Itt: bands with only one good album

itt: bands with only one good album

But what an album it is

Candy-O is good too

fuck you!

the beach boys

I can barely say that this is even a good album but I jammed to it alot 2 years ago

Wrong. Cando-O is great, and while their later albums had a ton of filler, the hits were solid. Drive is one of the best pop songs of the 80's.

I was about to post a response to OP in this thread, and then I remembered that this was Sup Forums.
>insert most popular recent meme here

This. I'd add shake it up to Candy O tier. I'd even say the hits were better than the songs on the debut.

The Cars [Elektra, 1978]

Ric Ocasek writes catchy, hardheaded-to-coldhearted songs eased by wryly rhapsodic touches, the playing is tight and tough, and it all sounds wonderful on the radio. But though on a cut-by-cut basis Roy Thomas Baker's production adds as much as it distracts, here's hoping the records get rawer. That accentuated detachment may feel like a Roxy Music move in the first flush of studio infatuation, but schlock it up a little and this band really could turn into an American Queen. B+

Candy-O [Elektra, 1979]

Hooks are mechanical by nature, but the affectlessness of these deserves special mention; only listeners who consider "alienation is the craze" a great insight will find much meaning here. On the other hand, only listeners who demand meaning in all things will find this useless. Cold and thin, shiny and hypnotic, it's what they do best--rock and roll that is definitely pop without a hint of cuteness. Which means that for them "alienation is the craze" may be a meaningful statement after all. B+

Panorama [Elektra, 1980]

The problem's not immersion in formula. The problem's not exhaustion of formula. The problem's boredom with formula. This is longer, slower, and denser as well as older, with lyrics that skirt social commentary and music that essays textural pretension. Its peaks are "Touch and Go" and "Up and Down." Savor the rhythm of those phrases, Ric, and grow no more. B-

Shake It Up [Elektra, 1981]

They've always cultivated a dark side--girls make boys want to end it all even after the boys have grown up. They've always basked in the shadow of Roxy Music, too. But they've never been so stylishly nightmarish--except for the title cut, even the fast ones don't aim for fun. Gary Numan--everywhere you turn these days, Gary Numan is sitting with the lights out, staring off into space. B

Heartbeat City [Elektra, 1984]

With hooks recurring as predictably as zebras on a carousel or heartbeats in a city, the glossy approach the Cars invented has made this the best year for pure pop in damn near twenty, and it's only fair that they should return so confidently to form. They still don't have much to say and they're still pretty arch about it, but that's no reason for anybody to get unduly bothered, and neither is Greg Hawkes's Fairlight. B+

Greatest Hits [Elektra, 1985]

In retrospect, it seems fairly incredible that this was once the stuff of cause célèbre--that the battle was joined over pop product so sleekly affectless. But of course, once upon a time affectlessness was progress; once upon a time a pop fan couldn't count on the radio to push his or her buttons. Those for whom struggle is all will claim that the sparer and supposedly fresher debut remains definitive, but they're just hyping their own dashed hopes. Fleet, efficient, essentially meaningless, this is the Cars' gift to history--seven seamless years of it. A-

so, the cars are confirmed a B-grade band?

>bands

also not his best

Shake It Up has one of my favorite guitar solos. Short and concise, but perfect execution.

>Heartbeat City
Cripes, it doesn't get more 80s than that title.

LiveloveA$AP is one of the greatest mixtapes of all time
LongliveA$AP is still a pretty solid album.

I've never been a huge New Wave guy. Professional critics like Christgau like the stuff because they're postmodernist hipsters but that music doesn't really speak to me.

>want to talk about music
>"maybe Sup Forums isn't really that bad..."
>thread on front page entitled "best Bones album" with multiple replies

Times when you almost took the bait?

TPA and Trans are half good, but WHTFAWVY is their only truly good album.

Come on guys, Heartbreak City is pretty damn good

OP pls

pic related triggers me so hard

holy shit how pleb can you get lmao

the review is literally 'it's nerd music made by nerds for nerds, so it was bad'

I think that Panorama is their best album and Heartbeat City is a runner up. However The Cars are second fiddle compared to other American New Wave bands like Devo or The Talking Heads.

Why don't you go be stupid somewhere else.

Candy-O is better

Why don't people like The Private Press? It's got some really killer tracks.
>Giving Up the Ghost
>Six Days
>Mongrel Meets his Maker
>Blood on the Motorway

>muh Dark Pride of the Poon

Fuck off newfag

Man. What a scathing well thought out retort. You sure showed me.

>be stupid somewhere else

I gave you the response you deserve.

Prove me wrong faggot

implying animals isnt great

>i
>m
>p
>l
>y
>i
>n
>g

heh

At Long Last is his only good one

I felt like Burst Apart was pretty good and In the Attic of the Universe is decent.

DONT FUCK WITH THE FORMULA

Lol tame impala stole the cars font

I liked Antiphon tbqhwy

too many b8 posts in here

>they're postmodernist hipsters
new wave is pretty easy to get into, I think you're projecting noob

piss poor album and attempt

Kys