Tell me again why there isn't a massive movement of people...

Tell me again why there isn't a massive movement of people, trying to find a solution to the problem that we (you) will FUCKING DIE AT SOME POINT?!

Seriously. Why aren't we searching for fucking immortality. It should be our number one fucking priority and focus! We are worrying about issues in the world of which the outcome won't fucking matter because WE WILL ALL FUCKING DIE.

You will be nothing. Forever.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Life_extension
ted.com/talks/aubrey_de_grey_says_we_can_avoid_aging
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Shut up faggot.
Death is something that you or nobody can truly comprehend. Maybe the closest we've gotten is DMT. Research that compound instead of complaining in Sup Forums about shit we will never be able to answer. You're going to die OP deal with it.

Holy Moses you are right op. Let's get to it.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Life_extension

ted.com/talks/aubrey_de_grey_says_we_can_avoid_aging

>excluding the possibility of an understanding of death
>excluding the possibility of immortality
Get your brain to work, close-minded dumbshit

Crispr you uneducated shitfaces

hey, go kill yourself, alright?

Read Kierkegaards speech at a graveside and Heideggers analysis of death. It will get your ass on fire more than children on an idiotic internet forum talking about immortality.

Also Bioviva. Elizabeth Parrish,

Stop being casual.

Why aren't you?

Death is what gives life value

Good news/bad news: Research into consciousness suggests that the persistence of ego awareness will not exist in the "uploading yourself into a robot body" sort of way that some might imagine. However, it is very possible that post-egoistic consciousness exists in a way that would suggest some awareness of life outside a body. Having a body means pain, and since emotions and feelings are defined dialectically (each a function of your experience with the other), you would have to keep experiencing pain in order to understand pleasure, and living forever would remain as an endless cycle of suffering and joy... which it very well may be regardless of our ability to "beat death" (mwahahahah, says Dr. House). So, OP, try expanding your conceptual framework of consciousness as bound by the body and explore the limits of what you can understand without one, because the degree to which you define yourself as a separate consciousness is the degree to which you are able to die.

t. maybe some weird future consciousness being manifested by a meat-puppet, I don't know.

because the governments know that we are only part of a simulation and whatever happens in the simulation effects your conscious outside of it. money must do something super important apparently.

They are numb nuts. People are also researching and putting large amounts of money into the digitalization of the human consciousness.

Where is the value of a toddler getting shook to death by it's drunk mother? Where is the value in a 6 year old getting run over by some retard who's on the phone while driving?

>If we are all immortal, no one will die; if no one dies this will lead to overpopulation, resulting in less space for people on the earth. Also, The more people on earth, the more soil is used to grow crops, drying up soil and making it unusable; This would make the earth more and more uninhabitable, but hey, at least we would still have hunting.

Most people are alright with the thought of death at some point and none of them care to the slightest about YOUR death, so there's that.

because magnets duh

Because those things happen you can cherish your existence more because the fact that you are even alive makes you special.

Plus, how are you going to solve those problems? Graft bullet proof materials onto all babies? Give all 6yos a mech suit that can stop a tank?

Just enjoy your life while it lasts, dont waste it by chasing fantasies

As a thought experiment, alright, let's say that death is a necessary condition for value, a point which I am not buying, even less when it comes to meaning, but for the sake of argument let's assume that it is so. What is meant, as I read it, is not immortality as such, but medical therapy which entails a halting or reversal of the aging process. This does not entail that the concept of death loses its teeth. Death still maintains the two characteristics of certainty and uncertainty, the former pertaining to the notion of the necessity of death at some point, the other to the notion of possibility as to when such is going to happen, which is the dire part about death. In any case the only thing different would be the lengthening of the interval of principal uncertainty, where it is already commonly assumed that this concept is only a subject of subjective change over time, never descriptivistic change. That is, the phenomena remains the same, though is represented differently to the subject over time. There should be no apparent change in this from merely prolonging the intervals. How do we loose value?

Yes, but the point is what about those who die young, or tragically, or for no reason what so ever?

I actually agree with this mentality.

I'm honestly surprised we haven't figured out brain transfusions yet, just think of all the problems it could solve.
>body death (heart attacks, organ failure)
>obesity/fitness
>genderswapping (degenerate, but at least it'd be a real swap)
etc

Really don't get why more people aren't looking into it, I get that it's hard but it's even harder if nobody is trying it

Cause I'm gonna go into cryo sleep when I'm older anyway, let the world figure out how to reverse aging and achieve immortality while i wait.

Just the fact that you're surprised about this shows how big of a fucking ignorant imbecile you are

Thx bby, I never actually looked into it, but brain transfusions man, we need to figure them out

3/10, made me reply

Do you really want to live forever? Do you have even the faintest idea what such an existence entails?

