Movies like this? This wasn't amazing, but it's the type of thing I'd like to relax, smoke and watch tonight

Movies like this? This wasn't amazing, but it's the type of thing I'd like to relax, smoke and watch tonight.

So I guess, looking for a good sci-fi (but not too sci-fi) decent budget film. Any suggestions?

Other urls found in this thread:

theguardian.com/film/2013/oct/08/snowpiercer-director-english-cuts-bong-joon-ho
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Also, already saw The OA and Stranger Things, which are right in line with what I'm looking for even if they and Interstellar weren't completely amazing.

Have you seen Mr Robot? It's a really interesting series about hacking

What's the OA?

I thought Interstellar was awesome.

2001 space Odyssey.
It's dated as fuck and long, but it's kind of like an older interstellar with better writing

That's one I've heard about a lot. Also I've seen Black Mirror which I liked quite a bit. Mr. Robot is on a normie channel right? But maybe available on Netflix/Hulu/Amazon/etc?

The OA is like some girl who was kidnapped and tells her story, but it's got a lot of sci-fi type elements. The final episode was kind of a dud, but I enjoyed the ride. It just came out on Netflix a few weeks ago.

Have you seen Europa Report?

I wouldn't say it's dated.. Honestly would never have guessed that movie was from 1968 the first time watching it.

Shit man, I'm actually an old (33) and have just never gotten around to watching that. I know it's regarded as a classic and an amazing film, that's a good idea.

Truly the greatest movie of all time. Shit, I don't even consider it a movie, it's just fucking art

you HAVE to watch this
your brain will explode
youtube.com/watch?v=SgCxCZNkQ9E

The first season is on Amazon Prime Video, the rest I watched on Popcorn Time though it was the TV version and was censored.

So is 2001: A Space Odyssey available on any streaming platforms? I've got HBO/Hulu/Netflix/Amazon

The signal is pretty cool

OP here, this was another one I liked a lot. I love sci-fi that feels as if it's grounded in reality and isn't like crazy over the top.

Im asking you to trust me on this Op, but Cloud Atlas. Watch it alone, and watch it at night. One of the greatest movies ive ever seen. god tier.

Primer was fantastic.

Definitely a move to watch alone, without being disturbed or distracted.

The Expanse is definitely like this.

Maybe Firefly if you like the space redneck aspect of Interstellar.

This 2001 is really Art. Shit Ric Flairs music comes from this movie. Alien also if you like these kind of movies

Cool, Tom Hanks and Halle Barry? That sounds pretty legit for this genre. I definitely loved the production values that Interstellar had being a more 'professional' movie.

watch the martian, it is great

So to recap, including the movies I recommended:

Primer
Interstellar
Mr. Robot
2001: A Space Odyssey
Cloud Atlas
The Expanse
Black Mirror
Europa Report
Metropolis

Seems like a pretty legit list, feel free to continue to add. There isn't really a genre for this type of movie, but I get the tenuous grasp between them all.

Saw that one in the theatre actually. It's definitely more of a popcorn flick compared to most in this thread, but I really enjoyed it!

Seen Moon?

Try watching the TV series Traveler. It's one of the best things on television. If you liked Primer, Traveler has the same aesthetic.

Didn't one of the Wachowskis still have a penis when they made that?

This is one of my favourite sci-fi movies, OP. Only the theme kinda changes towards the end, I still recommend it for the visuals and the awesome soundtrack. Have watched it plenty of times while stoned and it's always a pleasure.

Sunshine

imdb.com/title/tt0448134/

if you want to watch pretty much anything go to 123movies.to, thats where i watch everything

Never heard of Moon or Traveler, this is a treasure trove of a thread. I think I'm going to make the gf watch Primer tonight since it's basically the length of a Black Mirror episode, but then I want to jump on some of these new ones.

Cloud Atlast and Arrival

What about shit like Snowpiercer? That seemed to have a lot of hype and then fall into the dumpster. I loved Children of Men and that sort of post-apocalyptic thing, but I guess that's sort of straying from my initial ask.

That's a good one

Is there a good way to tell where to find these movies? Like rather than typing them into Netflix then typing them into HBO or whatever?

Also, you guys kicked ass with recommendations. I've only been lurking here for a year or so, but this is the only thread I've ever made that has had any traction.

I really liked Primer. It is slow and there isn't really any action at all, but its kind of a mindfuck trying to understand what they are doing.

You have to watch it twice to really get it. I don't want to spoil anything, but from almost the very start things are a lot more complex than it seems. You don't realize that the first time through the movie.

Are you looking to torrent or just watch online?

