Sup Forumss opinion on Foreignor?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=cUVZsu36SW4
youtu.be/Zf53Pg2AkdY
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Not ashamed about having a soft spot for Feels Like the First Time or Double Vision.

One of the worst dadrock bands of the late-70s. Every song sounds like the same bland shit.

I heard this analogy somewhere else, but if Journey was a hit machine, Foreigner was the sweat shop equivalent

I don't disagree with either of the other posts above at all. They're better than Journey. I still like a few songs by them.

Foreigner [Atlantic, 1977]

You've heard of Beatlemania? I propose xenophobia. C

Double Vision [Atlantic, 1978]

I love rock-and-roll so much that I find myself getting off on "Hot-Blooded", a typical piece of nookie-hating cockrock based on a riff-verse-chord change that's (gah) second-generation Bad Company. Other than that, there's nothing here to threaten their status as world's dullest band. Inspirational verse--"She backhanded me right 'cross my face." C+

Head Games [Atlantic, 1979]

Not as sodden as you'd expect--these guys are pros and they adapt to the times by speeding the music up. I actually enjoy a few of these songs until I come into contact with the dumb woman-haters doing the singing. I mean, these guys think punks are cynical and anti-life as they complain that the world is all madness and lies and then proceed to rhyme "science" with "appliance" and don't intend a joke. C

Everything Rocks and Nothing Ever Dies [1990s]

One of the many manufactured bands created when a record label gets together a bunch of session musicians (see: Eagles and Bread).

In Journey's defense, they never forgot how to do rockers while Foreigner and REO Speedwagon dropped the ball hard in the 80s by doing nothing but power ballads.

Frank Zappa once complained how for a while, the only rock you could hear on the radio was Foreigner, REO, Journey, Styx, Kansas, and Eagles.

bump

How many bad 70s rock cliches can you put on one album?

Then Frank continues to be right. The only band I'd replace on that list is Kansas for Led Zeppelin. Either way, that's about 80% on the dadrock stations. Also, they're all instant radio station changers.

No shit, dadrock stations only play Top 40 from the 70s.

Is it me, or does Christgau seem to have problems admitting that women can (and are) assholes?

There isn't a bad cut on the album, but it also doesn't do anything especially interesting either.

Also there doesn't appear to be any coherent theme, the songs are just kind of random shit thrown together on one record.

Back then, Zeppelin were not as present on the radio as they are now.

My dadrock station is pretty based tbqh. They play a good mix of 60s, 70s, 80s, and some 90s thrown in there. The request hour gets pretty crazy. They played the full In A Gadda Da Vida and the Court of the Crimson King. I won't deny they overplay the shit out of Zeppelin but I'll really only switch if they play All My Love or Stairway to Heaven cause I don't mind them. They also overplay the shit out of Tom Petty, which I do have a bit of an issue with because I can't stand half of his songs.

I think it's weird as fuck hearing Green Day, Foo Fighters, and 3 Doors Down on this station though. I guess the guys playing music had a soft spot for them and just threw one song from each (When I Come Around, My Hero, and Kryptonite) on the rotation.

Oh, and Doobie Brothers. These bands marked the first epoch of buttrock.

There's nothing wrong with early 70's doobie brothers. Once they started making shit like What a Fool Believes is when they hit rock bottom.

Sure, but the purpose of them was to be chick friendly and songs like Keep On Loving You were the ultimate makeout music. Back at that time, if you listened to the Ramones or AC/DC or something, you'd probably scare girls off.

Top 40 from the 70s? you've definitely never looked at a top 40 chart from the 70s cause dads do not listen to disco :/

>yfw Christgau gave Minute By Minute a B+, the highest rating he gave to a Doobie Brothers album

Holy god, what a hack.

"dads don't listen to disco"
You don't know my dad.

Disco obviously was late 70s, early 70s Top 40 was shit like the Carpenters, Chicago, and Three Dog Night.

Not too fond of dadrock from them and the likes of Journey, Styx, REO Speedwagon, and basically all of the other stuff that gets played on the Q-95 classic rock radio station in the place where I'm from. Call me a hipster doucebag but I'll take my Sonic Youth, Faith No More, Nirvana, Primus, etc over that stuff any day.

I think Bread may have been the first buttrock band since they started two years before the Doobie Brothers. Certainly they were the first example of a record label assembling a group from studio musicians. But it wasn't until 1972, when the counterculture era started winding down, that commercialized rock based on cliches began to appear in large quantities.

And if you want to know why punk and disco happened, consider the rock scene in 1977. Foreigner, Doobies, Styx, Kansas, Foghat, Starcastle, UFO, REO Speedwagon. Pretty fucking bad.

I'm going to post this again: 1970s from best to worst.

If you'd listened to the radio in the late 70s, you'd hear all those bands plus disco plus a wide assortment of one-hit wonders, novelty songs, and artists that have long been forgotten.

like this 'gem' from '75

youtube.com/watch?v=cUVZsu36SW4

The vinyl bin at your local thrift store will typically be full of "who the fuck is this?" one hit wonder artists.

Compared to guys like this, Foreigner were among the heavyweights of the era. At least they had a long career and a lot of hits.

Christgau had noted with dismay that as the 70s ended, the Doobie Brothers' recording career had lasted longer than the Beatles' recording career and there was no reason to think they were going away any time soon. Welp, he was wrong since they disappeared from the charts after One Step Closer (they had a minor comeback at the end of the 80s with Cycles).

Journey are like Barry Manilow--so female-oriented that it's impossible for a man to appreciate them.

Pretty accurate

don't you remember this shit from 1973?
huge fucking radio hit
but a shit commercial song
the video is pure cringe
youtu.be/Zf53Pg2AkdY