Does anybody else find they're more disturbed by that Omaha Beach scene in Saving Private Ryan the older they get...

Does anybody else find they're more disturbed by that Omaha Beach scene in Saving Private Ryan the older they get? I remember seeing it when I was like 10 or so when it came out and thinking it was violent, but nbd. When I try watching it today- I mean Jesus.

youtube.com/watch?v=mT3q8tba_lw

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=uFFlHFgYmpU
youtube.com/watch?v=uhOrY88MGbM
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

well when you're 10 you think wow that's what daddy had to go through in the war but when you're 25 you realize that's you and your friends being depicted

i feel like it wasnt as bad as hollywood likes to depict it. like yeah a lot of dudes died, but not that bad. just watch videos of it. theyre like lightly jogging up the beach.

I dont doubt you, but who was recording videos? Back then you needed some heavy equipment for that and its weird to think of some Nazi defenders just standing around taking a video during a surprise attack

>wasn't as bad as hollywood likes to depict it

It was worse.

Most of those films are from other beaches where there was a lot less resistance. I don't know that there's any footage of the first wave on Omaha.

I can't say that it's gotten less effective the older I've become, but I saw this when I was very young and as cliche as it sounds it really opened my eyes to the realities of war. I'd never seen anything like all the soldiers getting mowed down before they could even step off the boat, or the men who jumped into the water and drowned before making it onto the beach

thats true i guess. but why would they have cameras at some beaches and not omaha? they didnt know what the resistance would be like right? unless the ones at omaha got killed, which is plausible i guess.

Disturbed isn't the right word for it, imo.

It's more like appreciation for me. I have long maintained that SPR is the best depiction of ground warfare on film because that opening scene does the best job I've ever seen of driving home how much battle embodies chaos. Who lives, who dies, it's entirely luck of the draw. If someone in a crow's nest with a mounted machine just so happens to pick your boat versus the one next to, if you happen to be standing towards the front of the boat when the bay doors drop, you never even had a fucking chance. All your training and weaponry meant nothing.

Maybe you're one of the lucky few who makes it off the boat. But whether you simply die five seconds later by drowning under the weight of your gear, or survive the myriad other ways to die on the 100 yard journey up the beach and actually make it to something even resembling safety is entirely the luck of the draw.

Maybe you live, maybe you die. Whatever happens just happens with no real rhyme or reason to it. The scene is brilliant because it's like nihilism embodied. That's what I see in it whenever I revisit it these day.

2000 dudes got blown up in a couple miles of beach front

thats pretty bad

they look like they're jogging but thats all they could do with out much gear they were carrying+it being all soaking wet which adds a ton of weight

Anyone who looked at the topography of the beaches knew Omaha was going to be the worst.

Most of them are fairly flat, maybe with a sand berm or a village up the beach, but Omaha lead straight into fortified hills that are, at points, pretty damn steep.

A caveat: Utah also had some hills, as it is adjacent to Omaha, but a lot of the Utah landings went off course and landed at a less difficult area.

>We’ll start the war from right here!
>56-year-old General Teddy Roosevelt Jr on learning his unit drifted off course

Nah when ibwas 10 seeing that dude get hisbarm bitten off In deep blue sea fucked my shit up

I was way more aensitive to violence when I was little... still its not like I'm an edge lorde today either

If you were competent, you'd notice the entirely different perspectives in OP's link, where to the Germans it was indeed a relatively calm landing most of the time. Then on the beach there's about zero cover and you're taking machine gun and artillery fire.

youtube.com/watch?v=uFFlHFgYmpU

this shit was worse than the beach landing

I hate that the more I watch it the more I notice errors:

- the obstacles being on the wrong position at first then corrected when the landing ends
-the paratroopers walking by in the glider scene. You can see the starting point from where the column walks
-Miller throwing live mortar rounds instead of the grenades he has hanging on his belt.
-Mellish having his rifle jammed but then it shoots a bit later killing a german.

Why the fuck they tried to take that nest? What the fuck was wade doing assaulting the mg nest?

>That guy who screams for his mother

you know this happens a lot more than people like to talk about IRL

Well put

>Miller throwing live mortar rounds instead of the grenades he has hanging on his belt.

It's like using strike-on-box matches before strike-anywhere matches. If the box gets lost or damaged, you have no way to light your matches. Similarly, the goal was to use the mortar rounds while they were there and ready to use instead of using up precious grenades that can be used any time without trouble.

Well now I feel dumb. T-thanks.

dumb phoneposter couldn't even get quads

>This is the best plan Churchill and Eisenhower could come up with
>Eisenhower was awarded the U.S. presidency
>For this

They did pretty well.

