Jazz fans still here ? whats your favorite jazz record at the moment ?

jazz fans still here ? whats your favorite jazz record at the moment ?

I've been listening to a lot of bill evans lately, this is a really neat album

I can recommend his live albums they are actually better than his studio imp

ill check them out!

Not my 'favorite' but I've been listening to this one quite a bit lately.

Cats! How is everyone? The jazz threads have been slowing down recently, good to see one off to a nice start. My recently most played record is The John Coltrane Quartet Plays...(expanded edition) 1965 Impulse! A-85. Beautiful record.

Nice gonna check it out Coltranes disco is so fcking huge I am having a hard time getting through but every second is worth it !

What a record man! I learned recently that mingus was having a real bad day for those sessions and almost tanked them he ran put of the studio the second they finished the last take.
I was talking with tim just a few minutes ago. The dude knows how to dress. Hes real serious about it. Dressing for the gigs you want not the ones you have. He looked like pharaoh in that gq article with all the cats in it.

His discog is definitely not small but its doable for sure. Give yourself a few months, its so rewarding when you start getting towards the end of it and you get to hear his transition in to making the deeply spiritual music with alice and rashied. That music is beyond anyones words. I recently bought the whole live in japan box set and transcribed jimmys cadenza from live at the vangaurd again! Such a joy to listen to and get to work on.

Cool how was the gig overall ?

I'm relatively new to jazz, but I just a strange album called "Yesterday's Universe" compiled by Madlib. It's a hybridization of hip hop and jazz form which is pretty neat.

I was at a clinic about a year and a half ago that Tim did with a bunch of other Temple cats and when they took questions someone asked him where he buys his clothes.

Do you play in DC often? I can get to DC pretty quickly and I want to get more into the free jazz scene along the East Coast.

Oh i wasnt on a gig with him haha, he just tells me to make sure i dress well everytime i see him, probably because i wear the most basic shit you can imagine everyday and i see him pretty much everyday. We get together in a practice room and play tunes once in awhile though. Hes surprusingly in to free jazz, especially what he calls burnout. From what i can gather its a pre young lions form of free jazz that a lot of those guys liked to play on jam sessions. No head or changes, just start swinging as hard as you can and try to follow the soloists tonality but its mainly focused on trying to swing fast and as hard as humanly possible.

Well, im originally from VA and am a temple guy but i only ever get to play in DC for cocktail gigs and things like that. DC has a nice scene though i never hear about much free stuff going on there. Id reccomend trying to get up to nyc for a weekend once in a while if you can. Or going to william parkers vision festival over the summer, thats a great one!

Any chance you're from Richmond? Surprisingly decent jazz scene there, but I haven't found much free stuff. My goal is to get to NY at least once a month but I think that's going to be expensive so it might have to be just every other month for right now.

>From what i can gather its a pre young lions form of free jazz that a lot of those guys liked to play on jam sessions. No head or changes, just start swinging as hard as you can and try to follow the soloists tonality but its mainly focused on trying to swing fast and as hard as humanly possible.
I love this kind of shit. Never heard it called "burnout" before.

That's wicked that you get to play with those cats!

Yes i am from richmond! Its very good scene. Keeps you from being a product of public school jazz ya know? I dont say this to brag but i really did learn how to play from fucking up on jam sessions with a bunch of 65 year old black dudes and then theyd show me what to do. No free jazz there though, ever, the scene hates it but you learn how to play the old school bluesy shit there which is probably better then the super modern smashy modal stuff.

>burnout
Yeah ive only heard the term from tim but its probably like how when free music just started it was called fire music and alot of the ogs still call it that. William parker always calls it fire music.

Haha thanks man, well phillys a good scene and i have great teachers, william parker, david wong, and ben schachter so they hook me up!

well I like the super modern modal stuff a lot but it's just nice how much live jazz there seems to be in Richmond.

If you ever come back to Richmond we should play some burnout

Theres nothing wrong with the modal stuff but i think it has less connection to free jazz then the bluesier thing they like to play there. Im back there all the time, my family still lives there. Though theres a good chance you might know me if youre a richmond guy.

This album is a must through headphones. greatness.

I don't know... there seems to be a lot of stuff right now with super complex, tricky time-sig heads but then the solos are basically just free, or start out based on the tune but then basically just go real out.

I just moved to Richmond. Never been here in my life before a month ago. Love living in The Fan though.

Yeah, it seems like rosenwinkle, potter and harland are playing a lot of that kind of stuff. Its cool! Haha the fan is killin. I played in that neighborhood last saturday. But yeah you wouldnt know me then. I apologize in advance for the sessions down there but if you can see a guy named ayiende you should go hear him. Very young, complete motherfucker.

Oh yeah he teaches at the same place where I just started. Haven't actually met him yet though. Where did you play on Saturday?

Im going stop posting in this thread for a while cause i need to practice and i hate to monopolize the conversation and distract from talking about records but if its still up in a few answer ill feild all questions or requests for reccs or anything. You guys should all go listen to live at the hillcrest by ornette coleman though.

Hes a very nice guy but kind of private. It was a private event gig at branch and vine with a guy named debo daniels i think. He was good. Never called a tune though, hed just start playing something, luckily i usually knew it from the melody. But yeah, ayiende is great, oscar peterson language for days, had a full ride at nec but dropped out cause he hates the academic environment.

Anyone want to rec me some newer Jazz?

I like Vijay, Chris Potter, Ambrose, and Steve Lehman, aka jtg jazz for modern stuff.

I've been obsessed with this one lately
Really cool, unique compositions but with very free and interactive solos. And long-form tunes.

someone rec'd this to me a week ago and I really enjoyed it. Thx user

if you liked that one then you should check out this one... shorter solos that don't develop as much but still some pretty good stuff that walks the line between free and composed. Reminds me of Joe Henderson/Andrew Hill type playing.