Just finished my first Yasujiro Ozu with Tokyo Story...

Just finished my first Yasujiro Ozu with Tokyo Story, and did anyone else get the vibe that Noriko murdered her husband instead of him dying in the war, making her the ultimate example of selfishness that everyone else is disgusted by?

I seriously thought there would be a reveal in the last minute, especially after she gets the watch. But nothing ever happens and everyone still thinks of her as the perfect girl. I thought she didn't/couldn't remarry because of the guilt and would break down in front of the grandfather or something, but no. Nothing. Was this intentional -- did Ozu want an ambigious ending like this? Or it's just me because nobody else seemed to have come into this conclusion from internet searches.

Pretty hyped for the others in the Noriko trilogy desu

Also did anyone else get horrified at the thought of normie old age while watching?
>children turning out as fucking spoiled and selfish despite being "successful"
>even after a good generation of parenting, their own kids might go to shit too, like those bratty grandchildren
>that drunken speech by the police officer's father about how kids will never live up to expectations
>mfw they were also a part of it and its been a thing since forever and nothing has really changed

Nigga wat? I never got that impression. She was genuinely good and caring

As for the second part, I d blame the western way of living.

>babby's first foreign film

Kill yourself embryo.

>its not another capeshit or stealth waifu thread
>Insult OP for making soem kino thread

>She was genuinely good and caring

Maybe it's just hard for me to see that some people are like that, since she was a 100% perfect angel beginning to end. Especially when she gave her money to the grandmother, it just felt like she was literally trying to "repay" her as a way to clean her consciousness; she did admit that she also feels vaguely depressed sometimes too I don't know, I guess I'll just keep it to myself, it could be a cultural thing or I'm just that big of a cynic. Or I just need to see more of Ozu's work.

Oddly enough I understood the eldest sister and the eldest brother the most, since they were basically just dicks through and through.

To be honest, I haven't really dived into foreign film as much I want to, which is why I get so excited whenever I actually do get the chance to see them. Right now it's pretty much a focus on Kurasawa and Ozu as far as Japanese film goes, and it really is fascinating comparing and contrasting their style. Liked Rashomon better than Seven Samurai, since SS just felt too "actiony", which from what I heard was intentional since Kurasawa wanted to capture a bigger audience but eh

I've never seen an Ozu movie
Where do I start?

Personally I started with Tokyo Story since that's the one I always hear about from him. Evidently I haven't regretted it, so would definitely recommend/10. Really kept me excited for me.

Watch the films of Masaki Kobayashi too.

Harakiri (1962) is a good start for him right?

Yep!

Thanks, looking forward to it now

If you want modern japanese stuff watch Love Exposure by Sion Sono, 4 hours of pure undiluted kino

And since you say you are just beginning to explore Asian cinema you should check out Wong Kar-wai and Edward Yang's works, Chungking Express and To Yi specifically

I meant Yi Yi but autocorrect is a dick

Fantastic suggestions. Now that I think of it, I actually have seen Chungking Express as well, absolutely beautiful that one is, incredibly comfy for sure. What else would you personally recommend from Wong Kar-wai?

Definitely have taken note of the other recs though.

Not that user but Fallen Angels, 2046 and Happy Together are amazing.

Awesome, good stuff

If it has Tony Leung in it watch it senpai

Why did you start with the third movie in the trilogy?

It's the most common movie I hear associated with Ozu, and from what I heard it's not really a strict trilogy where it must be watched in order.

Hirokazu Koreeda is the modern japanese auteur. He is sort of the successor to Ozu, as a deeply humanist director interested in family dynamics.

Still Walking is my favorite movie of his, it's a simple and beautiful look at an estranged families life. It's very thought provoking and emotionally powerful, but also quite funny. Umimachi Diary which just came out is good if you want whimsical ghibli-esque slice of life with waifus, and Nobody Knows is sad as fuck if you want heart wrenching tragedy.

I can't recommend enough, they are modern classics.

Very interesting, I'll keep him in mind