I want to get into Phil Elverum and have only heard pic related. What should I listen to next?

I want to get into Phil Elverum and have only heard pic related. What should I listen to next?

Other urls found in this thread:

pwelverumandsun.bandcamp.com/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

More poppy - Don't Wake Me Up
More Experimental - Mount Eerie
More of the same but less sad and less experimental - It was hot, we stayed in the water
then listen to mount eerie's discography chronologically

It Was Hot, We Stayed In The Water, then Mount Eerie, then explore Mount Eerie's albums

Well tell us what you thought about this album, idiot

I want to know as well, does he have a more noisy rock album?
not OP but this was my first listen as well, I love the album and the mansion is my favorite song

If you want to have good taste in music you'll just give up now

why can't you just interact with people amicably like a regular person

your pretentious elitism is distasteful

OP here. I started to really like it after several listens. My favorite songs are The Glow Pt.2, The Gleam Pt.2, I Want Wind To Blow, and The Mansion.

phil is my favorite musician

i really like the album mount eerie, i'll be honest the first track is a fucking slog what with like 11 minutes of drums, but after that it's a really good song and the rest of the album is great. it might take a few listens but it'll grow on you

what's everyone's favorite mount eerie release?

i fucking love Dawn

Please do not neglect the Microphone's other body of work. Window, Song Islands and Big Black Cloud are all very good albums that I'd give a go after It Was Hot and Mount Eerie.
>He doesn't appreciate the deliberately slow pacing of Elverum albums
How about you stop enjoying his work because clearly you have completely misunderstood his musical brilliance and merely """enjoy""" the albums.

i unironically love the drums at the beginning. they sonically come out of no where and they sound like tribal
mount eerie for me is a perfect album

>elitism
>pretentious
Why do you think discussion of music is elitist and pretentious? I'm not trying to put you down, but did you finish high school? I've never met a succesful and ambitious person who enjoyed the Microphones, literally everyone who has enjoyed that I know spins their wheels in the same rut they have since they were teenagers, bogged down by the weight of their own poor life choices. Feel free to discuss this further with me.

you probably want it was hot, we stayed in water then

>"If you want to have good taste in music you'll just give up now"
>discussion of music
pick one

>How about you stop enjoying his work
no

it's good and i appreciate it but i'm a hihg speed nigga and i have to skip the drums or i get sad

>my anecdotal experience is representative of the whole

after a few listens and letting it ruminate with me, one of the songs on dawn made me cry.

That is discussion of music, you imbecile. If you want to further your knowledge and preferences in music or taste you'll give up on trying to listen to The Microphones and find another avenue to indulge yourself.

>Feel free to discuss this further with me
fuck off tripfaggot

It is. Prove me wrong.

this post is barely coherent

Do you need me to re word my post so you can understand it?

what about all the constant mainstream music reviewers who like them, they are pretty successful in their own right

I live a fairly successful life, and I adore the Glow Pt 2

Post your favorite albums

just ignore him. Trying to have a persona on a nippon fishwrangling board is cringe worthy. No one here gives a shit about tripfaggots and no one in the real world takes any of this seriously

Your posts aren't memorable/intellectually stimulating enough to require an identifier. In years to come no one will remember you for your insights about music, you will never forget mine.

Sure, give me a few minutes to make a list, I don't usually do this kind of stuff. Takes a bit to narrow everything down. Probably only going to do like 5 albums for now
Reviewers are people too, their opinion means no more than yours or mine just they found a way to capitalize on their opinions. Being a critic is more about being a writer than it is a certified objective opinion, it's not like being a doctor.
This website is viewed by thousands of people daily, do you really think no of them takes any of this with them after they turn away from the screen? Believe it or not by posting here, or anywhere else online, you give yourself the power to influence the thoughts of others.

you are important

1. Brian Eno - Another Green World
2. Herbie Hancock - Maiden Voyage
3. Neil Young - Rust Never Sleeps
4. John McLaughlin - Devotion
5. Incredible String Band - Hangman's Beautiful Daughter

So are you, you just choose not live to your full potentional.

fag with shit taste, bet you're fat

show me how you do then prove that i don't

Another Green World is good
Maiden voyage isn't even the best herbie album nigga
>rust never sleeps
>not even live rust
jesus christ
grow up dude. that music has just as much weight as phil's and there are definitely better albums than the ones you posted

Give me one solid reason, I don't care what it is, why those albums deem my taste shit. My reason for disliking The Microphones was because their music is associated with people who hold themselves back, now I want to hear why my taste is so bad.

those albums suck because you like them.
that's pretty much what you are saying about the microphones
>judging music based on people who like it and not on the music itself
literally drop the trip

I fucking love The Microphones and I have a Ph.D in Chemical Engineering and I work a steady, well paying job. Guaranteed my life is hundreds of times better than yours.

