I only have a Big Muff pedal, but today I am going to buy my second one. What should I buy?

I only have a Big Muff pedal, but today I am going to buy my second one. What should I buy?

Other urls found in this thread:

sautershop.de/media/image/3f/70/eb/bohrschablone_drill_block_01_720x600.jpg
youtube.com/watch?v=EzLx3Ml0mKs&feature=youtu.be
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Why do you need two Big Muffs?

You know what I meant.

delay? i have one of those boss digital delay pedals but it got boring fast. get an analog maybe? or a chorus pedal. what kind of music do you play?

damn now i kind of want to get back into playing

lol no amount of pedals is going to make your shitty guitar playing sound any better

A wah

Is it better to get a bunch of pedals or an amp that does all that stuff for you?

A tuner pedal
A bunch of pedals. Amps with built in effects usually suck ass.

What kind of music do you play? Usual setup for basic rig is
-distortion/fuzz
-chorus
-delay
-EQ
-flanger/phaser
-wah pedal (optional)

an overdrive pedal

Buy an audio interface, download amplitube and save hundreds of dollars.

a russian big muff blyat

the most usable and important thing to buy would be a compressor

but let's be real, you won't be getting out the bedroom with your guitar so just buy something that makes cool noises

You only really use a compressor if you're using single coils.

Get a loop pedal. I have an RC-1. Hours and hours of jamming fun.

axefx2. I don't know why anything else is still being made.

>buying pedals to get better at guitar

Holy shit you're a fucking retard

>A tuner pedal

I get a hearty good kek any time I see someone who actually has a tuner pedal in this day and age

first one wasn't big enough

What amp and guitar do you have user? Also, what kind of sound/tone are you going for?

Hey OP. NEVER do this

Are you fucking retarded?

A tuner pedal can act as a mute during live settings. Plus it's always great to tune quickly before songs.

Phaser. Make the whoosh whoosh bwowowow sounds

>user has different opinions than me
>are you fucking retarded?

Nice

I have three big muffs, they all sound different.

From the same eras?

Ram's head or triangle?

Convenient and doesn't waste precious pedalboard space

Get a Boss/Roland Space Echo. You can sound like John Dwyer.

I literally cringe every time I see one of these on some faggots guitar during a show. I used one of these jamming with some friends once and it was inconsistent as fuck.

as opposed to...?

a dece multi fx like those zoom or line 6 ones

Buy a Rat

I'm not that guy but i use a clip on. It's about as accurate desu

Why?

100% inaccurate. Have you even been listening to music created in the last 10 years? All these shitty P4K bands just buy reverb pedals and get picked up by labels like Mexican Summer

Get an Earthquaker Talons.
I want one of their Afterneath pedals.

Nah.

I have the current NYC muff a Violet Ram's Head and a Skreddy P19 which is like a smooth big muff with a mid boost.

What's wrong with that ?

This, Rat pedals are great.

Sounds like butt

Alter Ego X4 is awesome.
Mel9 is unique
TC electronic HoF is versatile

I record my guitar with Garageband amplifiers and effects, sounds pretty good

Trade in the original Big Muff for a Wicker or Black Russian and then get a delay.

>lol no amount of pedals is going to make your shitty guitar playing sound any better

While you shouldn't buy pedals simply to compensate for being shit at guitar they WILL make you sound better, especially to non-musicians.

But it's a good idea for more novice guitarist to buy pedals early on to get an idea for the sound they want and to learn what they like and don't like (in terms of sounds, brands, pedal board orders etc.) Plus a new pedal can give you the incentive to keep playing/practicing.

Do you honestly believe a Black Russian is so superior to a regular Big Muff that it's worth just trading it in right away? Besides aren't they way more expensive?

lol, what a load of dumb bullshit

stop reading the internet for opinions and go play with other people

An EQD Hoof is pretty close to the Russian Muff without the price tag.

>axefx2. I don't know why anything else is still being made.
If it's good enough for Fripp, it's good enough for anyone. It's a shame it's so ridiculously expensive. It is sure worth it, but only a professional musician would buy one.

