Feel So Lonely You Could Die spells out D/E/A/D

The Next Day is GOAT

>chord progression D/E/A/D on The Next Day
>died the next day after releasing Blackstar
did he know all along?

NLMD is pretty good desu
better than Tonight, Tin Machine 1+2, Reality, Heathen, Pin Ups, S/T, Space Oddity

WHAT THE FUCK

>Better than Reality, Heathen, and Space Oddity

Ok that's flat out contrarianism and you damn well know it. Heathen's considered one of the best albums of his late career and Space Oddity was a hell of a better debut than his debut was. (them orchestras)

holy shit thanks man!!

wew

>Heathen's considered one of the best albums of his late career
I found it boring desu.
Typical aging musician album where there is no life in the work anymore.
NLMD was fun in it's own campy way.
and Space oddity was hit and miss.

Badly mastered from inferior tapes, as with all of the reissues youtube.com/watch?v=CH8Wc_kX6bY

what part of space oddity had orchestras?

>and Space oddity was hit and miss
To be fair I could see that.

It sucks that you just dismiss Heathen like that, man. Some of Bowie's best vocal work and production.

Space Oddity, Cygnee Comittee, Wild Eyed Boy From Freecloud, and Memory of a Free Festival. The best tracks.

(Though to be fair 'orchestras' may be pushing it with the last one).

I think Space Oddity just had a Mellotron

I'm fairly sure there was a string section on there. (I could be wrong)

Either the album is very lushed/layered musically and that's why I enjoy it so much.

>Paul Buckmaster – string arrangement
>Tony Visconti – flutes, woodwinds
>Rick Wakeman – Mellotron

You're right

not enough people for it to be considered an orchestra

Me

...:I should have known....

It's steadily crept up to a 9.5/10 for me

.....please tell me you're joking.

rateyourmusic.com/collection/Prismadoll/r4.5

Title track actually made me cry. I disliked it once too, bud. Original gave it a 2/10 when I first heard it. It's steadily kept getting better and more whimsical for me the more I've listened to it. It's just polarizingly different from what he's always done; going full on maximalist with everything on the album, as well as the stage show. It truly fascinates me

And by god, black Tie is still rated so low....

Why must you betray me?

N I G G A...

Do you know if this applies on the '91 Rykodisc remasters? The one with the bonus tracks.

Well, the Ryko issues sound better than any of the later remasters. However, I REALLY recommend snagging those RCA CDs whenever you can find them for a decent price. They sound better than any of the remasters, and you'll be cool enough to say you own an RCA copy of Hunky Dory or whatever you find. Older CDs of music from that era tend to sound better than newer remasters. I did a reference for you

The Rykos sound terrible in their own special way, there's no bass on any of them and everything just sounds thin and weedy and totally unlike the vinyls

Yes, the RCA German Hunky Dory is really the one to get, although the RCA vinyl pressing in that YT is even better

You can snag most of the RCA's on RuTracker except I think a few of the alt. pressings, these are the ones to look for on the private trackers:

1969 - Space Oddity RCA PD84813
1970 - The Man Who Sold The World RCA PD84654
1971 - Hunky Dory RCA PD84623
1972 - Ziggy Stardust RCA AYL1-3843 (Vinyl)
1973 - Aladdin Sane RCA PD83890
1973 - Pin Ups RCA PD84653
1974 - Diamond Dogs RCA PCD1-0576
1975 - Young Americans RCA PCD1-0998
1976 - ChangesOneBowie RCA PCD1-1732
1976 - Station to Station RCA PCD1-1327
1977 - Low RCA PCD1-2030
1977 - ''Heroes'' SACD Reel-to-Reel
1979 - Lodger RCA PD84234
1980 - Scary Monsters RCA PCD1-3647

>there's no bass on any of them and everything just sounds thin and weedy
wasn't that just Ziggy Stardust?