Before David Bowie's death:

Before David Bowie's death:
>who? wasn't that ziggy starman or something

After David Bowie's death:
>OMG RIP DAVID BOWIE :'(, I WAS LIKE THE BIGGEST FAN OF HIM. HE WAS SO TALENTED AND AN INCREDIBLE HUMAN BEING. MY FAVOURITE ALBUM IS ZIGGY STARDUST. RIP IN PIECE SWEET PRINCE HE'S FLOATING IN A GALAXY IN SPACE

Fucking normie cunts, I want to eviscerate them

I feel the same way, I hate those pieces of shit. But what's the point of this thread.

>being this offended at a massively popular artist having a wide range of fandom
do you humanity my dude?

This reads like some raging Reddit shit.

Bowie always had a huge following. He was never limited to anything underground; if anything, he was normie as any other glam ____ of the time, if popularity aND reknown are how you define it. You'd literally have to live under a rock to not know who he was.

I only cared for his Let's Dance era hits, Changes and Ashes to Ashes before he died. Still feel the same after the fact.

I don't think he means his popularity, he means the act that groups of people often ride the "famous person's death" wagon, just to seem cool or well informed.
This was seen everywhere with David Bowie, as when he died, you could easily see who actually knew his style and albums, and not just "Under Pressure", "Let's Dance" and "Starman" just to name a few.

Not necessarily, I'm talking about the massive wave of people that apparently "appreciated his music" before his death, and put on a masquerade that they do.

But everyone now claims to be a massive fan of his music, sure he was known in the sphere of popular music by everyone. But that doesn't mean they appreciated his music. That happened after he died, and people put a false longing attachment to his music when they likely found out about it after his death

You guys sound like the people I'm talking about

>You guys sound like the people I'm talking about
Oh no....they're here too

Not even heroes?

>gatekeeping like this

Get a fucking life

>tfw I became a fan of Bowie and explored most of his back catalogue when the single for Blackstar came out in November before he died
whew dodged a poser bullet there

To put anger against the people who claim to like a dead artist's music to appear to be trendy and cool. It's transparent and cringey

You're probably butthurt that you're one of these people. I can guarantee that

I know what type of people that he's talking about. The thing about Bowie is that he influences so many different spheres of music, fashion and culture. You can feel sad that he passed merely for the fact that he wrote Changes. Or that he's the guy that pushed Luther Vandross to the stage. Or that he protested MTV for not having enough "black artists." Or that he had a tiny cameo in Zoolander. Not only that but there's always going to be someone that's a bigger fan than you are but it's hard to see that when you're so focused on "normies"

No, actually, I'm not. OP really is just a gatekeeping loser

>You're probably...
>I can guarantee that
what did he mean by this?

You're absolutely correct. However, I'm not trying to be a "Biggest fan" or superior to actual Bowie fans, or saying that you have to be a hardcore kind of listener. I just hate the mentality and bandwagon when a famous person dies, that everyone suddenly praises their achievements and long dedication to them, when that's likely not the case.

>no i'm not
Wowee, got me there. Can't refute that.

For sure. I mean beyond reprimanding the us vs. them mindset that makes being a music fan into a competitive sport it's really annoying when an artist didn't get the recognition and praise they deserved until after they die.

you sound retarded

desu, he was my favourite artist ever beforehand so his death succcked

Blackstar and Lazarus are both easily in the top 5 tracks of the decade so far.

The "us vs them" mentality in terms of music taste or listening is completely silly. But I think that mentality vs the "death bandwagoners" is feasible.

David Bowie got tonnes of praise before his death though. It's not like he was only recognised after his death, he was always considered one of the most important musician of the second half of the 20th century

Same with Prince.

What the fuck are you talking about? You made an assertion and it was wrong. Sorry your argument got demolished so easily, I guess.

desu senpai that's the case with every dead musician

Even back when I was in highschool, theyknew who Bowie was.

It sounds silly but considering music taste has a lot to do with self-identification there are many ways that us vs. them happens. Even in terms of where you get your music from or how you listen to music

The argument was completely pointless in the first place, it was going nowhere

Cool

Gatekeeping is still bad S E N P A I

babby's first celebrity death :')

It's not like I disagree with you or anything, but I find it strange that a legal adult would actually make this post.
Just admit it, you're a freshman/sophomore in high school who's just now starting to be hypercritical of other people.