Serious question Sup Forums. Do you like jazz?

Serious question Sup Forums. Do you like jazz?

Other urls found in this thread:

soundcloud.com/tenstring/birds
soundcloud.com/tenstring/blue
soundcloud.com/tenstring/dimitris-wave
soundcloud.com/better-with-the-blues/happy-new-years-blues-sc
youtu.be/mNGls_fW8tI
youtube.com/watch?v=penuNbYSK6E
soundcloud.com/tenstring/what-is-m
soundcloud.com/tenstring/distance
soundcloud.com/tenstring/purple-fuzz
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

you mean *jizz?

Wait... You can talk?

only Kelpy J

I just listen to whatever is in SoundCloud cuz I'm poor and don't know how to tell which band or artist is good

Dark jazz. Bohren & der Club of Gore and so on.

Your post say it's a serious question. Your image says it's not serious at all. Which is it

Miles fuckin davis

It's a serious question. It's just that was the only decent image I had. And also I'm kinda new to jazz I just wanted to be recommended to some artist.

I like french jazz with female singers as a background music. I like vocals, but when I work, read or do something I'm getting distracted by the lyrics in any language I understand.

Sadly I'm planning to learn french to read Proust and other great authors as they're meant to be, so I will have to find something else.

no coz im not a nigger but i do ignite cannabis regularly

coltrane

jazz is the music of intellectuals. you must be thinking of blues

it is not a decent image

Not a genre I know much about but I do like some songs

BEE!!!

Not really. Charlie Brown type jazz is OK; it has a melody and memorable progressions. Free form jazz just sounds like noise to me.

I thought jazz and blues were closely related tho? And sorry then for the image. :(

Yeah same here but trying get more of an understanding of the genre to know what type of jazz to look for

only idiots think that jazz is the music of intellectuals

You seem to have intellectual capability of a metalhead. I bet you'd like to discuss hillary and trump in other thread, go on, that's the space made specially for you.

Love jazz.
More so instrumentals.

Sup Forums movie

Op here so is there any jazz/blues that mostly just instrumental? I don't really like a lot of the ones with lyrics (mostly English) it distracts me from other things. I like the genres because the music is good to listen to without paying full attention to it.

What color is your fedora?

that's the vince guaraldi trio

For the most part yeah. Mainly I like Jazz fusion. Weather Report kinda shit.

intellectual heroin addicted niggers, sure.

Is this jazz?

soundcloud.com/tenstring/birds

Yes.
If you wanna get into it keep it diverse and start with a fusion of a genre you are already familiar with.
As other anons pointed, the classics such as Coltrane, Monk or Davis (amongst a myriad of artists) have widely known and easy to listen to songs (and others a little more on the experimental side). You can also start with what seems to be the most popular from them on the interwebz.

I have a bunch of Pat Methany albums (CDs). Great for driving.

It's like comparing Saint Augustine with Melody Carlson.

Have fun with your indie folk and Infinite Jest then.

Thanks I got into jazz while I was on /wsg/ in one of the threads. I don't really know what artist to go to atm so I just go to SoundCloud or YouTube and listen to a bunch of vids or stuff from SoundCloud while I play or do other things.

Do you listen to Huey Lewis and the News?

Piano House Playlist on Spotify. Has plenty non vocal jazz artist.

soundcloud.com/tenstring/blue

if you have to ask, youll never know.

Thanks mayne

soundcloud.com/tenstring/dimitris-wave

Metalhead and Jazzhead here you pompous fuck

°tips fedora and teleports with cassette player and wooden pipe°

Same user.
What is your favorite genre at the moment? As with any other genre, you can find jazz that better adapts to your liking. For instance, somebody mentioned Bohren & der club of gore which is terrific music, but pretty depressing for my liking.

Agreed

Not an expert, but Id say i do listen to and like jazz.

I wouldnt call this piece jazz.

Op here, thanks! It sound nice. Now I wish I knew more guitar to play like this.

Just to have a full image of you before I puke, what do you think about marvel movies?

I like stuff kinda like this

soundcloud.com/better-with-the-blues/happy-new-years-blues-sc

Unfunny normie memes.

Fuck yes. There are days when I only want to listen to jazz. Sometimes when I've had a bad day I spell it "jass", like in its infancy.

