/sg/ - Synth General

Synth General Thread

Post your setup, post your financial woes.

Patch recreation edition.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=DUHhCx1zeuU
youtube.com/watch?v=aeLvrKfxs40
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

About $100 from this. The oscilloscope is selling me over the MicroBrute. Opinions between the two?

The Microbrute sounds thick as fuck. Monologue is definitely aesthetically superior though.

Aesthetically superior how?

Just talking about the design of it. I like the wood grain and the oscilloscope.

Fair enough. Dont have pics a the moment but I run a Moog sub phatty with a Korg ESX. Thinking of selling the Moog to buy synths that are less set in ther sound.

Nice. My setup atm is a Prophet 08 and an Electribe ER-1 MKII.

Prophets look like amazing synths desu, what do you use it for?

>ROLAND SYSTEM-8 DEMO
youtube.com/watch?v=DUHhCx1zeuU

Mainly ambient stuff. You can get some unreal sounds with reverb and delay pedals.

I will have to look into it, did you buy yours at full price?

hi synth friends
reminder to play your synths today
have fun~

I think I paid $1200 for it. There was a seller selling minty open box versions.

My wallet bleeds just thinking about that

>tfw had to get a job in order to afford synths
Gonna be worth it

It is. Any idea what synth you're getting to start with?

Well, I had come to the conclusion of an MS-20 mini before I got a callback, and not with a month or so of saving I'll be able to afford something more expensive so I'll have to weigh all my options again. But maybe a juno or something. But having money to spare is like a whole new world

MS-20 mini is an amazing synth to start with. The synth is solid on its own and the filters do some crazy cool shit. once you get comfortable with the synth itself, the patching opens up an entirely new bunch of possibilities

And that's fucking nothing for a DSI Prophet.

Speaking of...
I'm looking to buy a modern VCO polysynth as a new toy. I'm not afraid to spend some cash for the right piece. I'm big into synthpop/synthwave sorts of early 80s sounds, and I love the atmospherics of classic CS-80 era Vangelis and the fatness of those classic Yamaha and Oberheim filters.

That being the case, I really, really, really, really like the DSI OB-6, and the more YouTube demo's I watch of it, the more it sounds exactly like the classic 1980-1986 American-made polysynth soundscape that never ceases to make my dick hard.

I know $2,999 is a fuckton to pay for a new instrument (I've seen open box specials going for $2300), but as a prophet owner, would you say it's worth it?

Especially now that formerly cheap vintages like the Juno 60 and the JX-3P that sound nowhere near as good as the OB-6 are now
>bite the pillow, I'm going in dry
-expensive

I still kick myself for not buying a Juno 60 back in 2004, when spending $350-400 on one seemed like a ton of money to drop on such an old piece of kit.

Thoughts on the Yamaha Reface series? I really want to buy the electric piano (I played one a couple of times in a shop), anyone bought/lived with one?

>best online stores to buy synths
GO

Recently got a lexicon rack for reverbs and fx for pennies
Undusted my old microkorg and hooked it up on a big PA
holyshit.jpg

Think I might be recording a synth-shoegaze EP tonight, cant believe how awesome it sounds. Cant believe a simple reverb could literally change everything.
Still havent tried it with the rest of my gear, but holy fuck

That's a pretty hard to beat combo.

Right now I'm eyeing Korg Odysseys on reverb.

Saving up for a MIDI/audio interface, mixer and monitors
Probably gonna get a Volca Beats after that, then a poly, probably the Minilogue

Yeah, it does look cool. I've had a microkorg for a while and have just been looking for an upgrade

I was never into reverbs that much, tried the Alesis ones and whole lot of stompboxes but always ended up just making everything muddier
That was until I got the Lexicon, and realized everything I read about them is true. It just sounds beatiful. Wish it had more outputs, but I guess that was the reason the MX series are so cheap.

If you're short on budget you can get an old Sony tape/cd player with aux inputs instead of expensive monitors. You can find used ones almost for free in any thrift store and it will get the job done until you can save up for some pro studio monitors

I'm new to this whole synth thing, picked up a Korg Kaossilator Pro second hand today, is it good?

Ive played with it a bit and enjoy it.

Whats a good beginner set up and gimme tips pls?

I too would be interested to see what Sup Forums thinks about the OB-6.

It's fine but you might get bored with it eventually. The fact that you cant edit the sounds or play proper scales is a big turnoff, also the sampler/looper can be a nightmare with overdubs.
Still a fun "groovebox" type piece of equipment. Just hook it up to a good PA, connect whatever you like to the line-in (a volca/monotron or just the audio output of your phone) and have fun

Looks really nice and probably sounds gr8 but it too fucking expensive for the average Sup Forumstant

Sorry, I come from /k/ so I'm used to paying gun prices for shit.

Most cheap VA synths nowadays are cheaper than a budget build AR and are just as fun. I spent about $1600 all-in on my last gun build.

The OB-6 seems like buying a SCAR. You get reamed in terms of up front costs, but it's all irrelevant the first time you get to finger-fuck it knowing that she's all yours.

>it's all irrelevant the first time you get to finger-fuck it knowing that she's all yours.

Agree, but there's so many good synths out there that a price like that is kinda intimidating knowing you can get a classic beast for less.
Still would totally get one if I could afford it

>you will never own a Prophet 10
The Vangelis brass at the beginning made my cream my pants
youtube.com/watch?v=aeLvrKfxs40
BTW any in depth tutorials on how to program FM? All the ones I can find pretty much just tell you "this is what frequency modulation means", and then play some dx7 tubular bell patch. Specifically looking for something to show me what algorithms are good for different kinds of patches.

The only classic beasts that I'd ever consider as a polysynth are 8-voice OB-Xa's, Prophet 5's, any of the Jupiters, and obvs a Fairlight or a Synclavier.

I might also jump for an E-Mu Emulator II, an OB-8, or a Yamaha DX1. Oh, and the Korg Trident.

Any of the Junos, JXs, and Polysixes honestly sound like they all get their shit pushed in sonically by the newer DSI polysynths.

Alas, I only have the money for 1, and when I look at it that way, something that can sound like 99% of an OB-Xa for 1/3rd what an 8-voice Xa costs while coming with modern connectivity and stability sounds like a pretty sweet deal.

I know that feel, bro.

Also, good luck programming FM. It seems like you practically need a PhD in electrical engineering or sound theory to really be good at it. Nothing makes my dick harder than good FM patches though, I love how the Synclavier could crunch and sing when done well. I'd sell a kidney for a fully tricked out setup of pic related, even though I wouldn't have half a clue how to program it and would probably just spend my time jacking off onto the 88-key concert-weighted keyboard controller.

Po 32 vs volca beats vs just using vst
For live stuff what would be better?(thinking electro)

Volca beats seems like a more authentic and old-school interface if you're into electro.

As for live, don't even think of VST unless you have an MPK or something similar, and the Volca is the same price as a decent MIDI controller, anyways.