Should there be more gay characters in movies, Sup Forums?

should there be more gay characters in movies, Sup Forums?

Other urls found in this thread:

hollywoodreporter.com/news/george-takei-reacts-gay-sulu-909154
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

every character should be gay

If it serves the story, yes.
If it's to serve a political agenda, then no.

Thats offensive to Trans/mentality ill though

>Takei went on to say that while Cho, Pegg, and Lin consulted with him ahead of time, that he in turn pushed back against the idea that making Sulu gay could honor him when he and Rodberry had always viewed the character as heterosexual — and was disappointed when Pegg and Lin pushed ahead with the plan, regardless of his opposition.
like we needed anymore proof that Takei is based and Pegg is a limp writes fag. it feels good to see minorities push against tokenism and patronizing pandering

No, there should be EXACTLY the same amount as there is now. No more, no less. We're at the perfect amount.

Holy shit Uhura's gay?

Why not make everyone bisexual like mass effect

I'm pretty sure that by this point gays are over represented compared to their population. Like blacks.

Why can't all fags and minorities be like George fucking Takei? The man is a legend. He understands the difference between equality and pandering.

Thats offensive to singularly sexual gays though

why is who people like to fuck so fucking important to some people?

>George Takei BTFOs the change as a disgrace to Roddenberry's legacy

"I think it's really unfortunate."- George Takei (Original Sulu)

Based.

I respect him even more.

I say that as a bi faggot. Fuck pandering.

He's right. they're just shoehorning this shit in to be "progressive" and trendy. it's fucking disgraceful.

I'm ok with new characters being LGBT or non white, I hate when they change original characters to pander to different groups.

its all they have in life

and black, dont be racist goyim

I think the real problem is that general audiences have a problem with, or at least are perceived to have a problem with, seeing gay characters and relating to them.
Gay kids grow up watching straight films all the time, yet apparently the opposite is just too difficult for adults.

I don't know about that, though.
I don't think you have to be a Chekhov's Gay.

So long as they have something else to them, and this is on the writer, I don't see a problem with someone just being gay cause they're gay.
That's what people are.

Obvious 'symbolism' aside, I see it as just another thing to make your character more of a person, like putting a bit of thought into what t-shirt some character wears, or being being shown liking some music or another.

3% of the US population are LGBT. 25%+ of all characters in Hollywood are gay, it would seem.

17% of US are black. 100% of all superheros are black.

t. sjw

Who will be tranny.
Scotty?

We're tired of seeing you parade around your sanctimonious support of a population so small that it's statistically irrelevant, just to show that YOU'RE hip, progressive, trendy and with it.

neck yourself you useless cunt

CGI Chekov gay scene?

Just gay, bruh.
Off the top of my head, I can't come up with any 'confirmed gay' characters in films that weren't obviously for a gay audience, or about gay subject matter.
Would have liked to see that growing up; the 'big' gay movies the local store had were all mainstream, which usually means being centered around violence and conflict.

So u agree straight characters in movies are serving a political agenda?

Not saying make established characters gay at random to get a quick buck.

I'm just saying that I think it's sad that this is the only 'risk' major studios will take with gay content/characters.
Only smaller films actually take the time and effort to write good, original, gay characters, and the only ones that are going to see them are gay adults, and maybe some gay kids with some lienant parents.

I mean, a movie like this is brutal as fuck in its banter (And pretty un'PC', telling blacks to eat watermelon) and no one's going to see it cause it'll make their dick smaller or some shit they think.

>bruh

I'm a chick, and SJWs make me gag.

Welp, there goes the thread

Spouting your buzzword does not a conversation make

If you were a straight Hollywood actor, would you play a gay dude, and be kissin and feeling up another man on camera. I wouldn't.

Yes because it's called ACTING and you get paid a shit ton of money to do it.

Unless it has something to do with the plot who gives a fuck?

This.

Surprise! We just turned another established character you all love gay/tranny/black/female!

They only change established characters so they can "show those evil bigots!" They can't make a NEW character because then they wouldn't get to piss people off and that just wouldn't do.

There should be exactly the same proportion of minority characters in a story as there are IRL.

For instance, say that 1% of Americans are gay. Therefore, a movie set in America should have a 1% proportion of gay characters.

For instance, let's say there are 25 named characters in a film. Therefore, 1/4 of one of those characters should be gay; say, there right leg and part of the torso.

That's the problem

You mean, why do it?
Do you assume characters are straight when it's not addressed? How do you feel about maybe some bit of dialogue or throw-away scene revealing straight sexuality without an attachment to the over all plot?

