This shit aged like milk

This shit aged like milk

(not true, by the way)

I don't think it's anything too special either

Very true

but it was released only 2 years ago..

It didn't age at all you absolute retard

Just proves how badly it aged then

It's aged like wine actually, especially with all the generic trendy pop rap shit coming out since it's release, it's like a breath of fresh air.

I'm still surprised an album that sounds like this could come out in the mainstream, let alone go platnium and high critic praise.

trendy pop rap was just as if not more popular when this released?

disagree about it aging poorly but I haven't had the urge to go back to it in ages unlike GKMC

Nobody cares about your hipster opinion. Well, I guess I do to an extent because I replied. But my point stands.

idk if i agree with that, the trap-influenced acts like Yachty and Uzi and even Future have become more successful and mainstream in the last two years, I mean broccoli hit no. 1 and that wouldn't have happened in 2015 imo.

I actually go back to TPAB way more than GKMC. In fact, the more time goes by, the more I go back to TPAB. Either way, it's only been two years, so we have no idea how it's aged one way or another.

Tell me exactly how this aged poorly when it's only been 2 years.

Your point is ultimately that you care about his opinion.

Future peaked in mid-late 2015 and early 2016. Shit like Young Thug, YG, Bobby Shmurda, O.T Genasis, Rae Sremmurd etc was inescapable around when this shit dropped. Plus you said you were surprised this became as successful as it did during this era, when the truth is that these kind of rappers actually always do the best, J. Cole, Kendrick, Chance maybe add Kanye there too, always outshine whatever else is trending at the time in terms of sales and critical acclaim. So no it wasn't really a breath of fresh air at all.

The jazz/funk wave immediately became a trend that was beaten to death and now sounds incredibly fucking outdated.

It was sour, curdled milk as soon as it was released though

OK, OP...
What albums HAVE aged well?

i wasn't the one who said that, i was just responding to what you said. that's true of future, but i feel like that sound has only gotten more popular, infiltrating the mainstream charts in a way it wasn't back in 2015. Plus, I think of Rae Sremmurd really taking off in 2016. Either way, I agree that those latter artists do the best overall, but I wouldn't compare the sound of any of their records to TPAB, nothing in any of their discographies sounds like TPAB. Heavily jazz/funk influenced rap has generally fallen a bit by the wayside since the late 90's/early 2000's, so I get why that resurgence would be refreshing to the other user.

GKMC aged better than this

>trying this hard to be edgy and different

I feel the exact opposite. GKMC sounds to me like such a product of its time, while TPAB has a unique and timeless sound to it.

Don't even remember what it's like to have a music taste so undeveloped that I still care about hip hop

how do your dicks stay hard when you jerk to this album every night and cry afterwards, fantanofags?

pretty undeniable

stands out against recent rap releases, but "westleys theory" and "u" are the only ones i dont mind listening to, really. the others are tolerable.

gkmc is a lot more enjoyable imo. uu is also pretty solid as a project and is probably more interesting than tpab.

Jesus christ, what's so amazing about this album and Kendrick in general? There's nothing interesting in this album. It's boring and too long, and he doesn't bring anything new to the table.
>conscious hip hop with jazz elements
Wow it's not even like we've already listened to music like this 20 years ago
And it's not even the best hip hop album of 2015 and I've seen people calling it a classic already for fuck's sake.

Tell me, fuckers. What's so good about TPAB/Kendrick

Are you sure? This album aged like fine wine. Stay mad, nigga.

Yea, like fine whine that someone took a dump in it

the jazz funk production did/has

kendrick good
tpab :7/10 album decent but not classic

I rarely listen to this album, but every time I do I'm just amazed at how fucking good it is

kendrick has better lyricism/delivery than pretty much anyone in the game rn, I would say. I would also extend that to "ever", but that's more subjective. We can still probably agree that there's basically no one in hip hop history who sounds super similar to Kendrick.

TPAB is good because jazz/funk influenced hip hop from the 90's was limited by the production technology and strategies of its time. A lot of it sounds really dated, and not just because of the musical choices, but because of the production. TPAB is basically orchestrated, with unique, full-song length instrumentals, as opposed to a lot of older jazz or funk related rap (TPAB is way more funk than jazz but I'll include both) which used samples or loops for the most part, rarely using original instrumentals or showcasing more than a few parts of a few songs in the sampling.