Have you seen sphere? Great classic underwater sci Fi one of my favorites. And I loved snow piercer fellow mentioned it a minute ago and it should be on Netflix entirely under the radar but wonderful film. Also Mr. Robot as mentioned before is fantastic , and pandorum is pretty cool if you haven't seen it, alien styled horror film pretty fun though.

I have money and subs to Hulu, Cinemax, Netflix, HBO, and Amazon, so I was hoping a lot of these would be on there, but worst case scenario I guess I could just rent them,

What happened to Snowpiercer is the Weinsteins bought the US distribution rights, then refused to release it unless it's recut to remove the class warfare subtext and turn it into a meaningless action flick. The director has refused, and rather than let the public see a film which is critical of the rich, the Weinsteins have buried the film and eaten the cost.

Oh shit and Cube definitely worth a watch kinda under budgeted Canadian film but fantastic idea.

Holy shit yes! That's an old one and a good one! I read the book as a teenager and still loved the movie, great call for the genre we've been talking about.

I saw this on public access as a kid and later a free showing where the projected it in a park. It's a great film and representative of the chechen struggle I believe.

I would also recommend Solaris but the original Russian one.

I hated snowpiercer. I understand the entire movie is a metaphor, but I still thought it was so fucking stupid it was insulting to my intelligence.

All the rich people eat steak for 30+ years
Not a single live cow on the train

The train is constantly driving for 30+ years and every hour or so hitting ice on the rails ALMOST derailing... for 30 fucking years 24/7...

I don't want to give away too many spoilers, but you must suspend all disbelief and accept that it makes no fucking sense in order to enjoy it.

I get it that it is supposed to be a metaphor for the classes of society, poor in back, rich up front, and it is a fight to advance even a little bit up the social ladder. Doesn't change the fact it doesn't make any sense...
I didn't like it.

>interstellar
>budget film

I haven't seen the new Oldboy, but I assume this is what happened to that movie as well. I didn't realize snowpiercer was an adaptation.

Contact with Jody foster

"decent budget"

but yeah, I get it lol

That's fair dude I've heard that same issue from tons of people, and I'm not going to fight you on it because you're right, but If you're like me and just watch movies to distract and entertain then it's still worth a watch, I'm not overly critical of movies or media, I take it as it is, most of the time mindless distractions from reality.

Buried it? I watched it on HBO.

The new one sucked if you liked the original, still one of my all time favorite movies and trilogy.

This, but also, I can't tolerate people who say they watch bullshit like the big bang theory because they don't have to think. The suspension of disbelief has to hit at least some sort of threshold.

Hahahah I'm glad someone enjoyed that as much as I did I've never met anyone else who has seen it.

I still can't believe that dude sucked down TWO octopi and was a vegetarian.

I haven't seen the new one and probably won't, just not worth the time at this point. Especially with the great recommendations in this thread.

Oh god I would never watch big bang, which is a good point I should explain my meaning, I don't watch drivel but if a good story and plot exists in an otherwise unbelievable world I'll still enjoy it for the thought, I just try not to hate for the silly stuff. It's like the time machine by hg. He explains how it works through bullshit, you know it's stupid but atleast he tried and the story is still fantastic. So I enjoy it.

I don't mind unrealistic stuff in movies as long as they don't try to explain it.

Star wars does a good job of that. How do they go faster than light? Who cares... They just do.

Or in the oroginal Jurassic Park, when they are watching that instructional video on how the Dinosaurs were created genetically they got bored with the video and walked out, they wanted to see the live dinosaurs. It was a great way for them to gloss over the details of the genetics. All we knew was frog DNA was mixed in. They didn't try to ruin it by explaining it.

Snowpiercer trys to explain it. And I can't help but notice it doesn't make any sense.

theguardian.com/film/2013/oct/08/snowpiercer-director-english-cuts-bong-joon-ho

And live right, I can't imagine how terrible that would feel haha

Again totally fair, and you are right, but I appreciate sci Fi movies trying to follow the same rhetoric sci Fi writers have to follow. And the novum should be explained even if loosely to help create a richer world. But either way if it's fun and isn't totally idiotic I'll let it slide.

Oh shit...brain fart. Sorry.

I tried to post two different gifs of him eating the octopus and got rejected by the 2MB limit, then tried to post just a link to all the pictures and Sup Forums said I was posting spam lol

Clearly you can't read / decipher english very well.

2001: A Space Odyssey

It's a classic, but man is it a slow paced movie. I enjoyed it, but it is hard for me to watch over again because it is so long and slow and I know what will happen.

Enjoyed it the first time though.

I don't understand how you *wouldn't* think Stranger Things and Interstellar are amazing. Or 2001 Space Odyssey for that matter

In my opinion, that shit is top tier sci fi.

bump