If you take for example the battle for Crimea in 41-42, on one ocasion the germans lost like 8,000 soldiers when fighting the relief effort on the kerch peninsula but it was considered a success because they captured or killed like 120,000 russians. Normandy was more important strategically and they captured it in a few hours losing a few thousands soldiers.

its not even true. out of 100k people only 3k died. it wasnt that horrific

just jew propaganda

The war had been going for four and a half years at that point and his plan ended it within twelve months.

So yeah, it was a good plan.

The only images we have from 1st wave of omaha are 8 pictures from this journalist who landed with them because the rest of the pics from his roll were over exposed by his pleb as fuck apprentice who was so excited to develop the roll he fucked most of them up

Was it worse having to storm the beaches or having to drop into Normandy?

/his/ here. All of the landing footage was lost. They had cameras mounted on the landing ships.

Who was more insane?

>Momma! Momma!

churchill. there was literally no reason for the UK to fight germany because they went in to poland.

just should have let them fight bolshevik russia to death

The film version is a whole lot more gruesome compared to actual footage

Stop memeing.

Nobody ever gives a shit that Britain and France declared war on Germany because it invaded Poland, however nobody gave a fuck about the USSR invading Poland

Not to mention he pretty much escalated the Cold War to a point that there was no going back from. It is very likely that it would have been a much less terrifying standoff if he had just kept his damn mouth shut.

This was the very first gory scene I ever saw as a kid. It terrified me so much to see someone's face like that because all the movies i saw beforehand had friendly violence (Roger Moore James Bond etc) but yeah this was entirely different.

You know I loved Privates Ryan of course, but it was so stylisticly shot and really lacked depth and belivability to the plot, although it had that romantic nature to it. There really is nothing about the characters to like though and seems liek it was mostly visiually written. thats the thing about hollywood you cant have great fighting shots with a rich story. Fury road is a recent example.

yeah man why didnt they just smart drone hitler and be done with it?

people in the 50s were dumb

>Harry "Sear the Slant" Truman
>Harry "Nagasak-it-to-me" Truman
>Harry "One's Not Enough" Truman
>Harry "Turning the Yellow to Jello" Tuman

I saw this in theaters when I was maybe seventeen. My girlfriend's dad took us to see it. But it seems like even when I see it nowadays it seems way more fucked up than when I saw it back in the day.

>"Nagasak-it-to-me

Jesus christ, user

>however nobody gave a fuck about the USSR invading Poland

After the war UK even gave USSR poland. there was no point to the war

Not to be an armchair general, but were there any efforts to suppress the bunkers with small arms fire as the troops moved up the beach? Surely several dozen M1's being fired at the MG teams at once would be enough to keep them down.

I guess most of the casualties were taken from artillery anyway.

>tfw hitler just loved his people and jews controlled england, the US and international banks and the press

>I guess most of the casualties were taken from artillery anyway.

theres a claim that about 90% of the casualties came from 1 german gunner

Most of the casualties in any normal war (as in the kind where both sides have comparable weapons and numbers) the majority of casualties are from artillery. A single shell can kill a whole battalion if it lands in the right spot.

Hitting a small slit that is above you while under fire to try to accurately hit the gunner who is in the shadows is very hard user.

German mg gunner?

Yeah, allegedly he had a position down closer to or on the beach itself and shot into the sides of the allied troops while they were occupied with the cliff bunkers.

Well on one hand he was shooting americans, so fuck him, on the other hand, that's some impressive shooting.

>This is the best plan Churchill and Eisenhower could come up with
>Churchill

kek, Churchill was hellbent on the Allies invading via the Balkans

He might be the only person that learned nothing from the Gallipolli debacle

It's not all that impressive when you have an MG42. As long as you have a secure position, enough ammunition, and spare barrels, you can perform some industrial-scale murder. The most difficult part would be ending another human being, but that was obviously not too difficult for that guy.

Chruchill was a nutcase that is only "loved" because his country won WW2 despite having the most ludicrous ideas and plans.

Yeah, not to be an edgy Sup Forumsack contrarian but he made some pretty fucking retarded decisions

I wasn't really bothered by any of the violence in SPR, I think I'm more amused or interested in the technical logistics involved when it comes to movies with overt or exaggerated displays of violence, seeing a man fall down and not knowing what happened to him is much more disturbing to me, it's the pre-80's war movies that really fuck me up.

I cry a lot more at shit now than I did when I was 10. Does that count?

Mmm yeah piss off a country that has been rolling out tanks and planes like no one else because they have that fucking Giant city behind the Urals just churning them out day and night.
There was no possible way for the USSR not to fucking claim most of Eastern Europe after the war

Shut up faggot

>"Well actually we were just mad that the Hun bastards invaded Poland, Stalin's a bro" - Churchill, 1945

Patton wanted to just ride the train all the way to Moscow immediately after the war. Honestly the USSR may have done most of the heavy lifting in WW2 but had the US not gotten involved (kinda hard not to considering Pear Harbor happened) the USSR would have steam rolled the rest of Europe with its endless supply of manpower and massive armament production.