It also is more cohesive and narrative than any other project in this style that I can think of, and doesn't really share its specific sonic direction with any other specific album or artist that I can think of. You don't have to like it, but that's a large part of what's good about TPAB/Kendrick.

>it's boring and too long
Hey man, that's just like your opinion. I respect it but I and a lot of other people disagree.

>no one in hip hop history who sounds super similar to Kendrick
J.I.D, but he came out after

I like it but it's too damn long. The assmad from GKMC plebs is hilarious though.

t. redditor and avid rym user

I listened to this again recently and thought it was fine. None of the tracks or statements made necessarily blow my mind, but it's not like they ever did in the first place. The album has a great energy to it at times and I still very much enjoy a lot of the melodies. There isn't a lot of music that doesn't lose at least some of it's strength after a couple of years.

Wonder why? Because Kendrick "shit" Gaymar FUCKING SUCKS, maybe?

D I E
I
E

Even trendy pop (c)rap shit is better than this faux jazz and half assed funk influenced mess
Only a p4k lovin numale who's clueless about music can think this garbage is revolutionary. This album is a disgrace to jazz and funk

Is it true he only lets some people interview him after the interviewer has been tested to see whether he's good enough?

J.Cole>>Kendrick

Give it 3 years and Sup Forums will come around and realize that TPAB was and is Album Of The Decade.

Fucking nerds

I'm getting sick of the amount of times black artists say nigger

Why niggers can't adapt to society? Is it because most of them are borderline retarded? but stupidness alone can't turn someone into a literal chimpanzee, there must be some malfunction in their brain that turns these niggers into savage animals

rlly makes u think...

Hey bud, I think you left you containment cell. Please report to Sup Forums ASAP.

fuck off niggerlover go back to sucking jerome's dick

This shit aged like mlik. Can't even be bothered to listen to this relic two days later.

Are people actually expecting a new album in 2 weeks time?

"no"

Name one other album that sounds like TPAB.

Why the fuck is the average age of Sup Forums 15 now I been here too damn long mayne

>aged like MILK

whoa take that somewhere else you racist fuck

This

O U T

(just kidding)

I laughed at the first sentence. Kendrick's lyricism is nothing special whatsoever and his most basic lines are overhyped by kids that also think J.Cole is a great rapper.

>aged
I thought it was mediocre, but don't see how it aged at all in two years. Hip hop hasn't changed at all since then

>best verse on the album was the fade out of a wacky throwaway song
still mad

Why would I listen to an hour of a dude lightly breathing into a mic.

This. There hasn't been anything groundbreaking in rap since then, this album is still "critically" considered the best of the 2010's.

N O

>I know every major music critic and rap fan like it but I don't so it's shit!

>only 2 years old
>most of the stuff he's rapping about haven't gone away and/or gotten better
>aged like milk

This.
Why the fuck do they constantly do it all the time?
Especially this album. I like it but I feel some hypocrisy.
>dont be racist dont be a fucking asshole learn to love
>NIGGA MY NIGGA YUH NIGGA

>tfw TPAB was released 2 years ago

>blacks that act white, whites that do the dab
>donald trump is a trump

*chump

>every major music critic
you don't know shit about music critics pitchfork's cocksucker keep listening to what your ''major critics'' who don't know batshit about music theory and get paid for rating music based on artists' ethnicity and political stance
>rap fan
as if their opinion matters the slightest. It's a good idea to stay from anything they think is ''lit''

Scaruffi is literally the only person who didn't like it

your b8 is showing

Just fuck off underaged reddit immigrant learn to argument and stop calling everything you dont agree with bait

good kid mad city is the only good album kendrick will ever release.

>What is Section 80

how can shit get worse than it already is

lmao kendrick's rhythmic and syllabic dexterity are matched by zero people at the top. The way he raps over the beat in "u" could not have been done by j cole at all, and j cole is incredibly simplistic in his flow and syntax. If kendrick doesn't have good lyricism, who does, and what does good lyricism look like to you?

you wish reddit would come here. This place has been dead in 2017

bumb

That album is timeless. Name 1 thing about it that dates it.

What the fuck kind of synthetic milk are you drinking that lasts two years?

AYO HOL UP IF U DON'T LIKE THIS ALBUM YOU A RACIST!

By that logic, Italo-Disco concerning the universe isn't dated because the universe still exists.

Whiny pseud-"math" rock is a very late 80s/early 90s thing.

It's not bait because he doesn't have your opinion.

>.png
Dude what

It isn't whiny and it's doesn't share enough of the typical math rock characteristics to be identified as such, certainly not to date it to a specific era.