I'm sorry for the image, but it's a legit question. I wann get more into the whole jazz/blues genre

Faggot listen to Jaco Pastorius and Thelonius Monk and tell me that didn't evolve into metal.
Also there are some decent Marvel movies. Fun to watch but I wouldn't exactly call them good. I liked the comics better before they decided social justice was more important than storytelling.

Very simple stuff

As you can already tell I'm a very utter beginner.

ALSO there are tons of Metal artists inspired by jazz today AND vice versa. Danny Carey, legendary fucking drummer of Tool, plays jazz with Doug Webb and some other amazing jazz artists. I've heard awesome jazz renditions of songs from metal bands like Intronaut. Admit you're nothing but a fucking hipster for trying to ONLY like jazz, faggot.

Keep learning a day at a time and you'll be on the same level as your peers before you even know it. Just takes practice and dedication if you're serious

Cont. I don't even own an electric guitar. I'm still trying to save up for one (it's $350 and more probably with an amp)

Try listening to Chet Baker or Stan Getz, they are both pretty rythmical. Although I couldnt really match the feeling with blues. I'll try to think of something else, I'm not really a connesieur. :P

Hey OP here. Thanks for all these suggestions and all that. You've all been pretty helpful. I just wanted to say thanks before the thread 404's when I'm not paying attention and not thank y'all.

You're interested in jazz and blues?
Need to save more? Think 350 is maximum PLUS amplifier?

Dude pick up a second hand acoustic guitar and a chromatic tuner from a music store, along with some new strings. Literally all you need, and you dijt have to spend a lot if it's not something you're really passionate about. Too many cucks spend tons on a set up and dint even learn how to play/try so just save yourself some money and see if you like it. Plus acoustic is the roots behind guitar playing. Also builds up better finger strength/muscle memory from having to put more strength/effort into learning chord shapes and scales

>jazz evolved into metal
>poetry evolved into rap
>brie de meaux evoved into kraft's mac and cheese

>Also there are some decent Marvel movies. Fun to watch
Look I don't think we can operate at the same level.

I had an acoustic when I was younger (about 14) but I sold it to deal with some shit and now since things have gotten better I wanted to get an electric. I've learned and memorized the basic chords and stuff, but it's been a while since I've touched guitar (I'm 20, sold my guitar at 18). This ain't the first time I was interested in jazz. But I was either too shy and of a pussy to share my interest with my friends and stuff thinking they would make fun of me (they listen to the more modern and famous artists). But maybe your right I should get an acoustic instead. lol I still remember the times when I used to cut my index finger on the high E string.

>Admit you're nothing but a fucking hipster for trying to ONLY like jazz, faggot
There are other kinds music except metal, you know. Not liking metal doesn't make you a hipster, it's just the first step towards maturity.

Last before i go to sleep based on your blues example "chic corea" or "herbie hancock".

I hope you find somethinf interesting, OP. Jazz opened the doors to other genres and artists for me.

Jeez everyone on Sup Forums just argues...

K man g'noit.

Lol.

I like you user. I do think you are a pretentious hipster, though.

Literally all I said was certain jazz evolved into certain metal. Listen to Punk Jazz by Jaco, and then listen to some Dillinger Escape Plan. And you ask me about something completely unrelated and then ignore the rest of what I said? You're really giving off a -sad autist who hides his insecurities by acting superior by only listening to one kind of music-
All you need to do is look through history to see that every type of music comes from the previous generation's music.

Jazz guitarist fag here. I do but I'm picky with it. Some of it is garbage. I hate fusion and some modern stuff can get pretentious. Like the Jackson Pollock of music. Also I've played so much of it that sometimes I almost just get sick of music altogether and would like to put myself in a sensory deprivation tank.

I'm not saying you have to like metal, I'm saying you have to not be a faggot by not only looking down on other people who like other things than you, but automatically assuming that someone you don't know, based on a single word in a single post, must be some kind of metalhead retard.

I feel like some of the best jazz guitarists are fusion oriented though? How do you feel about Pat Metheny?

As an insider, im interested to know what you listen to in jazz an particular and other genres in general.

Agreed, theres plenty of garbarge and prodigious unoriginality, but that goes for any type of art. Theres also insufferable fine art and brilliant art for the masses.

youtu.be/mNGls_fW8tI

I do

Well no

I like some of his stuff. I guess I just lean more towards the straight ahead. Absolutely amazing player though weather all his stuff is to my taste or not. One of my biggest influences is Grant Green before his funk phase.