This

Are gay people seriously incapable of relating to someone unless they shove cocks up their ass? Is there nothing more to homosexuals than they're craving for cock?

See Generally, you'll find quite the opposite.

Not always tho. Some gay people tend to gravitate to certain interests, hence a higher population of them. Same with women, blacks, whites, men. It's like nursing and a film or show showing nurses, it's simply a fact that women dominate that field, and at least 80% of them would be on screen, despite women being 50% of the general population.

Can't just go by general population.

Practically none is a perfect amount? I suppose if you don't want to be reminded that gay people exist...

At what level of resolution is your standard of "representation" determined? Movie to movie? Year to year? Out of all movies of all time? Numbers are more tricksy than they appear to be.

I think it's really more of Takei expressing his own insecurities than anything. Even though he's very visibly out of the closet now, he's from a generation where being out was a terrifying concept - he's talked frequently of the impact the outing of actor Tab Hunter, a man just a few years his senior, had on him in the 1950s. He went from a burgeoning Hollywood star to a nobody overnight, and that's why Takei stayed closeted until he was nearly seventy. That kind of hesitance to be identified doesn't go away easily.

No, it's pretty clear that he's against just changing people to gay, when they're nearly cannon straight.
Had the creator thought of the character differently, I doubt he'd see a problem with it.

What are you, some sort of homophobic cis shithead?

Fuck you for thinking reality can come anal love.

can come *between

Are you retarded?

Except for obvious cases such as , that would be the logical conclusion. Sometimes a character is just gay, like people are gay.
Not every gay character is meant to be shoved down your throat in a personal conspiracy against you.

it's just it tends to be difficult to make interesting gay characters that are seen as fun for the whole audience without being lewd for some reason. Look at Wallace from Scott Pilgrim.

Should've made Chekov gay instead. His character was a bit flat in the other movies and he kinda seemed like he'd be ok with getting slammed against some wood.

Pandering to SJW's is literally the most futile and retarded thing you can possible do, they will never be satisfied. Ever.

You could set a movie in Africa and they would complain that it needs more black people.

I think user means as long as an established straight character is not turned gay because of sjw shit esp. when being hetero was kind of important to their characterization or the plot.

I don't mind Wallace, actually. I think he might be one of the most well-done outside 'gay cinema'.
He's still a guy, he just like guys. As a slice of life out his and Scott's relationship, I think it'd be spot on.

Lewd isn't always bad. I prefer it to the 'gay, but not offensive' characters I see.

>how to do gay properly
>have it as a part of the character, don't making it a defining characteristic and don't really comment on it unless the movie is entirely about their homosexuality
>if it's clearly a statement, if it's their only defining characteristic, or if it's for publicity, it's shit

I hope this is a satire post. I'm bi and transgender, so shut the fuck up.

Fair

it should be about 10% to reflect reality.

Also it should be all straight white male cast to reflect what feminist believe, and keep them well fed and paid.

This. They just want more and more power.

>Star Trek wasn't "progressive" and "trendy"

Literal spawned both euqality and ripped on the trend of both 10000 leagues under the sea and lost in space.

But yeah, JJ Abraham is doing a terrible job.

But wouldn't swj get angry about stereotypical/ same display of homosexuals all the time (even though most are like that as confirmed by their parades]?
>'gay, but not offensive
And expand on that. Like what?

no no, i've seen them complain that the enemies were black people even though it was africa. It doesn't matter, you're dealing with cult mentality.

It's like trying to deal with any religious doctrine.

Having more gay characters doesn't HAVE to be pandering, or have to be done shittily, though.
Don't be so fucking sensitive. Seeing gay people isn't going to make you gay.

So he's gay because he's Asian or he's Asian because he's gay?

SULU IS GAY?!?!?!

AS A LONG TIME FAN OF THE SERIES FROM OST TO TNG AND VOYAGER I DID NOT SEE THIS COMING!

GASP SHOCK GASP!

Quit making things up, the Trek community knew he was gay for the longest time, he just never felt the need to ever "out" himself until he felt it benefited his activism toward gay marriage. He's just operating off the belief that creator vision should actually matter, the character was married and had a kid and now he's gay for kicks, despite the person they're trying to pander to objecting to it and really for a good reason since there would definitely not be a closet at that point anyway.

>bi
>transgender

Damn, that's a double whammy of special. Way to be a unique individual!

the fuck! i just heard it in his voice!!!

If Hugh Jackman could do it then sure, i'd do it.

Preferably WITH Hughe Jackman, but eh a role's a role.

Would they get offended? If they're actually SJW's or are from an older generation, I would say yes, young gay people wouldn't.