As much as the prospect of dying one day terrifies me, the thought of living forever is worse. I would spend all of human history creating meaningful relationships, just to have them ripped away from me again and again by nothing more significant than the mere passage of time. Have you ever suffered losing a loved one? Think of how painful that was. Now think how much more painful it would be to have that happen hundreds of thousands of times.

Even if EVERYONE lived forever, we would all one day get bored of existence, and have no escape. Imagine than a gigantic ball of sand the size and shape of the universe appeared in place of the universe. Every 1 trillion years, a bird comes and removes one grain of sand. When it's all gone, a new ball appears. If that cycle repeated itself 1 trillion times, it wouldn't even be the beginning of eternity.

heard last week of some shit for you to last longer but have you ever considered getting shot in the head in a robbery gone wrong ?
or terrible accident or some spree shooter
so there is no immortality

You are assuming an unfounded adequacy of your own conception of objectivity, please be aware that this leads to a regress when confronted with multiplicity as such, and is completely unreliable unless you can be specific of the finite grounding sequence of true propositions, you've laid down in order to get to this conclusion, which even then falls prey to many a form of rational agnosticism. Fantasy probably constitutes a fair share of each and every belief holism, and quite likely to a much further extent than we realize. Not to stir paranoia.

Death is still an essential part of both natural evolution and population control.
Either the world's population will grow faster than we can support leading to lower quality of life conditions or people must stop having any children halting both natural evolution and societal evolution as new generations of people with different points of view will stop or severely slow down.
Before we extend the lives of everyone we should first make it so we can even support everyone.

they are you dumb fuck I just told you they are doing some research on that you can live longer
fuck even queen elizabeth is alive even do she met Hitler why is that old hag still alive is a mistery.

If we're literally immortal we could just shoot ourselves up in space and find another damn planet. We're immortal so nothing's stopping us.

yea a fuckton of people are actually "figuring them out" but first we should probably get the slightest grasp of how does a bunch of cells sending electric signals to each other create something we call consciousness.
Also when you say "we need to" you actually mean "other people need to". Why don't you just go and study neuroscience instead of browsing Sup Forums and bitching about not living forever and not being able to genderswap so you could go to tha club and get DP'd by jamal and tyrone johnson.

Calm down user, I get that you might be an asshole IRL but there's no need to be one online, we're all friends here
Judging from your tone I take it you're a brain surgeon or neuroscientist, so tell me why haven't you figured it out yet nerd?

I have no problems with straight up importantly, but an extremely long lifespan all of a sudden due to a medical breakthrough could cause terrible conditions for lowerclass citizens due to overpopulation problems if we dont focus our efforts of space exploration/colonization or mass housing for mega cities

if we cannot support the life of everyone, we have not attained the necessary conditions for prolonging life towards having no clear cut end. The proposition was that we attained and actualized the necessary conditions, hence the problem of value and death would rise from there, which means that your answer presupposes the opposite of what is the case in the premises of the question being argued. As such that proposition is not relevant as a critique.

Pertaining to the point of social and natural evolution, it could be argued that people who live "indefinitely" would be more prone to the acceptance of change. On the social part, I would agree that this is a real issue. Pertaining to natural evolution, modifying ageing would be a direct interference with the pattern of evolution, and would therefor in my opinion overwrite the notion of natural evolution, that is bring about a state, which we are already somewhat in, of artificial or human caused evolution, or self regulatory evolution delimited by technology if you will, disregarding that this might not be a good thing at all, however I will for further argument assume that controlled evolution overwrites natural evolution due to factors of control, telos, fruitfulness, flexibility, etc.

There's no need to do anything, but downtalking people is what keeps me going in this cold, unforgiving world, not only does this please me, but probably criticism will motivate some to prove me wrong when i called them retards.
Joke's on them, it's impossible to appeal to some people and i'm one of them.
I'm neither, and i really don't want to live forever, the void couldn't scare me half as much as my last relationship.

It's safe to say brain transfusions are possible, just not publicly available.

Look at the Nazi tests done almost 100 years ago, they had dogs living for hours after transplant, and somehow we're meant to think there's been no progress since then (and suspiciously little interest in making progress)

Tell me: if people did continue Nazi research, and did find a way to get brain transplants working, giving people extended lives, why would they tell the public about it? There's already a problem with overpopulation thanks to people living longer, imagine that problem being made 1000x worse?

Fact is, I don't want to live.

what

I'm a psychonaut. I'm in to higher consciosuness, higher dimensions, and traveling to them via various methods (meditation, kundalini yoga, isolation tanks, psychedelics)

I've never done DMT (other than what we all have, in our dream states), but I have experienced ego death and "lifted the veil" on the next place.