>me responding to obvious b8

I would really love to hear how any of these albums indicate that the listener is a successful person vs Mount Eerie listeners

Literally everyone in this thread is replying to me right now. It took one post of mine to take over this entire thread, everyone could have ignored it. I could do this in any thread. That alone, in the context of an online forum should mean that I'm on to something. As for my personal life, I make an effort to take care of myself not to impose upon others, follow my dreams and progress my career in every way I can, and maintain strong relationships with friends and family. That, as far as I'm concerned, is what the human experience is all about, thus while living modestly I am living to full pitentional, happy within my own existence. I don't know enough about you to say exactly why you aren't living to full your potential, I just know you aren't confident enough in your thoughts to attach an identifier to them so they can be instantly recognized and recalled by others, especially when you don't have anything to lose by using a name, it's not like you lose any actual anonymity.

There's exceptions to everything I guess, I'm glad you've done well for yourself. Still you feel the need to make yourself look bigger, which indicates some level of insecurity. Especially when the post you are replying to asks the person replying to discuss it further, not to argue and boast. Clearly something I said hurt or threatened some part of you and for that I apologize.

yes but everyone can see how stupid it is when you post. no one gives a shit about you online so it really doesn't matter about your identity at all. go to reddit if you want to have an account. you really cannot judge people based on what music they listen to. if we did, i could say that you are a rym poser that cares too much about his identity and being known for what music he listens to.

Herbie has a lot of great albums, I grew up with Maiden Voyage so it holds a special place in my heart. Honestly I prefer his fusion stuff, but I always come back to Maiden Voyage so I put it on there. Same goes with Rust Never Sleeps, was one of the first albums I truly loved and was an album I share a lot of memories of my father with. Neil has tons of great albums, that's just one of them.

but we can make baseless claims about who you are based on those two albums?
that's the claim you are asserting in this thread with the microphones

I don't think what I post is stupid, I have confidence in the value of my thoughts. If you are to read my posts, I'm clearly trying to steer OP in the direction of music that will contain more value for him. It's true, I provided no recommendations, but I did provide reasoning as to why it might be worthwhile passing on The Microphones. I did not judge people solely based on what they listen to, I judged them on how they chose to live their life. Also I haven't given up any of my anonymity by using this name, I think those that choose to stay nameless use their anonymity as a way to mask their insecurities . Who am I? You don't know, you never will. I can still say anything I want, and do so full well knowing that everyone who reads my post will remember my post by the identifier 'Zardoz'. How they remember them means nothing to me, positive or negative.

I made claims about people I know first hand who are major Microphones fans, I've known quite a few and they have all been that way.

eh he's just defending the band he likes on a music forum by responding to ur claim

bump

>Guaranteed my life is hundreds of times better than yours
He could have phrased his thought in a significantly less antagonistic way. Imagine someone in real life saying that to you, are they just defending their favourite band or are they defending their way of life?

we could also say that you use a trip to validate yourself. to feed into your ego. that has the same amount of validity as saying we post as user because we are "insecure." furthermore not giving recommendations and chastising OP is further proof that you are not here to "steer" OP into something with a more positive worldview but rather to jerk your ego to the thought that you have a higher way of life.
there is literally nothing in this post about how troubled he is or anything. he was just wondering what other mount eerie fans thought because hey you know what, it's fun to discuss music. you make it into something it is not
just because you some people that fit into your diagnosis doesn't mean everyone does. i enjoy Neil Young, Herbie Hancock, Brian Eno, and The Microphones and as soon as you learn to appreciate music as opposed to judging it based on the people who listen to, you will have a better grasp on music and not the social lubricate you use to facilitate your boring personality. there's an assumption i made of you similar to your own

I could whip out my cock and start rubbing it on your mums face at thanksgiving. I'm breddy sure everyone going to start paying attention to me. Am I on to something? Yes: Autism. Gratz on your full potential Zardo

I can't decide if I like Mount Eerie or The Glow, Pt 2 more. They're both so good.