>but had the US not gotten involved (kinda hard not to considering Pear Harbor happened)

FDR met with Churchill in 1940 to assure him that his government was doing everything it could to enter the war.

If Pearl Harbour hadn't happened the US would've found another excuse to enter the war

And Russia never would have been able to be as successful as it was without American lend-lease. You think we'll keep sending them millions of dollars and free planes, vehicles, ammunition, guns and more as soon as they invade Western Europe?

Russia was only able to do what they did because the Americans were funding them the whole time. If it weren't for US money, the Germans would've taken Russia.

>Harry "I forgot to dismantle Roosevelt's military-industrial complex post war" Truman

im much more desensitized now. You might just be a big dumb pussy if your brain doesnt depict it as a set and props

>Sacrafice entire British Empire for victory over the Germans
G-Great plan Churchill-san

Without US aid, Germany would have smashed Russia and their shithouse military.

>Not available in your country
Suck a fucking cock, Paramount.

Also walking/running in deep sand is hell.

Truly, this movie fucking sucks balls all around

>complaining about not being more efficient in the largest conflict the world had ever seen

Youre a fucking idiot. Churchill was the only reason the UK didnt join the nazis in the first place

>had the US not gotten involved the USSR would have steamrolled the rest of europe

Kind of "NO" since Russia was on the brink of collapsing even with US help

Why don't you check the amoount of this "legendary" suplly. You're talking like USSR, the cunt with endless resourses, need LL that much.

>save the world
>shithead millenials who have literally done nothing with their lives criticize you on a website

We live in dark times indeed

>Grandparent's generation had to deal with WWII
>Parents generation lives in age of small conflicts but blinding speed technological advancement and prosperity where it's almost difficult not to become rich if you live in a 1st world country
>Our generation has to deal with WWIII

>Our generation has to deal with WWIII
You type from your mobile smartphone on the biggest communication system in history, while speculating about something which will most probably not ever happen. See Baudrilard for reference.
Surely you are jesting.

>>We’ll start the war from right here!
>start the war
Americans ...

Just imagine knowing that you are so expendable that the plan is to get so many of you in there that the enemy can't keep with killing. Surviving this kind of shit is pure luck.

That doesn't look so bad. Just a relatively bad day at the beach.

I've never been affected by it. I watched it the first time when I was 12 and I was like "is this it? This is what they've been hyping up?"

>implying Churchill fought on the right side

Because unattended enemy MG in your flanks is a recipe for disaster. They can dismount it and move it to the better position.

Also mortar round has a waaaay more bigger killzone than hand grenade.

and you say like it would have been bad

>That dude getting hit in the chest with 7,92mm Mauser, getting up only to get nailed again

>It's not that bad :^) t. underage on Sup Forums

I used to think it was amazing but now when I watch it it's got way too much comedic pacing.

>talks to radio guy 2x, on 3rd his face is blown off
>guys helmet deflects a bullet, takes it off end gets headshot
>medic manages to stop a soldier bleeding out, soldier's immediately shot in head

It just feels way too fake or theatrical or something now I'm not sure how best to describe it.

youtube.com/watch?v=uhOrY88MGbM

It was called "Hitler's Bonesaw".

>nbd

Millions of Brits, Frogs and other irrelevant countries threw millions of their people against the german war machinery, so that in the 21st century they can be bred to nonexistence by niggers and terrorists.
Makes me feel a tad warm inside.

I feel like the sniper thought the guy was suffering and wanted to put him out of his misery.

Which was why he spared the medic and the other soldiers that shot.

Germany is getting cucked too.

I've been in a WW2 mood lately, so I've be watching movies I've never seen before.

The 2 that stood out to me were Go for Broke! (1951) and To Hell and Back (1955).

Both have actual soldiers playing themsleves, but that's not why I liked them. They're just good WW2 movies about the life of the little soldier guys.

nerd

Why didn't they just use the eagles to get past the beach?

I don't think that was what they were going for. I think it was just supposed to be stray fire or something.

Shit maybe it was a sniper but still that type of stuff was all the way through the movie and so now when I watch it I've gotta make sure I watch BoB afterwards.

Better question is, why didn't they use ship cannons to clear the landing zone.
I guess soldiers were cheaper than shells.

you cant clear bunkers that way boyo

I always think about that scene where they show the boat ramp going down and the first dude gets DESTROYED by machine gun fire

Like damn all that build up to get fucking annihilated