It sounds more like you're describing "American Football" than you are Spiderland.

His lyricism is absolutely terrible

I just said this in another thread. It sounds like it was written by a 5 year old trying to imitate a slam poet

If these walls could talk, they’d tell me to swim good
No boat, I float better than he would
No life jacket, I’m not the God of Nazareth
But your flood can be misunderstood
Walls telling me they full of pain, resentment
Need someone to live in them just to relieve tension
Me, I’m just a tenant
Landlord said these walls vacant more than a minute
These walls are vulnerable, exclamation
Interior pink, color coordinated
I interrogated every nook and cranny
I mean, it's still amazing, before they couldn’t stand me
These walls want to cry tears
These walls happier when I’m here
These walls never could hold up
Every time I come around, demolition might crush

There is nothing good about this. It's awkward and annoying not for any good or interesting reason. It's just bad

well, they work well with the music and are rhythmically interesting, so they're good/interesting on that level, which matters.

and i could be wrong, but isn't this about sex? it's definitely among the worst on the album, and I don't love the first four bars, but I still think theres some good stuff in here. The walls are her pussy, right? it's about needing sex to fulfill yourself, sex as a reflection or extension of your emotional state, and i don't think it expresses that poorly at all. Don't love the line "demolition might crush" either though.

Like you cherry picked some of the worst lyrics on the album (other than "institutionalized" imo) and I still think there's stuff here that I like more than most.

No I get the premise I'm just saying the way it's translated into English is absolutely terrible

>Like you cherry picked some of the worst lyrics on the album
I really didn't. All his songs are like this

I think it's less shitty on Maad City but mostly his writing is absolutely abhorrent

I'm tired of y'all, cause everybody lied to y'all
And you believe it? Recognize them false achievements
It's treason and I'm Tylenol, I knock out when you knock it off
Knock on the doors of opportunity, I'm too involved
I'm no activist, I'm no Einstein before calculus
I was kicking that math, dropping that science
Like an alchemist, and I be kicking that ass, lyrically I'm UFC
If a UFO had came for me, I'mma come back with the head of an alien
Don't alienate, my dreams, get it right
Get a life, I got two, that's a metaphor for the big shit I do
Boy, TMI, TSA, man I'm fly, put wings on my back
That a plane or angel? Both like a pilot with a halo, whoa... gross

idk, i get why it might not appeal to you but i don't get why you think it's objectively bad. It's different from most, and for the most part, it's lyrical and uses devices without obscuring the meaning. And I do think you're picking some of his worst lyrics, which makes sense, given you're defending your position, but like

When I get signed, homie, I'mma act a fool
Hit the dance floor, strobe lights in the room
Snatch your little secretary bitch for the homies
Blue-eyed devil with a fat ass monkey
I'mma buy a brand new Caddy on fours
Trunk the hood up, two times, deuce-four
Platinum on everythin', platinum on weddin' ring
Married to the game and a bad bitch chose
When I get signed, homie, I'ma buy a strap
Straight from the CIA, set it on my lap
Take a few M-16s to the hood
Pass 'em all out on the block, what's good?
I'mma put the Compton swap meet by the White House
Republican run up, get socked out
Hit the Pres with a Cuban link on my neck
Uneducated, but I got a million-dollar check like that

what's so wrong with this? I think this is closer to his average on TPAB

/thread

shit

>idk, i get why it might not appeal to you but i don't get why you think it's objectively bad. It's different from most, and for the most part, it's lyrical and uses devices without obscuring the meaning. And I do think you're picking some of his worst lyrics, which makes sense, given you're defending your position, but like
It's really just bad dude. It's not intangible or anything

Language is an art and especially with English being such a hideous mish-mash of other languages writing something that flows well, describes the siduation and sounds cool is an absolute art. Some music (especially rap) gets ahead of itself and writes songs that are iconic and sound cool but aren't about anything and don't communicate anything.

This is just bad. It's awkward, stupid and annoying

i agree, but i don't get what you think is bad about it on any kind of objective level. it makes sense, flows well, is relatively accessible but not too high-level. you might not like it, but it communicates stuff and is sonically unique. you genuinely sound like the kind of person whose ideal lyrical style is Rush.

It did. Its cover is why Trump happened, exhibit 1.

lmaooooooooo fucking kek

I still really dig wesley's theory and king kunta. Also 'I' I guess. The production quality really does it for me