Anyone here DIY their pedals/amps? I've got an order of parts coming in so I can build a Vibrolux clone box, an amp, a reverb pedal, and a fuzz pedal. Gonna have fun with the projects, debating if I should leave the builds on proto boards or get PCB made for them.

What projects yall working on? Pic somewhat related, it's a circuit for a heart rate monitor I made in school.

this user has wise words

A Uni-Vibe for psychedelic vibes.

Working on my first pedal ever - the Bazz Fuss. Finally got something going on a breadboard. Now i just gotta get the right transistor and the right diode! I think PCB's should be left for some crazy shit, the Bazz Fuss is going on a protoboard since my local electronics store doesn't have stripboards.

Nice! Do you have a schematic for your build? Is it passive (transistors) or active (op amp)? Some ppl say that op amps sound like shit but that was like mid 00's, now they don't clip as bad and make for some super easy and awesome sounding circuits!

if you're interested in more stuff like that look up madbean, this dude has all the boards for his different designs for sale (

N00b here. I want to sound like Adam Jones from Tool. What amps/pedals do I need?

Depends on what you want.
Here's how I'd look at it:
Does your amp have a good distortion in it? If no, then get a good distortion pedal. I recommend a JHS Angry Charlie or the JHS Andy Timmons.
Does your amp have built in reverb? If no, then get a reverb pedal. Neunaber Immersr is dopr, but a Boss RV6 works just as well.

If your amp has both a reverb and good gain sound, then get some kind of effects pedal. Earthquaker Devices makes really interesting stuff, same with Strymon. Just look around online and watch videos, go to your local shop and try stuff out until you find something that you like.

marshall stack, OCD, crybaby

>Does your amp have a good distortion in it? If no, then get a good amp
ftfy

If his amp is something like a Victory V40 or a Traynor Iron Horse, both of which have great clean tones but no distortion, then he should get a distortion pedal. Not a whole new amp.

Is the PI9 as good as everyone says it is?

i built my entire board myself (except tuner), pic related is what i started with.
-zen overdrive
-rat distortion
-angel chorus
-d'lay

wasn't a board back then and i don't have any pics of its current state on me but additions sincethen:
- factory fuzz
- dual voice filter
- puls tremolo
- tri-vibe
- small time delay

building a phaser right now but the set of matched transistors was missing so waiting on that. i'm also building a transistor-amp atm which i hope will still sound sweet but otherwise will be a novelty-project.

mods so far: removed the gate and comp-pots on the factory cause i never used them anyway and i could fit it in a smaller case that way. same for the dual voice filter, removed the pre/post-clip-switches on the filters and the gain-clipping-switch. i don't use it for distortion, just for sound-coloring, make sweet fuckin sexy overtones and feedbacks that soar through the room. i fuckin love that thing, it's my favorite pedal by far.

plans for the future: i wanted the small time delay to replace the d'lay on my board cause it has tails, but although it sounds fuckin great it's sound is actually too clean for some of the stuff i do w/ the dvf, so i want to bring the grit and dirt of the d'lay back into the chain. also the d'lay has infinite repeats which is great for noisy shit. my plan is to put both in one pedal and have three switches to switch both off and on simultaneously or just one. should be sweet.

plans for the future: add more shit to make crazy noises, signal-splitting stuff and am currently planning my first original circuits to make noises and noises and noises and then some more noises. i fuckin love it and it saved me a shitton of money

Here's the schematic, but I connected stuff together via looking at perf board layouts. I can see how it transfers over to a schematic. I think this is passive, altrough I'm inept about electronics and you can correct me on that.

Thanks i'll check out that mad bean guy.

Crybaby, Tube Screamer, Phase 90, Delay, Smartgate

Awesome stuff man!! The only thing that worries me about making my own is putting them in a housing that doesn't look like shit. What tools do you need to drill and stuff? Also, do you make your boxes mono or stereo? I feel like for a phaser or something stereo is a necessity but for an amp not so much. Thoughts?

thank you!
the housing will look as shit as you make it look! that's a blessing and a curse. i play a cheap-ass guitar and my band plays some really noisy brand of rock, so the slapped-together look of the pedals fits the whole asthetic pretty well. if however you want them not to look like you made em yourself you'll have to put more work in. but it's still as rewarding, only more time-consuming, potentially more frustrating when you start out. check out some vids of diy-pedals on youtube, there's not as much to making a pedal look professional as you might think.

