Holy shit this album is amazing. Castle Walls is underrated as fuck

Holy shit this album is amazing. Castle Walls is underrated as fuck

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=oukVH0N1xMc
youtube.com/watch?v=H-rdL2KkvzY
youtube.com/watch?v=mI2ej_ctM9I
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Pieces of Eight [A&M, 1978]

Wanna know why Starcastle are heavying it up? They want to go platinum just like Styx. Fortunately, they haven't yet gotten around to the cathedral organ. C-

Styx are definitely a bottom five 70s band. Dennis DeYoung's voice alone is enough to earn them that spot.

Why does christgau hate music

Styx isn't music though.

Did you know that the master tapes for their first album got wiped, hence there will never be a remaster?

The "best" parts on that album are just shitty Yes ripoffs, why don't you just listen to Yes instead?

which album?

Tommy Shaw's songs aren't bad, Dennis DeYoung's songs are almost unlistenable.

>The "best" parts on that album are just shitty Yes ripoffs
Correct. Americans and prog do not mix.

I don't always agree with him, but he sure got it right on Styx and Journey.

Definitely Fragile, then move on to the Yes Album and Close to the Edge

the Muse of the 70's desu

So there arent any redeemable styx or journey albums?

I argree with you OP. The Grand Illusion is a fun album and the songs played absolutely great "live" I saw Styx on the Equinox tour and Also on the Gran Illusion tour. Styx never labeled themselves "prog". The term wasn't widely used to my knowledge in 70's and it was just considered Rock and Roll....all the sub genres came later just to pigeonhole bands. In the 70's Styx had a huge following and the Grand Illusion was probably their best album. I liked it much better then Cornerstone or Pieces of Eight..

Angel were the superior pomp rock band.

youtube.com/watch?v=oukVH0N1xMc

>In the 70's Styx had a huge following

Seems like the professional music critics were not impressed with them.

my dad claims he saw them in chicago back when they were known at TW4

also he met DDY at one of those trade show concerts and he said he was a dick, but his wife was cute

Name exact moments where this happens or you're lying.

christgau is a cunt, even if i do agree with some of the stuff he says

My dad said he remembered this one critic in (forget the magazine) shitting on Ted Nugent. He couldn't understand what the guy's problem was as Ted released one kickass album after another.

Critics are supposed to promote music of taste, not shitty buttrock for white trash teenagers.

Very good album.

British prog is pretentious and boring af.
Styx, Kansas, Rush gave prog heart and fun - actually listenable.

Grand Illusion a centerpiece of the subgenre.

What the fuck is the Ramones (a critical darling) but buttrock for edgy teens?

>Styx, Kansas, Rush gave prog heart and fun - actually listenable

I beg to differ on the listenable part. Especially Rush.

>autistic fedora libertarian fantasies for /r9k/fags

Fooling yourself

Yeah but critics all want to be the ones who decide what buttrock your teenager listens to because they're elitist Bohemians who know what's better for you than you do.

Exactly what part? Having synths and keyboards featured prominently in a song?
And what song is it a ripoff of?

Prog was genuinely groundbreaking in the early 70s, by 1975 it had just turned into commercialized sludge like Kansas. Peter Gabriel got smart and called it quits before it was too late; unfortunately Yes didn't get the message.

Youre fooling yourself if you don't beleive it

i'm not talking about them ripping off induvidual songs, i'm talking about the style dumbass

youtube.com/watch?v=H-rdL2KkvzY
youtube.com/watch?v=mI2ej_ctM9I

You really don't hear the similarities? Do I really have to point them out for you?

Styx were Midwestern guys and typical of heartland America; their music had an almost innocuous, nerdy quality to it that contrasted sharply with the edgy, androgynous Los Angeles and New York rock scenes. One could not imagine an LA band singing "Fooling Yourself".

Why must you be such an angry young man?

never realized how similar angry young man and you and I sound