Yeah Zardoz, if you poo poo everything you don't like right away you're just missing out on a lot of stuff.

mount eerie for the sonic landscape
glow part two for the feels
i hold the glow part two close because it resonated with me first
mount eerie is in my opinion the only perfect album

>Still you feel the need to make yourself look bigger

OH THE IRONING

Hmmm, I do enjoy me some Incredible String Band.

i think i BTFO outta him. I mean i don't even get a response?
i redirect the thread to this question
clear moon is great too

There's several things I have to tackle in this post, if I forget something let me know. First off, I agree that you could say I use my identifier to feed my ego. To an extant I do. It's my ego and I can do whatever I please with it, and if I have the option to feed it rather than starve it I'll choose feed simply because I can. As far as I'm concerned it means about as much as being another anonymous, you know nothing of me and never will. It's not like I can take credit for anything I post here, no one will believe I am who I am. So using my trip basically allows me to stroke my ego while simultaneously allow for my opinions to archived in both individual memory and actual online archives of this forum. There's really no reason not to have a trip, unless you don't think your thoughts are worthy of being archived. I just get a laugh out of it really, like everyone gets instantly angry for me using a name but can't look away, it actual increases my power over this forum and it's users, simply for that reason. That's enough for now about my reasoning on using a trip name. As for OP, he was actually asking to be spoon fed the next album he should listen to, not discuss it. My blanket statements about Microphones fans were more of an attempt at discussion than OP made.
I don't know how to reply to the second half of your post other than that I don't use music as a "social lubricant" and have no need to. I never even said Microphones fans were bad people, I said they don't live to their fullest, that doesn't mean I hate them it means I wish them to do better. Anyway, your right, don't judge a book by it's cover. But it's worth mentioning first impressions are often right.

boring ass blog post im not reading that shit, ctfuuuuuu

False equivalency. Go make a trip and just act like an idiot in any thread, see if you can take it over like me.

your stupid

Lost Wisdom, definitely

A Crow Looked At Me is rapidly growing on me though

i mean if that's all that's on tv....

Don't reply to several of my posts, discussing several different topics and expect a simple sentence or two long reply.

Anybody can make ad hominem attacks and trigger people.

Just try it, it takes like two minutes to make a trip and post with it. You have nothing to lose.

yes thats what im doing

Tripfags should be summarily executed.

i think our perceptions of the OP are totally different. i see his question asking for what the general consensus is regarding the microphones. this could be misconstrued as spoonfeeding but it's more music related than your assertion as the beginning of the thread that listening to the microphones is bad for your music taste which a stupid statement because music is subjective
as far as the trip code, if you want to use it that's up to you. i honestly don't even notice when people use trips unless they make objective sounding shitposts. i don't really give a shit about what i say on Sup Forums because honestly i have no online personality. I find it more fulfilling to have real life experiences as opposed to this discourse between you and i that is fleeting. it really doesn't matter what music people listen to and that fact that you think it does just shows that you are an immature music listener that must attach his identity to something that ultimately doesn't matter. it's like when you donate something in the name of charity. you can either attach your ego and go "wow look at how nice i am. i matter." or you can go "hey i actually care about being altruistic with no payoff"
tripsfags are generally hated because of how they enter in discussion as higher than thou, as you are doing right now in this thread. you aren't adding to the discussion. just your ego. you could have easily moved onto another thread in which you have an interest in.

Honestly no they can't. If it's so easy then do it and report back. There's literally no reason not to. If you can and do, I will not argue this further, I'll even say you are right and that you won.

?

Correct, that is exactly what you are doing
I'm confused as to what you are confused about. Make a trip, post in any random thread, take it over as I have done this one, screenshot/link to it to prove me wrong.
I'm going to reply to this one in a minute, I've got to get something to eat

do I have to continually respond to every post so there's no way to be ignored too? it's not like you disrupted a Senate hearing, dude. you literally just triggered some 15 - 25 year olds on a music discussion board.

