Has there ever been a film based on a video game that was actually good?

Has there ever been a film based on a video game that was actually good?
I literally cannot think of anything.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=_FWVKEtryvw
youtube.com/watch?v=g-_0AGXaPxs
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

I liked the second Fatal Fury anime

i liked silent hill
far cry was decent, and even funny in some parts (on purpose)

Postal (2007)

Warcraft

Depends on your definition of good. I could definitely watch Super Mario Bros and have a good time figuring out the craziness of it all, but if you're looking for a "serious" film, the subject matter actually has to take itself seriously first

The first resident evil movie and tomb raider aren't so bad. Final Fantasy Spirits Within is good, but that has barely anything to do with the games.

I just watched Warcraft
I thought it was very good

RE1 remains the only good one it's fucking great actually

Tron

The second one is a 9/10

>The second one is a 9/10

7.5, Mike Epps drags it down

Street fighter animated movie. In my opinion the first mortal kombat movie kicked ass and is probably the best vidya game movie

Apocalypse is stupid as fuck, and it looks and feels like something direct-to-video, the directing is awful. It's fun to see Milla kick some ass and there are some memorable scenes but it's definitely not a good movie.

The Last Starfighter

Postal was 10/10

Does Battleship count?

The second one has one of the greatest audio commentaries ever recorded. It's non-stop jokes and laughs with Milla and Oded. I highly recommend listening to it if you own the dvd/bluray.

The movie itself is shit though.

MORTAL

KOMBAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT

People actually paid money to have a physical copy of that shit?

any commentary with Milla is pure gold, and she seems a really fun person to hang out with. Anderson is lucky as fuck

Silent hill is decent, even with all the changes.

I think I paid like 10 bucks for it. I've thrown away money on worse. I also own RE:Extinction and Afterlife

I own the Resident Evil Box Set, deal with it. The first might be the only legitimately good one, but the rest are still schlocky fun, especially Retribution

i remember the commentary track for the first movie was surprisingly, surprisingly entertaining

The RE movies are the director writing Mary Sue fanfic starring his wife.

>that part where she naively asks "wait, were going to watch the whole movie and talk about it?"
>"That is SO COOL!"
>mfw

Milla is adorable

youtube.com/watch?v=_FWVKEtryvw

Don't make her mad though

And she gets to make sexy outfits too!

youtube.com/watch?v=g-_0AGXaPxs

The whole Resident Evil movies barely resemble the games except for names and some monster design

The story is terrible, acting is atrocius and direction is awful. The first one is barely OK.

He said "good" films, dickwad.

You just summarized the silent hill movies too.

leave vidya kino to these lot init

Mortal Kombat.

the rock has never been in anything bad prove me wrong

even tooth fairy had redeeming qualities and a heartwarming story

what was the question, something about her father?

No joke, Mortal Kombat is actually a good kung fu action flick. It holds up. The effects still look decent, the fight choreography is good, the fight scenes have real weight to them and they have some realism in how the fighters start breathing heavily, sweating, and looking like they're working to fight hard rather than just flipping around casually for minutes on end.

>The whole Resident Evil movies barely resemble the games except for names and some monster design
As if anyone who isn't an autist gives a shit about them not being faithful adaptations

>The story is terrible, acting is atrocius and direction is awful. The first one is barely OK.
Anderson's directing in the first film is excellent, and the movie itself is a great genre piece. As for the others, they're stupid and objectively terrible but still fun to watch, especially when drunk/high with friends

I think OP means real movies, not animated ones.

>even tooth fairy had redeeming qualities and a heartwarming story

silent hill was good to look at but...
the whole film is ruined by one giant plothole clusterfuck about the girl being burned and then being alive and then having an "EVIL SIDE. A FUCKING EVIL SIDE FOR A LITTLE GIRL WHO WAS COOKED ON A FUCKING GRILL HOLY FUCK." and then having a "good" side and they were all different people or something and it made no sense.
Then the second movie is literally just that one plothole as the entire plot with the main character just walking around silent hill talking to people and NOTHING FUCKING HAPPENS.
but it's very pretty looking and the "final" scene in the first one is pretty cool.
even though the ending fucking sucks and should have been a happy ending.

I've heard the Ace Attorney movie is good but I haven't seen it (or played the games).

TV has probably had better success with adapting games.

My problem with Silent Hill isn't plot holes, which I can overlook, but rather there isn't enough build-up at the beginning, or much character development to speak of. We have no time to get to know the woman or her daughter so there is little emotional investment in whether she succeeds or fails, lives or dies.

The audience is just thrown into this bizarre world without any real reason to give a shit about what is happening

I really liked the third one, Extinction I think?

>animated movie

That's like saying visual novels are games. Animated movies don't count.

I see what you did there

How don't they count? OP didn't say it has to be live action.

no not really

if it was a NORMAL little girl and a DIFFERENT UNRELATED "girl who got burned and is keeping everyone who killed alive in silent hill until the main character gets there for some reason" it would probably be pretty good.

but it wasn't.
which is unfortunate.

>ctrl + f: wing commander
>0 results

Warcraft. dij

>As if anyone who isn't an autist gives a shit about them not being faithful adaptations

Is all about content: RE1 film donĀ“t have any sequence from RE1 game. Not even the tone is similar. The game is far more realistic over main characters but the game is Matrix kind of bullshit. Too high-tech

>Anderson's directing in the first film is excellent, and the movie itself is a great genre piece.

The movie was panned back then. Turn off you nostalgia googles.

I agree, I don't know why the critics hated it so much, it was a million times better than those atrocious Hobbit movies

>The movie was panned back then. Turn off you nostalgia googles.
I didn't see it for the first time until a few years ago, and fuck your appeal to authority bullshit, there are plenty of terrible movies that get stellar reviews

Apparently her father was arrested for fraud and spent 8 years in prison.

>I didn't see it for the first time until a few years ago, and fuck your appeal to authority bullshit.

RE1 is a guilty pleasure, nothing more. Is the definition by numbers of a bad film.

If you're speaking strictly in terms of how faithful it is to the source material, I will always say Silent Hill and the first Mortal Kombat movie.

It was a mildly enjoyable B-movie.

I don't believe in guilty pleasures, but I do believe that artistic merit and entertainment value are separate but related, RE1 is high on the latter and short on the former. Nothing wrong with that, and it's one of the most rewatchable films out there

The Ace Attorney movie wasn't exactly a 1/1 translation from game to movie, they took a lot of visual liberties, but the characters are all spot-on and the story is pretty solid.