Here are some truths I have witnessed, along with hundreds of thousands of others who all experience the same higher reality, that is realer than our own down here in the meat body vessells:

If it brings comfort, know that you are a perfect fucking being in every sense of the word. You are part of the cosmos, an intricate part, that is so loved you would weep if you knew. You are cherished, loved, and so special to the one consciousness (God, if you wish). There is no judgement. That's an illusion.

Your soul knows all of this, as it chose to come here and experience this ride. You can imagine it as your soul choosing to play a video game. Here, you sit there and control another being in another dimension, knowing it's just a game, it's all fake. Your soul chose your meat body and is doing the same. It knows none of this matters, and will stop when the "game" is over. It will just continue on with being the way you get up from a game and go live your life.

Death is not the end of you, no more than turning off a video game ends the person playing it.

You too can experience the beauty of our home. You go home every night in your REM sleep, but, you can consciously go there too. See the methods I mentioned at the beginning.

(To the inevitable posts calling me a hippy faggot, it's okay. I would have said the same thing before I experienced it too.)

I, too, have done way to much acid.

>don't do drugs kids.meme

this is what Charles Manson said and look what he did. yeah you are a psychonaut, you fucking psycho!

Never did LSD.

I eat pot brownies and get in my float tank. The water is heated to 98 degrees, so you can't feel it. It has 875 pounds of epsom salt in it, so you float. You can't feel your body, at all.

It's pitch black, and you have ear plugs in (we're talking Dead Sea level salt in the water, which can suck in the ears) so you can't hear.

No senses. No touch, no sight, no sound. Your third eye is open from the edible, and you meditate, deeply.

Within 30 minutes I am blasted in to the center of the universe, having a full-blown psychedelic experience. Full visual/auditory hallucinations. If you're able to let go, you can experience ego death and have a full out of body experience.

Why do you have that 11

It's okay. Some people like me want to receive this type of information, others see it as hippy nonsense.

I understand that, and respect your view.

There are plenty of us that have used psychedelics, meditate, lucid dream, astral project, etc. that have seen and yearn for this ancient knowledge. We're okay too.

It's the yin and the yang to all things.

One love.

When I realize life is temporary and nobody will remember me at some point makes me feel relaxed. It's a sign life isn't to be taken to serious.

Immortality would be hell to me

I wish, man. I would've lived a different life had I had the opportunity to explore my consciousness like this.

I didn't have 3,000 dollars for a float tank then, either.

There is already a cure for aging but it is considered anti-ethical to distribute to the masses. Would you want useless scum like boogie, chris chan and people from Sup Forums/r9k/ to live forever?

This. If everyone lived forever they wouldn't do anything. They would only see. You have to understand this. Because right now you are not doing you are only seeing. It is why many Sup Forums users are losers. They see but never put anything into action.

Did you know that everything heavier than iron is radioactive? The half life of most elements we consider stable simply happen to be longer than the lifespan of the universe.

Did you know that black holes eventually dissipate?

Did you know that the stars themselves run out of fuel?

Death is not a part of living, it is a part of existing.

I would like to be immortal, but it is a fool's crusade. I am not going to dedicate my life to surviving long enough to see the last star explode, the last black hole dissipate, the last element outside my body decay into iron.

You "die" every time you go unconscious anyway so why bother?

disgusting ego-centric being

This. Plenty of people are doing research into it. Stop being a faggot

Who wants to live forever anyway

I don't want to live forever, but I would like to be thrown headfirst into a black hole's event horizon shortly before death, so that I can experience some form of eternity.

1 guy stands out cause he is doing research into it
>SHUT UP FAGGOT PLENTY OF PEOPLE DOING RESEARCH

Epsilon semi-moron detected.

Wish Denied.

the thing is that you dont know this for sure, faggot. meaning there is a possibility that if you would be immortal there might be more then just this simple thought you mumbled. it should make you uncomfortable knowing great things will happen when you die and you will be nothing, forever.

Google has set up an entire immortality research center, dude. People have been trying to achieve immortality since the bronze age.

Considering that the goal is logically impossible, it's a comically overfunded field of research.

Can't get shit to research a cure for tremors (which everyone gets eventually, so has to be cured for infinite lifespans), but they'll dump tens of millions of dollars on trying to find a way to lengthen telomeres.

>the thing is that you dont know this for sure,

Yeah, we do know those three things for sure. Supernovas are so common astronomers call them standard candles. The death of a black hole hasn't been directly observed, but the research on Hawking radiation is more solid than the research on the Higgs-Boson prior to its detection. We have observed radioactive decay in non-radioactive elements (half-lives are averages).

What makes things great is a declaration, nothing more. Should just describes your particular expectations. Discomfort is a feeling made out of brain goop. And centuries of work by people far smarter than either of us made my simple thoughts possible.

I have always been nothing.