Wew laddy don't cut yourself on all that edge. Wouldn't want your mom to worry about you.

>Going to the senate
>Engaging in that shitshow

I don't know who would want to do that but life is much more fun from the peanut gallery imo

reported, enjoy your ban

Okay everyone, I'm back. Got some cold mac and cheese and pizza.

I'm offering you a chance to end this, if it's so easy prove me wrong.

That's part of it my man, like you can't just let a discussion die after one post. It's social dynamics, take your cues where necessary just like in real life.

After reading this I'm dedicating a whole post just for this one so it'll still be a bit before I reply

it's rare you ever see someone with aspergers carrying such an inflated sense of self importance

This is my first time posting in this thread. Idgaf about what your arguing about. I'm enjoying all this massive fedora party going on

I wish I could talk to you in person, you sound like an intelligent person, we'd probably get along. Also I hate typing these long posts. I was going to argue with the first part of your post, but as I was typing it I realized I was wrong. I was antagonistic at the beginning of this thread, and while I maintain that OP was requesting to be spoon fed my *first* was less about music than his. This is a fact. It's true music is subjective, but do you honestly think people who adore Blood on the Dance Floor's opinion is as valuable as yours and wish to be seen in the same league as them? I don't question the subjectivity of music preference, however social archetypes and group mindsets are objective. Unfortunately art gets associated with certain groups, however this is not a reason to dislike the art. I never once said the Microphones were bad. I said they're associated with unsuccessful people and that you are better off using attention elsewhere. Now to the trip code thing. I use my trip as a way to make my interactions on here less fleeting. By using the trip, I make our conversations memorable, identifiable. Because of my trip, our conversation is easily to locate in the archives. It's not so fleeting because it doesn't disappear when we get off Sup Forums. I know I'm missing something, call me out on it man

>I said they're associated with unsuccessful people
thats correlation, not causation. listening to Phil doesn't make someone lazy or unsuccessful.

Thanks, the only reason this thread is still alive is because of me

It's 110% put on. It's like I'm acting, people respond best to inflated over the top characters,so to draw that response out of people I do this. If I was just another user posting "listen to this album!" Or even just an user posting "your taste is shit" I'd be ignored, but because of my trip, larger than life persona and blunt statements I've taken over this thread while maintaining a discussion about subjectivity and the nature of how we enjoy music and about the place anonymity holds in the online world. Something that far exceeds the original intention of this thread.

>be exceedingly distasteful
>"it was just an act im doing characters guys sheesh"

Never said it did, however it's possible OP may become unambitous through of association with people that are. He could obtain that association through mutual enjoyment of the music.

>tfw you realize Samurai Sword is about receiving a mortal injury, and My Warm Blood is about bleeding out in the snow remembering sounds of other tracks on the album

Not really, it's not a character. Everything I'm saying I mean. I'm just playing an exaggerated version of myself, pushing my own character to the extreme to create one that is over the top. I didn't intend that post to be damage control in the slightest, I have no regrets. Also I've gotten less distasteful and antagonistic as the thread has progressed.

Yo for those who don't know all of Phil's stuff is on his bandcamp. Some of the newer stuff that he wants to sell is song restricted, but the old stuff's all there.

pwelverumandsun.bandcamp.com/

O_O

That's really deep user whoa

I've been listening to live in copenhagen a bunch lately at night. Try it out, his him and a guitar live. Doesn't really play much of glow pt. 2 but there's some gr8 tracks

Black Wooden Ceiling Opening or Sauna. Wind's Poem is great as well.

The drums to me sound like a reaaaally long opening credits scene, with vague action going on underneath, and then the movie really starts.

If narrator "Phil" dies in glow pt.2 then what the fuck is up with mount eerie and the whole big black death thing?

Your taste is basic sadboy "david foster wallace was dope, you seen 'end of the tour'" shit.
>all rock albums and one token entry-level jazz lp

too early to say crow, so i'll agree with dawn

I know for a fact you're talking about yourself, and I hope you get past whatever's fucking you up and cheer up one day soon

Extremely low energy bait, sub 90 IQ mongoloid detected

Learn to spell you brain dead probable slav

>opening of the moon
I could literally listen to it for days, it's so beautiful and nostalgic