for drilling i am lucky enough to have acces to a drill press, but if you don't have that and are short on cash a stencil like this one should suffice:
sautershop.de/media/image/3f/70/eb/bohrschablone_drill_block_01_720x600.jpg

look for diecast enclosures, preferably aluminium (lasts forever, plastic on the other hand... well). you got a good base to work with, you can stick stuff on there to make it look nice, and other than that drilling the holes is all you'll have to do.

as of now i'm going all-mono but i hear ya. it really depends on what you do. my cabinet (4x12) is switched to mono right now cause i'm not doing anything stereo-wise, but that too will most likely change some time in the future. like you say stereo on a phaser is really cool, but there's also the possibility of putting entirely different signals/mixes on the left and right channel and make them come together in the room to create a different sound, than if you were to mix them into a mono-signal.. so many possibilities. in the end you just have to try out the stuff that interests you, and each new pedal makes for some new song-ideas as well so just go for it and see where it takes ya is what i'd say

>about as accurate

>Rat
holy shit, this takes me back to when i used to read the guitar center catalogs that i got in the mail

>posts anime
>opinion immediately dicarded

I get the Sweetwater catalogs biannually

they usually have some good pedals in there

Sure it does, kid.

seconded
i have a rat and a big muff and running the rat into the muff sounds killer

MEMORY BOY

Fucking lel

Just get more distortion pedals. Those are the only fun ones.

Metal Muff because the big muff sounds like shit.

fuck you

BOSS DD7

GLOU GLOU

buy an oldblood noise pedal. procession or reflector. check out their youtube thing "COFFEE AND RIFFS" for more pedal suggestions and sounds

It's amazing if you want smooth leads, best pedal I've tried for that. It takes away some of the grittiness that you would expect with a typical big muff but it's worth it for that beautiful lead tone.

>BOSS DD7
>not buying MXR Carbon Copy

C'mon son

no tap tempo, nigger. had both, DD7 is superior

If you don't have a lot of money right now, and you're not sure what kind of effects you want, I'd say you should get an amp with effects built in or a multi fx pedal.

Once you play around with it for a while, you'll start to realize what kind of effects you like and want to use a lot, and which you don't. Then, you'll start to realize how shitty they sound in your multi fx/amp, and you can go and replace each effect one-by-one until all the things you want to have sound good, and all the things you never use are scrapped.

Also I'm pretty sure this has only been mentioned once which is god damn ridiculous

Loopers are tight as fuck. I have a dl4 and it is easily my most used pedal. I also have an RC2 but I only really use that when I'm playing multiple instruments and plan to do a lot of overdubbing (dl4 is only really good for small things because it only has a 14 second loop and no undo and earlier recordings disappear the more you overdub, but it is really easy to use and the double time/halftime/reverse functions are tight)

Get an overdrive, either a TS style pedal or even better, an OD with and EQ of some kind. If you ever play live, the Muff kinda gets lost in the mix, but if you run a drive in front of it, you'll cut through better. Personally I'm not a big fan of tube screamers/TS clones, they have this unpleasant clanky sound especially with single coils (I have a Jaguar), so I use a sparkle drive mod

I wonder what three Bug Muffs with a high treble distortion would sound like with a bass...

lol
big muff+pitchshift delay+theramin is the patrician choice

omg is that you death grips?

Having experimented with pedals for 26 years, including a decade of trying to not use them at all, I'd highly recommend either a compressor or an EQ. I use an MXR Dyna Comp and an MXR 10 band EQ. There may be other better ones out there. I like the EQ because it's 10 band unlike a lot of the others that are only 7. I also like the compression because it's simple. Guitar only occupies a limited frequency band and the Dyna Comp is tailored to that band. Never knew how much bigger my guitar could sound until I comp'ed it and boosted it with the EQ.

After that, wah. Crybaby 535Q gives you a lot of wah tone options.

nah, I ripped it off from this band I saw at a free show in Austin
not really my kind of music, but very original to say the least
youtube.com/watch?v=EzLx3Ml0mKs&feature=youtu.be