The Films of Wes Anderson

So I'd like to talk about his movies, or rather why I don't like them.

I know Sup Forums has the "I bet you like the films of wes anderson" meme and mostly this seems to want to imply that OP is a lonely lovesick semi-liberal upper middle class white male but I don't feel like there's much discussion about why Anderson is bad.

I personally used to like his movies when I was 15-18 but then I stopped paying much attention to him after watching the Fantastic Mr. Fox. I came back to him after Grand Budapest Hotel got all that critical acclaim and I really had like fundamental problems with it that were hard to vocalize. I then went back and looked at a number of his other movies and I think I have a better grip on why I now dislike his films.

1. They all seem to be simple coming of age stories but with misanthropic overaged children.

2. His compositional, writing, and set design styles are just too fucking "cute". I think it trivializes some of the more serious elements he attempts to throw into his movies.

Honestly there might be more but I don't know. As it stands though, I think his best films are Moonrise Kingdom and Rushmore simply because they actually are about children coming of age.

Ibetyoulikethefilmsofwesanderson

I actually like his movies a lot. I think the reason most people hate on him is just that he's popular.

He's an absolute master technically

He has brilliant use of Color

His films touch on a deep emotional level.

Just get over.

>Wes Anderson is not British
>He's actually Texan

mind blown

This, his movies are filled with unique loveable characters. I don't know anyone who does 'good quirky' better.

He also choose the best somber soundtracks.

>He's an absolute master technically
No. He's not. He get's this reputation because he uses symmetrical composition and that's literally it. In fact, I find his use of the same couple camera moves constantly incredibly distracting. He's okay, probably spielberg level but nowhere near a "master"

>He has brilliant use of Color
Having a color pallette for your movies and using lots of pastels does not euqate to having "brilliant use of color". He has never in any movie used color to actually mean anything to the characters. It's all pretty set design.

>His films touch on a deep emotional level.
This is subjectiuve obviously, but I'm going to suggest that if you identify with his characters and are over the age of 22 you are probably a trash human being. You should have grown up by leaving college.

>a director is creatively unique
>this means its bad because cute sets = me not understanding the film

>unique loveable characters
I'm not sure what you mean by them being unique. They mostly seem to be lonely depressed rich people who are past their prime except for moonrise kingdom.

>let me make retarded assumptions on no basis whatsoever simply because im bitter

isnt this kinda just an opinion though? like how can anyone have a list of what makes a "unique lovable character"

this is basically something that just depends on the person watching the film

Production design over uninteresting characters

All of his characters have good actors but under perform with sly and dry acting

Too focused on his quirks with the framing of shots and his dolly moves

The plots are not really interesting

>I've never seen the films that inspired him and inform his directorial approach yet here's my unqualified opinion

seriously wtf is that

>I think it trivializes some of the more serious elements he attempts to throw into his movies.
That's the point.

I'm not saying it's supposed to be bad. It's supposed to make you feel weird. There's a special feeling you get watching an old hack put his ego before the wonderful things around him, as in Life Aquatic.

Unique is the operative word here. I think all of the Wes Anderson main characters are pretty samey.

Like, what is the real difference between Royal Tenebaum and Steve Zissou or Herman Blume.

Budapest hotel is slightly more unique and Moonrise Kingdom is literally children even though the main kid in that is essentially the same as Max from Rushmore.

ah yeah i see what you mean now

maybe the other user was referring to them being unique as in "different from characters you see in other movies"

I have indeed seen Harold and Maude, Day for Night, and The River. Thanks for asking.

I don't think that the characters in other movies worth watching are nearly as samey as his.

Maybe they are unique compared to the archetypes that get overused in trash movies though.

I just want to say. I don't think he's the worst director or anything but he's essentially doing what tarantino does but for european art house movies.

im so happy other people think his shit is shit. I hate my friends who think his movies are good. what the fuck is their problem

His movies were good until he ran out of Salinger to copy.

I have a hope that when the rest of Salinger's work is released Wes will start making good movies again.

His films almost feel like stage plays. It gives the sense that the people are being directed from off screen, and I like that.

Why does he hate dogs so much?

Did a little yorkie bark at him when he was a kid?

>Hates dogs
>Is making a stop motion film all about dogs
What?