Have you listened to Nels Cline? Probably one of my favorite guitarists. He has a subtly unique style and the kind of stuff he plays is equally subtly unique.

Things I listen too change at different times. A couple of summers ago I was on a big west coast jazz kick. Chet Baker, Lucy Ann Polk, Dave Pell etc. Funny enough although I understand the importance of the influence of Charlie Parker I've never really enjoyed his stuff much. I like Dexter Gordon way better. And Hank Mobley' soul station album is also one of my favourites.

>metal and jazz have blablabla in common
So do you and me user, since we're both human, and we still wouldn't like each other. Look, the fact that there might some points where both genres meet doesn't instantly mean that metal is a valuable music. I don't know why you're giving so many examples of this. Of course you can find connections, each genre of music was mixed with every another at some point. Going by your logic I should like every single song, because I can track it's origins back to Chopin or Arne.

>You're really giving off a -sad autist who hides his insecurities by acting superior by only listening to one kind of music-
>If I don't like what you like then I don't like anything at all

>assuming things is bad, we should give everyone a chance
really?

No but I'll look that up. Always like to discover new stuff. Thanks!

>Nels Cline
Checking this out now. Pretty cool!

youtube.com/watch?v=penuNbYSK6E

yeah, dude. Snarky Puppy is paving the for a new wave jazz, good shit.

>get spotify
>get adblock for your browser
>use spotify plugin
>free music without ads

This all day.

Noted.
Thanks for the info based user.

[headphones/speakers ]
soundcloud.com/tenstring/what-is-m

soundcloud.com/tenstring/distance

No but there's more to different kinds of music than you think, just try to keep an open mind the way you would want faggots who only listen to metal or rap or pop or whatever to listen to what you like. There's some real talent out there, and you don't have to like it but you do have to stop acting like you're better than anyone else or that your tastes are better.
I'm saying this because I was like you when I was younger. I listened exclusively to jazz and certain classic rock, and assumed everyone else who listened to more popular stuff was a close minded idiot.

I don't remember what it's called, but he did this mini concert with two other people in this cramped office. You should check that out because it's more jazzy. I think it was literally called like Office Concert or something straightforward like that.

Alright I'll look that up later but I gotta head out for a bit. Big mac attack is calling....what is it with hangovers and big macs anyway?

Coltrane, Mingus, Davis, Parker, Rollins, the works.

Fusion, avant-garde, and other shit is great too.

I can't relate. Only been hungover once and I didn't want to eat anything at all for 24 hours.

I have to agree with the other user, pal.
I do like certain metal tracks but i never really understood he hype around it. Metal is overrated in my opinion. Now, I don't think you are a close minded idiot but i do believe you are just vapidly trying to justify Metal in front of that other user (which you shouldnt).

Take this as the comment of somebody who listens pretty much a little of everything... I don't feel I should justify whenever I feel like listening to the cheesiest most terrible songs of Spice girls whenever I feel like it.

I'm not trying to justify myself I just hate people who think they're better than other people based on their tastes. Saying metal is overrated is like saying any other type of music as a whole is overrated. I don't know what you mean by saying an entire genre is overrated. Dizzy Gillespie is overrated but Charlie Parker isn't, and yet they both played the same kind of music during the same time period.

Jaco inspired sound
soundcloud.com/tenstring/purple-fuzz

How so??

OP, I wonder if you'll like something like Omara Portuondo. Check buena vista social club, it's quite different though.

>you don't like metal so you don't know anything about different types of music and also you're just like me when I was younger and therefore I can edify you
You're very quick to come to conclusions for someone who's defending the open-minded side. Are you sure I'm the only one who's assuming so much just because someone speaks in one way or another, likes this or that music or enjoys retarded action movies?

I admit most of the music I listen to is piano music, since I like playing even more than listening, but I do like a lot of other genres. I just don't value metal in the same way I don't value a fantasy author over a belletrist. It seems flat and simple. Like instant coffee. I can't find a pleasure in listening to it, and from my experience I won't become good friends with the type of person who does. Why is it so hard to accept?

Well it's not now, but when you act all fucking pompous that's when it's hard to accept.

Sup Forums is the place to act pompous, and doing so has it's rewards.

the god himself.
Also
cecil taylor
albert ayler
ornette coleman
sun ra
george russel
pharoa sanders
charles haden
tim berne
thelonious monk
sam rives