Take Cruising.
When it came out, it was a lot of gays themselves protesting, because then the images you saw of 'gay' people where criminals, murderers, freaks, or lowlives and not much of anything else. It was more important than to have ANY positive gay representation at all, not so much 'human' ones.
Now, I see the same movie played on gay movie nights and shit. People my age didn't really grow up with that atmosphere/caught the tail end of it, so I never thought of Cruising that way when I first saw it.
Now that we do actually have positive images of gays, even if only gays see them, we're at a point where we can start having gay villains or just shitty gays.

I see Wallace as a modern gay character, and in that context, we're good.

>'gay, but not offensive
>And expand on that. Like what?
Like having a gay character and taking pains to not show them doing or saying anything that might actually 'confirm' that they're gay or make straight audiences uncomfortable. (Especially when you get to see a straight character in the same film do much the opposite.)

So since Sulu is canon straight in the original universe, does this mean the cause of gayness is Romulan temporal invasions?

Seriosuly though, they should have made the gay one Chekov or something just because it's really obvious they made neo-Sulu gay because Takei is gay. Plus you get bonus progpoints for making the gay one a Russian in the age of anti-homo Putin laws.

i have such a deep personal investment in these chase scene movies. oh god my mind is blown.

someones been reading my slash fiction tumblr

Alright, I see. However, I think other less sane swj homosexuals and others will still bitch though.

I dunno. Granted it didn't have a wide release, but Stranger by the Lake showed cruising and male sexuality for what it is, for all it's faults/lewdness/'immorality', AND had a villain, and I didn't hear anything negative about its protrayl, from straight or gay.

George Takei Reacts to Gay Sulu News: "I Think It's Really Unfortunate"

"I’m delighted that there’s a gay character," he tells The Hollywood Reporter. "Unfortunately, it’s a twisting of Gene’s creation, to which he put in so much thought. I think it’s really unfortunate."

No, you dweeb. Read it again.

I fucking wish.

Based Takei. Other fags like Ian McClellan would have celebrated it solely because "moar gay = good"

>and that's why Takei stayed closeted until he was nearly seventy.
Takei was not in the closet you ignorant fuck.
He simply didn't announce to the world that he was gay and neither did anyone who knew and respected him.

>Takei actually knows all about his character
>He knows all about the research and planning that went into Sulu

Fuck, I thought he was just coasting off the Trek fame. I didnt know he was grand loremaster

THAT GUY IS SUPPOSED TO BE SULU?
is he even the same fucking race?

Asian men are going to go full SJW over this, they are already very angry over Asian men being desexualized in movies. And they should be angry, Jews have zero respect for them.

I agree with this, sexuality should not be based on political agenda. Therefore every pro-Republican and pro-Christian show needs to add some gay characters to balance it out.

They made Sulu gay because Takei is gay, which he finds insulting and I agree. Its almost suggesting that a gay actor should only play gay characters.

>If it serves the story, yes.

unless it's a story specifically about gay relationship I don't see how having a gay character or mentioning a person is gay can EVER add to the story without it seeming hamfisted.

You could say the same for straight sexuality.

Most gay characters are offensively obnoxious and almost always cardboard caricatures (See woody harrelson in Friends with Benefits). In part it's because of bad writing but the real problem with it is that there is nothing else to them character wise. Why make a character gay if it has absolutely no bearing on the story? Just to be progressive and please the gay and sjw audience? Would harry potter be any different if Dumblerdore was a cock sucker? Obviously not, so the only reason people do it is to pander.

straight characters aren't reminding the audience every minute that they love cock. it's hilarious how important sexuality is to homosexuals, it is literally all there is to their personality.

>Guys please don't make the manlet Asian a faggot
>Look at me, I'm basically a walking stereotype
>Pls guys
>Pls

Gay characters don't have to do this either.

>Why make a character gay if it has absolutely no bearing on the story?
Why make him straight? It could just be a facet of the character.

>straight characters aren't reminding the audience every minute that they love cock
The writers are every time they include a romance or a love interest or a sex scene or unnecessary nudity.

Didn't George Takei publicly masturbate some guy on the Howard Stern show? Why are we nodding anything to him? ugh

Didn't Trump con people out of thousands of dollars and is still being tried in court for it? Why are we trying to elect him? ugh

go suck a dick you fag

If that's true they would have made Spock a faggot since that actor actually is gay.

Except they already made him hetero in the first movie you stupid twat.

>doesn't know what gender fluid is

Back to Sup Forums you ignorant moron

rekt Homollywood

Nimoy wasn't gay, and that's all that matters.

See Just because a straight cock doesn't mean you shouldn't notice it being jammed down your throat, boy.

*shrug.*